Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Strength and Honor

Tag: Thaddock Fost

Planet Kestri, City of Tor Valum, Warden Quarter

Inside one of many barracks Minerva sat beside her bunk on the wall fully armored, saved for her helmet beside her. With one hand she held a whetstone and her personal Kal dagger in the other, sharpening the latter with the former. The young woman carefully executed and repeated the process over and over again. Her focus was entirely on the task at hand despite the sounds of her bethern all around.

Only after fifteen minutes did she stop at last. Holding up the Kal for closer inspection Minerva quickly noted the reflection of her face from the blade. A half smirk came upon the human's face before muttering. "Excellent."

Subsequently the warrior put down the whetstone before rubbing the side of the dagger with her free hand. Smooth as father would say. At the thought, memories of Jorel Merrik swirled within Minerva's mind. She closed both eyes and said in a whisper.

I wish you were here Buir. No doubt you would find a flaw in my handiwork with this blade but then show me how to do it better.

Suppressing a sigh Minerva opened her eyes again before bringing her dagger down. Then she looked up toward the rest of the quarters. Several fellow warriors in or out of armor were either cleaning their weapons, resting in their bunks or chatting with their friends. Meters away to the left there were five of them playing cards at a table with a few chairs.

For a moment she was tempted to go join in but stopped herself. Shaking her head, Minerva silently realized. No, I want more than just some game.

Sheathing her dagger then putting on her helmet Minerva got up from the bunk. With that she strolled to the opposite side of the card, nodding in acknowledgment to a Transdosen in armor passing by. For the next few minutes Minerva marched down a hallway decorated with Mandalorian symbols and those of various clans.

Sparing a glance here from one side to the other Minerva thought. One day I will prove myself worthy of a clan. Either I join one or forge a new family that will bear my name.

Turning to a corridor she stepped inside to a training facility complete with dozens of fight rings, gym equipment and a large obstacle course at the far end of the right side. Already there were Mandalorians exercising or sparring with one another.

Then Minerva glanced around hoping to find someone she can train with.

Last edited:

Thaddock Fost

T
Objective: Training
Tags: Minerva Fhirdiad Minerva Fhirdiad

bNdwhH_LR7i93HZnd4Vmvsv8iSjxWCp3L-klbk9h98I4JRTGPsXbK8cyCNlSGxohSaJgLsblrHd8GXIaH6Tl-2TXTkLEwN6W2u9V6segcw9vWpD7e31hmYxmTQG42oiihzUnWx7b

Thaddock’s morning had been busy. He ran eight kilometers as soon he woke. After that was complete he ran through the provided obstacle course. Today was a leg day so he took to the gym equipment to run through his normal routine: squats, deadlifts, lunges, leg press, leg curls. Once that routine was done he did some shadow boxing as a cool down.

After his first workout of the day Thaddock stayed in the training room. He found a corner and studied some film of his next opponent. The fight was not for nearly a galactic year, but he prepared as if it were tomorrow. His shock-boxing trainer left the first couple months after signing a bout for Thaddock to do his own training. He would arrive on Kresti, or demand Thaddock travel somewhere for formal training in a couple months.

Once he was satisfied that his shock-boxing work had been done he settled in to prepare for his real training. He didn’t love shock-boxing. He was just very good at it. And it had been an outlet for him when his adoptive father was disappointed by Thaddock’s initial failings in training. Thaddock couldn’t bring himself to test his limits with a blaster, so he became obsessed with close quarters combat. That has led to him being a phenom on the shock-boxing scene. Something to be proud of, and it provided credits for the Enclave and his small clan, but Thaddock wasn’t sure it made him a real Mando'ade.

His midday meal sat next to him on the bench now. Thaddock’s armor was on ready for training, but at the moment he was repeating the rhyme his mother had taught him as a child as he polished the basic buy'ce that was all his father could afford.

Ba'jur bal beskar'gam,
Ara'nov, aliit,
Mando'a bal Mand'alor—
An vencuyan mhi

His shock-boxing winnings could buy him something better, but Thaddock did not feel worthy. He stopped the polishing and held the helmet up to make sure he had not missed a spot. As he looked past the helmet he spotted a warrior he had not seen before, not a strange occurrence, Thaddock kept his distance from most warriors. This one was looking around for something. Thaddock took in a deep breath and place the helmet on his head.

“Su cuy'gar,” Thaddock greeted the newcomer. “Are you looking to train?”

At the greeting Minerva turned to the source. Before her was a man of dark skin and long braids sitting at a bench while holding his helm. Immediately she can tell from his eyes that he was an experienced fighter. Mandalorians by culture tend to be after all but his mannerism suggested that he had something of a unique style. One that Minerva wasn't sure yet.

Regardless of her silent questions Minerva quickly nodded in answer.

"Indeed I'm looking to get a good workout in. My name is Minerva Fhirdiad and what is your name vod?"

Once she finished speaking the young warrior then removed her helmet to see her unknown comrade with her own eyes. Thaddock would see his fellow Mandalorian had dark cropped hair, brown intense eyes with light tannish skin. A somewhat faded scar ran from the middle part of her nose to the upper right cheek of her face.

Thaddock Fost

T
Current Armor

bNdwhH_LR7i93HZnd4Vmvsv8iSjxWCp3L-klbk9h98I4JRTGPsXbK8cyCNlSGxohSaJgLsblrHd8GXIaH6Tl-2TXTkLEwN6W2u9V6segcw9vWpD7e31hmYxmTQG42oiihzUnWx7b

Thaddock took in the woman, he was the farthest thing from an expert in beskar'gam but he was fairly certain hers was at the very least more advanced than his. The beskar that made up his armor was good, but it lacked in technology and the hidden gadgets most Mando’ade employed. “You’re not a warrior or a hunter yet,” his father said when Thaddock questioned why his armor was so basic. “You’ll need to earn quality stuff.”

Thaddock’s father was a miner by trade since joining up with the Enclave. In his day however Ollac Fost was the warrior he wanted Thaddock to become. So when his father told him to earn his armor, Thaddock took that to heart. On the other hand all the persistence and training didn’t help Thaddock in the one area that seemed to hold him back.

Thaddock blinked a couple times and shook his head to return back to the here and now, forget about his father’s words and his own known shortfalls. The woman, Minerva Fhirdiad she introduced herself as, had removed her helmet. She was young as Thaddock had guessed. Perhaps a little more mature than him, but seeing as he didn’t age the same as the humans he resembled Thaddock always had trouble gauging such things.

Past being on the younger side, Minerva seemed to be pretty normal. Thaddock was too busy with training, both shock-boxing and Mando’ade, to notice much about a girl’s physical attributes. “I am Thaddock, clan Fost,” he said with a nod of his head. The clan name would mean little to anyone here in the Enclave it consisted of three: Thaddock and his adoptive parents. Both of whom were beyond regular warrior duties due to age.

“I can promise a good workout,” Thaddock added with a confident smirk. “As long as you don’t try to drag me onto the blaster range. Hand-to-hand, Beskad, Kal, or even just a race through the obstacle course I’m your man.”

Holding her helm to the hip with one hand Minerva let out a short chuckle. This Thaddock certainly didn't lack confidence. She wanted real competition after all. What could be better than a fellow warrior. Her adopted father always stressed a certain point.

’It is always good to keep one's skills sharp in any way possible. No true Mandalorian is ever lazy when he or she can do something useful with their time.’

She absolutely agreed with that sentiment and now Thaddock was providing that opportunity. Of course Minerva briefly raised an eyebrow when her new sparring partner mentioned not to make it a blaster contest. Ignoring the silent question she instead focused on the options that the other Mandalorian was offering.

"Hmm…" Minerva grabbed her chin with her free hand in thought. Seconds later she let go then declared with a competitive grin.

"Very well Thaddock I'll let you choose which contest we can do. Just don‘t expect me to go easy on ya heh.”

Thaddock Fost

T
Current Armor

Thaddock was used to the pause that came after he told a fellow Mando’ade of his limitations when it came to blasters. Minerva wasn’t the first and wouldn’t be the last. In this galaxy the blaster was a key component of most warfare. Even some Jedi used them nowadays. But many stuck to the traditions of using only a lightsaber. Thaddock was skilled with Beskad and Kal. He had beskar to keep him safe. It was unorthodox, but he could still be a fine Mando’ade.

Thaddock could see when the thoughts in Minerva switched from his blaster situation to the other possible challenges that could be tackled. The young man tilted his head to the side trying to figure out what would be her pick. She was a good deal smaller than him, but he knew better than to think she would be afraid to spar hand-to-hand, or even that it would be to his advantage if she was properly trained.

Minerva’s hand came away from her chin and a smile played upon her lips. Thaddock knew that smile. He imagined his mouth was arranged in a similar manner. She gave him the choice. “Let’s try out the obstacle course then,” he said with a nod towards that part of the training area. “In full armor of course. I ran it earlier without. Armor and a capable opponent will be a much greater challenge.”

"So be it." Answered Minerva, keeping her confident smirk. Now it was time to see if he matched his words. From her point of view the truth could be discovered more from action than words alone. Walking alongside him Minerva cracked her knuckles in anticipation.

Once they reached the course she placed the jetpack down for the occasion. Putting her helmet on the young woman turned to Thaddock. "I bet twenty five credits I beat your shebs." Sometimes for situations like this Minerva likes to make a bet but not always.

Admittedly she was still a bit confused about his reluctance to do any shooting contest. Shrugging her shoulders to herself she thought.

Doesn't matter now. We're going to race not shoot after all.

Stretching each arm and leg Minerva quickly got into a running position to left of Thaddock.

Thaddock Fost

T
Current Armor

BtkEYamX471Wi-Q7ZkXJ3Tlse_D6rmdqArUfsbDe6CgnZcLiqNgXNUP9Dh24NaXcViBSdPxriAh5N7OBHHn1rRYKN-M6Z6Da6SOCIZZyrW6Gn-Xn_6SKIB7lbhCQHa5OJRuZu4dUSajOO6TbLQ

Thaddock had to admit he was impressed by the confidence the Minerva gave off. And it made him second guess his own confidence for a moment. It had been nearly a month since he had run the course in full armor. He tackled the course daily in his training clothes, but this was going to be something different.

The young shock-boxer was grateful when Minerva put aside her jet pack. Since he did not own one he forgot how much of an advantage it could have been. Then Minerva doubled down on her confidence with a bet. Twenty-five credits wasn't going to break anyone's bank Thaddock didn't think, but applying a cost to losing just added a bit of intrigue.

"Twenty-five credits," he agreed with a nod before putting on his own helmet. He took his place alongside Minerva at the starting line. Like her he did a little stretching. Bend at the waste and twist side to side before straightening back up and shifting his head side to side. The crack of his neck was audible, but the popping only loosened him up.

Fully stretched he put himself into a starting position and looked over to Minerva. "I picked the competition. You say when."

Glancing over to Thaddock once more Minerva thought. I wonder if he was a founding like me or was born into the fold. Whatever the case she fully intended to challenge her new sparring partner. It wasn't in her nature to hold back during contests.

Once he spoke again Minerva nodded quickly. Inside the helm she smirked before looking away. "Now!"

As soon as she said it the warrioress sprang forth. Meters later she leaped above from the first metal pole in front of her. Then she ran again to the next repeating the process for the next two minutes before coming toward the wooden wall that she and Thaddock we're gonna need to climb. Without hesitation Minerva grabbed on the part of the wall for the leverage and started climbing as fast possible.

Thaddock Fost

T
Current Armor

QrXunp5sPYVHdCAlduMV7dh7cJGE734fDuSaAwfwjiSTACcO6yESPUDtJIuHTzNZU0hTpa6qvy0ZQgC4n86CYGKyPcBeKaKBcyHvEqYFGnKlpAX41GBINGsfx3q2msSslHJJ_ju4mvmt8YBh0w

When Minerva gave the word Thaddock was off. Since Minerva started the race she got a slight advantage off the line. The less than a half stride advantage was not something that he would be able to complain about after the race, so he quickly put it out of his mind. It was not as if the advantage was not built in when he gave her the opportunity.

During the few meters of straight ahead running Thaddock made up the half stride lead, but that was it. Longer limbs he guessed, but Minerva was going to be quite the competitor he knew that much for sure.

That thought was compounded by the fact that Thaddock fell behind in the first obstacle. Usually the hurdles were no issue for the athletic young man, but it had been too long since he’d jumped with the added weight of his armor. He cursed himself for allowing something like that to happen and imagined his adoptive father’s disapproving look as Thaddock was looking at Minerva’s back, eight or ten strides behind as the young woman reached the wall.

As Thaddock leapt onto the wall as high as a single bound would take him, he hoped that the lack of training in armor would not hurt him in this obstacle as well. He smiled behind his helmet as the wall climb came as second nature. There was added strain on his muscles, but the adrenaline of being behind at the start of the wall drove him through the strain. “Nice. Work. On. The. Hurdles,” he called out to Minerva. A single word for each time his hand took a new hold on the wall. “I think. I’m catching up though,” he finished as his hand reached out for the very top of the wall. He didn’t take time to look to the side, but he hoped his statement was correct.

Thaddock kicked his legs over the wall and dropped to the ground looking out to the next obstacle. It was his least favorite, the belly crawl. He hated passing under the wires in the mud when out of his armor. Now when he was done he was going to have clean his armor again. Gritting his teeth he put his head down and rushed on.

Tags: Thaddock Fost

Due to the additional weight of her armor and the effort racing the hurdles Minerva was already feeling the strain. Gritting her teeth the proud warrior kept on grabbing each leverage on the wall as she and Thaddock race to the top. Her heart was pounding so fast that Minerva could barely think straight and was already breathing heavily.

Nonetheless she managed to hear her competitor's praise. As much as she appreciated the compliment Minerva knew it was too early to celebrate just yet. Thaddock' s next words made that clear as they finally came up to the top of the wooden wall. Once seeing the belly crawl course she jumped down as well. Wincing slightly Minerva dropped to the ground and started crawling as fast as possible.

Within moments her armor was coated in mud as she pressed on through with the barbed wire above her. No pain no gain. It was a lesson that Jorel repeated throughout their father and daughter. To be a true warrior one must endure burdens that come with that path both to the body, mind and the soul.

Further mud splashed onto Minerva's helmet, covering most of the t-visor yet she crawled on. What was minutes felt like hours but she finally reached the end of the course. Rolling out of it Minerca sat up to see if she or Thaddock had won.

Thaddock Fost

T
Current Armor

chADuu5RxRIvy_wp8jiqKl3mFuoTVV9YaVjEvAAtDb3TWe-x3Iyzsmo-i_g8I6WpABWK_hT2u2bqMkhW4-ldF6KERwH2o0dExqGJEFTxOUmp2_0fayUEFAqd_i2qXUjWQmRFNeHMCptBvkD85Q

The last leg. Thaddock assumed he was at least pulled even after the wall, but he wouldn’t look over to make sure. That was the way to lose. You must race yourself, not your opponent if you plan to succeed. He wasn’t sure how the fancy technologically advanced armor handled the mud, but he regretted insisting that they took the course in full armor as soon as his front splashed in. His visor was covered and he could see nothing, but he knew he only needed to head straight.

Even without amplified hearing of a proper HUD, Thaddock could hear that Minerva was not enjoying this obstacle either. Elbows moved forward one at a time pulling his lower body through the slippery sludge as he struggled. When he finally reached the end of the obstacle he was quick to his feet. He did however need to wipe his visor before he was able to finish the last run that ended the course.

When his legs started moving again he saw Minerva’s back and he cursed under his breath. The distance was too much for him to make up. She was going to win. He would make it as close as possible. A Mandalorian does not give up a fight, even a friendly race.

Thaddock removed his helmet and was breathing hard. “Well run race Minerva,” Thaddock managed between breaths. “Fair win. You’re quite quick my new friend. I’ll hand over the credits, but I think double or nothing in a hand to hand spar would be a nice challenge.”

Tags: Thaddock Fost

Looking back at her comrade and competitor Minerva managed to grin as she tried to catch her breath. Hard earned victory was among her favorite things in this existence. Once Thaddock removed his helmet and gave his congratulations the other Mandalorian feeling sore managed to nod in reponse.

I wanted a challenge and I got one. Funny how the galaxy works.

Before she could think on it further Minerva subsequently heard what Thaddock offered next. Titling her helm as she gave it some thought. Despite the exhaustion she was pleased to hear his own challenge. Grunting and biting her lips briefly Minerva forced herself up.

Heart still beating like a drum, she then answered.

"I accept. My only question is should we fight with or without our armor? I'm good with either option."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom