Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stepping Into Silence [Kail]

Just another run.

It had been several years since Nar Shaddaa; Adiara had long since come to terms with the loss of his traveling companion, Aerin, though there was still a hole left behind. As if part of his very soul had been numbed. He couldn't even really explain why it was that he had been affected in this way, he was used to being alone, self imposed exile to the stars had been his doing many years ago. There had always been a nagging what if scenario left behind in his mind; the wonders they might have seen, the Oceans of Pelagon, the Dune Seas of Tatooine, the Jungles of Dxun... Alas, it was not to be. And he could lament it no longer.

He had been roaming space now for quite some time. He'd picked up cargo on a Station in the Tingle Arm and had been meandering his way toward its destination. His comms had been shut off, holo-feeds too, Adiara needed some time to himself, to unwind and reconfigure his mental state. Space was vast, and thankfully travel wasn't instantaneous. He had been allowed days without interruption, all without breaking his schedule.

So it was that he approached Mirial; the world looked rather bland from space, another sun-ridden desert. More sand to irritate the inside of his boots. But as his ship made the descent through atmosphere and down toward the planet surface he could not help but frown. Something seemed off. And as if reading his mind, lights began to blare within the cockpit as his sensors picked up on unusually high readings of radiation from the City they had been descending to.

Only one look through his transparisteel window revealed not a City but instead a looming crater in the distance, the remnants of a ship far superior to his own left in its wake. Realising it would be folly to land there, exposure to radiation not exactly on his bucket list, Adi recharted his course and made for a town out away from the crash site. He worried over the City folk, and hoped that aid had been sent their way. It was a rare thing for ships to fall from the sky when said ships were so large!

Once safely docked Adiara left the safety of his ship and stepped out into the sun. Where he expected to hear the general rabble of the Mirialan's Adi was instead met by... Silence. No voices, although there was the occasional squawk of a carrion overhead. He felt his pulse quicken, heartbeat resounding in his ears. With a gulp he took a few steps into the ghost town. "Hello?" he called, his wary word echoing across the sandstone buildings. He could swear a tumbleweed blew across his peripheral.

Something was not right at all.

Perhaps they had gone to aid the City?

And then he saw it. Tools had been abandoned, toys left scattered, weapons upon the ground, and food left over an open flame, black as coal. He stepped toward one of the fires, which had long since been blown out, and reached out to check the kindling. It was freezing. No one had been here for days.

While he may not have been a Force User, Adiara was still connected to the Force; even an untrained Sensitive could pick up on some subtleties, senses that were more acute than your average person, and now he could feel the presence of another. It wasn't close by, but it was the only sign of life around, and what's more it seemed to be calling to him. Not literally, there was no voice to be heard, but on a more spiritual level. Adi usually ignored anything to do with the Force, the damn thing had ruined his life, but this wasn't usual.

Lamenting what had to be the loss of so much life, he set off in its direction. Every now and then he would see signs of struggle in the town he was passing through; blaster marks scorched sandstone, traces of blood lay dried in the sand... Something had happened here, and he didn't have to be a Forcie to realise just how horrific it must have been.

[member='Kail Myn']

So many had been killed, and of those remained there were none left without wounds. Yet it wasn't the wounds of flesh or bone that haunted Kail the most, it was looking in the eyes of the some thousand few survivors left and realizing that each and every one of them had their very souls stripped from them; only the will to survive remained. Even then some had gone insane, others took their own lives...

It was a mess, and she wondered if even the greatest of Jedi would have any hope in mending the terrible wound left in Mirial. How many of the Mirialans afar had felt their kin be slaughtered by warfare and dark rituals? She only knew one thing... It was them. Those who waged war in the name of their Gods and conquered Wild Space without granting mercy to those who lived upon the worlds they claimed.

It had been two years since Kail Myn left the Silver Jedi in pursuit of greater mysteries within the depths of Wild Space, having never completed her training, the unproven Padawan offered little relief to the refugees she aided in a camp only a few klicks away from where the spacer's starship had landed.

Someone needed to answer for the destruction here... Someone had to be held accountable, and appease the broken hearts of these poor people. The young woman's hands pressed against the table inside her tent, she wanted to cry for them but her eyes remained dry like the deserts of Mirial.

"Why has this happened?" She muttered to herself, it had already been a few weeks but no matter how many days pass, the realization of what happened could not escape her thoughts.

Nor could she ever truly comprehend them.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

It wasn't a long trek from one settlement to the next, yet it felt like an eternity with the sun beating down on his back. The closer he got, the more life he could sense - and this provided a larger amount of relief than even water could have at this moment in time. But there was still the one presence which outshone the rest, it felt oddly familiar... Not as though he really knew it, but more that he had felt it before. Adiara wasn't very good at utilizing these natural traits he'd gleaned from birth, so he didn't really know poodoo, but still... He couldn't help but feel somewhat haunted.

Grief was ripe in the air when he finally stepped into the camp. Weary faces glared at him with distrust, so few of them were even Mirialan... Which struck him as odd. Where were all the native refugees? He could see one or two, children who cowered alongside their alien companions mostly, but nowhere near the amount that there should've been for a primarily native-world.

Approaching one of the refugees who looked the most stable and sane, Adiara dropped into a crouch and offered out his canteen of water. "Who's in charge around here?" he asked, allowing the man his fill of his flask. For a moment the man said nothing, downing the water until he was gasping for air and then some. But he did eventually tip his head in the direction of one of the tents, it looked the same as all the rest which was humbling and reassuring. Not someone lording over the rest.

"Thank you." He rose without taking back his canteen, realising that these people needed it more, and stepped toward the tent. It seemed as though the Force was laughing at him, for the closer he got the more familiar that nagging presence was... Until his sense seemed to disappear all together. He coughed, not wanting to simply walk in unaddressed, and gently peeled back part of the tarp.

"Excuse the intrusion" he began, not looking inside yet, "but I was ... told ... you were leading the relief? May I enter?"

[member="Kail Myn"]

Her thoughts began to cloud her judgement, and allowed emotions to reign sovereign inside her until a stranger's voice broke the trance she caught herself in. Kail jolted a bit, the pace of her heart picked up briefly before she exhaled, allowing herself to calm down and turn to face whoever stood just out side the tent.

Using her hands to boost herself up onto the table which she used as a makeshift seat, she remained silent at first. It took her some time for her thoughts collect, and finally she had an answer.

"You may enter," she spoke softly but still it was loud enough for anyone short of hard-hearing to pick up. Inside the tent was somewhat of a mess, a small cot laid on along the left side where only a pile of clothes and junk could be found, and over to the side opposite were basic meals commonly found in starship ration stores, many of which days old and mostly untouched.

Along her on the table where she sat were datapads, and pieces of rock that had no apparent value or purpose to their existence.

The man had called her the 'leader of this relief,' which Kail found somewhat amusing. She hadn't really thought about it as of yet, but ever since she took on the burden of helping these people so much had fallen onto her to keep them from falling into irreversible despair.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

Brushing aside the entrance Adiara stepped into the tent; his eyes first drifted to the rations left untouched on one side, then to the sprawling mess of clothes, junk, and datapads. This poor individual was tormenting themselves over what had happened no doubt. Then he saw the rocks; to most they may have looked meaningless, but Adiara was curious about their origins.

"Are they from the crash site?" he couldn't help but ask, gesturing to the rocks before lifting his gaze and settling them to the woman for the first time. There was something strikingly familiar about her eyes, only he could swear that the ones he had been thinking of were filled with more innocence than worry.

"Apologies for interrupting you, I couldn't help but notice all of the devastation; my shipment is basically useless now, so it seems I'm at a loss of what to do with myself. Are you needing any help out here? I have rations in my cargo bay, if you're running low. I can also offer my aid as a medic, I've dealt with worse."

A craven he may have been, but Adiara was not cruel. He knew what it was to be hungry, to struggle. He had seen enough war-torn worlds to know when one had been ransacked, and witnessed the fallout left behind. He itched to aid the injured, the natural medic in him coming to light. But more so than all of this, he knew this girl... He just couldn't place his finger on where he had seen her before.

[member="Kail Myn"]

Kail noticed a striking familiarity in the man's features, although she couldn't exactly pinpoint where from. With all that had gone on, it was hard to forget recent events and even harder to recall fond memories of the past. She wasn't exactly bitter, but seeing that loss and witnessing devastation was not something easily overcome; perhaps she'd never overcome it.

For a moment a slight smile curled across her lips, but it soon faded. She looked over to the rocks, "I tried to find what I could.. Anything to allow these people to remember their home as so many wish to depart." She didn't blame any of them, few would wish to remain at the site of their grief. Yet so few were willing to bring a piece of home with them. They'd rather--for now--forget that it all happened, live their lives in denial, and try to move forward elsewhere in the galaxy. It is how many reacted to such things they could not grasp all at once, it would take many years for anyone to heal to point where they'd be able to accept what happened.

"If you want to help, you could do so by telling me what the hell is going on out there..." Of course she was talking about the rest of the galaxy. No one had come to aid the Mirialans during their struggle, and certainly a twenty-year-old Padawan wasn't about to make the cut. "Supplies are welcomed, of course." She added with a nod, accepting his offer of aid.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

Adiara frowned a sad frown and took one further step into the tent. "You look exhausted" he remarked, between her words, "and when was the last time you ate?" Shaking his head, knowing full well the consequences of failing to look after yourself, shock or no shock, the man gave her a sympathetic glance.

"The Galaxy is ever ignorant to the plight of one world, when it does not concern them directly. My ship is not too far, however, I'd be more than happy to send out distress signals and call for further aid. Is there anyone in particular you would like to receive a message?"

It took him a few moments more for the pieces to fall into place within his mind. She looked different now, and the grief of Mirialan's attack had no doubt worn her down, but Adiara knew who she was. "Kail?" he inquired, all at once, his brows furrowing. Now that he had said her name he knew it was her, the girl from Nar Shaddaa. She had seemed out of her element there; it wasn't right her being here now, she wasn't old enough to be overseeing such trauma.

"Oh, sweetheart" he murmured, "What have you had to witness?"

Genuinely upset at the thought of her innocence having been dashed away the way it had, Adi sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll definitely bring some supplies, food, medical, you name it, I'll set up a trauma station out of my ship, bring it close by, and tend to everyone who needs it. It's the least I can do." He just hoped that whoever had done this would not return. Adiara did not want to have to pull out a blaster. That was his least favourite thing to do. War was nasty.

"In the meantime you need to rest; you're no use to anyone half-starved and insomnic."

[member="Kail Myn"]

His words were certainly bitter truth, but that didn't make her want to hear them any more than she had to. She truly wished there was aid, but she hadn't any idea who to contact. "Perhaps the Silver Jedi?" She perked up, although she had abandoned the order for reasons unknown to them, the thought was a fond one. "...Assuming they're still around," she then muttered, realizing that anything might've changed in two years.

Kail heard of the assault on Ziost, and how the Primeval had dealt a blow to the Silver Jedi. Those same zealots were the ones responsible for delivering the xenocide of Mirial. If they did return, they certainly would aim to finish the job; that is a constant fear for her. "You know my na--" Kail cut herself off, realizing just now where she recognized him from. Nar Shaddaa. Her journey to the crime-infested moon was certainly one of her more colourful memories, and he was one of its greatest characters. "I can't believe you found yourself all the way out here, and are speaking face-to-face with me." The thought was somewhat endearing, as if the force worked in mysterious ways.

"Please do what you can to help, there are so many in need," her mood had already begun to improve. It wasn't much and it certainly wasn't going to be permanent, but these small pieces of hope are all that keeps anyone going in times like these. As for his recommendation, she wanted to shake her head and refuse outright but already the fatigue was getting to her. If she hadn't any connection to the force, she'd likely have passed out exhaustion already.

"I do not want to burden you more than I have to," it was a selfish comment. To put herself at the center in hope that her own self-pity would be a distraction from the guilt she felt. Yet taking that guilt upon herself was equally selfish, and helped nobody--especially not the Mirialan who lost most.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

Adiara managed a brief coy half-smile, in an attempt to be reassuring, before once again shaking his head at her stubbornness. "You're not a burden, but you'll definitely be of no help if you pass out in the middle of a task. Best you rest now, I'll be back with my ship shortly; let me worry about the camp for a few hours, okay?"

It was good to see a familiar face after witnessing the ghost town earlier... Strange, but nice.

Without waiting for her approval on the matter, Adiara turned and left the camp. The man from earlier was on his feet now, looking a little worse for wear but lively all the same. As a result Adi walked over to him. "Excuse me, good sir, I don't mean to bother you, but I could do with your help; could you gather up any injured civilians, and bring them to... That tent, over there?"

He pointed to one of the larger tents, already on his way, "I'll be back shortly" he called over his shoulder, and to his delight the man was straight on task heading toward a group of refugees. It seemed there were still some good people left in the Galaxy.

The journey back to his ship was tiring, with the man having rushed. Once onboard though he allowed himself respite - he drank his fill of water and set off back to the camp at lightning speed thanks to the ship. Half an hour must have passed, though it could have been more or less since his concept of time was jolted due to spending so long in space.

When the ship was docked in the sand, close enough to the camp to be of use, Adiara picked up a portable holo-com and a pack of medical supplies and exited the vessel. Once outside he sent out several distress calls to his contacts, spread out across the Galaxy, before specifically requesting contact with the Silver Jedi.

On the other end of the feed a Jedi came into view, and Adiara had to hold back his personal disagreement with their kind in order to pass on the plight of the Mirialans. Whoever he had spoken to, he didn't care for their name, promised to pass the message along to [member='Thurion Heavenshield'] and [member='Coci Heavenshield'], and Adi made a mental note to converse with them again later. For now there were more pressing matters.

Settling the pack down he hastily returned to grab some rations and placed them alongside his medical pack. This time he called on a woman, who looked in decent enough condition.

"Split up these rations, ensure everyone gets their fair share; there'll be more later, so don't feel any need to hide some." He knew what desperation could cause. Shouldering his pack he made his way toward the large tent from earlier, and saw a relatively large congregation inside.

He immediately began to siphon off the walking wounded, informing them that he would send for them later. Next were those who were badly injured yet able to manage for now. Lastly were those who required immediate attention.

Then came the hard task; who to see to first. This could make or break the deal.

Choosing his first patient, Adiara swiftly got to work. At the same time he called over his shoulder, looking for anyone else with medical experience or those who were quick learners with a steady hand. He'd need all the help he could get.

[member="Kail Myn"]

Kail sighed, her eyes trailed Adiara as he left the tent to take over the situation for the time being. Sliding herself off the table, the young woman wandered to her bed, lazily pushing the junk off the cot and laying down against the uncomfortable mattress. No mater how uncomfortable it was, her resignation was assured and in only a few minutes her eyes had shut and the Jedi found herself in a deep sleep.

As she drifted off, hours had passed and for the first time in almost two weeks her body was allowed to rejuvenate. A twenty-year-old--Jedi or not--was not the person for the job; even Jedi Masters would struggle to provide the relief necessary to these refugees. With limited supply, limited manpower, and just as little hope, the situation on Mirial required aid that only a galactic power could provide. The costs, organizational needs, and resource requirements were certainly out of Kail's league who had nothing to her name but the clothes on her back.

Perhaps the force had guided Adiara to her side, and maybe he would have some knowledge in this more than desperate situation. Although even in the realm of her dreams, Kail knew it was too much of her to ask for further aid from the man. He had volunteered his services, and anything else would be far beyond her means. Yet the pain in her heart for all these poor people was not easily extinguished by logic and reasoning. So long as they suffered, she would feel that suffering too.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

Adiara had managed to acquire two helping hands in the medical tent that afternoon; one had been a doctor, though his hands had become rather shaky due to the stress and shock of the situation making Adi less inclined to let him do anything hands on. He'd been tasked with sorting through the medical supplies and distributing medicine. The other was a young woman, she wasn't exactly the most knowledgeable but she could sew in a straight line, her hand was steady and she was attentive and fast learning. She had turned into his assistant, and together they had stabilized the more severe cases.

Bedrolls were settled upon the ground where the patients were now resting. Adiara's usually pure white shirt was covered in blood, as were his hands and forehead. Rising up he made his way toward a basin filled with water and began to clean down the bloodied skin. It didn't take long for the water to become crimson. Shaking the water from his hand, the man then turned and surveyed the room. "Take a ten minute break, and then we'll reconvene to continue."

Striding from the tent, Adiara picked up a ration pack and a skin of water and wandered back toward Kail's tent. Once outside he coughed, and parted the entrance with one hand. "Kail?" he said, stepping inside and settling the pack down. While waiting for her to come around, he began to prepare the rations, settling the contents of the pack onto a plate and pouring out some water into a metal cup. Then he walked over to her side and settled both down onto the side table beside her bed. "You need to eat."

[member="Kail Myn"]

Kail slowly opened her eyes, not making a sound as he entered. She had neither a dream nor a nightmare, it seemed her mind itself was too tired to entertain thoughts of light or darkness. Perhaps even the force around her was fatigued by proxy... If so, she took some comfort in that fact for her Jedi nature had put additional strain on her ability to lead as of late.

Rolling over to face the food on side table, she glanced up at Adiara. Her red hair was an absolute disaster. She couldn't even recall how many hours she'd been out, but despite feeling good she also had somewhat of a migraine due to not having slept in so long. Slowly the woman sat up, her hand reached to bring the plate to her lap but before eating she began to drink the liquid contents of the cup. Sighing with relief after swallowing the refreshing water, she looked down at the food. "I am sick just thinking of eating," she muttered.

Clearly a result of her depression, more so than the stress.

Even still she began taking a few, small bites of her food; chewing slowly as she did.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

Adiara gave a slight nod of his head to what she said. "Nausea is common in one who has failed to look after themselves, it could be caused by all manner of things." He stared at her intently for a moment, noting a slight haze in her eyes, and frowned, "How's your head?" She wasn't looking too great, but he hadn't expected one rest to undo days, maybe even weeks, of personal strife brought about by Mirial's sacking.

Running a hand up through his hair, which was slightly damp from when he washed the grime from his face, Adiara gave her an apologetic look. "I didn't mean to wake you; I managed to contact the Sanctum, but I'll try to contact the Grandmaster directly soon. I'm not sure if the severity of the situation will pass well between Jedi." From what he had seen and experienced in his youth, they were often a little too calm in such situations.

"Is there anything I can get you? I'll have to go finish tending to the injured shortly, you're welcome to come along if you feel up to it."

In truth, Kail wished to leave this world; to leave all that strife behind and walk away from Mirial. Yet it didn't seem that she could walk away from this people, knowing that without her they may very well suffer a fate worse than death...

"I guess I'll come with you," she nodded her head. Some time away from this tent was probably a good thing. Having someone like Adiara here to help, that in itself was a blessing for sure, and she knew not how to thank him. Setting her plate aside after taking a few more bites, she sat up and stood next to Adiara, facing the opposite direction he did. "Thank you," she mumbled before leaving the tent.

Stepping outside into the sunlight, Kail squinted her eyes as they began to adjust after sleeping.

A few children sat quietly, one of them dragging a stick through the dust out of boredom. Those who were young enough to have no comprehension were the lucky ones... They'd been spared the pain.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

She didn't respond to his questions, so he resigned himself to keep a wary watch over her throughout the day to ensure she kept hydrated. He was concerned, having seen many people suffer because they put the need of so many others above their own; it was one thing to wish to help, and another thing all together to do so at your own detriment. One could not lead, or support, others if one was not themselves supported.

When she set aside the plate and rose part of him wanted to stop her, and make her finish the meal. But sunlight would do her good, too, and he didn't wish to ridicule or child her. So he let her go.

Following her outside, Adiara stretched like a lion basking in the sun and stifled a yawn with the back of his hand. His ten minutes were almost up, and then he'd be back in the tent which stank of infection and death. He had already lost one patient so far, he refused to lose any more. Thankfully only the walking wounded had yet to be tended to, he just hoped those which lay in bedrolls remained stable.

"My name is Adiara in case you forgot, by the way" he said, stepping up to her side but remaining half a foot back. His gaze scanned the camp, it was a terrible sight to be seen. Not the worst, mind you. Reaching into one of his pockets, Adiara pulled out a pouch of grey gabaki. Usually he smoked it, a horrible habit he picked up during his time in the medi-corps for this very reason, but today he planned on simply lighting some in braziers to try and help ease the people's mind.

First, though, he'd have to gain Kail's approval. "Do you mind if I light some? It's a relaxant, Onrai knows these people could do with a bit of time away from their worries. Besides, the medical tent smells of death... It's very off putting."

[member="Kail Myn"]

"I don't mind," she mumbled.

Truthfully her attention was elsewhere. It only made sense; even if she was hydrated, her thoughts were still piecing themselves together. Lately she began wondering if it's perhaps time to finally join up with this "Galactic Alliance," that tried to recruit her before the whole mess involving that Sith warrior. She didn't forget that fight. Kail wasn't a warrior, she wasn't strong in the force like most Jedi are.

The fact she was ever accepted as a padawan was simply due to her upbringing. The knowledge she had was valuable enough to grant her entry, or perhaps they were wary of a force sensitive with vast knowledge regarding ancient Sith, their ways, and even the extent of their powers. Certainly Kail was not interested in using Sith magics, but the thought had probably crossed the minds of her masters during her time with the Order.

Somehow she never stopped to think what might've happened if she remained on Voss, there was nothing there for her but a home.

Yet why they let her go willingly was puzzling. Perhaps she wasn't a threat at all.

[member="Adiara Drelas"]

She seemed lost with her thoughts, and Adiara knew it was not his place to stop her for now. She had every right to worry, and so long as she didn't forget to look after herself he wouldn't press her further. Instead he gave a nod of his head and set off in the direction of his ship, where he had some burners stored away for reasons such as this.

By the time he was done, his ten minutes were up.

Re-entering the tent, Adiara scanned the area looking for Kail before settling the braziers atop surfaces throughout the tent and very carefully placing in the gabaki which he proceeded to light - making sure to blow out the actual flames so it burned safely.

Then he got back to work. His gaze would drift to Kail as he cleaned wounds, applied salves, sutured wounds and generally tended to the walking wounded's ailments. Part of him also wanted to prescribe a dose of antibiotics in order to stifle any infections before they arose, but he didn't want to weaken their natural defenses on a whim.

[member="Kail Myn"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom