Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SITE cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Image is too big: http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/009/1/a/uef_t5_mobile_artillery_by_avitus12-d4lw3ia.jpg

Intent: To create a heavy assault/defense cannon/artillery for the Lords of the Fringe
Development Thread: If necessary
Manufacturer: Lords of the Fringe
Model: ADA-001 artillery emplacement
Affiliation: Lords of the Fringe
Modularity: None
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel (1' thick min.)
Description: The SITE (Supreme Integrated Tracking Engine) cannon is the Fringe's ultimate ground weapon. The sheer scale of this iron beast is a terror weapon in and of itself. With a twin double-barreled cannon mounted on a turret, and four other triple cannons mounted on separate turrets, this behemoth can hardly be classified as a tank so much as it is a mobile fortress.
Its high-velocity guns use a multitude of accelerating devices, creating a projectile that can hit objects around the curvature of the planet. As each gun is able to traverse up to 90 degrees, it is also capable of firing on starships - with limited success.
Its long range provides a way to hit enemy bases and never get anywhere near them. It would be entirely possible to land one of these and demolish an enemy base without any warning ever been given.
However. The SITE cannon poses some very interesting complications.
One. Its size. The sheer mass of the vehicle requires it to move very slowly. Even spread across four treads, its weight is enough to flatten anything in its path. Unfortunately, this means it must travel on relatively flat terrain - no mountains, no deep valleys, etc.
Two. No anti-air or anti-personnel weapons. Therefore, it requires special attention - since it has a minimum range, it can't attack anything within, say, 700 m. on the ground. An infantry with a rifle and a bolt cutter could - eventually - carve their way into the cannon, and kill the crew. As such, it is highly recommended that this be protected with anti-infantry vehicles. Also, the cannon has no anti-air capabilities, and as such requires either constant air supervision by allied air vehicles, or constant anti-air supervision by allied ground vehicles.
Three. Morale boost. Think about it. With this monster behind you, one could level cities, rain fire on lands far, far away, or crush tanks like tin cans. Now, what if this indefatigable cannon were destroyed by enemy fire? That would shatter one's faith in their army. That is why these must be well-protected.
Four. Cost. Yes, it is essentially a turret ripped off a starship, but there have been enough modifications that a single one of these represents a significant investment in Fringe technology advancement - and as such, is invaluable in battle.

Classification: Long-range artillery cannon
Size: Mobile
Ammunition Type: Plasma-coated delayed-reaction explosive projectile
Ammunition Capacity: Belt-fed
Effective Range: 700 km (accuracy within 300 m)
Role: Heavy artillery
Height: 50 m
Length: 75 m
Width: 100 m
Weight: 1000 m. t.
Minimum Crew: 10
Optimal Crew: 50
Propulsion: Tracks (x 4)
Top Speed: 15 km/h
Armaments: 1 large upper turret, heavy turbolaser-class; 4 medium turrets, turbolaser-class.
Passenger Capacity: 500
Cargo Capacity: 200 m3
Misc. Equipment: Portable comm station linkup

@[member="Jak Sandrow"]
We don't encourage work in progress submissions. The tag is there mainly for staff use.

However, I will grant leeway this time. @mention me when this is ready to be judged.

Be aware that 7km is a pitifully small range for artillery. Artillery used in WWII had ranges of over 10km, and modern guns even more so. I suggest revising that.

@[member="Jak Sandrow"]

Unlike your previous designs this is actually viable. However, there does need to be some changes.

First, this needs to be border-line unique. I don’t want death cannons like this being let loose in batteries. I’d suggest making it unique for now.

The biggest problem is scale. You want big, and that’s fine, but your proportions are a bit out. The height and width are a bit excessive though, so cut those in half, leave the length as is. This real world monster of a tank weighed 1000 tonnes and was much smaller than this. By running a straight ratio test I estimate this engine would weigh 3,375 tonnes. So factoring in everything, let’s say 3,500 tonnes.
The armour would also not be a foot thick. That’d make the whole thing even heavier. I suggest 5cm at strongest.

That is, by any standards, monumentally big, but still possible. There are larger vehicles on Earth after all.
However, it would be seriously, seriously restricted in speed and ability to move. There would be, for instance, virtually no bridges able to carry such a thing, and even on level ground it would quickly tear great gouges in the ground and become stuck.
I suggest 5km/h is a maximum speed over flat, solid ground. I would suggest it would need to be deployed by a space cruiser landing and unloading it.

A range of 700km is huge, as far as Lexington, Kentucky is from Washington DC! I suggest 100km is perfectly fine. That’s twice as far as the largest Earth bound weapon ever, and anything longer is practically impossible for unguided shells. Even here I think you should add in the possible area of accuracy as 1km.
I would like to see the power, calibre and impact zone of these shells. How much damage can it do when it hits?
The rate of fire is not stated, but I would not want this firing more than once an hour. Or one of the pair firing every half hour. This is a terror weapon, not really an actual weapon for practical use anyway.

The 500 passengers is a bit impractical. Maybe 50 spare crew. Same with the cargo, make it 50 tonnes of spares, ammunition and the like.

And after all that…I’m gonna want a dev thread for this monster.

I was tempted to one shot deny this, but it has promise as a terror weapon boondoggle, so make these changes and give me a decent dev thread and I’ll consider approving it.

If you’d rather give up because it’s all too hard, do tell me also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom