Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six True Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wu%20Xiubo_zpszekmvf9v.jpg

Name: Six True Words
Loyalties: His craft, then his employer
Role: Curious Character in the Trenchcoat Man universe. Alternative Force Philosopher. City Ghoul.
Development Threads: Watch This Space
Species: Human (Atrisian)
Force-Sensitive: No
Appearance: Six True Words’s appearance is well-kempt, but to not such a degree so as to appear square or uptight. It is natural, balanced between chaos and deliberate intent. His manner of dress is hip, though with not the effort to draw attention to oneself. It simply is not his desire to be the most well-dressed man in the room, and while he certainly can afford it, he makes little effort to be the most fashion-forward, either. After all, it is in the nature of his talent that he need not this superfluity to Pop!, for it is not the clothes that make the man, nor the man that makes the clothes. They make each other.

A mole resides between his eyes, and his age has granted him some grey hairs. Is typically wearing glasses.
Personality: Mystical, yet Business-Savvy. A delicate balance between the Old World and the New. Weighs words carefully, wastes few. Was important once, content to never be again. He is not boastful, nor ascetic. Not compassionate, nor cruel. He is simply open, allowing the Force to shape him to its whims as he might shape It in a room, a city, or a world.

While not technophobic, Six True Words does hold a certain disdain for technology. He finds that relying too much upon it weakens ones link to the act in which they are performing. In this, he often opts for older tools that do not degrade his role in process. His eyeglasses are bare bones, no distracting interfaces. His Luopan droid makes suggestions, but the measuring process is entirely under his direction.
Weapon of Choice: Feng-Shui
Wealth: His services in Urban Planning, Interior Decorating, and Landscaping (predominantly in accordance to Feng-Shui principles) have left him quite comfortably wealthy.
Combat Function: If Six True Words were to wind up in combat, it would be indirectly. He would likely lead you to an area where the Force was weak, polarized, or otherwise negatively affected, then execute you with a blaster while you were dealing with it. For NFUs, he’s fresh meat, provided you can find him.
Skills: Feng-Shui - In parts of Atrisian culture, the Force is not understood to be a product of microscopic bacteria (though such a revelation would not hurt the philosophy that has emerged). There is no debate between the Living, the Unifying, and the Insidious. The Force simply is, and all things similarly are with it. While a lamp cannot Force Push you, nor can a Couch read your mind, they nonetheless possess a consciousness, a spirit, or a spiritual quality.

All things are the Force. This is simple fact.

In recognizing this basic truth, Six True Words has made himself count among the most powerful Force-Wielding NFU. In his arrangement of furniture, of plantlife, of hotels and market stalls, even people, he has been able to harmonize the Force so as to perform a variety of general tasks. At the requests of Emperors, he has built jails without walls to bind Jedi captives. Under contract of corporate overlords, he has turned their towers into guns, blasting star destroyers from orbit with Force Energy weaponized by Masters praying in the elevators.

Maths Whiz- Though by no means a human calculator, Six True Words has worked with mathematics in architecture for a long time. He is long beyond the point where crunching figures gives him trouble, or is even anything beyond a reflex.

Psychology- In order to properly implement the arithmetic for Feng-Shui, one must also be able to understand the situation of the person one is working for. Six True Words is adept in breaking down personality into workable figures so that the subject may benefit or suffer from his art.

Notable Possessions: Ancient light-adjusting reading glasses; a very old Luopan compass “droid” (basically a floating, disc-shaped machine that beeps at him periodically as he uses it in his measures)
Other Notes: In the reactionary grave-robbing and death-worship and its resulting cultural bankruptcy of the modern generation, Six True Words has fallen out of vogue due to Feng-Shui’s inability to produce results sans explosions or tangible “ARTIFACTS OF ANCIENT POWER.” He has taken very few protégés and no longer operates a readily-accessible business firm.

How to Kill My Character 101:

Strengths- Six True Words is an academic and a wiseman, so you can count on him to potentially be cleverer than you. He roams in circles of higher caliber people where violence isn't as acceptable, and isn't likely to engage directly, if at all. I mean, he comes from a culture of Face management.

While he does not have his own security detail, his associates likely do. His particular talents allow for calculating probabilities of human behavior, offering an early warning system in the event of emerging aggression, and then a shrewd mind when it comes to luring would-be opponents into traps.

Of course, none of this is really present in his mind. He's a non-combatant in the role of counselor.

Weaknesses- Six True Words is, again, not a fighter. While not a coward, he definitely does not feel dishonor in the face of "tactical retreat." That said, however, if cornered, he's not going to manifest incredible brute strength, or startling swordsmanship, or suddenly develop some martial arts mastery encoded in his DNA. He's going to get beat up...unless you suck.

Additionally, his Feng-Shui doesn't just shoot from his fingertips. He actually has to move things, or have someone move them for him. I solemnly swear to never have him get knocked into a sofa, move it a quarter inch to the right, and suddenly explode a lightsaber in the hand of his opponent, or whatever.

Trenchcoat Man said:
most powerful Force-Wielding NFU
I assume this was somewhat of a pun? Just for clarification.

Trenchcoat Man said:
a very old Luopan compass “droid”
You're probably going to have to make a tech submission for this. Although I'm not a factory judge so I can't tell you for sure but before you roleplay it I'd ask here.

As this is a very rich submission I'm going to ask that you add strengths and weaknesses to the NPC much like you would a character or factory submission.

[member="Trenchcoat Man"]

Anja Aj said:
I assume this was somewhat of a pun? Just for clarification.
Yeah, it's bit of a joke. The closest measurement we have for such statements are our Force rank levels, and that doesn't apply to NFUs. So it's a bit of a fluff statement, really, but it asserts a point.

Anja Aj said:
You're probably going to have to make a tech submission for this. Although I'm not a factory judge so I can't tell you for sure but before you roleplay it I'd ask here.
I only added it to Star Wars it up a bit. If it's a big deal, I'll just make it a regular Luopan. It's purely cosmetic, like a beep-blooping calculator.

Anja Aj said:
As this is a very rich submission I'm going to ask that you add strengths and weaknesses to the NPC much like you would a character or factory submission.

Done! [member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

If I make you wait more than 48 hours again please send me a PM. My apologies.

Trenchcoat Man said:
I only added it to Star Wars it up a bit. If it's a big deal, I'll just make it a regular Luopan. It's purely cosmetic, like a beep-blooping calculator.
Also this is fine. It's not really a big deal but I don't control the rules and from time-to-time such things will require factory subs. But as I said before I am not a Factory Judge so whether or not that would require a sub is up to them.

Trenchcoat Man said:
Feng-Shui
Alright I misunderstood this. Frankly; has this been something that was roleplayed heavily in the past? I have several concerns about this and I'm going to expand on them in some bulletins below.
  • This effectively is expanding on one of the fundamentals of Star Wars.
  • It might not need to be said but this is easily abused.
  • This is a complicated subject in its own and one which this submission is not appropriate for expanding on the subject.

In summary: The Force is essentially one of three things that makes Star Wars memorable.It plays such a critical role in storyline, character development, and plot resolution in just about every aspect of Star Wars. From video games to books, comics to movies, and T.V. shows to tabletops; the force is always involved.

So it really shouldn't need to be said that if this were approved it'd basically be approving the concept of an entire new application in which the force can be utilized. It changes the very nature of what the force is and can do. I understand there's always going to be arguments and as this is a roleplay board people are going to want to change or add.

Honestly, If something like that would be allowed--by your definition--it's going to need a lot of work and balancing, people are going to need to be able to easily understand it and know the limits. I like the idea, it's different and in a good kind of way but there's many concerns here and I don't have the authority on what content is or isn't allowed; so I can't say for sure that even if I did stamp this it would be approved.

Essentially what I'm reading is that this guy can use an ability to basically align objects in intricate ways that manipulate the force. And to reflect my earlier statements... This as a power would be expanding on basic Force canon, and adding an entire new category to how the force can be applied along the lines of Alchemy, Sith Magic, etc.

If you could elaborate on this please do.

Anja Aj said:
Frankly; has this been something that was roleplayed heavily in the past?

Yes. The Unifying Force.

Anja Aj said:
This effectively is expanding on one of the fundamentals of Star Wars.

Yes, in much the same way as a character having a calculator "expands" on the nature of a holocomputer. :roll:
It would likely be an older version of the power, in the same way Sith Magic is old Darkside of the Force and Sith Alchemy has been largely replaced by superior technology.

Anja Aj said:
It might not need to be said but this is easily abused.

I mean, maybe. Not easily. But what can't?

Anja Aj said:
This is a complicated subject in its own and one which this submission is not appropriate for expanding on the subject.
I don't understand what you mean

Anja Aj said:
In summary: The Force is essentially one of three things that makes Star Wars memorable.It plays such a critical role in storyline, character development, and plot resolution in just about every aspect of Star Wars. From video games to books, comics to movies, and T.V. shows to tabletops; the force is always involved.
Agreed, and you likely will find few who more dutifully discuss The Force in all its complexities in the "What is the Force/Lightside/Darkside/Morality/Magic/Vongimmunity?" threads that crop up in perpetuity than myself.

Anja Aj said:
So it really shouldn't need to be said that if this were approved it'd basically be approving the concept of an entire new application in which the force can be utilized. It changes the very nature of what the force is and can do. I understand there's always going to be arguments and as this is a roleplay board people are going to want to change or add.
Not at all. If psychometry can be applied to an object, it suggests that the object has its own connection to the Force. If the Vong can occupy a place on a different frequency of the Force, it suggests that the Force interfaces with different things differently (supported by White Current and Y'sanna/Dathomir magic). What is Sith Alchemy? Just binding Force qualities into the inanimate...Wouldn't it have to be on the Force register in order to retain it? And last, but not least, the Unifying Force indicates that all things are the Force. Even your lampshade. This is nothing new and well within established confines of the Force (which is nowhere, because The Force is everything)

Without openness to new interpretations of the Force, we would not have the Witches of Dathomir, the Yuuzhan-Vong, ANYTHING from The Old Republic franchise, the Aing-Tii, or Mace Windu (and with him, the idea of more than three colors of lightsabers). Instead, we'd have a not-even-Science-Fiction franchise that died on the vine after it made those Ewok movies (Though, even that had a magical system approach to the Force). George Lucas routinely asserted the idea of there being no canon, and that Star Wars belonged to all of us. It was in part because of his study under Joe Campbell, and the quest for a monomyth. All religious fundamentalism has ever done is prevent a lore's growth so as to prevent it from remaining relevant to a modern age. Star Wars was built to adapt, and since there is now a cookie-cutter idea for Sith, it is our duty as fans to create alternatives to enhance mystery and make sure the universe doesn't stagnate and die.

Additionally, we currently reside in a version of the Star Wars universe where people have supplanted blasters for real world ballistic weaponry, where the Insidious Force is a pastime, where people RP the Vong as actually OUTSIDE the Force, where people make characters that are OUTSIDE the Force, where White Current and Dathomir Magic are wielded as supplements to Jedi Force Training despite the three being mutually exclusive, and where Heaven/Hell is not only a physical, literal place, but one you can readily access. I understand the desire to protect the aesthetic and philosophy of the intellectual property, but, I mean...yeah. I'll just re-emphasize that Star Wars is for and takes all kinds.

Anja Aj said:
Honestly, If something like that would be allowed--by your definition--it's going to need a lot of work and balancing, people are going to need to be able to easily understand it and know the limits. I like the idea, it's different and in a good kind of way but there's many concerns here and I don't have the authority on what content is or isn't allowed; so I can't say for sure that even if I did stamp this it would be approved.
What's to balance? It's an NPC used for conversational purposes. It's also a slow power to execute, requiring measurements, pre-planning, etc. It has almost no on-the-fly utility. And let's be real, 90% of players don't know what it is they're doing with their own stock Force Powers -- just a recycling of that damn "Ebb and flow" figurative language and what they've learned from the powers of superheroes. What Six True Words can do is just a change in window dressing; an arrangement of coffee tables instead of a ritual circle. So, for the sake of balance, it's a "less-than" Force Power, and is small potatoes compared to some of the outrageous crap I've seen perpetuated under the heading of Sith Magick. If I abuse it, take it away. With my average post coming in at a little under 1000 words, I assure you, this is only for story. :cool:

People aren't as dumb as we think, or, at least, idealistically, we shouldn't treat them as though they are. If we can trust them to know all the answers and not exploit it through metagaming, than we can trust them to continue to act like adults when the answers aren't spelled out for them. If nothing else, this is a cooperative environment, and we can always PM each other, right? ;)

Anja Aj said:
Essentially what I'm reading is that this guy can use an ability to basically align objects in intricate ways that manipulate the force. And to reflect my earlier statements... This as a power would be expanding on basic Force canon, and adding an entire new category to how the force can be applied along the lines of Alchemy, Sith Magic, etc.
Yes. This is what he's able to do.

And the reflect my previous statements, as well -- It's not outside the Force or anything we've seen before. We're just so used to discussing the Force by these Christian, "Angels vs. Demons" perspectives, that we get all confused when we start to examine it again from the Buddhist and Animist ideas which the Force has more basis in and shares more in common with. It's a massive galaxy, and while globalization (universalization?) surely ground out some outside the box thinking, it's weird to me that the entire galaxy hinges on the exact same axioms despite many having little to no contact with one another. A culture that does not utilize sight will not see "Illumination," "Lightside," or "Candles In The Dark" as positive concepts, and likely, the Darkside will be seen as a more unifying, loving, embracing Force by peer virtue of its unwillingness to discriminate. Similarly, as in the case I'm making for my NPC, a culture that never identified with Aristotlean logic and Good/Bad, Strong/Weak, Old/Young binaries will have approached the Force from a collectivist, all-is-one, harmonic, Unifying Force slant, where Feng-Shui is a natural product. Evidence? The fact its what happened on Earth when given the exact same parameters.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

My concerns have nothing to do with conceptualization, philosophy, or current lore. It's how this--as an addition--could affect the community as a whole. Just because something's well-written and extremely thought out doesn't mean it transcends what's currently allowed.

Again: I said I liked the idea and I'm not worried that people aren't going to be able to work issues out but I cannot make a special exception for such a power. I also cannot say whether or not you can utilize that power on a PC. I'm not an RPJ, I'm not an admin, and I surely don't own the board.

However; as a Codex Judge I currently cannot allow an NPC to use this. It's not that I don't trust you as a writer to not abuse this but I cannot legitimize it as an ability for future submissions which may abuse it. Of course if my boss disagrees then we'll have a different story. With that in mind and my humblest apologies, I will have to deny this submission, seeing as this ability is pretty much the nature of the character.

Of course if you still want this NPC or feel my judgement was wrong you can take this to second chance.

Denied.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

I am fascinated by this concept. After all, the Force can be instilled in items by Alchemy or Alkahest, and areas can contain Force nexi.

However, the exact abilities and applications are not spelled out. I believe Anja was right to deny this, however, if you’re interested in seeing this concept go forward I do see a way.

I would like a 50+ post dev thread with at least 3 writers involved detailing the specifics. I want to see what this can do, how and why. When that is done, second chance this submission and I will review whether it is a viable thing to add to SWRP canon.

The more detail, the more balance you give it, the better chance of getting it approved. Think of this as a pitch not just for this character, but for the very concept.

Finally, I’d like you to change the name. We all know that Atrisians are Space Japanese, but ‘d prefer the reference to be less explicit to the real-world belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom