Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Sparrow Hawk Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
hawk3.jpg

Image Source: Here
Intent: A unique armament for an upcoming submission.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Phenex Industries
Model: Sparrow Hawk Missile
Affiliation: Open Market (non-private)
Modularity: Ground based and ship mounted, as well as payload options.
Production: Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Durasteel, missile components, repulsorlift, minor ion-drive, targeting computer.
Classification: Missile
Size: Trailer, Ship-Mounted
Length: 5m
Weight: 2 Ton
Ammunition Type: Baradium, Ion-Pulse
Ammunition Capacity: 3 per trailer, varies by ship
Effective Range: Capital Ship.
Rate of Fire: Single action
Special Features: Only works well in a gravity field. Massive payload.
Description: One of the last designs worked on by Domino before leaving Phenex and put into production by Matsu Ike. The Sparrow Hawk missile is a variation of a much up-scaled proton torpedo that utilizes a pair of repulsorlifts as a primary means of thrust. This gives the torpedo immense speed, maneuverability, and range, but only in a gravity field for the repulsors to work on. A small Ion drive at the rear provides some thrust but only in a straight line to provide distance from its parent craft (the Sparrow Hawk relies on its parent ship for the majority of its velocity and direction) making it best suited for end-run bombing missions against large targets in the deeper reaches of space.

Not seeing the point in having dozens of bombers each using more than half a dozen smaller warheads to maybe penetrate far enough into a capital ship, Domino upped the payload and speed of the weapon so a mere handful could utterly rend a capital ship apart. Multiple payload options were an after-thought and the large size of the missiles make it easy for ground crew to swap them out depending on the pilot's selected attack pattern. Most select a 2/2 of ion and 1-ton baradium giving a single bomber the potential to break a star destroyer solo provided a majority of successful hits.

Targeting is achieved through a mixture of visual imaging and mass detection which makes target-lock a very hard thing to shake as chaff and flares become useless and most jamming occurs along the electromagnetic spectrum. This is not fool-proof however as targets can hide from the controlling droid brain behind much larger masses and gravitic modulators completely negate the Sparrow Hawk's most effective form of tracking.

While intended to be carried in specialized missile bays, during development it was discovered that with a few minor changes to the design that were soon implemented, two Sparrow Hawks could be fitted into each of a bomber's missile/torpedo tubes.
Primary Source: img1 img2 proton torp

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Domino"]

Alright, so let’s take a look at this…

Ammunition Type: Anti-Matter
  • Specifically, I want to discuss this particular weapon armament with you as it represents a major issue. It is a nuclear grade weapon which canonically can “level a large city with a single strike.” As well as produce “large radiation effects within the blast radius.” And it’s assumed outside the radius of effect which creates the Cherenkov Effect. The effect itself is also a potentially deadly result to living organisms and the environment.
  • The above being stated as such – there is no specific yield to this nuclear device, but it clearly states a large city. The definition of a large city is a “populace of 50,000 or more.” More so, it can clearly be compared to cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta. With that in mind, I cannot allow that particular armament in the missile, please remove it.
Ammunition Capacity: 3 Per Trailer, Varies by Ship.
  • I can accept the 3 Per Trailer for an Air to Ground based weapon but varies by ship needs to be more specific. If this is a Capital grade weapon, please be a bit more specific on how much a single battery can hold.
Special Features: Only works well in a gravity field. Massive payload.
  • I’m not sure I understand how this particular missile works well in just a gravity field and not normal operations? Is this designed to be a counter-measure to gravity well systems? Do you mean in atmosphere?

I can tone the blast down some although other antimatter weapons have been approved.

As for ships carrying the missile, the thing is five meters long, if a ship can carry that and the additional tonnage then I don't want to impart arbitrary limitations. Obviously a fighter couldn't carry it but a specialized bomber would be able to. I'll add something to that effect to the description. I'm also not sure why your mentioning batteries, in SW that's defined as a group of four weapons and to my knowledge capital ships dont need to list out their missile numbers as they're assumed to carry enough for the engagement unless otherwise stated. I'd prefer to leave that to the ship judges.

About the gravity field thing, its because its based on repulsor technology, which while extremely fast and agile, absolutely has to have gravity to push off of to work. Without that you've only got the little ion drive at the back to give it distance from the bomber or other attacking craft.

Edit: Swapped out the Antimatter and added a line at the end discussing the need for specialized mounts. Also upped the weight and added a bit of fluff saying it was controlled by a droid brain like many missiles were in cannon.
[member="Pixel"]

Domino said:
Ammunition Capacity: 3 per trailer, varies by ship
Much like you would have three missiles per trailer, you would generally have a set amount that would fit in a given missile tube/launcher on a ship. For the sake of clarity, how many of these missiles fit in a standard bomber's missile tube? I won't delve further into larger, capital, ships, but it's important to get a ballpark figure on the smaller ones. Given that these are 5 meters, a good estimate would be 2-3 per missile tube, but I would like confirmation on what the average is from you in the submission.

While I would like to say three, my original intent were that they be too large for a standard missile tube and thus require a specialized bay or mounting point. Since the planned ship for them would carry four though, I'll say two per missile tube. I'll make note of that in the sub's description.
[member="Bianca"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom