Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars RPing and Hyperspace Travel

For years, whenever Mak had to head to another world using a ship and hyperspace travel, he would allow for a couple of hours to pass instead of a few minutes or a half-hour to make it reasonable.

However, last night, I was interested in seeing what Star Wars had to say on the subject.

In reality, very little...

Other than a brief description on Wookieepedia from Star Wars: Behind The Magic which stated that getting from Coruscant to Alderaan would take around sixteen hours due to obstacles from gravity wells produced by stars.

So, I decided to do more checking and found a TOR chart and a chart on Star Wars Chronicles (both using the same numbers) that shows how long it would take to get from one part of the Galaxy to the other.

tumblr_ndnvtbE2Im1rqnrvfo2_r1_1280.png

Even the shortest time is half a day to get to another point. I'd like to know what other people think on the matter and what your views are on hyperspace travel times in RPing.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
[member="Mak Manto"]

I love this. Always found these sorts of things interesting, and I've based many an RP on one of my pilots simply hanging around onboard their ship, waiting for the trip through hyperspace to conclude. It's a great bit of scenery to provide as backdrop for character musings.

I would say these times are averaged, considering that traveling from the western Core Worlds to the eastern Core Worlds would take longer than traveling the relatively short jump from Alderaan to Coruscant. Also, consider the black hole in the middle. It kind of gets in the way of things. :D

[member="Mak Manto"]
I believe these are also based on the average, civilian or roughly around there, hyperdrive class. A class 1 would generally reach Point B quicker than a class 2, and so on.

Edit:
The superluminal speed of a hyperdrive was rated on a decreasing scale; the faster the hyperdrive, the lower the rating. These ratings were generally referred to as "Classes" and provided a quick, although often inconsistent or inaccurate, idea of a ship's hyperdrive speed. It was based on an asymptotic scale with Class 0.0 being infinite speed. In 30 BBY. By the end of the Clone Wars most military starships were using Class 3 or Class 2. During the Galactic Civil War, military capital ships and starfighters were generally equipped with Class 1 or Class 2, industrial freighters and haulers with Class 3 or Class 4, and civilian starships with Class 5 or above. Many vessels mounted backup hyperdrives of much higher—that is, slower—class than their primary hyperdrive.

Some starships, such as the Millennium Falcon, underwent after-market modifications to achieve ratings of Class 0.5, and Dash Rendar's Outrider also had a hyperdrive Class 0.75, which was also achieved by modifications, although tampering with the generally stable technology of a hyperdrive was considered a dangerous activity. Boba Fett's Slave I had a class 0.7 hyperdrive. Hyperdrives built by those outside the sphere of the Galactic Republic, Galactic Empire and New Republic, such as the Hapan Froond-class hyperdrive, were not classed in the standard system, as controlled comparisons were difficult to attain. Some Zonama Sekotan ships were able to achieve a Class 0.4 by combining high class hyperdrives with organic technology,[5] as did the Bes'uliik starfighter via fusion of Verpine and Mandalorian technology.[6]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Hyperspace is what makes large ships better than small ships. On a Star Destroyer you can hit the gym, water the garden, eat out for lunch, and still make a yoga class before you arrive. Hyperspace in the cockpit of an X-Wing? Ugh. Now that's torture.

Travel time also never affects my RPs. I'm a fan of "Handwavium Insta-Teleports" anyway. Truth. If PvP didn't exist, I'd drop a Hypergate on the surface of every planet I could find. Just to save me the trouble and never have pay for a starship again. :D :p

The crew of the Knight's Helm find a variety of ways to pass the time on these flights. Movie nights, charades, pin the tail on the rankor, and twister just to name a few!

Despite having an upgraded hyperdrive, we also like to avoid any unnecessary... Entanglements... If you will. As such, those flight times are pretty accurate with how I RP it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom