Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surviving on Seelos

Harli‘s story sounded plausible enough for him, not that he had much experience with such events. A human with fangs? How original. She sparked his curiosity, but had learned to enough manners to not start bugging her with questions in the middle of a desert.

Oda finished their story in a much more jovial manner than he would have expected. His own memories of the incident were less than cheerful. But he had learned a lot about people, not only slavers, drug dealers or thugs, but also the darker and lighter side of the force at least indirectly from example.

"It is a nice day outside“, the words were so unsuitable for the situation that they sparked his attention again, pricking his ears. Was Oda up to something or hiding his true thoughts and feelings? The smell of blood and small trickle running from the man‘s nose, sparked his compassion and worry. Was he more harmed than the Shistavanen had thought? After all, the man could hide his feelings far too well for him to be able to read him most of the time.

„Is that your camp?“, sounded Oda‘s voice. Was he just imagining this or did the man sound a bit unsteady? „It is“, the wolfman responded quietly. „You want some more water?“, he finally thought of offering his own water canteen, chiding himself in his mind for not thought of this earlier. The quarrel with Reena and Oda‘s revelation had just unsettled him too much.

Waving his hand to one of three grim looking look-outs who kept watch, he barked at the Twi‘lek: „Hunt was successful. Reena‘s taking care of it. We need to speak with the boss“, waving his hand to point at his companions, none of whom had been in this camp before. The guard finally nodded and let them pass.

Now, they would need the boss, a nagai. Clad in his electromesh armour, the tall and gaunt man witht he typical pale skin of one of his race was wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sun-glasses to protect himself against the light. „Look what the cat dragged in … or wolf in this case“, he sneered when spotting the group. Ronak through a hopeful look in Jashin‘s direction. If they ever needed a silver tongue, it was now.

[member="The Wayfarer"]
[member="Harli Hayes"]
[member="Jashin Vycarion"]

Jashin listened intently as everyone spoke, nodding all the while. The woman's words, though, made him raise his eyebrows and turn to regard her.

"No, I wasn't hunting Joopas. I was with a salvaging part, searching for a bulk freighter that went down somewhere on this planet..."

"A bulk freighter? Any leads? What size?" Fact was, Jashin was suddenly and roughly on his own. He didn't have any credits, he didn't have a ship, he was literally depending on the kindness of strangers. He hated it. This bulk-freighter sounded like an excellent opportunity...and Harli, now on her own, doubtless would need assistance if the woman hoped to find and loot the thing properly.

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Yes Coruscant was a rather tricky endeavor, laden with women, spice, and blaster bolts....slavers had lured us into a trap where they sought to capture us..."

"Damn slavers; they're as bad as Imperials." Said Jashin vehemently - perhaps a little more so than needed. The Epicanthix, like many cultures across the galaxy, had been under the thumb of the galactic powers at large for many years. Even now, false rulers - Imperials - sat upon the Panathan thrones...subjugating the people for their own ends. "They got what was coming to them."

„I am Shistavanen, Uvena Prime is my home. Forests, plains“

Jashin had only heard of the species in passing - one of the few canine species in the galaxy. He had no idea what Uvena Prime was like, but he would be sure to look it up early. "I'll remember that. I've never met a canid race before."

And then their party drew near to the camp - hunters all, by the looks of it, in the shadow of a nondescript starship. It looked pretty standard; Twi'leks, Duros, most of the common species. But an exceedingly pale and gaunt near-human with white skin and black hair called out to them, and Jashin stiffened in response.

„Look what the cat dragged in … or wolf in this case“

"Nagai!" Muttered Jashin under his breath. This was a species he was acquainted with; Boss Lassa Rana's bodyguard was one of the deadly aliens, and Jashin knew firsthand how good they were with not only blades, but their own voices. He didn't understand the science behind it, but their voices were to be avoided due to their potency. Jashin was clever, though, and his greed was deep...would that be enough to ward the influence off? The look Ronak threw his way wasn't lost on him either...the Nagai could probably run circles around the inarticulate pup. "Well! It's about karking time. I take it you're the one responsible for handing out payment? We might as well get down to the bronzium tacks; my party was hunting a Joopa, using live bait, myself and my unfortunate friend - as all good hunters know, live and sentient bait is the best bait, ever hear of the Lassat? - when your hunting party happened upon our quarry."

The words came as a vomitous deluge, Jashin speaking so quickly and matter of factly as to not allow the Nagai to speak. "Now I can of course forgive your party for taking the kill, and with our main party getting lost in the salt-storm we're actually thankful; thankful enough that we're going to waive that fifty-percent baiting fee, and just get down to individual portion shares. Now, obviously that's a full share for myself and my dead friend - who, though dead, did indeed fill his function as bait, and whose family is entitled to his share - so that's two full shares, times the hazard pay with is usually a share and a half to double...that's about three and a half to four portion shares right there." The words kept coming, Jashin walking in a large circle around the Nagai, before coming to a stop in front of the man.

"...Or..." Paused Jashin, taking his breath in nearly a minute. "We can both be realistic here. The Guild of Hunters, the Hunters Association of Rimward Trackers, and all our sovereign organizations - they make our rules, they keep us in work, they let us sell our meat and rare materials while keeping taxes low...they might set these rules, but we know how it works out here." The lies kept coming. "Now, if they found out I, a dues paying member was getting stiffed, they'd probably take exception to an independent hunting party such as yourself." He had to be independent, Jashin had made all the associations up. "But I know how it works. Us union types and you independents, we have to work together out here in the wilds. It isn't like any of those desk jockeys and city dwellers in the unions with their comforts know what it's like. They haven't hunted in years."

Jashin paused, tapped his nose, and winked at the Nagai. "So, just between you and me, I'll waive all those stupid fees that the unions and associations say that you have to pay me. The Hutts and the bigwigs don't need a slice of everything that us little guys get. And all you have to pay is one share for myself, cover some spare parts for our broken down ship, and you've got the whole Joopa corpse to yourself, but not only this..." Jashin paused for effect. "But also my party's tracking data for two other worms." He didn't have to know that Jashin would just randomly mark two places on a map.

"I'll take that payment, now, spice or precious metals please, and those spare parts...and some food and water for my associates."

[member="Ronak"]
[member="The Wayfarer"]
[member="Harli Hayes"]

Harli Hayes

H
Harli raised an eyebrow some at Jashin's sudden intrest in the downed freighter. "It was a Tempus Ardet-class. Went down to engine failure, or so it's believed. We had a general idea where it's at. The ships last transmission kinda hard to understand, and it's beacon went out shortly after going down."

Her attention turned from Jashin to the hunter camp they were approaching. Honestly, it didn't look much different than she imagined it would. From the ship to the species working as hunters, everything seemed to fit the bill. That was until her eyes landed on their leader. A Nagai, dress the part of being the intimidating person in the camp and probably the one with the quickest wit.

Harli stiffened some at the sight of the Nagai. They maybe in more trouble than she thought. Luckily, or unluckily depending on the view, Jashin stepped for and spoke. As he did, he wove the most intricate lie she had ever heard. The whole thing might as well have been rehearsed for how well Jashin spun his tale if it was even a tale at all. Harli didn't even know why he was on this planet, since he never told them. Either way, he had a knack for spinning such tales.

[member="Ronak"]

The Wayfarer watched tentatively while they made their way into the camp. While he overheard the young woman talk of salvage Oda felt he should reveal to them what his intents and purposes were. He sighed as he felt that upon hearing this the man and woman might simply try to rob him of his fortune. But, he needed a pilot and a mechanic and thus had no choice but to trust them. He needed to get off this rock as soon as possible. So, whilst the git was spinning his tale he addressed Harli and Ronak.

"Ronak you remember Coruscant? Well I never made it too Commenor," He paused as he lowered his straw hat finally revealing his face. It was hardened and worn by the weather, crows feet adorned the corner of his orbs, while his eyebrows were arched downwards in a frown that brokered no nonsense. Through chapped lips he spoke "I have one ton of raw spice aboard my freighter," He said while the hunter's attention were fixed on Jashin. "That's a small fortune for the each of us. If you help me i'm willing too give equal shares,"

He watched as Jashin continued to keep the Hunter's either entranced or dumbfounded with his tale. Oda could not tell..

[member="Harli Hayes"]
[member="Ronak"]

Jashin‘s speech was so bold and brilliant at the same time that Ronak just stared at him in utter amazement while presenting his first part. It took all the wolfman‘s effort in self-control to not openly gape at him. For him this was no less a mystery than Oda‘s healing of Jashin‘s leg. Only when the Ronin addressed him, did he tear his attention away from the tale spun to entrance the hunter‘s in the cap who had stopped their work and gathered around them. That their was did not even have a chance to speak while someone was outtalking him was definitely unprecedented.

Oda‘s explanation and offer however shook Ronak to the core. He had never made it to Commenor, meaning the terrible chemical stuff the wolfman disliked so much was still on the ship. Also, he had not been alone when last parting their ways. „What about Motta?“, he asked worriedly. „Did you hand him over to the law or did he die in the crash?“ If the spicer dealers‘ boss had survived the accident, Oda would have taken him with him. Since he was all alone, the Shistavanen concluded that the man must be dead, unless he was not in Oda‘s hands anymore, when crashing on the planet.

„I will help you out, whatever you need and I can help with. I am not much help with ship repairs and piloting though.“ His ears dropped somewhat sadly. „But to guide you through the desert backtracking your trail is something I can manage“, he added a bit more assured. Payment was not that important to him. He needed money mainly to get access to information about his family. Until now, he had travelled by hiring and working on the ship he was on. „Was the stuff not supposed to be delivered to Commenor?“, Ronak added as an afterthought, remebering their last conversation on Coruscant.

Meanwhile, Jashin was the shining star in the middle of the semicircle of hunters and hirelings. „Sounds like a good deal“, someone was muttering, before the Nagai hushed him. Then, the boss turned to his opponent in the arena of manipulating people with words alone. „Hunter‘s Union. You say? Never heard of them, but there are enough organisations out there that could be said about“, he pretended to be thinking about the thing just long enough to create a dramatic pause, but not long enough to allow anyone else to speak.

„Your offer is … tempting. But you have to realise, my friend“, the word was pronounced in a way making one doubt its original meaning, „Spare parts also cost some money, so does food and water – especially on a world without any.“ He smiled dastardly. „But I am sure we can find an agreement. Three and a half to four portions, let us say four portions – noone must say I am a greedy man – minus the cost of the spare parts minus the cost of the rations and water which is worth 10 times its price elsewhere would result in“, he gesticulated visualising strange calculations, „20 credits plus your supplies. Fair deal, isn‘t it?“, he sneered quite sure of his triumph.

[member="The Wayfarer"]
[member="Harli Hayes"]

„Sounds like a good deal“

He had the crowd's approval - that was half the battle right there. There were many vectors that he could use to put pressure on the Nagai, money, status, resources, ego, his sense of leadership to name only a few; but undermining him in front of his own people...that was perhaps one of the greatest tools at Jashin's disposal at the moment. There was only one other that would be even more effective.

„Hunter‘s Union. You say? Never heard of them, but there are enough organisations out there that could be said about; your offer is … tempting. But you have to realise, my friend...spare parts also cost some money, so does food and water – especially on a world without any. But I am sure we can find an agreement. Three and a half to four portions, let us say four portions – noone must say I am a greedy man – minus the cost of the spare parts minus the cost of the rations and water which is worth 10 times its price elsewhere would result in...20 credits plus your supplies. Fair deal, isn‘t it?“

Behind a perfectly crafted mask of civility, his smile reaching his eyes, Jashin mentally sagged in relief. In this line of work, the hardest part was the hook; getting someone to believe the lie. The Nagai had accepted it without hesitation, to four shares no less; four shares that Jashin had absolutely no right to claim. The Nagai quibbled over water and parts, likely needing the victory to save face in front of his men...but this was semantics. Semantics, because in this arid environment, a properly tuned condenser coil from a starship's life support system could be used as a makeshift vaporator - it wouldn't be great tasting, but it would collect enough water for a handful of people. It wasn't full proof, but they wouldn't die of dehydration. No, the riskier thing was food. But, most humanoids could go several weeks without food, and, if push came to shove, they could probably kill one of the smaller Joopas. The supplies, in other words, were just a feint. It was the ship parts that were all important.

Jashin crossed his arms, nodding his head, pretending to think. "I can see why you're the boss! A master negotiator, and a fine leader of the Hunt! I accept your offer, but will simplify it and sweeten it for you - if only out of gratitude! Give me that honor, will you?" He chose that word carefully - "Honor" - for Jashin knew well how important the concept was to the Nagai. "We shall make it three portion shares even, minus one share for supplies and parts." The offer was ridiculously good; starships held months or even years of consumable rations, both food and water - plentiful and cheap - while the parts would likely only run a couple hundred credits. A single portion share, though, was anywhere between five hundred and a thousand credits - depending on the rarity, ferocity, size, and quality of the kill in question. Given the sheer size of the kill, the Nagai would make a hefty profit after selling the share when he made it to market.

He could have pushed for more. Could have bartered it down even more - cut out the supplies, questioned the Nagai's honor, turned his men against him. But there was one thing you learned, whether gambling or manipulating, and whoever learned this simple fact was the one who lived the longest - whoever adhered to the maxim would be the wealthiest. You always, always, quit while you were ahead.

[member="Ronak"]
[member="The Wayfarer"]
[member="Harli Hayes"]

Tha Nagai grinned a toothy smile. „So you said, three minus one makes two shares of everything hunted until now.“ He was well aware of his men eyeing him intently, all waiting for the announcement what their shares until now where. „As we have not sold anything yet, you will of course understand – business man that you are – that I have to cut losses in case we will only sell for the lowest possible price. After all, we all share some risk and you will get paid right now with far less risk. So let us make it a hundred credits per share, thus 200 credits.“

Again he made a dramatic pause, before continuing. „But being the honourable gentleman I am, I will not only provide you with your spare parts and rations, but even a sand sled for transporting them. You can use the mutt as a sled dog, if you want.“ Bellowing laughs from the crowd at his rude joke were the well-intended reaction covering any possible dissent crew members might have on strangers getting paid their well-earned money.

„So what do you say, stranger? Do we have a deal?“, the Nagai stretched out his hand, baring his teeth in a wide grin which spoke quite clearly not to try his patience and make him lose his face in front of his men.

Meanwhile, Ronak had been focussed on Oda and Harli, listening to his proposal and her reaction. The loud laughter made him prick his ears. At a wave of the boss‘ hand, several of the camp workers started gathering supplies and a mechanic was now approaching the trio, asking bluntly what parts would have to be prepared for their damaged ship and packed on the sled.

[member="The Wayfarer"]
[member="Harli Hayes"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom