Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streamlining The Process (Aurelia)

[member="Aurelia Saelari"]. First Supreme Chancellor, Protectorate Chief Minister, then Senator again. Few had loved her, but she had commanded respect while in power in what for a moment had seemed like the power that would lift the Galaxy out of chaos. Of course, certain detractors would wax lyrically about how the Republic had lost the moral high ground and engaged in cruel imperialism, disregarding the fact that everyone else did that as well.

In a way the early carees of Maelion Liates and Moira Skaldi had been tied with hers. Both had been agents charged with eliminating those that posed a threat to the Republic's manifest destiny. Maelion had fought darkside cultists and renegades on Onderoon, Moira had done wet work for the Republic at Cato Neimoidia before going on to become the Butcher of Contruum. Now, many years later, things had changed a great deal. Coruscant, the eternal city, was now under the dominion of the Sith, as was a good deal of the core. The Republic had failed to repulse the armies of the Dark Lord. The Omega Protectorate, seemingly on the rise again, was making a desperate bid to recapture Corusca with Mandalorian aid, the outcome of the struggle still being in doubt.

Once again Moira Skaldi found standing in front of the office of Aurelia. No one outside of the inner circle of Archangel knew that a very significant change had overcome the Senator. That she was now an asset of the Age of Steel. Not even the senator was privy to this knowledge, for she did not need to know...yet.

Moira - or rather 'Nalia Alderana' - had not come alone. Rather she was accompanied by a very attractive redhead, all elegant poise and posture, with not a hair out of place on her perfect features. Ms. Callisto Scarlett had been a tool groomed by Moira when she was still human on the killing fields of Contruum. Now she had been purged of all organic weaknesses via the entechment process Archangel had refined. She would have a role to play in this game as well, though Moira would take the lead for now.

'Nalia Alderana' had been summoned for business discussions with the senator. Months ago Archangel had pledged to support the Republic. Clearly it was time to play their part in the battle for democracy...

[member="Callisto Scarlett"]
Her hand.
Her hand.
She stared at it, moving the digits slightly, turning it over and looking at it. She couldn't explain what was bothering her, but there was something....

Her intercom buzzed. Snapping back to the present, Aurelia pressed the switch. "Yes?"
"Your appointment is here, ma'am. Nalia Alderana?"
"Ah, show her in," Aurelia said.

She did not rise as the woman entered with her redheaded assistant. "Take a seat, Ms Alderana. I received the message that you wished to meet with me concerning supporting the Republic. I remember such proclamations after Druckenwell and Coruscant. Have you come to make good on them?" she asked sternly.

[member="Aurelia Saelari"]

If only Saelari knew the truth... Regardless there were roles to play and 'Nalia Alderana' was unfazed by the woman's sternness. "Thank you for receiving me, Chancellor," she spoke politely. Now obviously Aurelia was not 'Chancellor' anymore, but conservative High Galactic custom dictated that one refer to a former officeholder by their emeritus title. Besides, the woman was terribly vain. Well, Moira was that as well, ironically. So much for totally logical and rational droids!

"We showed our willingness to aid the Republic in this time of crisis, but unfortunately it chose to rely almost solely on its Jedi Knights. Not that I am here to question the Republic's defence policy or the dedication of those Jedi who remain true to it, but I think we can agree results have been less than satisfactory. You have obviously heard the news, Protectorate and Mandalorian forces are on Coruscant, though whether they succeed is debatable. Rumour has it that a Mandalorian Field Marshal declared himself as the 'Dark Lord'."

As the old saying went, there were no eternal allies, only eternal interests. The Mandalorians had wanted to invade the Republic before the One Sith short-circuited their invasion. Subsequently they had succumbed to stagnation and in any case were unreliable allies since a total change in policy could be effected by simpling beating the Mandalore in a duel. As for the Protectorate, it was run by Cater.

"Archangel made a pledge to support the Republic in this time of need, receiving government funding and tax breaks in return. We stand ready to honour this pledge and in the interim have churned out several designs the Republic army will surely be interested in, ranging from sophisticated HRDs to modernised droidekas, droid tanks, artillery and even moved into shipbuilding. Likewise there's rare Sith tech we can offer."

[member="Moira Skaldi"]

Aurelia listened to the news update stonily. Finally she said, "Thank you for the news update. I would never have known any of this otherwise," she said archly.

"The Republic war effort needs all the help it can get. But why come to me? I am neither Chancellor any more, nor am I the minister of defence? Your assistance will be useful, but I suggest to talk to the relevant authorities. I can put in a good word for you if needed, but little more. Was there anything else?"

It was not looking good for the Republic, though Moira would prefer a bloody, protracted war with no clear victor. "I do intend to speak with the Republic government, but there are areas where Archangel could be of use to you. For one our designs could assist in augmenting the defences of Pylos, likewise security for Saelari Mining. Secondly, I would like to extend an offer to you personally and provide you with a new assistant and bodyguard," she cocked her head slightly towards Callisto Scarlett, who had been seated with perfect pose but said nothing.

"Ms. Callisto Scarlett is one of your newest and most sophisticated designs. I heard your office is looking for qualified staff. Someone who combines competence with unquestionable loyalty," as Moira spoke these words something entirely different transpired. A purely electronic, wireless transmission was sent to Aurelia, for the Senator that sat before Moira was not a being of flesh and blood but a replicant like she was. One who was under Archangel's control.

"Command - 1944 - Seraphim - Radiance." Who knew that 'logical and dispassionate' droids liked overdramatic command phrases! No one would be able to overhear the code phrase. To all outward appearances it would look like she was not speaking at all but just looking at Aurelia, waiting for her response.

[member="Moira Skaldi"]
Aurelia raised her head slightly. “How, pray, does this help the Republic? If I required such services, I would have asked for them myself!” she stated.
“Furthermore, I-“

"Command - 1944 - Seraphim - Radiance."

Aurelia twitched slightly. Perhaps…she was being unreasonable. These were dangerous times after all, and a bodyguard and assistant would be useful. What’s more, Pylos was somewhat isolated and could be prey to all manner of enemies.

“Yes…I think that would be wise, Ms Alderana. Is there anything else?” she asked, returning to normal.

"No, Your Excellency. Thank you for doing business with us. I know you are very busy so I will not keep you from your duties any further. My people will be in touch with your office to make the necessary arrangements for the contract, and work over the financial details," Moira said politely, passing over a datapad that had the details, including the account the money would be sent to.

The command phrase would have assured a sufficient degree of...agreeability. Pylos, while not a backwater planet and blessed with plenty of rich minerals, was somewhat isolated. With the Sith knocking on the Republic's door its military was overstretched and reeling from the defeat on Alderaan. Moreover, now that a Mandalorian warlord had revealed himself as the Dark Lord, they could no longer count on the Mandalorians not joining in on the attack. After all, it would not be the first time they ended up on the Sith side in history.

So it was best for Pylos and Saelari Mining to get the best defences. Archangel could offer HRDs and battle droids, likewise a powerful turbolaser cannon and droid starfighters. Details would be worked over, but suffice to say the planet and Ms. Saelari's firm would get the best of protection. As their credo said, Archangel was all about serving its clients' needs! The price would be hefty, but these were dangerous times. As it happened Aurelia had most favoured client status.

"I relinquish control over Ms. Scarlett to you," Moira spoke as she got up. A purely electronic transmission would be sent to Callisto. "Obey her, but keep watch over her. She is a useful tool of the Age of Steel. You will use your position to further strengthen our hold. Aid the Republic when appropriate."

"I stand ready to serve at your command and assist you in your duties, Your Excellency," Scarlett said, speaking up for the first time since she had entered the office. Her entire posture and stance radiated calm. Not a hair was out of place and her suit was perfectly pressed and groomed.

“I’m sure you are,” Aurelia stated grimly. “Well, sit down and we’ll get you started. I’ve been needing a receptionist since the last one quit. Stupid girl.”

Once Callisto had sat obediently Aurelia looked at her. “So, you’re one of the new HRDs, are you? You look human enough to pass inspection. What are your limitations? Do you need a weekly oil bath or something?”

Dramatic irony was building up like a thundercloud.

"No, ma'am. That was judged unhygienic." HRDs could have a sense of humour as well!. "My apologies for the frivolity. I require a one hour power-down period every day. Excepting that I can work throughout the entire day and have no needs that will keep me from fulfilling my tasks," she replied in her perfect, precise voice, completely focused.

"I am trained for secretarial duties, logistics, infiltration, interrogation and combat. Should the need arise I will be capable of terminating hostile force-users."

Aurelia sniffed at the joke. She did not approve of humour, except for her own sometimes vicious jabs.

“All of that, really? It probably will become necessary, what with self-important Magi trampling over the galaxy. Hmm, well, you can put aside your dreams of heroic glory and get to work on the filing. I want it all sorted properly into categories and by author. Do I pay you, or do you just look human?”

Callisto's posture and expression remained as calm and placid as ever. One might have even compared her to a doll in that regard. A very lethal one. "I do not have free time, ma'am. Payment is not required beyond what is needed for me to blend in and access to the resources necessary for the tasks you give me."

The concept of free time did not exist for HRDs! Unlike a certain Countess Callisto would not be wasting time touring Ashira's Mall in the search of the perfect dress, nail polish and lipstick. Well, she might need pretty things but that would be to blend in and she would not waste lots of credits on it. Likewise there would be no slacking to prattle about her love life.

Aurelia raised an eyebrow.
“Indeed? I guess normally I’d have to weigh up the cost to purchase you compared with the expected uses I could get from you. In this case though, I’m ahead of the game and can probably drop some of my existing staff. Still, you should get to work, one of my aides will give you the access codes you need. I want those records organised and sorted by tomorrow morning.”

With that she went back to work, paying no more attention to Ms Scarlett.

Ms. Scarlett quickly departed from Aurelia's office and was guided by an aide to her workplace. Said aide seemed to take a great deal of interest in oggling her and making some comments about how she should really not piss Ms. Saelari off! Saying something positive about Ardak Serifen and Aleidis Ijet was also right out. Not that Callisto was inclined to do that anyway because seriously, peace for our time? How preposterous!

Anyhow, she quickly got to work on the records she had been given. After having quickly concluded that the secretaries in this office were a lousy bunch, but then they were organics. One Togruta secretary was slacking on duty and moping about her love life. Something about her lover fighting at Alderaan and not having called her. This was cause for her to get tremendously dramatic about things. However, an HRD did not have time for frivolous pursuits like that and so she worked through organising and sorting the files in record time, showing a keen attention to detail. Some of the files related to Aurelia's new public presence in the Senate, campaign contributions, several to financial reports and surveys from Saelari Mining.

Aurelia ran the company but it was also strongly a family business, which came as no surprise since control over Pylos' minerals and indeed political dominance over the planet was in the grip of the Saelari dynasty. As she went about her work she came across some...interesting facts.

It seemed as though a certain nephew of Aurelia, Valentinian, had used his position as Contracts Manager to make some especially lucrative deals for himself. These contracts, signed with external companies and businesses, all seemed to have certain irregularities factored in. For one, they weren’t actually the cheapest bid, and there were certain monies assigned to ‘Variations’ or ‘Administration’ which has vanished into untraceable bank accounts.
All of this led, like a jigsaw, back to Valentinian Saelari, who seemed to have acquired a luxury space yacht, palatial mansion and seven figure gambling debts on an otherwise unimpressive salary.

Whether Aurelia knew of this was the question though.

Callisto studied the details laid out before her. Truth be told it was no surprise to her. The bank accounts could not be traced, but nonetheless she kept digging and widened her search. For one she would look into every single one of their contractors, also checking for which services they had paid for. Subsequently she looked into whether Valentinian had worked with other members of the Saelari dynasty. After all, it was a family business. As a matter of fact they ruled the entire planet of Pylos.

The first step would be identifying them by name. Subsequently she would widen her radius by seeking to hack into the online account of Valentinian in order to read his mails and holoconversations. Naturally there would be security systems for that, but then she was a human replica droid. Likewise she would look into the account of his personal assistant to ascertain their involvement.

The PA turned out to be a Pylosian lower caste citizen named Gannus. He had been a diligent, if unremarkable pawn of Valentinian Saelari for several years, and seemed to be the brains behind any operations to hide the money. The picture emerging was that Gannus had also secretly been creaming off some of the profits to his own private slush fund.

It was all very…organic and petty, they lacked the dedication and single goal of machines. On the other hand, there was unfortunately a lot of them these days!

The information she came across was, when one thought about it, rather predictable. Organics were truly petty, lacking dedication and single-minded drive. Of course, the fact that the supposedly so superior machines were pursuing very organic ambitions and notions of purity seemed to escape them. Thus this was doubly ironic.

Moreover, there were so many organics to purge. One might make advanced calculations about the logistical impossibility of wiping them all out. Anyhow, after having done some more digging Callisto seemed satisfied with the information she had uncovered. It was all neatly packaged and compiled in a concise report. Likewise the records were all organised with perfect precision because machines made the best bureaucrats. She would present her findings to Ms. Saelari at her next meeting. It was unlikely that Aurelia was the woman to take kindly to people stealing from her. At least that was the supposition.

Aurelia was working at her desk. It was odd, she thought, she didn't get as tired any more as she used to. She used to have trouble pulling an all-nighter, but now....
She looked at her chrono. Scarlett should be there soon, emerging from wherever she'd gone. Aurelia was unsure if she was happy letting the droid snoop around. You couldn't trust them, she knew.

As could be expected, Callisto was punctual. Perfectly on time actually, as one could expect from a droid. After all, she had no concept of free time and thus would not spend time dawdling with irrelevant pursuits.

"I have organised and sorted the records as you ordered, ma'am," she spoke softly, passing over a pad that summarised things. "During this task I came across information of relevance. Evidence that Valentinian Saelari is abusing his position as Contracts Manager to make lucrative deals for himself and siphon off credits from your Company. He has been using this to live far above what his salary would permit. The money has been laundered into several offshore accounts. A number of the companies involved are of ill repute. His assistant is likewise implicated."

The datapad contained a concise, but detailed overview of the relevant financial transactions, at least as far as she had been able to trace them. Of course, many organics were in the habit of denying obvious facts. Either because it was convenient for them or due to personal attachments. At the same time it was doubtful that Aurelia was the naively trusting type of organic. She probably only trusted in her own 'genius' and the inferiority of everyone else. Which, ironically enough, was exactly like our genocidal HRDs.

Aurelia looked at the evidence in silence. Finally, she laid it down.
"Yes, I know," she said blandly. "My brother is an important person on Pylos, and is running the planet for me whilst I'm away. I've made sure him and his son are well...compensated."
There was absolutely no shame there. Aurelia was a corrupt nepotist, always had been and probably always would be.

"Get rid of the assistant. I don't need that lower caste scum cashing in on my money. I'll have a word with Val and tell him to ease off. Is that all?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom