Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Teleportation powers suck.

This might be odd...But I prefer it for "travel" purposes over PVP applications, myself. Just like anything else, force or tech-related...It depends mostly on how it gets used. I do not yuck the yum of anyone who likes it or hates it, but offering my genuine thoughts.

I have two characters that utilize it thematically, but even still, I keep it rather restrained. It's not because I don't like it, but because I believe infrequency is a better use of it (for these characters) rather than a combat trick, because having them arrive somewhere they reasonably should not be makes the ability feel eerie and significant. Even if it doesn't and it's all in my head...it makes ME feel like it matters. If I write them blinking around every lightsaber duel, it starts to feel like a game mechanic, and that's just not my bag.

Now..Characters that are designed that way, that's their fighting style, totally different story...They're cool doing their thing.

This is just how I use it for mine.

So...We know teleporting or "fast travel" exists in Star Wars. From fold-space to Aing-Tii techniques, force storms, dark travel, Loth-Wolves, night sisters, portals, rifts, to just flat-out teleportation. It's not just fringe canon. We, writers of SWRP, are often writing super-powered beings or have so much futuristic tech we might as well be. We shoot lightning from our fingertips, raise the dead, heal mortal wounds, bring literal moons down out of the sky, create tornadoes with bombs...

But moving very quickly is where we draw the line?

Could it be annoying? Heck yeah. If someone blinks in 2 feet behind their opponent with no warning, preparation, or cost, it can be a little tricky to counter and feel like it's still in the spirit of fairplay if they just keep blinking in and out over and over. Is it inherently wrong? Lackluster? Does it destroy a story? Goodness, no. What you're going through here isn't a "teleportation" problem; that's an RP problem that I'd suggest talking to your opponent kindly about.

Most of the time, when you have a real issue and come at it politely, with goodwill, not snark or nitpicking, the outcome will be favorable.

Now...When someone is using it thematically, narratively, or as travel?

It's basically functioning as a scene transition. Time on SWRP is fluid, where writers already compress travel constantly...Hyperspace jumps that should take weeks happen in a paragraph. Chronology is already fuzzy AF - What's the functional difference between how the character moves from Point A to Point B? If a character survived because medics pulled them out of rubble, or they teleported away from the bomb before or as it went off?

You could say it cheapens the dramatic impact of the bomb...But there are other factors to consider:

Did the character get away scot-free?

Did their friends get away? Does that character have to watch in horror, knowing that they may have saved themselves but left everyone else to die?

Did they get absolutely mangled because they couldn't get away fast enough?

I'm perplexed, to be honest. It seems like a strange path of elitism to decide that "teleportation" simply happening means that the story is somehow less impactful, when it really depends on how the writer lets it impact their character. Who decides when there are enough consequences? When it's used correctly or not? I'd wager, the writer who wrote it. If they enjoyed it and were satisfied with it? Is that not what we're here for? Enjoyment?

I feel bad for people reading this and thinking, "Wow, I teleported - Did I cheapen my story?" - No, you did not. You wrote what felt right to you. You're lovely, just as lovely as the hypothetical person who chose another path. You're all equally, lovely.
 
PATRIMONIUM
This might be odd...But I prefer it for "travel" purposes over PVP applications, myself. Just like anything else, force or tech-related...It depends mostly on how it gets used. I do not yuck the yum of anyone who likes it or hates it, but offering my genuine thoughts.

I have two characters that utilize it thematically, but even still, I keep it rather restrained. It's not because I don't like it, but because I believe infrequency is a better use of it (for these characters) rather than a combat trick, because having them arrive somewhere they reasonably should not be makes the ability feel eerie and significant. Even if it doesn't and it's all in my head...it makes ME feel like it matters. If I write them blinking around every lightsaber duel, it starts to feel like a game mechanic, and that's just not my bag.

Now..Characters that are designed that way, that's their fighting style, totally different story...They're cool doing their thing.

This is just how I use it for mine.

So...We know teleporting or "fast travel" exists in Star Wars. From fold-space to Aing-Tii techniques, force storms, dark travel, Loth-Wolves, night sisters, portals, rifts, to just flat-out teleportation. It's not just fringe canon. We, writers of SWRP, are often writing super-powered beings or have so much futuristic tech we might as well be. We shoot lightning from our fingertips, raise the dead, heal mortal wounds, bring literal moons down out of the sky, create tornadoes with bombs...

But moving very quickly is where we draw the line?

Could it be annoying? Heck yeah. If someone blinks in 2 feet behind their opponent with no warning, preparation, or cost, it can be a little tricky to counter and feel like it's still in the spirit of fairplay if they just keep blinking in and out over and over. Is it inherently wrong? Lackluster? Does it destroy a story? Goodness, no. What you're going through here isn't a "teleportation" problem; that's an RP problem that I'd suggest talking to your opponent kindly about.

Most of the time, when you have a real issue and come at it politely, with goodwill, not snark or nitpicking, the outcome will be favorable.

Now...When someone is using it thematically, narratively, or as travel?

It's basically functioning as a scene transition. Time on SWRP is fluid, where writers already compress travel constantly...Hyperspace jumps that should take weeks happen in a paragraph. Chronology is already fuzzy AF - What's the functional difference between how the character moves from Point A to Point B? If a character survived because medics pulled them out of rubble, or they teleported away from the bomb before or as it went off?

You could say it cheapens the dramatic impact of the bomb...But there are other factors to consider:

Did the character get away scot-free?

Did their friends get away? Does that character have to watch in horror, knowing that they may have saved themselves but left everyone else to die?

Did they get absolutely mangled because they couldn't get away fast enough?

I'm perplexed, to be honest. It seems like a strange path of elitism to decide that "teleportation" simply happening means that the story is somehow less impactful, when it really depends on how the writer lets it impact their character. Who decides when there are enough consequences? When it's used correctly or not? I'd wager, the writer who wrote it. If they enjoyed it and were satisfied with it? Is that not what we're here for? Enjoyment?

I feel bad for people reading this and thinking, "Wow, I teleported - Did I cheapen my story?" - No, you did not. You wrote what felt right to you. You're lovely, just as lovely as the hypothetical person who chose another path. You're all equally, lovely.
Gosh. Can I report emotional distress with you using Cybelle's account to say this? T_T

My current revised thesis statement is as follows:
Unless teleportation powers have drawbacks or limitations and/or are used judiciously, they can significantly undermine dramatic tension.

This is a far cry from: Teleportation exists so now the story is meaningless. You are also adding modifiers to how it can be used well, but then suggesting that to say so in different words is a path of elitism. This perplexes me?

I agree with 99.9% of what you said, and oddly...I think you actually agree with what my primary statement is. There is that one word that stuck in my craw.

I do wonder if calling it elitist to dislike teleportation as a whole is a bit harsh. I am sure most people have canon aspects that they don't like. Is it elitist to express dislike over aspects of Star Wars canon when no one is asking for a ban on said aspect or rules to be applied to restrict it? The full expectation of myself, and probably anyone that has taken a more ardent stance than I, is that we will continue to exist, thrive and enjoy our RP in a place that rightly continues to let teleportation exist as a useable power.

Maybe the best way for me to approach this conversation would have been: "Hey, people that use teleportation in your character's skillset, what sort of consequences or cost do you attribute to keep that balanced?" But likely someone would have gotten their nose out of joint because they thought I was insisting they did so, otherwise they were somehow less than me.

Despite the edgy title, I think I have been respectful and measured in how I have responded to people, especially those that were willing to counter my initial thoughts. And I let them change my mind. Being told I am on the path to elitism in spite of this makes me very sad.

< 3 u
 
Gosh. Can I report emotional distress with you using Cybelle's account to say this? T_T

Your wai-fu has to get your attention somehow while you're hiding from her in a backwoids cave AFTER GIVING HER A LITERAL HEART ATTACK. But, I digress.

Whether or not it's harsh to say "elitism" I'm not decided. But, I do know that people reading this who use teleportation as a core element in their fighting style probably won't read it and feel "good" about it. Why? This:

Unless teleportation powers have drawbacks or limitations and/or are used judiciously, they can significantly undermine dramatic tension.

What consequences do we expect from force storms, telekinesis, solar canons, and every other bit of intense and OP tech and powers we employ? By and large... None. What is it about TP that makes it worthy of such scrutiny?

I know how I like to use it which very well may align with the way you like to use it or see it used (if it is). But that's just me. I don't see anything wrong with anyone using any Force Power or technology and not having to agonize over drawbacks or risk "undermining dramatic tension" from the perspective of someone else. That's pressure and external expectation added where there doesn't need to be AND it implies that someone (or several) are using it incorrectly by a certain invisible standard.

Yes. Everyone has their likes and dislikes... There are plenty of pieces of technology and force powers that aren't my favorite. But that's an issue for me not everyone else. I was also speaking more to the general public that might be reading and not specifically to you - You just happen to be the OP.

PS: Love you too. <3
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom