Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Smuggler's Luck

F7WCt8o.gif

S A B A C C

Tag: Luna Evanstance Luna Evanstance

With the unprecedented boom in immigration and commerce to the small world after it had been named the capital of the largest and most prosperous nation in the galaxy, Naboo had quickly become a logistical nightmare. Its infrastructure was simply and woefully inadequate to deal with such a high mass of beings, vessels, and transit to and from the planet. Multiple companies, governments and enterprising individuals had tried to implement solutions that would serve as a stopgap for the planet's lack of infrastructure. Massive construction projects had commenced almost immediately, raising up grand buildings to serve as the Confederacy's capital and military complex as funds were poured from the Confederacy's treasury to upgrade the infrastructure of Theed to deal with the doubling, and then quadrupling population that the city was experiencing.

Upgrading the transportation of the planet's capital had not been the only measure or innovation taken. Other, more private ventures had been made to capitalize on what was virtually an open-market of commerce waiting to be exploited, and a race had commenced to secure what would've been surely lucrative deals to fund and own the new starports that would undoubtedly see heavy amounts of traffic -- and consequentially, profits. The bidding had been so intense, however, that an unforeseen circumstance had arisen; those who won the contracts found themselves without the proper capital to make good on their purchases.

After an enthralling battle of legal entanglements and arrangements, some legitimate and others less-so, a rather particular situation had arisen: starport-cities funded by a mass collective of varying corporations, controlled by a civil government and therefore the Confederacy. Ironically from this mess, a rather objectively suitable conclusion had arisen, and these new cities spawned all over Naboo. But none had seen the same amount of success as had the New Kaadara Spaceport.

A floating ring of docking bays, industrial factories, living quarters, business centers and administrative towers, New Kaadara Spaceport existed far away from any landmass, in the middle of a Nabooian sea. The only way off of the spaceport was through old aquatic trawlers that combed the seas fishing; lighter, faster and far more expensive ocean-skimmers whose specially-constructed repulsorlifts barely touched the waves; and there were starships, though only for those who had one of their own, or could manage to afford it. That meant that, roughly, most of the spaceports population was -- appropriately -- spacers. And where there were spacers, there were large quantities of two things: gambling, and alcohol to fuel it.

In other words, two substances perfect to lure Minister of War Kiff Brayde from his governmental responsibilities.

In all honesty, Kiff spent far less time away from the Anthem, the Ministry's underwater headquarters, than he had during his time as High Marshal of the Bassadro Sector. This was for a number of reasons: with such a high position conferred upon him, he felt at least a degree more of responsibility and a slightly larger twinge of guilt deep in any conscience that he had every time he went on his little 'vacations.' But also, the Anthem was plainly much harder to sneak out of. But of course, that didn't mean it was impossible.

On this particular day, he was hanging out in the corner of one of the more indiscreet cantinas that lined the streets and alleyways of New Kaadara. Far away from the flashing signs, Kiff found that the men, women and others of real grit and quality chose to spend their times at establishments where they were less likely to be swindled by profit-driven bartenders and corporate owners. And of course, those types of beings made excellent opponents for Sabacc.

LUNA'S TIMELINE: Past Smuggling Adventures

AM5dCjR.png

New Kaadara. The moisture from Naboo’s sea lingered in the atmosphere as Luna made her way to her destination. She wasn’t here for a job. She wasn’t here for a vacation. Instead, she didn’t look forward to whatever she found out from the person she was meant to meet at a rather less known Cantina on the outskirts of all the usual hustle and bustle. Her gaze remained steady as she passed patrons, tourists alike; the smell of perfumes, body odor, food, and booze all seemed to linger together to make on congruent smell. It wasn’t bad but it most certainly wasn’t the most pleasant.

It was as the Smuggler kept a steady pace, her commlink beeped leaving her to break her gaze for only a moment as she answered. There was an anonymous whistle from her droid that could hardly be heard above all the noise as Luna kept her canter steady. “What is it, Happy?” Her tone held an annoyed note as she could spot her destination a few feet ahead of her. Luna stopped, giving Happy a moment to explain himself. He went off, using the same beeps and whistles that seemed to hold concern. “No, I’m not going to do something stupid.” A rather sassy sounding blurp echoed off the commlink leaving the woman to roll her eyes. “I’m aware that it’s a recurring theme, Happy. I don’t need the reminder. Besides, when did you ever give a shit about me?” Luna listened for a moment as the astromech gave off what could have only been pure sass. Not giving him a moment more, she ended the noise by flipping off her commlink before closing in on the Cantina and entering.

It seemed like the average Cantina; music, the smell of booze, and the sounds of clinking glasses and voices melding together as one. Luna gave one long look across the space, noting a few half slugged beings in one booth, a Sabacc table as well as a single male sitting by himself. That was who she was looking for. Gruto Vikorr. It was one of the few faces from her past that Luna didn’t loathe. He had aged since she had last seen him; his dark hair graying which extended into his beard. He looked just as fit - the man had always been built and even now as he aged, he still looked just as much so. As she approached, the mercenary that had been hunched over his ale looked up. “Little Lu! Good to see you!” He gave a hearty laugh which in return left her to give a sideways glance. He stood, pulling her into a bear hug causing her to gasp for air at his crushing arms. “Gruto, it’s been a long time.”

He let her go and the two of them sat down. He pushed over an extra ale which must have been saved for her. “I’m not so little anymore, you know.” Gruto gave a chuckle as he downed the rest of his ale before ordering another from the wandering waitress. “No, you most certainly not. You grew up pretty, Lu. Glad to see you’re well.” Luna nodded, not saying anything else as she wasted no time dragging down half of the large glass of ale. Gruto Vikorr had been one of the men that ran with her Uncle, Rast Evanstance. While her Uncle was a vicious, disgusting being, Gruto was one of the few of the tough bunch that had always treated her right. When he would visit the bunker, he’d bring Luna small gifts and always seemed to listen to her babbling as he was the only one that seemed to listen to her. “So I hear you got news.”

The man’s organic blue eye seemed to grow a bit sad and serious as he looked at her. His cybernetic eye could be seen calculating the space in front of it but Luna could see the emotion radiating off of his single blue orb. It had only been a week or two prior that she had received a transmission from him. He had wanted to meet and talk and Luna had an inkling of the topic. He had been on New Kaadara for one thing or another and she had cleared her schedule to be here.

The man’s wrinkles seemed to grow deeper as he gave a sigh and started on his next ale. “Lu, you may not like-” The young Smuggler gave a sharp look in his direction. She didn’t want any more pleasantries. The knot in her stomach had already grown too much to handle and she needed to know. “Just tell me, Gruto.” Her voice echoed the look she gave him as the warmth had left her voice replacing it with sharp notes. Gruto gave another heavy sigh before leaning back some.

“He’s alive. Your Uncle. And the rumor is he’s lookin’ for you. He doesn’t quite like what you did to the right side of his face.” Luna could feel the blood rushing in her face but kept her cool. Nodding, she ran her finger along the top of the glass; following the circular shape around and around.

“I see. Well, I guess that’s my mistake for making sure he wasn’t dead after I blew up the bunker.” It was quiet for a while as the two finished their drinks. Luna had hoped that it hadn’t been a worst-case scenario but it was much worse than she imagined. While she hadn’t hoped Rast was still alive, it was the fact that he was looking for her. Like a hunter looking for its next prey. “If it’s all the same, I never liked how he treated you. It wasn’t right.” Luna’s head snapped up and her eyes blazed at the man. “I don’t want your pity!” she snapped as she slid the glass across to the edge of the table. “If he wants me, he can come to find me so I can kill him properly this time.”

Gruto’s eye went from serious to sad as she spoke. It was the same look that he used to give her back when she was a little girl. But she wasn’t that little girl anymore. Rast had turned her into something and it was going to be the biggest mistake he’d ever make. “You may not like what you find at the end of your revenge, Lu. Settle down, have a family; whatever makes you happy and let it go.” Gruto had begun to stand, placing a Wampa sized hand on her slender shoulder as he looked down at her. “If you ever need anything, you know where to find me.”

The mercenary gave a fatherly pat on Luna’s shoulder before heading towards the exit. Watching him leave, she didn’t move for a few minutes. Looking at the condensation of the glasses as they sat empty, she debated on what to do next. Fishing out her bottle with shaking hands, Luna let two bitter pills melt in her mouth as she looked around the Cantina for the second time. She knew what she wanted to do at least. She was going to play some Sabacc.

The smuggler got up and made her way over to the table. She hadn’t fully approached them and instead, she observed from a fair distance away, leaning against one of the few large pillars in the space. She had played a few times and more than once had found it easier to cheat than play right. She was, after all, a scoundrel. Unmoving, unwavering, she stood there debating if she was in the right mood to play. There was a handsome male there, seemingly sitting there without a care almost looking and wanting someone to approach. “Looking for a play?” Luna didn't move but she did address him. At the very least, she could feel bad about losing a few credits instead of her bloodthirsty Uncle looking for her head. Luna did her best to forget about the previous events and pull herself back to her usual voice and demeanor. “I got a few credits I could waste.”

ypvnGWF.png

APPLICATION | SINGLE | HETEROSEXUAL | 33 | BLASTER PISTOL VIBROBLADE | Kiff Brayde Kiff Brayde

Last edited:

F7WCt8o.gif

S A B A C C

There was a bottle of malted Corellian Whiskey on the table, next to Kiff's left hand. Usually his drink of choice was a Parmethen mix; Port-in-the-Storm it was called, a notoriously strong concoction famed for its dark, cloud-like appearance with bursts of static electricity that mimicked lightning. It was hard liquor for the strongest of sailors and spacers, and of course military officers like Kiff who after so much death and personal loss couldn't handle any more engagements while being sober.

But today, Kiff was looking for a clearer mind. He couldn't spend every second his waking existence heavily intoxicated, so he'd opted for the lighter brew this time around. Besides, some said that a clearer head meant for better Sabacc. Which was about to become relevant.

He'd just set down the bottle back down on the table after taking a swig from it when a voice interrupted his thoughts, asking if he was looking for a play. His eyes glanced upwards to see a strikingly attractive young woman with ghost-white hair standing in front of him -- probably had some Echani or even Arkanian blood in her, Kiff guessed -- dressed in traditional spacer's garb. She was definitely attractive, and the prospect of winning a couple of credits from her, or even something more, was enticing.

Kiff gestured to an open seat opposite of him. "By all means," he said with a roguish smile. "You're familiar with Corellian Spike, I assume?" he asked as he began dealing the cards to the two of them.

AM5dCjR.png

“Somewhat so. It’s been a long time.”

Corellian Spike was a form of Sabacc that ironically Gruto had taught Luna one of his varying visits all those years ago. It was relatively simple as far as the basic go at it was. But what unlucky and terrible players didn’t realize is that there was more than the luck of the draw when it came to the set of cards you’d receive. It was about having the skill to keep a face that wouldn’t give what you had away; keeping neutral no matter the amount of booze or pills or concoctions a being had in them.

Luna’s emerald orbs locked hard onto her opponent as he dealt the cards. He was roguishly handsome and yet despite the scoundrel vibe she got from His smile, he somehow seemed put together at the same time. But that smile had told her all she needed to know as it was almost a mirror of her own which meant that more or less he couldn’t be trusted. The young Smuggler knew herself and she knew that if she were him, she’d be cheating in some sort of way. “Get as close to zero as possible with your hand. The player who achieves that, after three rounds, wins.”

g9DZLP3.png
5WgP7qB.png

Leaning back in her seat some, she watched as he placed the rest, face down and Luna tossed in her credits for the starting game. “How long have you been playing?”It was evident to her the way he sat there and waited for someone that he either had a love for the game or was very good. Or in Luna’s worst case, both. Her full demeanor hadn’t returned to her flirtatious, confident self yet; her previous conversation with Gruto had left her out of her element. She hated feeling vulnerable and Luna just hoped it didn’t mean she was about to lose her credits to this man. She was known for her impulsive decisions and she'd have to live with whatever the outcome would be. As the cute waiter from earlier passed by, Luna ordered another ale before pulling out her bottle of pills and placing one under her tongue. The bitterness brought comfort as she waited to see what his reaction was to his own hand.
ypvnGWF.png

APPLICATION | SINGLE | HETEROSEXUAL | 33 | BLASTER PISTOL VIBROBLADE | Kiff Brayde Kiff Brayde

Last edited:

F7WCt8o.gif

S A B A C C

Kiff watched as the smuggler sat down, taking in everything he could gauge about her -- her physique, her choice of clothing, her manner of speaking, her stance and posture. It was a natural reflex paired with instinct honed from his years as scum on the streets of Arkanis, and that keen eye for observance had been a life-saving trait, both on the streets and the command bridge of a starship. He noticed a hint of a flirting swagger in her, and Kiff's brow furrowed only so slightly. She'd definitely be interesting to observe, no doubt about it.

He took a swig as she repeated the basic elements of Corellian Spike, most likely some muscle-memory thing than a genuine conversation starter. Kiff decided to only acknowledge it with a nod, a deliberately safe choice. Better than awkwardly interjecting, or awkwardly ignoring. He slid the customary two credits into the middle of the Sabacc pot before dealing them both the first two cards, looking at his own covertly once he'd set down the deck. It wasn't a bad hand; a six and negative two combining to equal a total value of four, which in some circumstances could even be a winning card. But it also meant it could be made or broken depending on what his spike card roll was. Regardless, Kiff's face betrayed nothing, his scoundrel's smirk not comporting an inch.

VnF4QtS.png
o2eM7cW.png

The woman asked how long he'd been playing. "Long enough," with a sly wink, was Kiff's simple reply. True enough, he'd been playing for pretty much as long as he could remember -- Sabacc was one of the few things that hadn't been restricted when you were a scumrat, and he hadn't had any parents around to prohibit him from gambling at a young age. "Anyways," Kiff began as he slid his bet into the pot, a modest fistful of credits, "I don't want to be impolite; What name should I call you?"

AM5dCjR.png

The man gave away nothing. In all her time traveling the galaxy and making her way in and out of seedy places, she had always been able to get a read on people. They usually give something away. A natural tick such as a tap of a finger or a foot, lack of eye contact, and all the like. It usually told the young Smuggler how to engage and how to react but him? Her eyes scanned for some sort of signal but she received nothing.

Luna’s drink finally came; letting the cold liquid wash away what was left of the pill before setting it down with a soft thud. "Long enough," Luna noted the wink but it didn’t give away anything that she’d find interesting to tip what was in his hand. She wasn’t drunk enough to be impulsive and the fact that he threw in more, was enough to tell her that he very well could have a decent enough hand to beat her. But it wouldn’t be gambling without a little risk and Luna wasn’t about ready to look like someone who played it safe. Mirroring his actions, she dropped in her own handful of credits, hearing them clank amongst the others. She gave a look signaling she was ready for the next part of their game.

She just hoped the spike roll would roll directly in her favor. She wasn’t far off from a win, but she also had no idea what cards lay in her opponent’s digits. "I don't want to be impolite; What name should I call you? " Leaning back in her chair some, she gave a long stretch in her seat before resuming her previous sitting position. “Luna.” She let it hang in the air for a long moment before requesting the same. “And you, Handsome?” The young Smuggler gave a small, lopsided grin; she might have been less than confident about her hand, but what she was confident about was her skill to flirt.

ypvnGWF.png

F7WCt8o.gif

S A B A C C

The smuggler evidently knew which games she was playing, but unfortunately for her, Kiff was not so easily duped. He did however, happen to enjoy the repartee of back-and-forth, and an argument could be made that flirting was a form of this, only with nonchalant romance thrown into the pot. "Most people call me Kiff, not handsome, but I'll take it all the same." He smirked, his eyes crinkling as he looked directly into that of Luna's. An odd coincidence -- he'd known a Luna before -- but he brushed that observation aside.

"So, Luna," he began as he dealt them both their two spike cards, face up; Kiff, a negative eight, while Luna received a positive ten. His own spike card did nothing to change his odds; instead of having a position of four, it was now negative four, which was the same value distance away from a winning hand of zero. But if he could get any positive value between a one and seven, he would be able to better his odds and up the ante. . . at the price of two more credits. Would Kiff take the chance?

Would he ever.

"What brings you to Naboo? And of all places on this world, New Kadaara?" he asked, finishing his question. Sliding the required two credits into the pot, he drew a card from the top of the deck face-up, discreetly viewing it. A negative three. Well, things had defintely swung in his favor. He discarded his original spike card, replacing it with the negative three now face up and sitting at a total value of one. Outwardly, he wasn't any more confident than usual, and merely waited for Luna to give her response -- and make her move.

UpgT6CC.png

VnF4QtS.png
o2eM7cW.png

AM5dCjR.png

"Most people call me Kiff, not handsome, but I'll take it all the same." Luna mirrored her opponent’s smirk with one of her own as their eyes locked momentarily. “Good, as I wasn’t really offering a choice.” Her voice held a rather mischievous note to it as she watched him deal up their spike cards. She had received a value of positive ten which wasn’t overly helpful to her current hand of a positive five. Her features didn’t change, however; she wasn’t about ready to give away the fact that she wasn’t overly confident in what she had just been given as an option to bump up her total of fifteen.

Her own thoughts in her head as she contemplated on adding to the pot and picking from the pile, his voice broke her from her own thoughts. "What brings you to Naboo? And of all places on this world, New Kadaara?"

Her gaze watched as Kiff placed in two more credits and drew a new card of his own. This could have either been a good or a bad thing for the young woman, seeing that the card that had been pulled publicly for him wasn’t what he had wanted. “Just some personal business.” It was the first time she’d ever been planet-side here and she had no plans to stick around or sightsee.It wasn’t really her place to be or enjoy and she found that the seedier places were the places she felt at home. As she spoke, she dropped in two more credits listening to the clanking sound changing as the pile slowly grew bigger. Letting her fingers reach for another card off the top of the pile, she spoke once more as she viewed it privately.

GshqW28.png

g9DZLP3.png
5WgP7qB.png

“And what about you? Surely you don’t sit here all day looking for someone to gamble with.” As her eyes fell on the card, it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. At the very least, she was in a slightly better position. Discarding the positive ten, she replaced it with the negative ten; it made it’s home next to his negative three.It brought her on the other end of the spectrum for a negative five instead of a positive five. They weren’t greatest odds, but the game wasn’t over yet. Luna made contact with Kiff’s eyes as she grabbed another handful of credits, keeping her gaze on him as she dropped in one by one until they were intermingled on the pile.

ypvnGWF.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom