OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Experimenting with new Superweapon to be installed on a mobile platform in a later submission. Still trying to work out balance with these superweapons so please bear with me.
- Image Source: https://delicious-to-c.blogspot.com/2013/11/enders-game-2013.html, https://www.uviet.net/2020/02/vi-sao-thanos-khong-no-luc-ngan-can.html
- Canon Link: N/A
- Permissions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Kiribian Systems Armory (Design), Silver Jedi Concord
- Affiliation: Silver Jedi Concord
- Model: N/A
- Modularity: No
- Production: Unique
- Material: Specially Refined Ionite
- Classification: Super Weapon, Exotic Beam Cannon
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Very Heavy
- Ammunition Type: Beam
- Ammunition Capacity: Average
- Effective Range: Extreme
- Rate of Fire: Low
- Stopping Power: Organics - Extreme, Artificial/Droids/Electronics - Low
- Recoil: N/A (mounted)
- As a directed energy weapon, Galatine is very precise, Able to attenuate its energy output and blast radius down to the meter.
- Extreme range, velocity, and stopping power (against organics).
- Weapon of mass destruction, able to strike huge areas in single shots.
- Leaves infrastructure intact, resulting in fewer causalities and no fallout.
- Low rate of fire, requires at least 120 seconds between charges. Longer charge times depending on the scale of attack.
- Ineffective against electronics, droids, and cybernetic beings with no organic bits.
- A very large weapon, it must be mounted on a large platform like a Destroyer or Space Station as a fixed weapon.
"In Caliburn's Shadow, you will find no mercy."
While still recovering from a massive defeat at the hands of the Bryn'adul in Silver controlled Huttspace, the Concord federal government quickly funded new rounds of development towards weapon systems that could counter the their foe's potent biotechnology. Of particular concern were massive warbeasts that had proven to be neigh unbeatable in ground combat by conventional weapons, not without sustaining heavy causalities during the process of elimination.
The obvious choice was the development of their own chemical or bioweapons like genophages, but several critics voiced concerned about said weapons getting out of hand like Alpha Red with unforeseen fallout, and the possibility of being reverse engineered against them.
Looking for an alternative to minimize causalities from fallout, the Concord military quietly issued a contract for a solution.
KSA soon approached the Concord with a new type of anti-organic energy weapon they had been developing for use by the Kiribian Spacy in their own seperate campaign against the Bryn - the Galatine Hypercannon. The system works using large specialized refined prisms of ionite, and capital grade ion beam generators. Ion beams, modulated to emulate the bioelectric fields of living organic matter, are focused into the prism. The resulting charge produces pulses of alternative electromagnetic energy that exists as a direct inverse of bioelectric fields. When organisms hit with the alternative pulses - from complex multicellular life to the simplest bacteria - their bioelectric fields are destabilized, resulting in rapid cellular decay similar to the deatomizing effects of disruptor weapons. However, unlike disruptor weapons, Galatine can efficiently attack a wide area on a mass scale.
Like with defoliator weapons, infrastructure remains safely intact, unaffected by the specialized electromagnetic pulse targeting organisms. This makes Galatine more attractive to use in place of conventional explosives and proton warheads that level everything indiscriminately. Electronics, droids, and other cybernetic beings may experience some moderate disruption from the sheer energy being output by the platform, but even a light amount of EMP/Ion hardening will be sufficient for them to survive.
Another benefit to the use of Galatine is its inherent precision and controllable energy outputs as a directed energy weapon. The beam can be modulated to affect the area as small as a baseball diamond or as large as a country-wide area in a single shot.
While quite powerful, such a destructive weapon is used on a strategic level for key targets. For now, though, Galatine remains stuck in a shipyard awaiting its own delivery system.
Perhaps for the best.