Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion SSD Rule Alterations

Okay, so I noticed that SSD length ships are set to 10000 meters. And that's cool! Honest! But I noticed that there are cannon examples way bigger. And that the rules to create them via Dominion Threads seems...clanky.

So I propose a few changes to make things interesting, and to get certain creative restraints loosened on what can be fielded.

1. Allow Major Factions to have precisely one SSD bigger than ten kilometers, And classify it in the "Mega" SSD range

2. Allow Minor factions to have precisely one SSD of their own to balance it all out

3. Alter the requirements to develop SSD Vessels, not tying them to Dominion completions, and instead to at least 3 long form threads with at least three to four other members showing design, resource acquisition, and finally construction

Okay, so I noticed that SSD length ships are set to 10000 meters. And that's cool! Honest! But I noticed that there are cannon examples way bigger. And that the rules to create them via Dominion Threads seems...clanky.

So I propose a few changes to make things interesting, and to get certain creative restraints loosened on what can be fielded.

1. Allow Major Factions to have precisely one SSD bigger than ten kilometers, And classify it in the "Mega" SSD range

2. Allow Minor factions to have precisely one SSD of their own to balance it all out

3. Alter the requirements to develop SSD Vessels, not tying them to Dominion completions, and instead to at least 3 long form threads with at least three to four other members showing design, resource acquisition, and finally construction
Not a bad idea on the first two points. Idk if i agree with the third point, just because I think the owning of SSDs should be somewhat tied to the 'map game' for Major factions.

I don't see why this couldn't be implemented for minor factions though, since minors can't do dominions.

And they should totally be restricted to military endeavors, Aximand Sicarus Aximand Sicarus , I only think that the Dom Requirements a bit too limiting because Dom threads can die very quickly, due to lack of interest, and some don't even get past two pages and there isn't a lot of intellectual/emotional payoff to the construction of a super warship as it stands.

Doing it like this allows Major Factions Writers to develop SSD's at their own pace, instead of being forced to constantly post in one thread they may not have a real motivation to be in. Developing Threads for SSD's, even though it must take longer, makes it feel more 'earned' rather than "Oh, I happened to complete 3 Dom's in one month" which feels unrewarding beyond a naked requirement.

It also prevents the suckers from being constructed too readily or employed too casually in threads, as if you lose one, you would have to go through the three stage development process I propose all over again, which would hopefully make faction members more judicious about their employment. Plus, letting Minor factions develope one without being tied to the map game allows them to stand up to Major Factions better, and gives Minor factions more of an ability to compete and remain in the game without being swallowed up quite so easily

And they should totally be restricted to military endeavors, Aximand Sicarus Aximand Sicarus , I only think that the Dom Requirements a bit too limiting because Dom threads can die very quickly, due to lack of interest, and some don't even get past two pages and there isn't a lot of intellectual/emotional payoff to the construction of a super warship as it stands.

Doing it like this allows Major Factions Writers to develop SSD's at their own pace, instead of being forced to constantly post in one thread they may not have a real motivation to be in. Developing Threads for SSD's, even though it must take longer, makes it feel more 'earned' rather than "Oh, I happened to complete 3 Dom's in one month" which feels unrewarding beyond a naked requirement.

It also prevents the suckers from being constructed too readily or employed too casually in threads, as if you lose one, you would have to go through the three stage development process I propose all over again, which would hopefully make faction members more judicious about their employment. Plus, letting Minor factions develope one without being tied to the map game allows them to stand up to Major Factions better, and gives Minor factions more of an ability to compete and remain in the game without being swallowed up quite so easily

As I stated before, I believe your third suggestion is a good one for minor factions.

However, the problem you're mentioning about dominions would be true for any longform threads. The problem isn't the mechanic of dominions themselves. I would contend that faction staff should keep a pulse as to what is interesting for their faction and make dominions accordingly.

I will say though, dominion stories not being completed is a pet peeve of mine, and I think it bears contemplation on how to fix that.

And as another credit to your idea, I do like the idea of making actual development specific threads to contribute to the creation of an SSD, but I also think it would inadvertantly hyperfocus the creation of an SSD to characters who actually are a part of the manufacturing process. How would that apply to a soldier? A Jedi?

That said, I think it would be interesting to perhaps change the requirement to 2 doms/longform threads, and 1 creation-specific thread to create an SSD.

But that's just my opinion lol. Kudos to you though, it seems like this is a pretty well thought out suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom