Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sock-it Too 'em [Thirdas]

Midvinter

There was nothing more glorious than the sight of the frozen planet in the viewing window of his ship. Midvinter, he was home again. And he was expected.

The Tarly's communications chimed Théo immediately answered it, and before him the holoimage of his father flickered blue. "Thank you father", he replied as Thurion welcomed his son home with a smile. "I hope to see you and mother while here. I will be at Himmeldal but will travel west as soon as able". Théo's father informed him of the 'issues' they have had with his brother, Thirdas. Seemed his brother had taken to getting into fights which trouble them both, and at a loss for what to do, Thurion asked if Théo would speak to him. And as it happened they are to travel to Tháinbroek to visit uncle Thyrian. It was arranged to drop off Thirdas on the way.

Théo had assumed this would be done by ship. He too was in for a big surprise...

The freshly laid snow that blanketed the fields around Himmeldal soared into the sky as the Tarly touched down, the reverse thrusters roaring all the way along the valley, before the engines set to cool. Engines never take long to cool on Midvinter. Théo wasted little time lowering the ramp and setting foot on Midvinter soil once more. Immediately the cold air bit his cheeks flushing them red, his Valkyri blood stirring with it warming him strangely. He pulled in a deep breath, his lungs relishing the crisp air and for a moment, he stood with eyes closed enjoying the moment.

Upon opening his eyes once more, this sight set on the house roof laden with snow. It had been ages since he had been here, and no doubt their would be repairs to be done and wood to chop. He wanted to get this place ready for Thirdas and.. other reasons. That and mother would not be pleased he let the place run to ruin. So he was not surprised to find a family of Swallows had made home among the high beams, a hole in the window affording them entry, and who knew what else lived here now. The place was coated in a thick layer of dust, even some snow had found it's way through the broken window, and it was cold. So first things first, the hearth would be lit.

Regardless of all the work he would need to do before his visitors arrived, he smiled happy to be home.

[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k3lXntkdNQ​

It was only a short detour to Himmelskald, the old Heavenshield homestead where Thurion and Coci had spent their well-earned holidays while serving as Grandmaster and Master of the Order respectively to the Silver Jedi. Now the place stood all but abandoned, save for the family of mice living off scraps in the larder. When the pair settled on the western coast and subsequently founded the steadily growing city of Fridheim, Himmelskald was granted to their firstborn son, Théodred, to use for whenever he would find himself back on his ancestral homeworld.

The Lord and Lady Heavenshield were off to see the High King in Tháinbroek for a personal visit, but it was too long of a journey for young Thirdas who had hoped to see his cousin Thrand. Instead he was to be left in the care of his brother, which was just as exciting an idea to the lad; he practically worshipped his older brother in spite of having only seen him on few occasions. Théo was an adventurer, like himself, and big and strong! Though their appearances were the exact opposites, with Thirdas' blonde hair and black eyes contrasting Théo's black hair and blue eyes, they shared the same need to see the world and face danger head on.

As Skywalker and Cloudancer made their landing, Thirdas begrudgingly climbed down the hind leg of the male gryphon, preferring to have soared amongst the clouds just a bit longer. Before his feet touched the ground he was picked up by his father who took to flying him around like a starship, much to the boy's amusement. It was a fleeting moment, however, and as father and son shared a laugh Thurion set his feet down in the snow, hands upon his youngest's shoulders as he lowered himself to his eye level.

"We won't be gone for long, Thirdas; your mother and I will be back in a couple days and pick you up on the way home. Sound alright?" Thirdas met his father's kind gaze, nodding his approval. "Papa? Will you tell Thrand that I miss playing with him?" His tiny fingers reached for Thurion's chin, feeling the stubble tickle his smooth skin. Father's smile widened and nodded in return, before trying to devour his son's fingers. As Thirdas giggled he was pulled in for a tight embrace, burying his face into his chest where he felt truly safe.

A creak from the worn-down house caused the two to look towards the opened door where one [member="Théodred Heavenshield"] now stood, his black locks caught by the wind. Thurion rose to his feet and released Thirdas, and after a quick look towards Mother for her approval he ran off into his brother's arms. "Toe! Toe!" he called him, as was his nickname for his older brother since he first tried uttering his name. "I've missed you," he wrapped his arms around him as best he could given his small size. Théo was almost as big as Papa, except he didn't have any wrinkles or gray hairs.

Meanwhile Thurion held Coci's hand as they approached the two brothers - their two sons. If only Nina were there to complete the picture. Thurion stepped up to his firstborn son and looked him over for a moment, and in that moment Thirdas couldn't help but think Father looked sadder than he had just before. The next moment, however, Thurion threw his arms around Théo. "My boy...!"

He had made some headway into tiding up the place, it was liveable now, at least enough for the arrival of Thirdas. The windows patched up to keep out the cold but he had made a hole in the roof for the family of Swallows to have, Théo was not about to evict them in fact it was nice to have them there, some company for a while until the younglings would venture out on their own and the nest abandoned. The family of white mice in the pantry also catered for, but his food he had brought with him, secured against the midnight snackers. The father of the brood Théo had named Thyrian as he had red eyes and fawned over his family with a fieriness akin to his uncle. The thought of it would make Théo grin knowing his uncles would not take too kindly to comparing him to the male rodent. But this is a fact his uncle will never know.

The loudest piercing screech filled the air and rattled the rafters as it seemed to issue from something just above the roof of Himmeldal. Even the family of mice scattered in fright and darted back into their home in the hole in the wall. Théo’s hair stood up on the back of his neck as he almost dropped a large stone flagon of mead he was storing in the pantry. “Odiir! What the f…, was that?!”.

With haste, Théo went through the living room to the front door, on his way he eyed his sword resting by the wall but he would not be in need of it, he could sense the presence of this family. Upon opening the door his sapphire blue eyes set upon a most wondrous sight, his father, Thirdas and mother sitting on the backs of the most majestic creatures he had ever laid eyes on. His mouth feel open, still uncertain to believe his own eyes, especially mother as her gryphon who he would come to know as Cloudancers alighted to ground.

He was thumped back into reality when Thirdas ran to him and into his arms. “Hello my brother”, Théo swallowed him in his embrace, lifted him off the ground and kissed his rosy cheeks before settling his forehead to his, “I have missed you too, very much indeed and boy have you grown up into a strong man!”.

The two brothers stood once more side by side as their parents approached. To Théo they would never grow old, his father his childhood hero, still the same in adulthood, his mother so powerful and graceful will forever be this in their children’s mind. And before he knew it, Théo was taken into the powerful embrace of his father, the same embrace he had known as a child. But this time, large strong arms would return the embrace.

“Papa”, he said softly closing his eyes and allowing the moment before them last forever. It was good to be home.

Thurion held onto his firstborn son, not really wanting to ever let go as he wished time would revert and the man in his arms would be a boy again. Then again, he always would be his boy 'til the end of his days. "Let me get a look at you," he said while pulling away from the embrace just enough to look into his eyes, mirroring his own. His hands cupped his cheeks and neck as their foreheads touched. Despite the happy reunion he could not help but feel saddened by the years lost between them.

"You look good, son. Strong," he sized him up while taking a step back, hands upon Théo's shoulders feeling his strong build underneath his Valkyri leathers. Allowing him a moment with his mother, Thurion beckoned the pair of gryphons to come forth and introduce themselves.

"Théo, meet the newest members of our family. This is Skywalker, and Cloudancer," he motioned towards them as he mentioned their names, and upon hearing their names they began to purr loudly. "They are the last of their kind, that we know of," he continued while petting Skywalker's beak, feeling his skin tremble from the purring. "There are seven of them residing in Fridheim at the moment - these two and their five cubs. The people have taken to using their likeness as the symbol of our city."

Thirdas all this time clinged to Théo's leg, wrapping both arms and legs around it as he hitched a ride wherever his older brother walked. "I call one of them Nibbles," he chirped from below with a big grin. "He loves to nibble my fingers whenever I feed him. He knows not to hurt me, he just likes to tickle!"

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

For a fleeting moment his father had his wish, Théo felt like that boy that use to run wild around the Grand Hall and into the surrounding forests of Tháinbroek, the days in which Thurion's father was alive and well watching over them as father and son played together. Great memories, sad memories regardless of the Sun pulling across the sky as they gather here together in this moment.

"Thank you Father", was all he could say as emotion stifled words from forming. His father was not the only one that held regret, but Théo understood well enough the reason why and he would never hold anything against his father for his duty as Jedi, nor mother for that matter. He was pleased that they would be able to give Thirdas the time he never had.

Théo greeted is mother next, his head lowered so she could reach his cheek to kiss and he moved in to hold her in his arms the way she used to do when he was in pain or needed comfort. "I love you both", he said without any hesitation. His parents had given both Nina and he the best they could and that was enough.

It was difficult for Théo to move forward as the gryphons approached with Thirdas clinging to his leg but Théo could not care any less. He heaved his brother along even shaking his leg as if trying to rid himself of a pest, which made his brother laugh.

"They truly are amazing .. ", he said softly raising his hand his palm out stretched and gently rested upon the feather fur of Skywalker. "Skywalker? cheezy Papa". He grinned feeling like the old, well young, Théo was here with them and being cheeky to his father. Thirdas' first lesson. And with that he looked down into his brother's eyes, the same black pools of mothers, and winked.

"The last of their kind?, lets hope that is not so but we must protect them at all costs. Maybe we need to see if their are more". The very idea of this magnificent creature being lost to the galaxy let alone Midvinter was unbearable to contemplate. His hand had not left the thick neck of the gryphon, the purring was comforting and soothing, but the power underneath the feather fur was like nothing Théo had ever experienced.

"Nibbles huh?", his brother caught his attention once more. "You ticklish? .. let me find out!", Théo's large hands reached down to his brother's sides knowing that would be his most sensitive place and began to tickle him without mercy.

"What?" Thurion looked between Théo and Coci. "I-it's a good name for someone capable of flight! Besides, he likes it - don't you, boy?" As if rehearsed beforehand the large creature simply cocked his head along with a clucking sound. While the others laughed Thurion pointed at his companion. "You, my friend, are not helping."

When suddenly Thirdas let out a hearty laughter due to his brother's tickles, Thurion forgave Skywalker's mischief with a ruffle of his feathery head and chuckled at the two interacting. There was such a large age gap between the two, yet Théo's youthful look on life made them a natural pair. This childlike characteristic, he supposed, stemmed from himself. His lack of a proper childhood had forced him to grow up too quickly, along with being thrust upon with responsibilities as a Jedi and a deceased mentor he felt obligated to live up to. Ultimately, he'd done the best the could, and rejoiced that his children would not share his hardships.

His arm wrapped around Coci's waist as they watched Thirdas try and wrestle out of Théo's grasp, and they shared a kiss moments before Thurion's eyes turned to the sky and the sun. "Heavens, we should get on our way in order to beat nightfall," he noted the time of day. This was just supposed to be a quick dropping off of their youngest before moving on to Tháinbroek and Thyrian.

"Come here, lads," he beckoned them, and Thirdas quickly rose and managed a flimsy strike on his older brother's thigh in hopes of getting even, though the attempt seemed to hardly get noticed. Thurion placed his hands upon their shoulders, looking them both in the eye. "A bond between brothers is the strongest there is," he explained to them in serious tone, pausing to make certain they understood. "The same blood runs in your veins. Both of you are equal parts myself and your mother, and even though there may come a time when you cannot stand each other because of your differences, you will still find it in your hearts to love each other. You are Heavenshields, and more importantly my beloved sons."

With that he pulled them both in for a hug, putting one arm around Théo while the other settled upon Thirdas' head as he clinged to his leg. "Look after your little brother," he whispered past Théo's ear before placing a kiss upon his cheek. Once Coci had said her goodbyes the two would mount Skywalker and Cloudancer respectively, and then take off into the skies once more, leaving the two at each other's mercy. Thirdas stood waving at them until they disappeared among the clouds, and instinctively reached for Théo's large hand for comfort. "Don't worry, Toe. I'll look after you," he looked up at him with an innocent smile.

"Yes Father, you have my word", which was true to the bone. Théo being the elder of the two sons would protect the younger with his life if it came to that. His father's words were not lost on him, Théo had been there when the brothers Vhalorious met once more from the ripping apart of childhood. Thyrian was not that old himself when Grandpapa had left them alone to fend for themselves, something that Théo could never imagine doing but he was in no position to judge him, he had not been handed the same set of circumstances life had imparted to his grandfather. But even still, and knowing what the brothers had suffered because of a poor decision, Théo vowed never to repeat history. Surely lessons .. and painful ones .. would be learned from that.

Blood of the two, was blood of the one. Although Théo was more akin to his father and the Valkyri, with each passing day, it was clear Thirdas was more and more like mother. The wanderlust lived in him, as strong as any pure blood Corellian. "Make sure Thirdas cleans his teeth, he tells me he has when he has not", mother kissed Théo on the cheek with a set of instructions before her hand raised and rested against his cheek, "You have grown so handsome and strong .. and I sense your strength of character", she smiled before, "Both of you, and both of you I love more than life". Coci moved to Thurion, took his hand and looked into his eyes with her own moist from emotion of a mother. Time would never stand still for them, as much as she might want it. She kissed her husband with full and pure love before they mounted and took to the skies for Tháinbroek.

Théo felt his brother's hand warm against his palm and his words could not but make Théo smile and look down into his black as night eyes. "I know you will", he said in all seriousness before grinning, "You can fetch my boots and pipe". And as their parents vanished from view, Théo led Thirdas toward Himmeldal.

"Come on, I am hungry and you must be too", and as they approached the front step. "I hear you have been getting yourself into some trouble, fighting the local lads. I bet mother and father were none to pleased", Théo chuckled with a heavy hint of pride in his voice. "Tell me all about it over a plate of roasted meat. And after our meal, you and I are going hunting".

Thirdas' eyes went wide. "You smoke?!" There was no judgement in his voice - he was very young, after all - but rather astonishment at his big brother being old enough to make such decisions on his own. "Papa says smoking's bad for you. And drinking. Papa doesn't do either." Holding Théo's large hand as he was led up the porch of Himmeldal, the mere mention of food had his small tummy groaning loudly. "I think there's a beastie living in my tummy. Do you have one too?"

Next Théo mentioned him getting in trouble back home, getting into fights. Thirdas' gaze dropped to the floor, at first feeling ashamed at the fact. "I didn't mean to... The other boys my age are all bigger and stronger than me, they tease me and call me tiny!" He looked back up at his big brother as they stepped inside. "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just get so angry. I can't control myself, I just throw myself at them. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't," he said with hushed voice, again averting his gaze.

"Mama understands, I think. She says I'm more like her than Papa." Another groan from his tummy had him settle a hand upon it.

He chuckled, “Nope I don’t smoke, father is right about that it aint good for you. Mead on the other hand, well like all things, in moderation, too much of that is bad as well”. As the boys entered Himmeldal a strong waft of baking bread greeted them, Théo not the cook like their mother but he can bake. And right on cue, his stomach growled matching Thirdas’. “Yes I have a beastie in my belly and it is roaring”, he picked Thirdas up into his arms carried him into the kitchen placing him on one of the high stools that surrounded the central work bench now their table.

“Tiny huh?”, he repeated as he took the bread out of the wood oven and turned it out on chopping board to cool a little. “Must be big Valkyri lads you are taking on”, there would be the unmissable pride in the comment from brother to brother. “Did father give you the, “don’t fight with this, fight with this” lecture?”, Théo tapped the side of Thirdas’ head near his brain. “He is right of course, but”. He placed the bread on the table for his brother to rip into at will, alongside a healthy platter of carved fowl.

Next came the blue milk, which Théo assumed his brother liked as well. “You have to have some skills in fighting to have a chance of using that brain of yours and not that temper”.

“That is what it is Thirdas, there is nothing wrong with you, you just have a bad temper .. like mother”. Only mother had learned to control it, something this young boy will do in time and experience as well. “I think you have inherited more than just her black eyes. How about I teach you how to give those Valkyri lads, black eyes”. He winked at him and if Thirdas liked the sound of that, the hunting would wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom