Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Skyfire Mortar System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
About_COG_Mortar.jpg

Intent: To expand the Graug military’s lore and create an interesting and unique weapon
Development Thread: n/a
Manufacturer: Graug Forgers (Gratos & Sabarene)
Model: Skyfire Mk I
Affiliation: Graug Infantry
Modularity: No
Production: Minor-Produced
Material: Durasteel
Description:

The Skyfire mortar system was created to provide the Graug Warriors with an easily portable infantry mortar that had devastating effects on the battlefield. When being transported from one location to another the weapon appears just as it looks above and the wielder carriers it by a handle atop the device. When the wielder is prepared to fire, the handle is pulled back towards the user to deploy a set of small legs for the weapon to stand on. The weapon is then placed on the ground and aimed at the desired target. A skilled user of the weapon can deploy the weapon in less than five seconds and depending on circumstances can deploy, aim and fire the weapon all in a matter of ten seconds. The weapon is not automated and aiming requires manual handling, but the mortar does have a targeting screen on the surface that allows the user to easily aim at given targets when they are painted with electronic devices such as lasers.

The weapon can only fire a single type of ammunition, accordingly named a Skyfire shell. Skyfire shells work in a very similar manner to laser flak in the sense that it uses unstable plasma in its usage. The shells placed into the weapon are cylinder canisters programmed to ignite upon launch. As the canister soars through the air, it creates a field of unstable plasmatic energy around itself. The burning plasma gives the shell the appearance of flickering red flames as it crosses the sky and once it has reached the area above its target it sends its core into critical. The resulting explosions releases the unstable energy in the form of multiple burning spheres of plasma that fall to the earth like meteorites. Upon impact with the surface, the unstable plasma spheres explode outward again and send “shards” of plasmatic energy in multiple directions. This way of attack means that targets can be killed through the explosions of energy themselves or by the shards of energy that are released as a result. The superheated plasma will often cause objects and individuals to burst into flames in an almost napalm like effect. (example of what it would look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whePwMAP-L0 )

While the weapon is powerful and mobile, it has its draw backs. The weapon plus its ammo are heavy and the user wouldn’t be able to carry both the mortar, its ammo plus ammo for anything larger than a small blaster pistol. Even without carrying a blaster pistol, the user would only be able to carry 8 – 10 shells and 4 – 6 with an additional weapon. However, if a long standing position is erected the user can theoretically have hundreds of rounds at his disposal. The manual aiming, especially if technological guidance is unavailable, can be slow and highly inaccurate which would lead to friendly fire or missing of targets. However, its effectiveness against ground troops and fortifications is outstanding, helping to even out the loss and gain.

Effectiveness against armor/vehicles

The shell is meant to fight a modern military and thus the damage reflects that. The "laser Shrapnel" expelled upon impact is capable of punching though quality 7 armor with mixed to only damaging effects against quality 8 (which most modern soldiers seem to where). The If an individual is caught too close to an exploding orb, the fire would defiantly burn through or simply cook the user of a quality 8 armor or below with painful and damaging effects to the user and armor of a quality 9.
When it comes to vehicles, the laser shrapnel is only effective against lightly armored vehicles such as rapid transports and troop carriers. A direct hit, however, would obliterate light vehicles and severely damage even a AT-AT sized walker but not to the point of destruction unless multiple direct hits were sustained.

Advantages:
Made to be moved and deployed quickly anywhere on the battlefield
Powerful ammunition

Disadvantages
Inaccurate
Heavy
Minimal amounts of ammo

Classification: Mortar
Size: Handheld (Graug, Wookiee etc)
Length: Mortar Launcher – 100 centimeters, Mortar - 81mm (3.2 inches)
Weight: 38.5 kilograms
RPM: 40
Ammunition Type: Shells
Ammunition Capacity: 1
Effective Range: 180meters (minimum) 2.3 miles (maximum)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Darth Vulcanus"]
Alright, got a fair number of things to go over on this one. Let's get started.

Going from top to bottom, I cannot see something this powerful (ie. firing a laser flak/plasma clusterbomb/napalm/White phosphorous shell) being anything more than limited production.

Next, I'd like you to clarify just what type of shell you're firing. You state initially that it's like a laser flak round, then describe it as a plasma charge that explodes into cluster munition-like plasma charges that work and operate akin to a napalm round while linking a video from Homefront to a scene where the main protagonists are using White Phosphorous mortar rounds against North Korean troops. I'd like you to edit and clearly state which one it is and how it operates, please. Once you're done with that we can move on to any applicable disadvantages or downsides to the weapon.

Next on the list is you state it is handheld, but is fired from the ground as a mortar. Could you clarify, please?

Also, I see you listed the length, but could you also list the caliber of the weapon, please. A good idea of calibers to use can be found here or you can use a RL reference by looking through a list of heavy mortars used today by looking through the list here.

The weight you listed is far too light. The M252 81mm mortar used by the United States military, which is what I'm using as a RL comparison point for reference, is 41.3kg in weight and requires the various parts of the weapon to be broken up between the mortar crew. While I am not military personnel, I am an active mil-simer (participating in military simulations) and have done militia work as well. Even a "light" mortar is a heavy piece of equipment. Also, the description on the item's weight is not accurate to the listed weight as 7.2 kgs is only 14 or so pounds. For reference, this weapon only weighs the same as a WWII PIAT, a man portable Anti Tank weapon operated by a single soldier from the shoulder like a rifle.

Could you also include a Rounds Per Minute (RPM), please.

Finally, while still using the M252 used in RL by the US, the range is not entirely accurate, I feel. The M252 has a minimum range of 91m and a maximum (Using special ammo. I know the Wiki page doesn't list that, but the French variant is a direct copy and licensed for production by the French goverment. Both require specialized ammunition to fire over 2 miles) of 5,925m, which requires specialized ammunition. Most standard mortars reach around 2 miles or so, maximum. Please edit accordingly. Though if you find a canon range for an equivalent or near equivalent system, please link it and we can reassess with new information.

@ me when finished and we'll go from there :)

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
@[member="Popo"]
Skyfire shells work in a very similar manner to laser flak in the sense that it uses unstable plasma in its usage
What I meant by its similarity with Laser Flak is that it uses unstable energy beams in its operations. The shells it uses contain the components to create said energy. Much like other types of plasma weaponry in the SW universe the bolts created by the outward release of energy from the unstable plasma orbs can also cause flames, in this case in a near napalm like manner. Making these shells almost a cross between flak and napalm. Naturally, it is not as powerful as standard napalm but it does have a scorching effect even so.

As far as the weapon being handheld I meant to say that the mortar itself can be carried as one large piece by the Graug infantry, thanks to the species's natural strength. The weapon can be carried by a single soldier and when it is prepared to fire, the solider simply pulls the handle of the weapon backwards to deploy the plate/legs of the mortar that allows it to be fired in the traditional manner.

Also, I made the shells 81mm, made the max range 2.3 miles.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Mkay, makes sense. Seems to operate as a White Phosphorous round, though with more "splatter" and a larger Area of Effect, so to speak, though with less direct immolation type damage. In that case, just list what average armor the weapon is effective against and you should be fine. Just @ me when finished and we'll see where we need to go from there :p

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Lol I try not to, I just like going over things as thoroughly as possible with the subbers so as to minimize misscommunication in both directions :p

Last thing, I promise. I'm not comfortable with the following:

Darth Vulcanus said:
A direct or very close hit from a orb (3 - 4 feet) would result in the complete obliteration of most armors through explosive and burning means.
From what the description is, it sounds like the orbs operate like a regular blaster round (which will set fire to things that are flammable). I'll approve it without a dev thread without that line above. If you wanna keep that line, I'll want a dev thread. I'm concerned that folks will get a hold of this weapon and try to make it into a "I win" spam button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom