Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech SoroSuub Hedgehog Weapon System

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorosuub_logo_banner_by_viperaviator-d520jta.png
Image Credit: SoroSuub logo by viperaviator
Intent: Ship Component
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: SoroSuub
Model: SS Hedgehog Weapon System
Affiliation: Galactic Alliance
Modularity: Capital Ship Component
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Durasteel, Baradium
Classification: Advanced Mine Layer
Size: Ship-Mounted
Length: 10m
Weight: 10 metric kilotonnes
Ammunition Type: Seeker Mines, Ion Mines
Ammunition Capacity: 50 per salvo
Effective Range: 2,000 meter conic spread
Rate of Fire: Single Salvo
Special Features: N/A
Description:
The SS Hedgehog weapon system is a fixed launching emplacement that allows a ship equipped with it to rapidly eject a spread of seeker mines in salvoes of fifty in order to cover a wide area in space. Seeker mines will home in, latch onto, and then detonate against the hull of a ship not broadcasting friendly IFF that enters their proximity. They are hard to detect when dormant.

Alternatively, the Hedgehog can fire a spread of ion mines, which will lay dormant until a ship enters their proximity and will then detonate into an ion cloud, disabling electronics in the area.

Equates to 3 heavy warhead launchers.

Canon Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Space_mine

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Ryan Korr"]

Ryan Korr said:
Manufacturer: SoroSuub
please hyperlink the manufacturer

Ryan Korr said:
Weight: 30kg
this is light for something 10 meters in size. This is bigger than a dump truck which weighs 25,401,173 kg or about 25,000 pounds. Now IM sure it would not weigh as much as a dump truck but it would be in that ball park.

Make the weight 10 metric kilotonnes, Thats about half as heavy as a dump truck the same size.

Ryan Korr said:
Size: Ship-Mounted

Ryan Korr said:
Ammunition Capacity: 50 per salvo

Ryan Korr said:
Effective Range: 2,000 meter conic spread
about what size vessel do you see this on?

Something small throwing out 50 mines to a range of 2km over and over would not work. I get the launching mines. I love mine launchers and 2km is long range for a mine launcher but doable. But something slugging out 50 such mines is a bit extreme. If this were a one shot deal that would be cool. or if it was meant for destroyers, that too would be ok with ammo. But this is slinging more mines than 2 full squadrons of bombers can in one go. A standard Bomb Bay holds 2 mines and cost 2 defensive weapons per the exchange chart. That would make this something on the order of 25 turbolaser cannons equivalency.

I feel it should count as 3 heavy warhead launchers when figuring how this compares to other weapons. That would balance out the power, range, and size of the weapon. This is a very powerful system that can throw alot of mines a long way at one time. Call it 3 heavy warhead launchers and edit the weight and its good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom