Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Oh, I agree. My favorite drug is—uh, I mean, I don't have a favorite drug, because drugs aren't cool. Don't do drugs."

(It was marcan herb.)

"Not really. Makko is Cora's boy toy, right? Uh— Other than that rich chump."

"I dunno if Cora and Makko are really together anymore, what with her marrying that prince." Just thinking about all that made him sad and angry. Starlin didn't want to feel sad and angry, so he jumped at the chance to change the subject. "Not much since the war ended. I fought the Bryn'adul when I was your age. Then the Sith, then the Maw... I don't know if I'd call any of those battles 'cool'. There was a lot of, you know, people dying or getting tortured and maimed. I lost a hand and an eye, myself. It was pretty fething brutal, man."

He paused for a few seconds, then smiled faintly. "There was one time where the Sith invaded Ossus. I was a padawan then, and my master and I went to the Ossus Jedi Temple to defend it. It started snowing. I'm prowling around the Temple grounds, looking for Sith, when I see this guy dressed in all black. He's about the same age as me, red-haired, holding a lightsaber in his hand, but the blade isn't activated and he seems to just be wandering around, not really doing much.

"So I went over and confronted him. He talked to me a little, but then ran off. I tried to stun him, but he resisted. I didn't want to just kill this guy who hadn't attacked me yet, but I didn't want to risk him hurting anybody else either. So I, uh... I used the Force to tickle him.
" Starlin started to crack up at the memory. "He didn't expect that. He fell over on the ground, rolling around in the snow laughing and begging me to stop. So I stopped and... I started yelling at him about there being little kids hiding in the temple, and how the Sith were going to kill them when they found them. I was mad about it, mad at him for still being on their side when he seemed like he didn't even want to fight. For allowing this chit to happen, and just going along with it. So he offered to help me save the kids, and then we would have a proper duel to the death."

Starlin paused in his story to take another bite out of his cone. "Anyway, we led these kids across the battlefield to a ship waiting nearby. The ship takes off, the younglings are safe, me and the ginger turn to each other... and then we look up in the sky to see a star destroyer about to fall on top of us. Welp. We both get on the nearest ship and high tail it outta there..." Another bite. "Long story short, me and him became good friends. But eventually he went back to Korriban and the Sith, and I haven't really heard from him since."

Was that a cool battle story? He thought so. Hopefully Tenn agreed, otherwise he had just sat there listening to a boring story.

Tenn Kalos

T
This Starlin guy was an odd one. Chastising Tenn for street racing, not reacting at all to his thieving, then nearly declaring a favorite narcotic right in front of him. The padawan stared at him quizzically. Not like his archetypical vision of a Jedi. Then again neither was Tenn himself.

Starlin also was quick to establish that battles were decidedly not cool, and then immediately went on to describe a cool battle story. Or, a battle story, anyway. Cool maybe wasn't the word for it. Interesting? Sure. Tenn shrugged, and spoke flippantly, "That sucks. Sounds like he didn't value your friendship," He took a big lick of ice cream, leaving a slight stain on his upper lip.

"That sucks. Sounds like he didn't value your friendship."

It’s complicated,” Starlin muttered. “I think he wanted to stay, but he felt like he couldn’t. For whatever reason, I don’t know…” He sighed. “Have you been in any battles? Used to be they’d throw padawans into the meat grinder as soon as possible, master or not. Now they’re at least trying to be more responsible…

He trailed off. They were treading water. The conversation wasn't moving forward or backward or anywhere at all, really. Starlin was no closer to understanding Tenn enough to help him, and Tenn was falling into the role of listener rather than speaker. That couldn't continue. No more stories.

Starlin suddenly leaned forward, looking the dessert-stained kid straight in the eyes. “Tenn, do you want to be a Jedi Knight?” he asked. “I mean really, really want it. Genuinely. Or is all this just something that was foisted upon you, and you feel like you have no other choice?

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn gave Starlin a skeptical look, "Doesn't really justify turning back to the Sith," Not that Tenn had ever encountered a Sith in his life. But it didn't take a genius to know they were the bad guys, "…They did?" He shook his head, "No, I barely get off-world."

Then, Starlin lurched forward, and turned much more direct. Tenn leaned back reflexively, taking his ice cream with him, "I…" He twisted his lips. Did he want to be a Jedi Knight? When he first arrived he would've said it was just for the bed and breakfast, but maybe there was some part of him now that saw potential in his future as a Jedi. He didn't seem sure himself, "I joined the Order cause anything was better than living on the streets, and it was my best option. Now, I don't really know. I kept to myself for a while and then as soon as I finally started to put myself out there, it started to feel like I was being pushed aside. I don't understand what I'm doing here anymore. I'm just some brat the adults have to take care of." He huffed, realizing he'd turned it into a much longer spiel than he intended.

"Why do you care?"

Tenn seemed taken aback by the question, but provided an answer soon enough. While his time with the Jedi had started out as a matter of convenient survival, as soon as he started to actually care about what he was doing he had been pushed aside and forgotten. Or at least, that was how he felt.

"Why do you care?"

Because I don’t think you’re just some brat,” Starlin replied with a little half-smile. “You clearly have skills. Those could be put to much better use than stealing stuff and racing speeders. But you need to be put back on the path to knighthood, and for that you'll need guidance. Which I am willing and able to provide.” He took a final crunchy bite of his ice cream cone, chewing and swallowing all while maintaining eye contact with Tenn. “So, what do you think? Can you see me as your master?

Tenn Kalos

T
This guy wanted to be his… master? Tenn blinked. No Jedi had ever bothered to offer that to him before. He froze for a few seconds of confused contemplation. Starlin seemed serious.

"…Okay. Sure," Tenn finally answered, his reaction subdued, "It can't be any worse than what I'm currently doing," He took a bit of his cone, and accidentally smeared the stain of ice cream onto his hand.

Ha ha, yeah!” Starlin exclaimed excitedly. “Welcome to the club, man!” He held out his hand for a shake. Or a high five. Or maybe a fist bump? How about all three? Whatever Tenn was willing to give him.

His fourth padawan. Holy chit. Was he insane? Well, you had to be at least a little bit crazy in this business. What mattered was that Tenn’s potential didn’t go to waste.

Uh, I assume you still want to live in the Temple?” he asked. “Otherwise, I have room on my ship.” He’d wind up staying aboard the Bright Knight anyway, whenever they had to leave Coruscant to go do Jedi stuff. “Training starts immediately. I’m taking you all to Kashyyyk tomorrow so you can learn how to control the weather and talk to animals and chit.

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn looked at Starlin quizzically, and gave him a slow, tentative high five. He even scoffed a chuckle at the display. This guy felt pretty off-brand for a Jedi, but maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Maybe it was what Tenn needed. No reason not to give it a shot, "Cool. Uh, how are you planning on training four padawans at once?"

Starlin offered up his ship as a place to stay, "I'll stick to the Temple. Shep is already used to it and there's technically more space for him to run around," Oh, right, "Uh, Shep is my dog. I'll probably be bringing him along a lot," He said matter of factly, not leaving the hound's inclusion up for debate. "Kashyyyk? Why there?" A genuine question. Tenn knew literally nothing about the planet.

"Cool. Uh, how are you planning on training four padawans at once?"

"I have no idea!" Starlin replied, exuberant. "But I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually!"

"Uh, Shep is my dog. I'll probably be bringing him along a lot,"

"Cool beans. Eli has a puppy too. Name's Mirar." In other words, he would not mind Shep's presence.

"Kashyyyk? Why there?"

"Uh, 'cause it's where my master took me for training. One of the places, anyway." Starlin was a simple man. If something worked, he'd keep on using it. "Right, awesome. Let's go! Adventure awaits!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom