Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Muonic Doppler Array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overseer for Imperial Scientific Development

7ZvqTIB.png

wngqJHp.png

• Manufacturer: Rocksolid Arms
  • Affiliation: Eternal Empire
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: Muonic Doppler Array Mk 2
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:

HTrJQX7.png

• Emits repeated exotic particle bursts. These interact during their passage to cause the release of muons within the target area. The detection arrays then detect changes in their half lives, caused by micro-dilations in time due to moving objects, the faster the object is moving, the more easily it can pick up these dilations.
  • Bursts travel faster than the speed of light and are received by another array, which in turn can send its own bursts. The more arrays deployed, the faster and more accurately a hidden object can be detected.
  • Divine Eyes sensor and electronics systems
  • MEIPOC AI link and program code
  • Dedicated HAPU | Hybrid Antimatter Power Unit

se00WXc.png

• Novel detection method: The new method can potentially thwart many existing cloaking devices, including those that usually supress a ship's emissions and gravitational field.
  • Weakly interacting particles: The chose exotic particles interact with very little so can pass through most materials and energy shields with no effect on the particles or the obstruction and can only be detected by specifically dedicated scientific instruments
  • Omni-directional: The bursts move out in all directions from the emitter and can detect an object in any direction, removing the need to know where the ship probably is before searching.
  • Large coverage: A single emitter has a projected range of around 1200km, so a relatively large area of space can be covered by a small number of arrays. The need to overlap coverage from different arrays though does limit this, potentially leading to 'blind spots'

7xMeU8E.png

• Target speed dependent: Because the system relies on movement enduces micro-dilations in time, it cannot detect entirely stationary objects and becomes less reliable as the target's speed approaches zero.
  • Multiple arrays needed: A single array might tell you if something is there, but in order to get a fix on the target position, at least three arrays must be deployed together and the greater number of arrays deployed the better the fix. This limits the number of places this technology can be used due to the small number of extremely precious arrays.
  • Active system: This system has to operational and actively sending out bursts to he able to detect targets, this means it takes time to deploy and if the cloaked targets passes by before activation their will be no sign.
  • Beacon: Although the particles emitted are invisible to most observers and detection methods, if you have a scanner capable of detecting them, then the arrays will glow like a lighthouse beacon every time a burst is sent, allowing them to be tracked. The appropriate scanners tend to only be present on dedicated science vessels.
  • Experimental: This technology is based on principles that were until recently only theoretical so the technology is still considered experimental and should not be trusted as a perfect counter to cloaked vessels. The experiments so far though have been promising with an approximately 85% detection rate.

7pOT69F.png

Based on previously ground based experiments for detecting time dilation, the new technology works by sending highly exotic particles out into space, these interact sub-atomically as they travel releasing unstable muons with a half life of around 2.1 microseconds. Any space experiencing time dilation can be detected as moving mouns have a higher half life to stationary ones (ref), this soup of information is analysed and used to detect hidden moving ships. The number of muons release is very low, not enough to cause the creation of muonic gold a product caused by subjecting oil to high intensity muon particles.

Muons are also released in a flash when ships enter hyperspace, however, due to the short half lives of the particles, these flashes only cause a very brief detection anomaly on the scanner, and the AI has been trained to account for them by having ships entering hyperspace during laboratory testing.

The array is a fairly large piece of technology with the detector being the largest part, a spherical chamber just over 10 metres in diameter, and it consumes a vast amount of power so is built with a dedicated HAPU system to allow it to be independent of the systems of the chosen deployment vehicle.

A single emitter will tell you an object is there but not exactly where, a second gives more information and a third allows accurate triangulation of the target by feeding all of this information into a power analytical AI system.

The array does not break the cloak or effect the target in any way, it only allows detection. Constellations of these arrays could theoretically be used to render large areas in orbit impassable to cloaked vessels. Unfortunately the limit number means they have to be deployed strategically, targeting high value individuals, suspected escape corridors or important blockades.

Last edited:

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Hello Trinity Harris Trinity Harris

THis is an interesting piece of technology however it misrepresents how Tachyon's operate within the star wars universe.

Tachyon

Tachyons were particles that built up on a ship in hyperspace, and were released in a distinctive flash when it reverted to realspace.
Hypermatter was composed of tachyonic particles and when these charged particles were exposed to the constraints of the lower dimensions of realspace produced near-limitless energy.[SUP][[/SUP]

While they may have different functions in real life, Star Wars has defined them as produced when in hyperspace and dispersed when entering real space. THe array using them would blanket the area and make a ship coming easier to hide unfortunately. If you want this to detect them for finding cloaked ships then it would be fine but using them is more a counter.

Hi Krass Wyms Krass Wyms , thank you for looking at this for me. I am trying to think of a solution to this but wanted to discuss my thoughts as I am not sure exactly what to do and whether these particles can or can't be used.

There is another entry on wookiepedia for Tachyons which only lists them as particles that can push solar sails and makes no mention of any of the hypermarket stuff, which highlights the inconsistency of legends and wookiee canon.

I dont know if the fact that they build up the hull of ships would prevent the use in this way personally. Another example in starwars is the graviton entry on wookiee says they are used to heat the core of starkiller base and makes no mention of their use in natural gravity. Potentially to incorporate the canon entry you referenced I could add another weakness that ships arriving in hyperspace within the detection field can make it harder to use due to the burst they release, kind of like using a microwave oven too close to a phone or satellite dish.

I hope this is OK and look forward to hearing tour thoughts on the matter.
Thanks

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
You are correct Trinity Harris Trinity Harris sometimes the articles conflict or are vague on one end and more detailed on the other. (see zeltros caanon vs zeltros legends) but when it comes to the factory we go for what has the most information. Phrik in canon is nearly identical to the legends but makes no mention of it being lightweight. Tachyon can be used to move a solar sail but also build up aas a ship travels in hyperspace. Being dispersed when it enters real space. A detection system using them to track would as before be questionable. however a detector for them would be better able to detect ships as all ships get them when traveling regular and stealth. If I was to do this I would make it the tachyon detector that if it pings traces for the origin of dispersal. With two or three detectors it could be great for pinpointing stealth ships that usually wouldn't be cloaked in hyperspace entering or exiting.

Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I have changed my subatomic particle choice. The emitters now use unnamed "exotic particles" and the detectors are looking for muons released as a result of said particles instead of Tachyons. The only references in star wars to muons is that they are released as a flash when ships enter hyperspace and that (apparently) they can transform oil into muon gold, but I have referenced both of these in the description regards how they do or do not interact with the detector system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom