Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skin My Senses

Bastion
Following the subjugation of Muunilinst, and Maelasi's believed failure when it came to [member='Ignus']' safety, the young Thyrisian had decided it was time for further training. A soldier she may have been, but in order to keep her duties she had no doubt that the art of the Sith could remain unknown to her no longer. Leos had tried to convince her that she had done no wrong, but he had also not been adverse to the idea of her seeking lessons elsewhere. One could never be too prepared after all.

There had been a Sith there that day, and though he had arrived late to the negotiations he had helped to secure the Muun all the same. Leos thought that, given the two had already met if only briefly, it would be a decent pairing if he set Maelasi up with [member='Vengeance'] for some one on one Makashi training. While she could wield a lightsaber, she had never really looked into the forms. Her style was a little more unique, drawing upon the influences of her people. It was a form of poise, etiquette, elegance. It required balance, fleeting footwork, and in many ways trust.

A true duelists path.

No doubt the girl would find a way to add her own flavour to it in time.

Pacing down the halls of the Academy Leos had sent her to, Maelasi kept her gaze fixed dead ahead. Past various rooms filled with students. A mess hall. A conference room. Then out into the eastern courtyard where the sun was high and the air was crisp. She had no knowledge of whether Vengeance would be waiting. If he would show at all. These arrangements had not been made with her privy to the conversations after all. She had just been a good soldier and gone along with her employers word.

Vengeance was indeed in the eastern courtyard but he was not alone. Dressed simply in loose fitting pants and no shirt he held a Tactical Fighting Blade in his hand instead of a lightsaber. The Sith Lord even to this day a student of the sword was dueling a pair of knights who like [member="Maelasi Eramar"] had sought him out to further their craft. He was dueling them both at the same time. When one struck Vengeance weaved out spinning along the Knights out stretching arm. Having been in between the two Knights a split second before his attacker was now having to cut his attack short for fear of hitting his own partner.

Vengeance smiled speaking to the two Knights.

"It is not enough to know where your intended target is you must also be aware of where your ally is as well. Numbers are not always an advantage but can be a hinderance as well."

He paused.

"You must attack in unison not one then the other. Move to leave nowhere for your opponent go. If one of you attacks his left side the other attack his right. Keep him not only in between you but pinned with nowhere to retreat to. If one of you attacks high then the other attack low."

At that moment Vengeance stopped a small smile forming on his lips.

"We seem to have run out of time for today..........my next appointment has arrived. Same time tomorrow."

Vengeance turned towards Maelasi as the two knights moved away. He stood waiting for her to close the distance the tip of his blade resting gentle on the ground his hands on the end of the hilt.

The sight which greeted her was honestly a pleasant surprise. A man after her her own heart, he elegantly weaved between his opponents with sword in hand. Real, physical, sword. None of this mystical mumbo jumbo... Not that she denied the utility of a lightsaber. Her eyes soaked in all there was to see, her ears all there was to hear, and though she remained passive on the exterior inside she felt her spirits soar.

Perhaps this would not be quite so terrible as she had anticipated.

Her head tilted just a touch to the left, though the rest of her posture remained perfect as ever. She had ceased her forward movements upon seeing the Lord preoccupied, but now that his students had been dismissed she immediately kicked back into motion and began to close the gap. Her steps were somewhat slow, precise, allowing him a moment of respite to recompose himself. And to allow the Knights time to leave his presence.

When finally she reached the edge of the dueling space, she tipped her head into a respectful bow the way she had back among the Muun, only somewhat deeper this time, and before rising she uttered just one statement.

"My Lord."

It would not pay for her to forget herself. While she swore allegiance to Leos and not the Sith themselves, she knew there was folly behind disrespecting any who held power. She couldn't very well serve him dead.

[member='Vengeance']

He smiled returning her bow with an incline of his head but made no other move.

"Vengeance.......... I tend to not stand on formalities unless absolutely necessary."

He gave a small motion indicating the area around them.

"Plus you will learn if you have not already that on the battlefield and in death we are all equals. So let's get the formalities out of the way. What name do you prefer to be called and why have you sought me out?"

Vengeance turned slightly setting the blade against the low wall near him picking up his shirt and wiping the sweat from his brow before he turned back to her. He hands clasp behind his back he waited her response.

[member="Maelasi Eramar"]

Another Sith who despised the formalities.

Maelasi swore they were doing it just to get under her skin. It was as though they found tormenting the former soldier hilarious. As though they knew there was no way in hell she would be dropping their names into every day conversation. He may not have minded, but others would. A passing Sith might take offense if they saw an Acolyte 'disrespect' a Lord. She had seen it before, she would see it again.

Still, she gave one firm nod. It seemed that not even Spira could loosen her up, she had returned to her rigid self the moment they left. Leos had simply accepted it as such, unless they were in private. That didn't count, she had nothing to prove to him these days.

"The battlefield may make equals of us, Sir, but you remain my superior. My name is Maelasi."

His final question was the real kicker though, wasn't it?

"I am here because I failed in my duties toward Lord Palle. And I do not intend on doing so again, Sir."

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance tilted his head slightly.

"What duties would those that be?"

It was a simple question on the surface. In truth however it was a ticking time bomb. One who approached growth for the wrong reasons were doomed to a life of torment and failure. In a simple phrase she had betrayed an over attachment to her Master and a lack of focus on her own abilities. More importantly her own growth in those abilities. He knew if she stuck to that mentality there would be nothing he could do to help her.

As he waited for her answer in his mind he was already modifying the days less plan. Molding it to fit this bit of new information he had on his new student even if it was a temporary arraignment.

Her gaze did not waver from his. Not even slightly. She gave him her full attention, while monitoring their surroundings in the Force. It was a habit she had never learned to break, and had no intentions of doing so either.

"The preservation of his well being, Sir. I doubt he could hide the signs from yourself back on Muunilinst. I was blindsided by a Force Hunter, I underestimated her. And he paid the price."

Leos swore up and down that it was his own doing for jumping into the middle of their battle, but she should have been more aware of his placement in the Council Chambers. It had almost cost him his life, in fact from the sounds of it the Force had been hellbent on claiming him before she pulled him back from the abyss. It did not bear thinking about.

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance nodded but frowned.

"Your Master is a Sith Lord is he not? Wouldn't that mean his well being and it's preservation is his own responsibility?"

Vengeance paused a measured pause.

"If I had to guess your Master was injured because he was sloppy or distracted...........maybe even both. I would further guess you were caught off guard and blindside because you were too focused on the preservation of your Master's well being and not on your own."

Vengeance tilted his head once again.

"You failed your Master because you failed yourself. The day you no longer put his well being before your own is the day you will be of most use to him."

For the first time since being in his presence, Maelasi's expression dipped from neutrality into the most subtlest of frowns. It did not pull at her lips, but instead flickered within her eyes as she pondered over all that the man was saying. Of course Leos was responsible for his own well being, but a Sith Lord having others to fight alongside him was not unheard of. And Maelasi acted as more than just a simple bodyguard. She gave counsel, provided another set of eyes, a fresh outlook.

And besides, his life is worth more than mine for the sheer fact that he subjugated mine.

Maelasi had never wanted to be a Sith. She did not care for working her way up the ladder, for making something of herself. She was a slave to the throws of her Master, willingly so now though there had been a time where she abhorred that fact.

"How can I protect someone if I do not focus on their preservation? I am more than capable of ensuring my own safety, Sir, I left that battle with just a few superficial wounds. Were it not for his injury, I have no doubt that the Force Hunter would have left with far worse."

There was no smugness to her words, she wasn't overconfident or boastful. The battlefield was one of the only places she could really breathe, think, it was everything else that messed things up for her.

With a very slight sigh, and the return of her steeled expression, she inclined her head once again.

"Forgive me, My Lord. I do not doubt that you know better than I where such things are concerned. But I was made to follow orders, to serve, I am no more a Sith than the servants that keep this Academy running beneath the surface. And yet... I find that I must learn to be. I will follow your guidance as far as you are willing, but some things are deeply ingrained, Sir."

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance smiled whether she realized it or not she had hit on the very issue at hand.

"Protection is not your purpose young one. It is your Master's purpose. To protect you, to nurture you, to educate you. Until you are wise and strong enough to do those things for yourself. Your payment for such nurturing is that you serve your Master's will until you are ready to serve your own will and take an apprentice of your own. Thus completing the circle."

Vengeance realizing she had probably not noticed them before moved a hand motioning towards the fist sized scar just below his heart, the slash mark across his abdomen, turning his back to her for a second and the diagonal slash going down his back before he faced her again.

"Those that spend enough time on the battlefield get hurt............others die. It is unavoidable.......some times at the hands of our enemies and some times at the hands of our fellow Sith."

He paused.

"I can teach how to wield a blade Maelasi but not why. Wield it for the wrong reason and it will betray you every time."

He smiled.

"Tell me young one what is the greatest weapon one can wield in any battle?"

Maelasi frowned ever so slightly.

"Lord Palle is not my Master, he is my employer, Sir."

The two were not one and the same. Maelasi had no one at this point to train her in the Force, it was in part why she had opted to seek out training among the Ascendancy. Of course she could see how others might look upon their pairing and see Master and Apprentice, she couldn't blame the misunderstanding.

"I do not have a Master; I've never been trained in the Sith Way."

Would this revelation change Vengeance's view on the situation? Would he turn her away for being a nobody? It was difficult to know for sure, and right now she did not wish to continue the conversation until she was made aware of his stance.

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance chuckled. Well it started off as a chuckle but ended in a full blown laugh.

"I have had many teachers Maelasi but never a Master."

He winked at her dropping his voice some.

"Between you and me having a Master is overrated."

He composed himself for a moment and continued.

"So you need a mentor not just a dueling partner. Ok my own apprentice is in time out so I have the time. I only have one rule. You do what I say, when I say it, and how I say it."

He paused.

"You make what I show you your own on your own time. You still interested?"

His laughter left her momentarily on edge. There was no disgust or contempt behind it, just pure humour, and yet it had the woman wondering where this would leave them. Thankfully he did not force her to wait long before his response came.

Apparently he was not quite so uptight as many Sith, who believed solely in the value of a true Apprenticeship, and offered more of his time to her than had initially been scheduled. Part of her wondered why he was willing to help her so readily, but in truth she was mostly grateful for the opportunity.

The more she learned, the more use she would be. Not just to Leos, but to the Ascendancy as a whole.

"I understand, Sir." Following orders was something she could do. And it seemed he knew that she would adjust what she learned. Doing so on her own time? That was fine. After all, it meant more training... "Thank you."

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance smirked.

"So back to my question that you have not yet answered."

He paused taking a step back and leaning against a column.

"What is the greatest weapon one can wield in any battle?"

He waited to hear her answer. It was indeed an odd question to start off a saber instruction session but it was a question of great importance. It was how he started off all of his lessons............well one that don't start with some enterprising young Sith trying to kill him. Those usually started off with a bit of taunting and then a good thrashing. Maelasi however and approached as a student willing to learn. which is good since he doubted Lord Palle would appreciate his employee sent back to him bruised and broken.

The question was indeed an odd one; she might have used the time between the two attempts at asking it to think on it, but she hadn't. All well and good, she looked up ever so slightly before lifting one hand and tapping the side of her head, against her right temple.

"Your head, Sir," she said, "or more, your mind. Remaining aware of your surroundings and your foe, having the patience to watch and wait for an opening..."

Was your mind a weapon? She had always been taught to believe as much. Sure, a Lightsaber was all well and good... But not knowing how to wield it would kill you. A blaster would likely do the same, though some had been known to pick one up for the first time and still manage to get a hit. Others, like the Stormtroopers, couldn't hit a womp rat with a blaster, so...

Likely not what the Sith Lord had in mind, but she had said it now. And she stood by it.

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance looked at her allowing a bot of disbelief to show on his face. He had asked that question probably a dozen times. No one had ever gotten the correct answer much less on the first try. He was clearly impressed. He started to press with more questions. He had not met someone his intellectual equal since Melori and he found himself wanting more. That however was not the purpose of her presence today. Training was.

"Ok moving on."

He reached back grabbing his blade from where it had been leaning. He moved forward stopping a few feet from her his blade held at his side blade pointing down.

"Let's see where you are at skill wise and then we can move from there. You may engage when ready with your weapon of choice."

He stood his feet roughly shoulder width apart his left leg slid just may a half step forward. He waited to see what she would do.

His surprise was tangible in the air, as though he had not expected her to answer in such a way. Was that a good thing? Had he been wanting her to state lightsaber, or the Force? Not this girl, she'd been taught away from the Sith after all. Until now at least.

When the time came for her to gear up, so to speak, Maelasi did not reach for a weapon... Though there were several on her person. A lightsaber on her belt, a blaster rifle, someone with keen eyes might note the knives in her boots... And yet, despite that, she reached for none.

Instead she brought up her hands in a defensive stance, clenching them into fists, and stared through them at him. She wasn't used to taking the first shot, in fact it was something she had always prided herself on in the shockboxing arena. Last to hit, last to fall. Something told her Vengeance wouldn't allow her to simply stand around waiting, circling him.

Oh, but she did circle him. She moved to the left, light on her feet, encircling him in her motions.

And then, with the Force at her feet, she leaped forth and jabbed toward his jaw.

All the while, she had the Force flowing through her, not doing anything, not enhancing her, just present. Waiting...

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance chuckled watching her. Not opting for a weapon was a bold move but a foolish one. One that screamed to things. The first being a lack of weapons experience. When one was faced with a life or death situation the body and mind defaulted to what it new best. Maelasi was apparently a bit of a boxer and while there is nothing wrong with that on a fundamental level it does little against a sword.

When she began to circle he turned in place ensuring that he was always facing her. He seemed to be lighter on his feet than one may have anticipated. Footwork was something he had always worked on. He preferred fluid movements over the normal plant and strike approach. As he followed her movements in his hand he adjusted his grip on the sword. The blade still pointed down but now he held it in a reverse grip. He watched her body language looking for that moment when it would betray her intent to strike.

When the leaping punch came he quickly side stepped turning his body forty-five degrees as he did. His sword hand would shoot up like a serpents strike aiming to jam the pommel of the sword into her rib cage before taking a few steps back.

He didn't say a word to her he simply watched waiting to see that killer instinct kick in. He knew she had one even if she didn't know it herself. That is what he needed to bring out of her before he could truly help her.

He was quick, but she had met many a foe in the arena and knew what it was to switch her plans mid movement. Instinctively her hands came around, protecting the exposed side of her body, and where the sword met with her palms the Force did its work, cushioning the skin and keeping her from gaining all save a small cut on each palm.

Backing up, the girl tilted her head to one side and watched him for just a second. Her hands stung, but she drew upon it and blotted out the rest; the sounds, the distractions, her focus was on Vengeance and their immediate surroundings.

One hand twitched, longing to bring the saber into play, but she left it where it was for now. She had been a solider in the Empire's Military. She had wielded a lightsaber at Ardik and Ignus' request. Her fists, they had been her own doing. She had drawn herself to the arena.

Another forward rush, only this time she ducked aside last minute and kicked one foot out toward his ankle; in the same motion she turned, bringing her hands up in yet another two-handed block. Perhaps that was foolish, to leave herself open like that, but it was just a quick drop of the arms before she could defend lower.

All of the rigidity she had previously shown, all of the formalities and perfect posture was gone. She was flowing now, somewhat animalistic in the way that her muscles rolled. She was in her element.

[member="Vengeance"]

Vengeance watched her move giving away no reaction. An ankle kick was a useless gesture. One that was met with simply picking up his foot to let it pass under his foot. A foot that would come back down in a measured stomp in hopes of catching her own ankle as it passed under.

His free hand snapped out in a quick hook punch aimed for her jaw. As it did his sword hand came up still in a reverse slash aimed for her stomach. It would then come back across from her hips to her shoulder before going back across aimed for her throat. his opposite foot would slide back moving away from a squared off posture to a side stance only. His sword protecting the side facing her ready for any counter attack that may be directed his way.

The entire time he never said a word, never made an expression. His focus on the dance they were currently locked in and his immediate surroundings. While not quite a laser focus on Maelasi it would be enough to give her a good fight but not leave himself open should a second opponent appear. While he didn't expect anyone to interrupt their duel it was a force of habit from being out numbered so often of the battlefield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom