Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take The Moment

The Crimson Sparrow was relatively quiet in the middle of the day considering most of the crew still had the day off. The Disciple of Ren liked it that way, especially since she’d stayed on the ship ever since the debacle at the hotel a few days ago. She had no urge to search for another reasonable room, instead opting to stay in her cabin. The crew had adapted to her coming and goings without much fuss, staying out of her way unless she had specific need for them.

Today, she just wanted the control room to herself for a while. She had a call to make and a meeting to arrange. Her footsteps echoed down the metal hallways, devoid of other presences or sounds. The door slid open to reveal the co-pilot of the ship working on….Ara had no clue what and honestly had no desire to learn.

One look from the young girl had the crewman saluting and scurrying for another location. She smiled to herself as the door shut behind him. It was nice to work with soldiers and crew who didn’t need to be told twice.

She approached the console and unclipped her cloak, draping it over the pilot’s seat. She settled into the chair and quickly activated the ship’s com unit. Pulling the small chip the ex-Jedi had given her days ago. Dropping the chip into the appropriate slot, she settled into the seat, one elbow propped on the arm-rest, chin sitting comfortably in her palm.

She waited until the holo activated, tapping her nails on the edge of the of the console.

“Good morning, Mr. Harrison. I trust this is a good time?”

She smiled sweetly, knowing he’d be expecting the communication from the Disciple. Now she just had to wait for his response.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Standing and looking at the suit he wore the other night, folded up on the floor, he smiled and shook his head at what the night had presented. Those things were always going to be tough for him. He doubted he'd need it anytime soon.

The crimson cloak hung over the pilots chair. His charcoal grey tunic was comfortable and freshly washed, sleeves rolled up and he was ready to go back to Avalonia and the First Order complex. He really had little else to do. The call from Matsu Xiangu would come, soon, hopefully...he had faith he would see her again, but then with her fingers in so many pies he wasn't going to be the first thought of a Sith Sorceress with so much of her own going on.

He was about to leave the ship for the second time that morning as the com sounded. Turning to the cockpit at the other end of the ship, he frowned, but smiled a little. Hopefully it would be who he thought it was.

Taking the signal in the small hold, he sat down before a small round table and patched it through.

There, before him, was the holographic image of one Ara Ren. The feed was live, and she was clearly waiting, but he couldn't see where she was.

"Ara. Thank you for contacting me. I hope you're well?”

She had made good on her word.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Her smile widened as he answered, her nails stopping their persistent rhythm. She tilted her head in her palm, her hair falling over one shoulder, past the arm of the chair. Much to her disappointment, the elegant clothing and elaborate hair from that night was long forgotten. Her usual attire of reds and blacks having returned.

Today she lounged in a black, off-the shoulder blouse under a maroon vest. Simple black pants and boots paled in comparison to the black leather belt with two saber hilts, very familiar to the ex-Jedi, hanging from it. The only spot of color was a silver chain around her neck, disappearing under her shirt.

"As well as can be expected after a night of good food, good company, and even better dancing."

Her eyes crinkled with mirth, temporarily thinking of the ball the night before. It had been far more interesting than she's ever imagined. She would have to remember to put in a request for more information on Captain Pharazon and his unit for future missions.

"I trust you found the evening enjoyable as well?"

She laughed a bit at the memory of the Ma'alkerrite she'd seen making him look acutely uncomfortable at one point in the evening.

"You had some very interesting company if memory serves correctly."

Connor couldn't help give a little wince.

"Yes, safe to say the company was...different to that I was expecting, but at least I didn't get arrested or hung out to dry."

He looked to the image of her and nodded in thanks.

"Glad you had a good night. But, glad you contacted me also. Do I consider this as a sign you can't resist my unpredictable company or your Master has been talking."

He shuffled in the chair, leaning back and crossing his leg over the other and tapped his fingers on the arm of the chair.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Her eyebrows winged up and her mouth pursed in silent laughter. She thought back to the first meeting when she had almost been the result of both for him. Her smile widened and she shifted her hand, resting one finger over her lips, the others curled under her chin.

"Which would you prefer it to be?" She purred, intrigued by his cockiness.

He'd been upfront, honest, even a little flirty at their first meeting, but this newfound confidence was a breath of fresh air. She scraped through her memory of the ball and smiled as she realized he'd been different then, as well. Amazing the change a few days could make. She idly wondered what had brought it on. It was highly unlikely the ex-Jedi she'd met wandering Avalonia looking for information on the mysterious Ren would have come to this revelation on his own. He'd mentioned Dxun when they parted days ago, she would have to do some research of her own.

She relaxed back against her chair slightly in response to his own change in posture.

He leaned forward a little.

"That's for you to find out. But I think you know which."

With that, he licked his lip quickly and sat back, feeling more comfortable than he had the first time around. The ritual on Dxun had done wonders for him.

"I mean, it's a win win for me either way, I'm just glad you got in touch as you seemed so popular at the ball I wondered if that former Jedi from Voss would be a fleeting thought after. But I guess not!"

He couldn't help chuckle.

"Okay, okay, I'm just teasing you. Go on. To what do I owe this pleasure, oh Disciple of Ren?"

[member="Ara Ren"]

Ara laughed, a quick bark of true amusement. He was definitely more confident than before. It was a nice change.

”Careful Connor or you’ll start to sound jealous.”

She watched him from lowered lids for a moment, debating needling him further.

Her expression changed, the flirty, easy-going smile becoming cold and calculating. This was business, not pleasure after all.

”My master has agreed to speak with you, as you expected. We will meet you here, in Avalonia. You may chose the location, if you wish.”

As her master has said, there was no point in denying the truth at this point, he’d just seek information elsewhere and endanger their cause.

Connor shook his head.

"No," came a confident answer. "Jealousy was a weakness that ruined my old life. I can't afford to be that anymore."

He was, a little, but previously it just made him look weak and petulant. That was not the path of the new Connor.

And Ara's news was positive, and a relief that certain things had worked.

"You let your Master know I appreciate his time, and his faith. And I appreciate your faith in me, too. I won't let you down or risk your cause. Location wise? I know few places to suit the secrecy you may want, except that garrison we danced our merry dance in before. I really don't mind, if you know anywhere? Somewhere away from prying eyes and ears of course."

[member="Ara Ren"]

She raised an eyebrow and ne side of her mouth quirked up in a smile as he called it a ‘dance’. She could think of many adjectives to describe their sparring match but that would not be one of them. There were too many hits to the face to consider it anything remotely graceful and pretty.

”It’s not me you have to convince. I’ll pass your message along.”

She tapped her fingers on the arm of her chair, mentally reviewing the map of Avalonia she’d been given weeks ago. The garrison could work, it was close enough to the spaceport that they would not be as apparent as somewhere closer to town.

”The garrison will work. I’ll arrange a private office, your name will grant you access.”

She gave him a time, after dark, when the rest of the city would be asleep.

”Until then.”

She leaned forward to deactivate the holo.

Connor looked at her, noting the little smile, but then the seriousness of her face and tone. And before he could reply, she deactivated and he was looking at the table where the projection had come through.

There would be a good couple of hours at least before he started off for the garrison, as he didn't expect the Ren to move around in daylight. But, then, why not? Why continue a charade of being secret when everyone knew they must exist? Enfore their power with sight, that was the way.

Still, it wasn't his place. He was thankful to at least meet one of them in a position to help.

"Until then indeed."

How to kill a couple of hours alone? Force crush rubbish in your ship and meditate on the Dark Side, of course.

[member="Ara Ren"]

Immediately after deactivating the comm, she reactivated it. This time to contact Talon Ren. The message was short and simple. She didn’t even bother activating the holo, just a voice comm would do.

”He has agreed to meet with us tonight. I am arranging a room at the military garrison just beyond the spaceport here at Avalonia. I hope the location is agreeable.”

She disconnected without preamble, knowing her master would contact her if there was an issue. She picked up a personal comm unit that she kept for just this reason. Gathering her cloak and draping it over one arm, she returned to her cabin. From the small wardrobe she pulled a simple set of robes and mask.

She was attending this meeting as a Disciple of Ren and would dress as such. Changing quickly into the black and red layers of fabric, she frowned. They were heavier, more cumbersome than the clothes she preferred. Glancing at the clothing she’d discarded on the small bunk with longing, she set the mask in a small bag along with identichip and small blade. Her belt and extra saber accompanied the two items. She wouldn’t walk around Avalonia outwardly armed, instead she tucked her personal blade into a concealed pocket of the robes. Her cloak finished the outfit off a she was ready.

She set off towards the garrison, knowing it would be hours before the meeting would occur. In the meantime, she’d use a sparring room to practice basic blocks and attacks, maybe even meditate.

671.jpg

You ought to keep me concealed just like I was a weapon
I didn't come for a fight but I will fight till the end
This might be your battle, might not turn out okay

The room she’d secured for their use was one the office of a commissioned officer hardly used now that the Capitol Complex was complete. She fidgeted in the weight of the robes. Unlike most of the Ren, she wore a simple half mask with vocalizer. It allowed her a full range of vision and some semblance of anonymity.

She hardly thought it necessary, considering the ex-Jedi had already seen her face. But it wasn’t her place to break with tradition. She left the hood of her cloak down, hair tied back in a simple braid. Her belt was wrapped around her waist, both blade hilts hanging from a hip.

Now to await the arrival of her master and the man they were to meet.

[member="Connor Harrison"] | [member="Kriel Firin"]

The crimson cloak was now on, and the sleeves down on his dark tunic. Connor had spent a the last few hours keeping himself to himself; reading, meditating, eating and tending to his eye (the damn thing played up even now from time to time).

A gentle walk through the waning light of Avalonia towards the garrison was nice and peaceful, with many lights of the city twinkling around, muted conversation from those he passed and the syntetic clicks and movement from Stormtroopers.

Speeders and low-flying freights broke the silence now and then. It was a wonderful city, and it felt so strong and so alive.

The garrison was secure but his name and that of Ara was enough to grant him access, so it was clear they were both there to meet him, and with a direction to follow, Connor took a slow moment to compose himself, headed to the office door and opened it. Unlocked. They were waiting for him.

Or rather…she.

Connor saw Ara in the gorgeous attire of her black and red robing, but looking more powerful than before. Maybe it was his Force alignment now more in touch with her aura or the fact he was embracing everything, but she looked strong and confident.

"Ara," he said gently as he entered, "forgive me if I’m early."

It was a beautifully decorated room, very stylish and sleek, and he walked slowly towards where she was stood.

[member="Ara Ren"] | [member="Kriel Firin"]

Kriel set off for Avalonia. He was aware of the festivities and had declined to attend. He had nothing against them but they were simply not something he considered appropriate any more – not least because travelling without his mask made him stand out in a crowd – which was hardly suitable when keeping a low profile was imperative.

When he arrived at the garrison, he was in his usual armour and mask. For him, it was a uniform much like the other Ren, but it also hid his many burn scars from prying eyes and for his face, it afforded him a degree of protection from the elements.

He strode though the compound, ignoring those around him. He was on a mission and had no time for courtesies or niceties. Finally, he reached the room and entered. Ahead of him was his Disciple and the man that had called himself Connor Harrison. Time would tell if he was the same one he’d been reading about. And at some point he would have to decide if what he had read was true.

Kriel bowed to his disciple and faced the former Jedi. “You had questions?” he asked. Pleasantries were for other times. Right now he needed to make a judgement call – and swiftly.

[member="Connor Harrison"] [member="Ara Ren"]

Ara turned to the door the first time it opened, revealing the ex-Jedi she'd spoken to earlier that day. Her eyes crinkled with mirth as, once again, he asked for forgiveness from her. She was starting to believe it almost reflex on his part. She inclined her head in polite greeting as her approached.

"That's three times, Mr. Harrison. You may find yourself holding the record for most apologies in a single week."

Her eyes crinkled in humor, her voice slightly distorted by the vocalizer in her mask.

She felt her master's presence even before he entered, clad in the robes and mask she'd only ever seen him in. She returned his bow and stepped back, taking up a relaxed, but alert stance, off to the side of the desk that dominated the room.

"Master."

He was not one for idle chatter and she obliged, offering the single word as greeting and difference to his authority.

She surveyed both men from her vantage point, all humor gone from her eyes the moment the Knight had entered. This was business and she was there to observe, unless Talon Ren instructed otherwise.

[member="Kriel Firin"] | [member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor nodded in acknowledgment, and had to look a little harder at her mask. It wasn't just cloth, it was an actual mask and her voice was even more powerful from it.

As if there was a calling, Connor turned, not yet talking, as the door opened and the fully masked Ren Master came into the room. It was hard not to be in awe of one looking like this - a dreadful presence on the battlefield. A mysterious figure, hidden from all but present for all to see. That was power.

And the mask...that was superb what it lent to the fear one would have looking at it and hearing the synthetic voice behind it.

"I won't waste your time, and forgive me not knowing what to address you as, but thank you for meeting me here."

He turned and stood before him to show confidence, willing and respect.

"My only question for you is I wish to stand and fight with the Ren, and if you will take me into the fold."

Connor looked right into that faceplate.

"Please ask any questions you have about me or my situation. I appreciate it's not as straight forward as others coming to you."

[member="Kriel Firin"] | [member="Ara Ren"]

Kriel nodded an acknowledgement to the Jedi’s greeting. He sensed an aura – and it was not light-sided. But it was not usual either. He was not experienced enough to decipher what his senses were telling him, but he knew something was off. Perhaps in time he would find out what.

And he appreciated the man’s direct response. Jedi and Sith alike had a tendency to want to share a life story before getting to the point. Kriel was one for plain speaking. And his voice and demeanour said he was not in any way fazed by Kriel. Not that he expected or even wanted him to be. But it was a measure of the man – and the more information he could glean, the better his analysis would be.

Kriel ignored the direct mention of the Ren. One of the benefits of a mask was an inability to give anything away through a facial movement. And given his skin beneath was effectively burned and moulded into the facsimile of a face, even without his mask, he was hard to read.

“The First Order does not fight.” His voice was monotone, very little inflexion managed to make its way through his voice decoder. “It preserves order.”

This was the subtle distinction that Jedi and Sith alike often failed to understand. Despite being exponents of the dark side, Knights of Ren were like Jedi in many ways. They followed a code and looked to uphold order at all costs – much as the Jedi sought peace. Unlike the Jedi, the end always justified the means.

But they were not cruel like the Sith. Every death had a meaning. To live. To break a will. To end a conflict. But always to preserve order.

“If you have come for a fight, I suggest you look elsewhere.”

Despite the finality of his words, Kriel remained perfectly still. He was not about to leave – especially with his Disciple still in the room, and he was keen to hear what the man called Connor would say next.

[member="Ara Ren"] [member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor looked into the black void of the mask, the figure behind it never moving more than half-an-inch now and then as he spoke. This was as big a learning curve about the Ren than it was anything else, but he was here to join them, not simply write a book about them.

"Forgive me, but I can’t imagine you sit around drinking tea and negotiating peace do you? You fight. Everyone fights. But you fight to preserve the order you enforce and the codes you believe in don’t you?"

He resisted the desire to pace around the room, or look to Ara.

"Fighting for something shows passion and a desire to uphold something. I believe the Ren does just that. But, by all means if you don’t, then maybe I have the wrong idea of just what you are and what you serve. I was under the impression you served the First Order."

The Ren in the mask gave nothing away, and so neither would Connor.

[member="Kriel Firin"] | [member="Ara Ren"]

“He who looks for a fight, well they invariably fight. He who looks for order, well they may fight but it is not a given. Sometimes standing back and allowing an enemy to burn itself out is the quickest way to order. But I know you did not come here for a philosophy debate, however interesting it may be.”

“And I grant you that passion and desire are important. But – and I suspect you’ll get tired of hearing this – it is passion and desire for Order, not war.”

“But when called upon I would fight. Without hesitation. I would kill mercilessly and spare a life with equal dispassion. It is never about what I want. What any of us want.” For the first time he had included Ara in the conversation. “It is always about what the Order wants. Or rather what it needs. Service and duty. It’s a discipline.”

“I have seen plenty of dark Jedi and Sith on the battlefield. And they march behind the First Order flag. Are they these so called ‘Ren?’ No. They are dark Jedi and Sith. The First Order welcomes them and allows them to follow their ideals – well sometimes. Other times it pushes them away. But that is not my call. I serve.”

“If the rumours of these mythical Ren are to be believed, they do not seek glory or any reward and will take orders without question. Is that something that describes you?”

[member="Connor Harrison"] [member="Ara Ren"]

Ara watched, silent, as the men spoke. The finality in Talon Ren's statement was not surprising, he had behaved similarly when they had first met. There was very little sway in her master's world, you either did as you were told and expected, or you did not. He wasted nothing, not words nor time. He was direct and to the point, a quality she appreciated in the person who was training her to be all that she could be.

She directed her gaze to the ex-Jedi, a shift in his aura causing her to smile behind the mask. She could tell, from their few encounters, that he itched to move. He had a habit of tapping fingers or pacing, not content to just be still as she was.

Her gaze shifted back to her Master as he spoke again, her brow smoothing as her smile faded again. She nodded once, sharply as he included her in the conversation. She had accepted that her actions were part of a greater good when she had chosen to join the Ren, could Connor do the same? Could he set aside his lust for a fight in exchange for a chance to bring Order to the galaxy in the Supreme Leader's name?

She stepped up beside her Master, staying slightly behind his shoulder. They were a unit, the Knights of Ren. They fought, defended, and brought order to the galaxy not of their own ambition, but of the will of their leader.

It was a hard pill to swallow, that they did as they were ordered, no more no less. She was content in her position with the Ren, for once, having found a place were she was valued, respected, and trusted. It was a first in her life and for now she was content to follow it.

[member="Connor Harrison"] | [member="Kriel Firin"]

Connor focused on the mask, and the man behind it, almost lured in by the synthetic voice, and the slight movement he made when talking.

Ara moved, and his eyes moved to look at her for a moment to see her stand beside her Master. Connor returned his gaze, nodding now and then.

The positive was that it all made sense.

"All my life I have wanted to be part of a cause. Not to be some vigilante operating under a name for my own gain. I don't want to sit on a throne and proclaim myself a Grandmaster or Lord or whatever. If that ever happened, it would be by the will of said Order, not me."

His lead lifted, fingers starting to make small circles on his thumbs by his side.

"I lived a lie as a Jedi. Served people who in the end cast me out when I was no good to them and too powerful to control. The First Order encompasses everything I value. Truth, justice and order. Those who defy it will fall, and believe me I have no objection in taking a life. I will stand beside my brothers and sisters," he looked at Ara, "and I will protect them and what they stand for with my life."

Now, back to the Master.

"My cause is unwavering and my loyalty is without question. I serve the Dark Side of the Force, and to that point I serve the First Order, and I will serve the Ren and help lead them to just that. Order."

[member="Ara Ren"] | [member="Kriel Firin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom