Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me the Way

A lone pair of green eyes stared up at the sky; they watched as hues of red, orange, and pink streaked against the blue as the sun began to descend. The piercing stare belonged to a young woman, Isla Ashen, the daughter of a local farmer. A long sheet of flame colored hair fell loose and windblown about her face, but she cared little. She was something of an outcast among the members of her adoptive family, as well as the people that made up their local farming community. Isla was different and she knew it, but she was not quite sure what exactly made her so. All she knew was that there was something inside that called to her, a power that had remained largely untouched, but it waited for the day to be set free. Her hands were covered with thick leather work-gloves and within their grip was the wooden handle of a hoe. She leaned the farm tool against the worn fence post, and deftly hopped over.

Isla had done her duties about the farm and she had worked hard during the long hours of the day. It was time to let loose.

Long strides brought Isla to the edge of the woods, where she stood still as a shadow in the growing twilight. Gloved fingers twitched at her sides, anxious for action, and unable to be patient. Pushing off the ball of her foot, she sped into the forest, her eyes steadily on the horizon that was falling into darkness. Isla had little idea where she was going, she was merely following the urge to run. Isla was unbridled, free, and feral. Sharp ears listened to ever twig snap beneath her boots, she was not making any effort to be stealthy. There was something thrilling about being pursued, even though there were none to pursue her... or so she thought.

Tonight she sensed something that made her pause, a power that almost seemed to call to her. She did not know the source of such a force, it was strange and yet... it was also somehow familiar.

Isla pulled breaths in steadily, her eyes began to dart back and forth, but they did not find anything but the company of the still woods. A view from above would be a good thing –and so she jumped up, her hands grasping onto branches. With a surprising swiftness she climbed up the sturdy trunk, and she did not stop until she had found a strong branch high above the forest floor. Here she perched, waiting and watching the world below. The young woman’s muscles were tense, ready to spring forth at any moment, even if she was unaware of what she would spring upon...

[member="Anor Ren"]

Still waiting on the name change, but figured we could start anyway :)

#200thpost :D

One of the many star destroyers hovered over Skye, skimming the planet's atmosphere by a few kilometers on its designated patrol route. Inside of his crew quarters, Anor Ren sat meditating as his lightsaber floated freely around him. The newly appointed Knight of Ren had been given free-reign over where he would reside until orders called him away, so he chose the frontier world of Skye on the border of the Outer Rim and the Unknown Regions instead of staying cooped up within the Citadel on Dosuun.

Suddenly a small disturbance interrupted his current mindset drawing his focus towards the planet itself, on it he felt a power different from the others, one that was untouched and untamed. He needed to know what is was now, so he grabbed his lightsaber and stood up, heading for the hangar bay that held his starship. His regular pilot was off duty so he powered up the starship and backed out of the hangar and descended on the planet as the wings unfolded.

After several minutes of flying he narrowed down the location of the disturbance to a forest on the planet, he had to set down at small clearing and departed in a semi-force infused sprint, hoping to finish his investigation quick enough. As he neared the supposed source, he had to slow down to a careful walk as the sky was darkening and he wasn't certain what he would come up against once he reached it even though his helmet had night vision. Leaves and sticks crunched under his plated boots, his midnight-colored cloak made loud swishes, his helmet and haphazardly covered cybernetic forearm shimmered in the retreating light of the sun as he stopped near the epicenter of where he sensed the source.

Anor Ren had arrived.

[member="Selah Wren"]

Isla remained hunched within the branches of her tall tree, concealed for the most part within its shelter of leaves. It was not long before the sounds of footfalls could be heard against the forest floor. Green eyes narrowed as she listened, the snapping of twigs was growing closer. Carefully she peered down to see a glinting of a helmet in the darkness; the figure was wrapped in a cloak that seemed to meld with the darkness around him. It was almost as if a shadow moved below, or perhaps a specter of the night. But Isla did not believe in ghosts.

Her gloved hand found her hip, and she gently lifted her hunting knife from its place at her belt. A hint of anger in the silence. She wanted to know why this masked figure had appeared in her stretch of forest. She was protective of her hunting grounds, and decided that she would strike to defend her territory from this stranger. Isla watched as the man came to a halt almost directly below her, as if he knew that she waited above. Perhaps he was a skilled tracker, for she had not been careful to conceal her steps. Isla’s body tensed, she barely dared to breathe.

Suddenly, her lithe form would drop from the branches in front of the dark-clad man. A split second of recovery, and then her knife was at the man’s throat. However, it would do little good, for this vulnerable spot was well covered. There was a dangerous and unpredictable shine in the woman’s eyes. Her expression was hard, but there was the faintest hint of surprise. She could somehow feel the power radiating from this strange individual; he was strong... much stronger than she knew.

“Why have you come to my woods, stranger?” She questioned, the point of her blade jabbing out slightly.

Was it reckless to reveal herself in such a way? It was, but Isla was blind to anything but instinct. And it often got her into trouble...

[member="Anor Ren"]

The Knight only realized it was a person at the last second when he heard the air swish and the ground thud as a figure landed before him and stood up and placed a knife against his well-armored throat in about a second. He was impressed, anyone with such speed and agility would have to be strong in the Force. He tried to read her facial expression but couldn't get much information from it other than the fact that she was dead set on defending herself or whatever else was around.

Anor heard her ask him a question, about why he was in her woods. In any other situation he would've answered fearfully since there was a knife at his throat, but he was well protected and he had the Force on his side. Quick as lightning he grabbed the wrist of the hand holding the knife with his strong cybernetic and started twisting it away from his throat as he grabbed his lightsaber with his other hand but didn't ignite it.

He then spoke in a deep voice that was distorted by his helmet, "My name is Anor Ren, a Knight of Ren. And I am here for you, girl."

[member="Selah Wren"]

Before she even had time to react, her wrist was in the relentless grip of the man’s hand. Isla attempted to stand her ground, but it was futile. She flinched as he began to twist the blade, and her hand way from his throat. The hunting life dropped from her grasp, and the cloaked man was left with an open hand, no longer struggling against him. It was clear that his hand was not organic, and she did realize that her wrist could easily be broken, should he wish it.

Isla stood still, her teeth gritting, for she felt like an animal trapped in a corner. There was nowhere to run. She listened to the strange voice that came from his helmet, deep and dark, like something from a nightmare. But she was not frightened. Her eyes had taken note of the weapon in his hand; at least she assumed that it was a weapon. She had never seen anything like it before. Isla's gaze narrowed further when the voice stated that he had come for her... why? She was but a simple farm woman.

“What would you want with me?” She growled low, her voice betraying her discomfort.

She did not know what a Knight of Ren was, but she had a feeling that she was about to learn.

[member="Anor Ren"]

The Ren let out a distorted and unnerving laugh at her as he continued to hold her wrist with his cybernetic.

"Have you not felt it yet? Do you not know of the power that has manifested inside of you, a beast waiting to be tamed?" He said, releasing her wrist and letting her distance herself from him as he kicked the knife towards her, at least giving her the delusion that she was armed with her primitive hunting knife.

Anor began pacing in front of her and held his hands behind his back as if he was about to tell a story. "I am a fully initiated member of the Knights of Ren, the Force-sensitive branch within the First Order. The First Order controls this planet and I happened to be on one of the patrol ships until I sensed your...presence..." He started with, glancing at her.

"I took liberty in investigating because, we, the Knights are far and few between, and we could use a person of your...caliber..." He continued, letting it all sink in.

[member="Selah Wren"]

Isla let the masked man laugh in her face, her wrist still in his clutches for the moment. Her eyes stared steadily forward, and she listened to his words. He spoke of a power inside of her; Isla’s jaw relaxed slightly, sudden realization hitting her like a ton of bricks. She withdrew her hand quickly the moment he released his hold on her, and she bent to pick up her hunting knife. This time, she set the small blade back onto her belt. Her boots took a few steps back, though she was not retreating. Isla crouched down to watch and take in Anor Ren’s words.

Isla knew of the First Order, their presence on Skye was familiar now, though it was not always so. Even the people of her small farm town knew the sight of the white-armored Troopers well. They did not venture out her way often, but when they did... it was a rare time when Isla did not go looking for a fight – their strength was unmatched here. And this Knight of Ren was part of the Order as well? She was intrigued.

“I see.” She said plainly, giving little indication of where she stood. It was a lot to take in. At least now she knew that she was indeed different from the others, and perhaps this made her better than them. Isla was willing to leave her farm life behind if there was a promise to learn of this strange power. But she was aware that such things usually came with a price, they were never free.

“If I join you, what do I sacrifice? My freedom?” She questioned boldly, “And if I refuse?”

She would not refuse, but she needed to test the waters.

[member="Anor Ren"]

Anor continued to pace in front of her as he pondered her inquiry.

He stopped and faced her, staring at her through his helmet. "If you accompany me and join the Ren, you will have to give up your current life. And once you yourself become a Knight, give up your name, as I did. Your freedom will be untouched, being allowed to visit wherever your heart desires in perhaps your own starship." He answered her.

He then in a non-threatening matter said "If you refuse, you may return to your current life with nobody harmed or threatened, we are not sadists after all. Just know that the offer will always be on the table, and we will keep a keen eye on you."

The Ren then gave her another moment for her to formulate an answer.

[member="Selah Wren"]

Isla remained crouched low, her expression calm and thoughtful. Her eyes shifted in the direction of the family farm, even though it was not visible from where they stood. It would be easy to pick up and leave, for her only worldly possessions were already upon her back. And her family, they would be better off without her –she was only a burden to them now. If they woke the next morning to find her bed empty, they would think that she had been finally taken by the wolves that ran the woods. They would miss her able hands around the farm, but would not miss her strangeness.

Despite Anor Ren’s appearance, it did seem that these Knights of Ren were not savages. Whether or not she could truly fit in among their numbers would remain to be seen. But it was worth a try.

“I will go,” She nodded finally, her eyes shifting away from the distance and back towards the Knight of Ren. “Show me the way, and I will follow.”

Isla pushed up from the ground and stood to her full height.

"My name is Isla." She nodded to Anor. “What does it take to become a Knight of Ren?” She asked, ready to walk into the night, to walk away from the only life she knew.

[member="Anor Ren"]

Anor turned towards the direction of his ship and began to walk, beckoning the girl to follow him as she told him her name and asked him a question. He pondered this for a moment as there wasn't any real solid answer.

"To become a Knight of Ren, you will need to learn quite a few things. Some mentally, like discipline, knowledge, and how to control the Force within you. Some physical, like lightsaber combat, acrobatics, and how to manifest the Force to manipulate your surroundings." He started, thinking again for a moment.

"Speaking of lightsabers, as a sort of initiation rite to become a true Knight, every Disciple, which is what you are, will have to construct their own lightsaber, materials and knowledge of how to do so provided but us, but you will need to find and tune your own crystal." He finished, assuming that she had knowledge of such things.

[member="Isla Ashen"]

Isla’s gaze turned to watch as Anor’s shadowed form began to move in the darkness once more. She picked up her foot and took the first step towards her new life, following along a few paces behind the Knight of Ren. The young woman cast but a single glance behind, the image of her family home was growing smaller in her mind with each step. With her eyes set now on the horizon, she listened as Anor Ren provided her with the explanation she had asked for.

“It seems that I will have a lot to learn.” She remarked simply when he was finished.

Isla wondered for a moment what it would be like to attain these new skills. She was naturally a curious person, she learned best by doing things for herself. She hoped that she would not be locked away in a room to study. Isla had never been considered a good student, for she grew impatient very easily. As Anor Ren mentioned lightsabers, her brows rose slightly. It was a weapon she had heard of, but never seen for herself.

“Your lightsaber,” Isla pointed to the weapon in his hand, “Will you show me how it works?”

This weapon seemed most important; she decided that she would work towards this goal first. Her mind was already longing for the power it would bring.

[member="Anor Ren"]

Anor glanced at her over his shoulder while considering her sudden request to show her his lightsaber. He raised his hand from the confines of his cloak for her to see and activated it with a sinister snap-hiss as a crimson blade sprouted out of the metallic object, covering everything within a few meters in a red hue. The Ren waved it around a bit while it made a progressively louder humming sound the faster it went.

"The lightsaber, it has been the weapon of force-users for thousands upon thousands of years. More graceful than a blaster or a vibroblade, the weapon weighs virtually nothing except for the metallic hilt. It can cut through almost everything save for Mandalorian iron, a very durable metal; cortosis, which causes the lightsaber to short out; and finally Phrik, a nearly indestructible material." He said, raising the blade and illuminating the path for them.

"Lightsabers come in many shapes and sizes, the one I have is rather common except for its design, I only need one blade for dueling as a Praxic Knight and since I rely on Force powers. There are other styles, such as the double-bladed, the pike, the crossguard, the whip, every lightsaber is an expression of their creator..." He said trailing off as the forest went silent.

Anor listened for a moment and then suddenly raised his organic hand, shooting blue lightning out of it. The reason why was unknown until a wolf flew past him and landed, dead, it had obviously been running for him but he had sensed it beforehand.

"Try to manifest your powers and use them against the wolves, a hunting knife won't help if they come in force." He said as he made a horizontal slash with his lightsaber, another wolf flying by dead.

[member="Isla Ashen"]

Isla’s green eyes grew wide with wonder as Anor Ren’s saber illuminated their surroundings. The red light fell upon her too, and it was as though she could feel the power it held in its core. Her ears took in the humming sound that the blade made as it cut through the air, it was almost mesmerizing. For a moment her eyes shifted down to her primitive knife, it was a weapon that she could use well enough, and she imagined her transition to a saber. However, as she listened to Anor’s words, she also learned that these seemingly magical blades were not immune to all things.

For once in her life, lecture was proving to be beneficial, and she was interested. But the Knight of Ren stopped speaking suddenly, his words faded to silence. And then the woods around them seemed to come to life.

“Wolves.” She said in a hushed voice, knowing it was them before she could see them.

As she turned her gaze towards Anor, she was stunned to see his hand emitting a blue light. It crackled like lightening, and struck one of the wolves, a second later there was a crumpled body on the ground. Her knife had found its way to her hand, and she had to urge to run forward into the fight... even if she would come away bitten and bloodied. Anor’s voice found her again, just as her foot was lifting off the ground. Another wolf fell by his hand, this time cut down by his saber.

“I will try.” She said, hardly knowing how her own power would come.

In the presence of the Knight of Ren, she could feel the force within her, stronger than she ever had before. It was as though her body and mind were one now, acting without truly thinking... both of her hands shot forward, palms open and aimed in the direction of an oncoming wolf. Suddenly, she felt as though a wave had flowed from her hands, throwing the wolf’s body backwards. For a moment the poor creature looked like a stuffed toy that a child might carry, its body limp and useless as it went through the air. Isla watched as it impacted a tree, it moved slightly, but only just.

The remaining wolves turned tail and disappeared into the forest, too frightened now by their diminishing number. Isla looked down at her hands, never before had she imagined possessing such power - and this was truly only a taste of what was to come.

[member="Anor Ren"]

Anor watched gleefully as the girl used the Force to kill the wolf, such raw instinct could be turned into something unimaginable. When the wolves seemingly retreated, he continued to hold his saber up for light, muttering something about the damn things before glancing at her.

"Good work, you have taken the first step to becoming a Force-user, which is manifesting your power in a physical form that can manipulate your surroundings for your benefit or to hinder your enemies." He said as they reached the small clearing where he had landed.

He sent a signal to the ship through his helmet's HUD and the ramp lowered "This is my ship, we'll take it up to the star destroyer where you'll spend the night and then we'll head for Dosuun to begin your training." He said as he deactivated his lightsaber and clipped it to his belt, walking up the ramp.

[member="Isla Ashen"]

A wicked smile appeared at the sound of Anor’s praise, and it remained as the pair continued into the clearing. Isla could see the outline of the ship in the darkness, and she watched silently as the ramp lowered. As Anor Ren explained that they would soon be joining a star destroyer, her green eyes shifted skywards, as if she were trying to imagine where it was waiting for them.

“It will be a night spent in a metal box,” She frowned, “But it will do.”

She always had been a peculiar girl. Isla had been in her share of ships, and had even been to Dosuun a handful of times before, but she did not feel at ease during travel. There was a lack of control that made her insides squirm. The small, closed in spaces did not help her mood either. But maybe, she hoped to have a small viewport to see the stars.

Isla hesitated for a moment, her foot seeming held mid-step before she finally moved inside the ship. She had the feeling that the Knights of Ren occupied the great city in Dosuun, the place called their capital. However, she also imagined that they might take to a large cave, somewhere hidden from sight. Her head turned slowly, and she watched as the last sight of her home world became obscured by the ramp closing.

“Very well, [member="Anor Ren"].” She said, settling down into a seat. “Let us go.”

As the transport took to the sky, she kept her eyes closed as she left her old life behind. And now, she was speeding towards the unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom