Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Taking Down Space Wizards 101

Passing on the knowledge to fight and kill force users... Sure, it's been done before. Tons of times. But as far as he knew no one before had gotten university lectures on the subject, studied with other FUs to get into their heads and know their weaknesses, trained for years and competed against other students to be the best. And it was a dying knowledge, all those tactics and mind-games. He had sort of planned to take it to his grave. The more he spread it around the more it would be used against the good guys, really. Even if he worked for the GA specifically to teach them everything he knew, let them continue the training... some guy down the line would go rouge and switch sides. Somebody would fall to the promise of power and greed. And it would get a lot of good Jedi and others killed. Might be the turning point in a war. Knowledge was power, the highest tier of power.

But when Samuel Exel Samuel Exel asked to be tutored in the subject, he agreed. He wouldn't be able to teach Sam everything, not even in daily classes. Not everything he had learned. But he could give him the basics, the best ways to take them out and survive. Who knew, maybe he'd spread these teachings to the rest of TFN. Though, he knew them far less than he knew Sam. He trusted Sam.

So he sat with a few datapads on one table, a bunch of tech and gizmos on another, a range of weapons from his own wall on a third, and a selection of medical supplies on a fourth. All were designed to teach about taking down Force Users in a particular way or dealing with how they can hurt you. He figured Sam, as a bounty hunter, would know a bit more than some teenage kid like he had been when he started, but going over everything again never hurt.

Dominik Borra Dominik Borra

Some core part of his being will always gravitate towards identifying as a Hunter. It is what he has molded himself to be, regardless of how that definition has warped in recent years. He had his own tenants, his own methods, his own style. Every decent Bounty Hunter had one. He was inspired by Mandalorians, but theirs was a lifestyle he could likely never truly follow, no matter how much his equipment seemed to replicate their strengths. So he had taken to even more unique and exotic technology. And that has led him to more successful ventures.

But if there was one thing, one critical issue of which he had come to blows with multiple times on occasion, was the Force. Samuel only had rough understandings of it. How it could be used. What he’s seen it used for. He despised it. This was not to mention Force Sensitives had a tendency to have incredibly large prices on their head, either by one side or the other. But ultimately, he did not know how to properly deal with it, and frankly he doubted that he nor anyone not gifted in the accursed art could fully do so.

Samuel had arrived with all of his usual equipment. His armor, carbine, pistols, his baton and whatever typically carried on his person. All tools of the trade. He had slipped inside the spacious training room, his hand shifting from the sling he clung to as visor met the eyes of the other individual. “I really do appreciate this, Dominik.” He would speak first, as he had come to stand before him. “I hope it doesn’t feel like…I’m taking advantage of you, for this.” He had requested only after he learned of Dominik’s past during the Orientation. It felt a little manipulative to ask for training in this manner after learning that fact. Perhaps it was just his nerves talking. He didn’t want someone to believe he only valued them based on what they could offer him; too often, had that mentality been detrimental to Samuel. “I’m being serious when I say this might just save my life in the near future. You know… Task Force and all.” Hand gesticulates to accentuate his point, but regardless he attempts to make his gratitude clear for the acceptance of his request. “I only know some basics to get me by, but not much else.”

Dominik nodded as Samuel Exel Samuel Exel spoke. "It probably will. I hope it does. But I want you to know I can't teach you everything. We could have weekly classes and I still wouldn't get to everything I know. I learned most of it in the field or by sparring against Sith Assassins. I can only give you so much." He leaned back in his chair. "If you've studied a martial art then you are familiar with learning the concept and frame of mind with which the art was formed. I'm going to start there, roughly." He took a breath. "The Force is bigger than either of us. Bigger than the Galactic Alliance and the Empire and the One Sith. Bigger than any of these nations that rally to one side of The Force or the other, past and present and future. Bigger than the Jedi and the Sith and all the in-betweens these days. It's in all things, the plants and animals and the rocks and us. Now, we can't interact with it, we aren't sensitive to it. So all we can really worry about is what we do to influence the galaxy around us. We can only worry and focus about the future of the people around us, and how we can make the place better. Because, whether we like it or not, The Force is always going to be around and have a massive impact on people's lives.

"Those under nations suffer or benefit from the politics and policies set by the governments, there are always those who suffer and those who thrive. But historically more people thrive and are happier under Light-sided governments. The Light Side is selfless and empathetic, and so the governments steer that direction. They aren't perfect, but they are better than the selfish tyrannical Dark Side governments. Even one right-minded tyrant who does good by his people won't excuse what came before or who will come after him.

"What I'm about to teach you, with the limited time we have, the best ways I know how to combat and deal with Force Users. These tactics work against Sith and Jedi alike. I know you're a Bounty Hunter, but you'll have to aim this knowledge responsibly, just like a blaster. Taking out Jedi might pay well, but it doesn't turn out well for a lot of people down the line. Those are the best guys we have. I'm not telling you what bounties you can and cannot take, but I'm letting you know all this upfront. Understand?"

His hands idly folded in front of himself as he listened to Dominik’s general explanation. “Vaguely studied.” Came his response regarding martial arts. He was no virtuoso in that particular field - the only thing he really ‘knew’ of martial arts was what he was forced to learn in the thick of it. His face scrunched some as he listened to his brief explanation of The Force. So that's how it worked? Odd. And it was even moreso annoying that you couldn’t really get rid of it. “Lovely.” Was his only bland comment towards the initial introduction.

Then he listened to Dominik go on about governments. About how the Light-sided ones tended to do better than Dark-sided ones. “I wasn’t aware there was a difference or ‘sides,’ asides from politics.” Samuel spoke in reply. “I assume this… so-called ‘Dark’ side is where all the more unhinged ones come from?” Queried briefly. “Because those are the ones I’ve mostly had the displeasure of dealing with. Bastards would strangle you for looking at ‘em funny.” There was a mild annoyance from thoughts of previous encounters, dismissed as quickly as they came. He knew little of the specifics of the Force, its intricacies. Just what it can do, and how to deal with it. What the other individual was explaining was new territory.

Underneath his helmet, his brow rose at Dominik’s next lightly-put request of Samuel. This being, to be aware that taking out a Jedi could lead to consequences that he didn’t fully care to think about. The only reason he would was because Dominik was the one making the request. For a moment, he stared at him silently, quietly regarding this proposition for a moment. “I’ll keep it in mind.” In an earnest response. “My typical targets of that ilk consist of the ones who have gone off the deep end. If there are individuals like what you describe, then they wouldn’t have a Bounty I’d be interested in. I’ll act in self defense as prudent, if I do encounter any.” It was the best the Hunter could give his word on - never really one for lying or stretching the truth. He couldn’t make any concrete promises he could always avoid a conflict with a Jedi; this line of work, in the end, bordered law and lawlessness. There was no guarantee things would work out one way, or another. A point he has been seeing an increasing amount of cases proving lately.

Dominik had thought him going over the sides of the Force and how it was in everything would be common knowledge. But from Samuel Exel Samuel Exel 's response, it wasn't. It was genuine news to him. Then Sam agreed, best he could, to what Dominik was asking him. "Ones that go off the deep end need to be stopped. But the ones doing their duty are the good guys for the rest of us." He left it at that and took a breath, then said, "I'd like to see your face while we talk, Sam." He said, expecting the helmet to come off. He really wasn't sure why he kept that on so much. He returned to the subject of The Force.

"So, sides of the Force. In some philosophies, like Gray or Silver Jedi teachings, there is no side or they think balancing those sides within ones self is possible. These sides can be more simply described as Light emotions, happiness, joy, awe, excitement, and Dark emotions, fear, hate, sorrow, desperation, pain. Force Users draw on these emotions when touching and interacting with The Force, and it shapes their influence and power. Some Force Powers are only obtainable through one of the sides. Like Lightning is a Dark Side power, and for the most part, the power to see the future is a Light Side power.

"The Light Side is empathetic, they care about people and their happiness. They want to protect and foster. Seeing a person in distress and pain makes them feel the same, and they want to stop it. Dark Siders are selfish and cruel. They hunger for power and they are usually insane in one way or another. They are likely to kill others, including each other, for gain and advantage. They are constantly drawing on sadness or anger or pain, physical pain, in order to feel the connection to The Force and grow stronger. So yeah, they are the unhinged ones. Never trust one with watching your back.

"These sides are... magnetic. They pull one way and the other, as long as the Sensitive is willing and turned in the right direction.
" He picked up two square magnets from a table. He held them, one in each hand, and pushed them towards each other. They repelled each other, both having the same polarity. "Normally someone is pretty secure on their side once they find it. Jedi don't easily switch to the Dark Side, but with life and attachments and pain and our own sentient desires, some do. They turn." He turned on magnet in his fingers and let it go, and it snapped to the other magnet. "Same goes for Sith, really. It's all about who you are inside, what you really want. Happiness, or power. You can have all the right intentions in the world but if power is their answer, they'll fall to the dark side." He put the magnets on the table.

"Now, emotions are going to continue being a big part going forward. But did you get all that?"

He nodded in agreement over the fact that the ones who went off the deep end were the ones that needed to be stopped. Not that Sam would only limit his target list to those who were such; like Dominik said, even tyrants with the right intents were still tyrants. He cared little for politics, but he knew of the atrocities going on out there being conducted by the group known as the ‘Sith.’

As Samuel was prompted for his face, said face scrunched under his helmet some. “Why?” Were the words the came immediately, without thought. Another moment of staring in silence, assumedly listening to a reasonable explanation, before giving a soft annoyed sigh. “Fine. Very well. This place better be secure.” Hands shift from their fold in front of him, as he pressed at his vambrace. Helmet depressurized, and he took it off. Underneath this, was another fully-covered layer of a bodyglove. Nothing was spared to chance. He pulled the mask of that off, too, and held both under his arm, expression fairly monotone compared to how it normally was at the Star Lounge. He didn’t really feel the need to keep up appearances.

There was more listening to Dominik’s explanations of the ‘sides.’ From the sounds of it, the only ones he’s ever fought have been Dark Siders. “Sounds like a pretty obnoxious tool if it’s at your throat every second.” In mild comment. “I understand. Makes sense, all I’ve ever really fought are fools who couldn’t keep their anger or some chit in check enough to prevent me from having issues with them.” Other hand shifts to hold his neck as does a small roll of his shoulders - adjustment from the lack of Helmet. Feels weird, still.

“Fine. Very well. This place better be secure.”
"You don't see me hiding my face here." He said. He was in his more casual clothes. Or what passed for casual for Dominik. The suit he was wearing and button-up shirt were armored for protection, but also comfortable. Business wear for him was armor. For Sam he suspected it was the other way around, but when talking about these subjects he wanted to be able to read and gauge who he was talking to.

"Sounds like you've mostly encountered Sith or those like them. Good that you've come away in one piece then. Now Force Users, everything around a padawan's level and up really- Padawans and Acolytes are Jedi and Sith in training-" He added for clarity's sake, "-is able to have the Force tell them when they are in danger, where it is coming from, and possibly other instructions on how to avoid it. Now this works when they are in their respective right minds. But you surprise them, confuse them at a sentient level, and it might take them a while to recover. Prime example would be the Jedi Order being destroyed pre-BBY by their own army. You can think of them having two minds, one on the Force and one that's sentient. But only one controls their body, the other is just operating a really powerful warning system. So, two methods of making sure you kill a Force User.

"One: Surprise the User themselves. These are long cons, getting trust and into their inner circle before dropping something on them. Now this is tricky because The Force can tip them off if you even have the thought or intent of betraying them when you are nearby. You have to be disciplined to not think heavily on it, not let it even be the forefront of your mind, or second. You have to surprise yourself almost when you pull the trigger. That leads us to...

"Two: Surprise the Force. Anything you do with the intent to harm the User or anyone near them will tip them off. You could be throwing an asteroid at them from behind a moon, and they'd sense the danger coming. A bomb that they are nearing that you hold the trigger for? They'll steer around it. They may not know exactly what the danger is, but they'll know to turn away. So you have to set everything up, from your punches to pulling the trigger to driving your ship into theirs, with the mindset of some happy place. You have to commit your mind to handle the tasks like they were routine without the mental motivation or intent on causing harm. You do, the User knows and will likely survive. If you fight one with anger and the intent to do harm, they'll sense every strike and block you. It's a bit counter-intuitive in a fist fight, but your mind has to be somewhere else and your body has to react naturally.

"The advantage of the second path is that most every Force User is trained to listen to The Force, to their feelings, when in combat and in stressful situations. Listening to their feelings is how they know when and where to block, to run, or where to press an advantage. They are highly skilled warriors but if you are able to circumnavigate their early warning system, which they are so used to, they are thrown off balance. They can still kill you,, but when they are off balance they are vulnerable. They will be trying to figure out why they can't sense you're movements and actions while you press the attack. And, if everything goes right, you win.

"Now that is all assuming you get into a physical confrontation with one, which if you are trying to kill one, is the worst way to go about it."
He stood up and walked over to the table with tech and gizmos and monitors. "That's where tech comes in. Really, tampering with hyperdrives to make them only take half the ship or a bomb to take out the nearby airlock is a far simpler way to kill a FU than trying to shoot them in the head."

Samuel continued to quietly listen along, his face was stoic and mostly impassive. When he didn’t want to give away what he was thinking, he was good at it. Not that he didn’t trust Dominik; it was more so the fact that he felt uncomfortable without his helmet on. It naturally made him feel guarded. It was true; most times, Samuel felt more casual in his armor than in a suit. Perhaps it was just that old habits die hard, and all that.

As more explanation was given, the Hunter gave a small nod of affirmation, “That is the part I know. Guarding one’s mind. The basic premise, anyways. I generally am able to pull it off in a fight, though if there’s some sort of advanced method, I wouldn’t mind hearing it.” As the other trailed past, his head tilted some as gaze followed. He knew some vague idea that they had a warning system of some sort. How else could they dodge bolts like it was nothing? It was the only, feasible explanation when he first saw it. Chalked it up to cybernetics at first.

“I usually don’t have the means or time to orchestrate a ship doing something like that.” He said in a mild reply to the last part. Most often, he was in head-to-head engagements. Frankly he didn’t think there was ever a time he really had the chance to pre-mediate something like that. “Technology for head-to-head fights is the most likely scenario that’s going to happen, for me.” Samuel admitted, looking with intrigue at the table laden with aforementioned gizmos. Bounty Hunting often consisted of jobs where you don’t get the luxury of laying a trap beforehand. In fact, it was usually the other way around. Regardless, he would have to keep the option in mind for later. “I’m all ears for suggestions.” Attentive, in his gaze and demeanor.

“That is the part I know. Guarding one’s mind. The basic premise, anyways. I generally am able to pull it off in a fight, though if there’s some sort of advanced method, I wouldn’t mind hearing it.”
"There's not really an advanced way, aside from maybe cybernetics in your brain to do it for you, but I'm not sure how much that would work. Years of practice is how I manage it."

“I usually don’t have the means or time to orchestrate a ship doing something like that.” “Technology for head-to-head fights is the most likely scenario that’s going to happen, for me.” “I’m all ears for suggestions.”
Dominik let out a breath. "You normally bring the tech with you to do the specific job. It's not something you do at the spur of the moment. But that was the work of my past unit." He turned away from the tech. "That's not a thing you'll be doing, you want to defend against Force Users you happen to encounter. But if you don't plan to encounter a Force User and you do, well you know how much trouble that is."

Dominik thought for a moment about combat tech and what he found useful to trip up Force Users. Explosives were his favorite, but that required previous set-up and precise throws. Sam could throw a grenade, but he liked tech for his armor, tools he could use. "Stun blasts are pretty good against incapacitating them. It's not something they can deflect and have to move out of the way. Shooting those to drive a User toward a desired location or away works. I've used electrified nets with multiple batteries before. Even when cut they continue their job and can disable them. You already know this, but early Mandalorian weaponry was designed for fighting Jedi. But that also included tech and armor designed for their force powers along with their sabers. If you plan to fight against Sith, then that means different force abilities. Choking, Lightning, mental attacks, the works.

"My own armor has a faraday cage and mag boots, allowing Lightning to disperse and ground out more easily. Force Choke bypasses armor, but the right response is the best defense. Mental attacks are harder to train you on. I can only tell you some exercises and what to do, but putting up your own mental defenses and how they operate would be up to you. The right response for that is also the best defense."

“I’m not in the market for cybernetics, and I don’t think I ever will be. Messy things, too much risk.” He would speak in reply. “Practice will do fine.” Measured unease was left unspoken - armor was one thing, cybernetics that link directly to your body were another. He thought about it a couple times, sure, but ultimately couldn’t bring himself to get any. The potential tradeoffs felt worse.

As Dominik listed some of his own equipment, it was easy for Samuel to pick out similarities and equipment he already used. As the other predicted, he was indeed well-acquainted with Mandalorian tech, if the armor was not already enough indication. “Nets. That’s a new one,” With a musing hum. “I’ll look into it. Think I used to use, something similar.” Then the once-agent listed off, the abilities. Their names. Sounded like a bunch of hullabaloo, to him. Didn’t really think there was a ‘name’ for them, more just descriptions of what they did. None of the ones he knew so far were good. “That’s fine, I think I’ve a decent handle on mental stuff if there’s, nothing more to it.” Samuel said in reply.

“Is there a way to deal with that damnable--” Hand gestures in a ‘gripping’ sort of motion. “Thing, where can they just grab you or some chit? Choke? Can't they snap your neck in half, if they're good at it?” In some far-off recollection, he remembered being victim to it, once. In retrospect, t must've been an inexperienced one though - they didn’t restrain his arms. “Or, I guess the more apt question; what other equipment is your preferred stuff. If you don’t mind sharing. You know more ‘bout this, after all, I’m just the learner for the day.” Accompanied by a bemused exhale. “Some of the stuff you’ve listed, aye, I’ve some of that stuff. Like the boots and such.”

“...I’m curious, how’d you end up working for Task Force Null at the same time as, you know, the other stuff.”
He queried. “Unless that’s too prying, ‘course. Don’t have t’answer me.” Added somewhat sheepishly to the end. Still getting used to social encounters. Didn’t see a reason for this to be all business-talk. Not often you get the chance to have some normal conversation.

“Is there a way to deal with that damnable--” “Thing, where can they just grab you or some chit? Choke? Can't they snap your neck in half, if they're good at it?” “Or, I guess the more apt question; what other equipment is your preferred stuff. If you don’t mind sharing. You know more ‘bout this, after all, I’m just the learner for the day.”

Dominik pursed his lips. "You're right, some are more powerful than others and can take hold of your body. Some choke, some restrain and take your arm and make you shoot your friends. It's terrible, but the best way to defend against it is to defeat it as quickly as you can. There are a couple ways to do this, but they all accomplish the same thing. Breaking their concentration. Imagine for me a wheel in your head, spinning clockwise. Then add another one. Another two wheels. And another four. Now another eight. Now keep concentrating on all of them, make sure they are all spinning." He reached out to the table of tech and picked up a small metal device, no bigger than a large metal coin, that had a small red button on it. "A force user has to concentrate their mind to use their powers. For them, it's maybe a hundred wheels or more, but you get the idea." He closed his eyes and pressed the button.

The device let out an ear-piercing scream, the device oscillating between pitches too high for normal human hearing, too low, and everything in between that made your eardrums wish they bled. He clicked it again and it turned off, the echo of the blast still ringing in his ears. He rolled his jaw and ears. It was only activated for perhaps half of a second, but it still disoriented you. "Still got those wheels spinning?" He asked after a few seconds, teeth showing in his smile. "Best way to defend against a Force Choke is to defeat it. No concentration, no Force Choke. That principle applies to any force powers. So blasting them with a sonic attack is possible. You'll have the instinct to grab at your throat, to fight whatever is grabbing you. You want to reach for your blaster or anything else you got to kill or disorient the user. Hitting them in the head with a rock or broken piece of metal works too. Whatever you can do to ruin their concentration, that's the goal." He could have put in ear protection, save himself the trouble but if he wasn't willing to put himself through it he wasn't going to put Sam through it. "But as soon as you drop from their hold, they'll be... upset. Will probably throw something at you or shoot you as soon as they can. You have to be faster, moving out of the way or shooting first." He bounced his knee a couple of times. "General rule of thumb on fighting Force Users, really. Be faster. Always faster."

“...I’m curious, how’d you end up working for Task Force Null at the same time as, you know, the other stuff.” He queried. “Unless that’s too prying, ‘course. Don’t have t’answer me.”

Dominik took a second to think about his answer. "I met Tiric. Through him I made contact with the GA. They were putting together the TFN, back in its prototype stage when it went by another acronym and thought I worked well for it. I joined."

"As for my own gear..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom