Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stinger-Class Corvette

Corey's OOC

And where were the spiders
pocket_star_destroyer_concept_by_quacky112-d3bof48.jpg

http://quacky112.deviantart.com/art/Pocket-Star-Destroyer-Concept-201013640

Intent: To create a modular Corvette for the Confederacy of Independent Systems
Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Druckenwell Shipyards
Model: Stinger-Class Corvette
Affiliation: Confederacy of Independent Systems
Modularity: Yes, several packages
Production: Mass 

Material: Durasteel, Transparisteel 

Description: With the new face of warfare in the galaxy, Druckenwell Shipyards and the Techno Union are working on new and exciting products for the Confederate War Effort. The first product of this new thought process is the Stinger-Class Corvette, a fully modular corvette that can fulfill a variety of roles, depending on the load out. While these can not be modified during fleet operations, they can be completely repurporsed at Confederate space stations, and fulfill roles such as anti-starfighter, electronic warfare, cargo/personnel transport, missile ship and boarding craft. Designed with the preservation of life in mind, along side the Haor Chall Engineers, the Stinger is purposed to be crewed by a skeleton crew without sacrificing optimal performance.

Classification: Corvette
Role: Modular Corvette
Height: 25 meter
Width: 20 meter
Length: 75 meter
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Solar Ionizaton Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 1.0
Minimum Crew: 10
Optimal Crew: 22
Armaments:
Anti-Starfighter Modulation (Support)
  • 2 Turbo Laser Batteries
  • 5 Quad Laser Turrets
Electronic Warfare Modulation (Support)
  • 5 Quad Laser Turrets
  • Radar Jammer
  • Chaff Launcer
Missile Modulation (Assault)
  • 12 Warhead Launchers
  • 5 Quad Laser Turrets
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Standard Communications System
  • Standard Life Support
  • Standard Deflector Shields
  • Standard Navigation System
  • Standard Targeting System
  • Standard Sensor Array
  • SpyNet Encryption Network
Passenger Capacity: 15/50 

Cargo Capacity: 750/1000 ton 

Consumables: 1 month
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 5

[member="Marek Starchaser"]

A few things.

• In order for this to be considered a corvette, and employ the full corvette armament, this must have one dimension at least 100 meters in length.
  • Modular capital ships are not really a thing. Starfighters and gunships can easily be modular due to their size. It would be prohibitively expensive to try and make a modular capital ship without very specialized technology and a dev thread. In general, it's faster, easier, and cheaper to simply make two different ships from the same hull than to try and make one hull be able to swap out weapons and do multiple things.
  • If a ship is running on a skeleton crew, it's going to suffer in performance. Most corvettes require 50-75 crew to run effectively. The minimum crew count is basically the skeleton crew count; the bare number of crew needed to operate a ship in combat. But because there are so few, the ship's performance would suffer greatly. Optimal crew gives the ship maximum efficiency in a fight. So either the optimal crew count needs to come up, or you need to include in the description something describing a sub-average combat performance against comparable ships.

Corey's OOC

And where were the spiders
[member="Ayden Cater"]
Thanks for getting on this one so quick. I understand part two on this and thats where the majority of a delay is going to be on this ship. Would it be possible for any modulation in this way? Or just stick away from large modulation? I was only working off the CR....60? 90? in canon as my inspiration for modulation.

If Modulation on the scale I've got in mind isn't a possibility, can we please archive this and I'll run at it again with another corvette shortly?

[member="Marek Starchaser"]

Well part of it depends on how you define 'modularity'. If you mean "I can swap out this piece for a similar piece in a few days in dock", then that's mostly do-able vs a "non-modular" ship basically requiring a strip down of the affected section, which would take considerably longer.

Though that does bring us to the next point; modularity works best when things are roughly equivalent. Swapping out a turbolaser for an ion cannon? Pretty easy. Swapping out a turbolaser battery for a couple of warhead launchers? Considerably more difficult. If this were just the difference of one ship has ion cannons vs the other has turbolasers, then it would be fine. But to have such wildly different configurations like that, something's gonna have a hard time.

While we're on the subject of configurations; your assault configuration wouldn't be valid. To trade in all the capital guns, after the penalty, you'd only end up with three extra warhead launchers. As well, you'd only have four quad laser cannons, not five.

There is a lot of work here that would have to be done. Ultimately I leave the choice in your hands; we can sit down and try to work this concept out or you could simply sub a second corvette and pair the two in fights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom