Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech SR-387 Sniper and Reconaissance Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Wrynn

T
ih_sniper+rifle01d.jpg

Image Source: http://www.isaachannaford.com/2011/01/more-halo-reach-weapons.html
Intent: Tobias Wrynn's personal weapon.
Development Thread: If necessary.
Manufacturer: Tobias Wrynn.
Model: SR-387 Sniper and Reconnaissance Rifle.
Affiliation: Tobias Wrynn
Modularity: Yes, variable types of ammunition, can be modified for quieter shots at the expense of power.
Production: Unique
Material: Terenthium/Desh alloy.
Classification: Slugthrower.
Size: Handheld, two hand.
Length: 166.1 centimeters
Weight: 18 kg
Ammunition Type: 17mm slug.
Ammunition Capacity: 4 shot detachable box magazine.
Effective Range: Approx 2000 meters.
Muzzle Velocity: ~1524 m/s
Rate of Fire: 1 round/ 3 second interval factoring recoil.
Special Features: Smart Targeting computer integrated in the Scope can tag targets. Specialized HUD uplink capability makes the SR-387 the best option for Recon missions and Stealth. Increased stability via a stabilizer unit reduces drag and shaking in order to maximize range and reduce drag, making the gun immensely accurate.

Strengths:

+Internal Stabilizer: This weapon is geared specifically to reduce shaking, which maximizes the effective range and accuracy.

+Howl like Hell: The power that the SR packs can easily punch through most metals even at range. It has proven stopping power against even armored opponents, which can stagger even a tanked out Mandalorian, if need be.

+Integrated Targeting Computer: The SR-387 can differentiate targets within its scope and help with selection. Tobias has the option of tagging targets as "non-hostile" as well, which is a massive help when he's firing into friendlies.

+HUD linkup: When synchronized with a HUD, the targeting computer of the SR-387 memorizes targets and feeds them live to the display. This can help when coordinating strikes and gathering intel. Additionally, it keeps the HUD wearer apprised of magazine capacity and the structural integrity of the weapon, if they ever get called to question (I.E. some jackrabbit forcie decides to crush the barrel.)

Weaknesses
:

-Slow rate of fire: While powerful, she takes a few seconds between rounds. This makes it impractical in close range combat and leaves the wielder prone to attacks if they're dumb enough to try to take on a melee adversary with it. Sniper rifles are for sniping. Don't be dumb.

-Biometric lock: If you're not Tobias, and he has not unlocked the weapon, it will not fire for you. This command must be given by Wrynn while he has hold the weapon. A compression sleeve he wears on his arm links to the SR-387 and verifies this.

-Reload time: Since the magazine only handles four rounds, they have to be ejected more frequently than most other guns. It takes only a button press to eject the magazine, and the span of two seconds to lock another into place, but this is still a pain and makes the weapon definitively a situational option.

-High Recoil: The rifle has a nasty kickback.

Description: After an incident during his youth rendered him blind, Tobias was operated on by an Arkanian cybernetics expert who gifted him with sight far better than anything he dreamed possible. Because of this, the boy became enamored with everything that involved using his new gift- enjoying High Resolution sunsets, observing the world around him, seeing things far away- and eventually even developed an unhealthy obsession with firearms.

Because of the nature of his accident, Wrynn quickly learned that to get on in a galaxy at war a man had to learn to defend himself and others around him. Thankfully, his enhanced vision gave him an affinity for making bullets go where he intended them to. As time progressed and he became better with firing from a distance, he began to work on a firearm that could utilize both his skill as a marksman and work in tandem with his optics to allow for more unique methods of neutralizing enemies.

The SR-387 granted him all of that and more. With his gift for computers, he built the targeting system for the rifle himself. The scope magnifies everything up to 10x, and can differentiate heat sources and detect motion within its line of sight. It is the ideal weapon for intelligence gathering and recon missions, and allows Wrynn to take out targets from a safe distance before they can ever pose a threat to him or his allies.

Because of it's high power and the expense for ammunition, it's not a weapon he would reproduce on a massive scale. Still, it's his gun, and he goes almost nowhere without it.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Tobias Wrynn said:
Rate of Fire: Gas operated,
I think that this is the operating system, but I'm guessing that you also intended to put a number behind this.

Tobias Wrynn said:
Weight: 6.5 kg

This looks a little light to me. In concept, this looks like a real life anti-tank rifle to me based on caliber. The lightest one that I can think offhand that uses gas operation is the PTRS-41, which is 20 kg with a 14.5 x 114mm cartridge. Guns with larger cartridges (typically 20mm) are notably much heavier. The L-39, for example, weighs nearly 50 kilograms.

This is Star Wars, however, and not real life. If you do choose to go with a lower weight, I'd really recommend thinking about how recoil interacts with this. In real life, light guns typically are very hard to control with high powered cartridges.

Tobias Wrynn said:
Increased stability via a stabilizer unit reduces drag and shaking in order to maximize range and reduce drag, making the gun immensely accurate.
I don't quite understand this. At first, my thought was that this was some sort of system that keeps the rifle steady, but I don't understand how drag plays into this.

Tobias Wrynn

T
[member="Gir Quee"]

Would it be more plausible if I bumped the weight to about 18kg? I used the lightest possible that I could find in an attempt to drop it a bit. I'll add in the bit about problematic recoil, since it's sensible.

The system does stabilize the rifle, I'll edit out the bit about drag to reduce confusion.

Edits made, for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom