PATRIMONIUM
Title is hyperbolic, but I have your attention now. So, it worked.
This does not come from any negative experience on the board, and nobody has used teleportation powers in a thread or scene I was writing. This is purely a thought I had while contemplating the Mandalorian and Grogu movie.
I did not care for said movie. It was not the worst thing I have ever watched, but it was not particularly enjoyable. And I think I identified the reason why. There was very little true peril. I think only in the one scene with the giant snake creature did I feel any sense of threat or danger.
As I contemplated peril in storytelling, I began to ponder teleportation as a power. And thought about how many times my characters have been in dire situations, and in order for them to survive they (and I) needed to really dig deep and be creative. In the last invasion, I came preloaded with like three or four possibilities for escape that were seeded into posts along the way, just to try and make it realistic when, or if, it happened.
So, your thoughts on this statement:
Unless teleportation powers add their own perils, they fundamentally undermine dramatic tension.
This does not come from any negative experience on the board, and nobody has used teleportation powers in a thread or scene I was writing. This is purely a thought I had while contemplating the Mandalorian and Grogu movie.
I did not care for said movie. It was not the worst thing I have ever watched, but it was not particularly enjoyable. And I think I identified the reason why. There was very little true peril. I think only in the one scene with the giant snake creature did I feel any sense of threat or danger.
As I contemplated peril in storytelling, I began to ponder teleportation as a power. And thought about how many times my characters have been in dire situations, and in order for them to survive they (and I) needed to really dig deep and be creative. In the last invasion, I came preloaded with like three or four possibilities for escape that were seeded into posts along the way, just to try and make it realistic when, or if, it happened.
So, your thoughts on this statement:
Unless teleportation powers add their own perils, they fundamentally undermine dramatic tension.