Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Starship Template Redundancies

With the new year fast approaching and with it the Factory re-opening on the 7th, it seems as good a time as any to field a suggestion regarding a few pet peeves of mine regarding the current Starship Template. If you're looking for matters of great importance, this probably isn't it, sorry.

My argument is twofold, one pertaining to Hangars and the other Hyperdrives.
  1. Probably most controversially, remove Hangar Allocation in favour of considering any and all Small Craft used in a combat capacity (or just any and all Small Craft period, though I personally wouldn't count PC shuttles/tugboats/other "fluff" ships) as a Starfighter. Or Combat Craft. Or simply Small Spacecraft. No fuss, no muss - starfighters, bombes, boarding craft, kamikaze drones, and whatever other twisted ideas emerge from our collective brains all fall under the same hangar count.
    1. Pros: It's simpler and more intuitive - no need to consider what's a Support Craft and what isn't. It makes more sense ICly, as everything we've seen from Canon indicates that hangars just sort of house everything that flies, regardless of designation. Finally, Canon vessels already do this - most count Starfighters while ignoring all the other stuff that doesn't directly affect naval combat.
    2. Cons: People who care more about "winning" than roleplay might take this as an excuse for some sort of weird shenanigans, but again, I'd circumvent that by just describing anything used in a combat capacity (in space, anyway, groundside rarely bothers with the same overly specific numbers.) as a Starfighter (or whatever). Yes, that includes tug boats altered to turn them into ramships, or anything else really.
    3. Options: At the very least, consider allowing variable Hangar Allocation. I've made space stations that can serve as everything from planetary garrisons to prisons to research outposts but who must always have the exact same number of Starfighter/Support squadrons. It's pretty silly and I really don't see how some flexibility is abusable.
  2. Hyperdrives, now largely irrelevant balance-wise (which is another Suggestion Khonsu already made - and better than I ever could, mind you), definitely don't need two entire fields solely for them, one of which is seemingly just supposed to read "Yes." in 90% of cases. If you have a Hyperdrive Class listed, you obviously have a Hyperdrive equipped. This is kind of like if the Species Template had one field for whether a Species breathes and another for what atmosphere it breathes.
Sorry for the rant, I'm done now if you're still reading.

TL;DR: Remove the distinction between Starfighters and Support Craft, it's not necessary and ICly nonsensical, and cut Hyperdrive down to a single field again, because a field whose contents is entirely redundant is not something that should be included in a mandatory template.

P.S. Pet peeves or not, I still love you Factory people, you do one hell of a job handling all those submissions.

Fiolette Fortan

F
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite suggestion/post on the Citadel.

This would help out immensely and just make things smooth running, and besides if it's broken it'll get reported and adjusted later. Also, I advocate for LT-137 LT-137 's suggestions which have been and continue to be well worded.

Thank you for making this thread AMCO AMCO I'll be sure to send Sithspawn DNA samples in lieu of flowers at your wake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom