Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Tenloss HFB-HVV Fusion Reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
121228_NP_Illustration_power.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

Intent: To create a high powered, heavy duty, and high durability fusion engine for use in heavy tanks, vehicles, and defensive weapon installations.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Tenloss Corporation
Model: HFB-HVV Fusion Reactor
Affiliation: Tenloss Corporation, Open Market
Modularity: None
Production: Mass
Material: Reinforced Alusteel, Reinforced Durasteel, Agrinium, Reinforced Duraplast, Hydrogen, various electronics, and other fusion reactor materials.
Weight: 7 tonnes
Description:

Taking Tenloss in a new direction, Popo authorized the construction of a new type of reactor for militarized use. Instead of using premade, subcontracted, or older designs and models of engines, the Heavy Fusion Bottle - Heavy Vehicle Variant, or HFB-HVV Fusion Reactor was designed and manufactured.

Designed to be resilient, reliable, and durable in nearly any situation or scenario, the HFB-HVV is the perfect choice for heavier vehicles and military installations galaxy wide. The engine is designed around a fusion core held in place by powerful electromagnets set into the walls of the internal fusion bottle. The physical internal container is made of reinforced Alusteel in a sequence of insulated layers. Outside of this lies a series of insulated layers consisting of reinforced Durasteel followed by a few layers of Agrinium. The outer shell is multiple layers of reinforced Duraplast. This helps prevent external damage from enemy attacks, fire, and corrosion. It can even protect against lightsaber blows, though repeated blows or prolonged exposure will burn through eventually.

Most, if not all, of the parts that make up the engine are redundant and easily replaced. The engine features an emergency shutdown failsafe that activates should the power drain prove too much for the engine's output. The shutdown prevents any potential meltdowns or fusion bottle ruptures before they occur. The electromagnetic "bottle" that prevents the fusion core from melting the engine itself has a redundancy feature as well. In the event of a power loss to the primary electromagnet, a secondary series of magnets comes online in less than a second, preventing an engine failure, and can function just as long as the primary set. In the event of catastrophic failure, a small series of emergency electromagnets activates, again in less than one second after power loss, that will prevent engine failure or fusion bottle rupture. However, this last line of defense has its limits and can only function for approximately two hours before draining the power cells equipped to the device completely.

The Fusion core itself operates on a Proton-Proton chain reaction, similar to stars. In this process, two proton pairs combine to form two deuterium atoms, which in turn combine to form a helium-3 atom. Two helium-3 atoms then combine to create a Beryllium-6 atom, which is highly unstable. The Beryllium-6 atom then decays into two helium-4 atoms. This chain reaction produces energy, light, and gamma radiation.

The only real downside to the reactor is that the design is heavier than most reactors of its kind, meaning the engine will weigh down vehicles a bit more than more conventional reactors, and that in a catastrophic failure of the engine the resulting fusion explosion will more than likely destroy whatever the engine is mounted it. It will also more than likely create a rather spectacular crater.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Aaralyn Rekali"] [member="Asemir Lor'kora"]
Actually, if it's okay, can we swap it to Under Review or WIP? I was thinking about it and I never really stated how it was resilient or properly explained the durability really well. I can go into detail with reaction material, too. Overall, I just can't find full satisfaction with the description so I wanna fix it :p

As I already have passed it on and there was a question raised by RPJ, I leave it to Asemir.

However....

I do believe it still looks fine. Google works wonders.

[member="Popo"]

How did you come up with the mass? I'm genuinely curious. I can't decide if that's too light or just right, but I don't think it's going to matter because I'm quibbling over a handful of tons. Plus, I don't believe SW has any construction rules that take into account volume and tonnage. (I don't think there are any canon SW construction rules for that matter.)

In any case, this looks good. I assume that the reaction mass is hydrogen fueled. My only concern is in the last paragraph. Fusion reactors don't explode catastrophically, at least not the magnetic bottle types. As soon as the containment field fails, the plasma will hit the various reactor layers and cool immediately, thus immediately skipping the fusion reaction. There's no explosion.

Even so, I'll let you decide if you want to keep the explosion in or not. :)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]
Mass as in the weight? I tossed a number out that seemed appropriate. I can edit if you'd like.

As for the explosion, if it's okay I'd like to keep it because it gives the thing a definitive weakness and... let's be honest, everyone loves a good plasma fireball :p I can edit it out and replace it with something else, though, if you'd like.

[member="Popo"]

Yeah, the weight. I don't like using the term weight because it's affected by gravity. But, I think it's fine. Ten tons seems more reasonable but it's only a minor difference.

You can keep the explosion if you'd like. The scientist in me is just screaming Noooooooo! :p

Approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom