Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Shiraya Falls: The Price of Freedom

salsoren_practice.gif

Bran_Div.png

BranBorder3.png
The worst part about prison was the loss of your connection to any sense of time. How much had passed? How long until you would see particular people? Had you slept all night, or just a few hours? The guard rotations had helped, but sometimes they pulled double shifts, or seemed to leave early, or stay late. It had actually become more exhausting trying to determine the time from their activities than not know in the first place.

So, he meditated. Searched his soul. Searched for his identity in the Force. What had he become in doing what he had done? Had he lost the right to be called a Jedi? He was certainly no longer in the running to be a hero. His childhood dreams had faded with his actions in recent months. At least he still had Cybelle.

A new guard entered the facility. The way he walked seemed to trigger memories within Brandyn. The young prisoner stood and walked to the force field. Glancing down the hallway to the man’s back, Brandyn watched. There was something different and familiar. This was not one of the normal guards that had met with him previously. What was he doing going to the comms room? That was not normal procedure.

Brandyn tensed, preparing to fight if necessary, preparing for anything. Brandyn knew who this was, and who they worked for. It seemed the Unblessed were here to finish what their old branding of The New Way had failed to do. Their operative and close family friend to the Sal-Sorens, Jaa Ardan Jaa Ardan , had come to kill Brandyn.

The key to infiltration, Jaa had learned, was to act like you belonged. Simple as. Look the part and act like you know what you're doing. Everything else was dressing and was one more thing to trip over.

So far so good on Jaa’s theory of not being noticed.

This was the first true test. Everything had up until this point been child’s play, just one foot in front of the other until he made it here to a closed door. Jaa looked at the keypad on the wall. He punched in the code that had been provided to him. Every tap on the keypad was timed to the ever-louder beating of his heart. With a faint pop and woosh the door to the comms room slid open and Jaa remembered to breathe.

The dimness of the corridor was thrown into sharp contrast with the overly bright white light emanating from the comms room. The scent of way too strong cleaning solution and way too burned caf assaulted the senses. It was like stepping into a whole new world, not just a different room. Sitting in a wheeled chair surrounded by monitors and control panels full of blinking lights was one lone guard who seemed far more interested in the data pad in his lap than the monitors around him.

The guard was dressed in the same regulation uniform as Jaa was. A drab gray number with too many pockets. The uniform Jaa had on belonged to a guard of the lowest rank. Meaning, he didn’t get to have a blaster on him lest he rouse suspicion and alert any observant faculty that he was an imposter. He did however have a thick baton made from duraplast.

Even though the man was seated, Jaa could tell the man was short. The guard was clean-shaven, pockmarked, bald on the top of his head with thin brown hair worn around the bald spot like a crown, and a gut. This guard did have a sidearm but he had left it lying on the edge of one of the control panels unconcerned with having to use it.

That’s probably a no-no.

“Who the hell are you?” The guard asked Jaa.

“Right,” Jaa said clumsily, “I’m supposed to relieve you, you know, give you a break.” Jaa gave the man a comforting half-smile.

The guard did not return the smile nor did he seem comforted.

“What the kark are you talking about?” The guard’s confusion was quickly turning to anger. “Who the hell are you?” He demanded again.

Shiraya’s breath, say something!

The voice in his head demanded.

“Look, C.O. Sent me down here mate. Take it up with them.” Jaa said, putting on a voice of exasperation.

“C.O.?” The guard asked with a tone of bewilderment that made Jaa incredibly uneasy.

“C.O.?” He asked again, “I’m the kriffing C.O.!”

Well, chit,

The voice in his mind sounded equal parts shocked and defeated.

That explains the blaster then.

Time to think of something now, Ardan.

“You’re the C.O.? Who the hell was that guy then?”

Thinking was not Jaa’s strong suit.

“Stay right there.” The balding guard said. He turned his head and pushed a button on the com console. Jaa’s stomach sank to his ass and his heart leapt to his throat. Jaa could hear a faint click from the console as a line of communication was opened.

Before Baldy could say a word, Jaa pulled the heavy duraplast baton from his belt and smashed it hard right onto the guard’s bald spot. A deeply sighed-grunt and a trickle of blood emanated from the man who was apparently made of far sterner stuff than Jaa ever would’ve guessed. The guard tried to say something but the words came out slurred and slow like the guy had a mouth full of honey.

What followed next was a brief but embarrassing struggle when Jaa literally dove onto the guard who had not been brained too hard to remember his blaster. The whole struggle lasted less than a minute and in that time Jaa managed to earn a swollen eye from an errant elbow, a bloody lip from a very purposeful fist, and a knot on his head from his own baton. In the end, however, Jaa was able to wrestle the blaster away from the guard. Two regretful pulls of the trigger later and Jaa was for the moment safe.

A crackling reminded him that the comms were still open. Jaa tossed the limp body of Baldy out of the way and knelt in front of the console. He buzzed the line and did his best to calm the situation.

"Everything's under control, situation normal!" Jaa said, trying to sound like he was telling the truth.

“What happened?” A tinny voice on the other end asked.

"Uh, had a slight weapons malfunction... but, uh, everything's perfectly alright now, we're fine, we're all... fine... here... now. Thank you. How are you?"

Jaa cringed. The voice on the other end offered to send a squad of guards down to see what was going on.

“Negative, negative…” Jaa said, “There is a reactor leak. A minor one but everyone should stay clear.”

“Wait, who is this?” The tinny voice asked. “What’s your badge number?”

Jaa picked up the blaster and fired at the console twice, leaving it a smoking ruin.

“Boring conversation anyway,” Jaa said to himself while rummaging through Baldy’s pockets looking for his key card. Once he found it Jaa scooped it up along with Baldy’s blaser, baton, and the baton Jaa brought on his own, stooped over the console, and using Baldy’s key card, Jaa deactivated the force field that kept the prisoner secure and rushed from the room.

Quickly Jaa was face to face with the man he’d come to see.

“Oy, mate, Not much time for a heartfelt, we’re gonna have company.” Jaa tossed one of the batons to Brandyn. Jaa kept the blaster for himself.

“Figured as a Jedi you’d be more comfortable with the non-lethal option. Although…” Jaa made a show of looking around the jail cell to make his point. “...Maybe that don’t trouble you so much, anymore.”

Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

He readied himself to fight. He would not go down easily. Brandyn knew to avoid close quarters lest he be injected by the so called cure. He also know to watch for second foes, not just be distracted by Jaa’s presence and the quickly rising anger he felt towards the man.

Brandyn used the force to correct the path of the baton, to his dominant hand and without even a moment’s hesitation he stepped forward into Jaa’s path knelt and hit the back of his knee.

”You should have killed me…”

Several more blows were wailed on the man, though likely blocked easily as Brandyn took the moment to vent his emotion towards the man. With each poorly aimed blow, Brandyn spat his accusation.

”…you…betrayed…my family…you New Way…filth…if should have…been you…that died…”

Annoyingly but not surprisingly, almost the moment the baton was in Brandyn's hand the Jedi turned around and used the weapon on Jaa. A blow to the knee knocked Jaa to the ground and several more whacks of the baton followed.

Precision seemed to be an afterthought as blow after blow came crashing down on Jaa. Most hit in places that hurt but would do no lasting damage. One errant blow from the baton did manage to slip past the meager defense Jaa was using and chipped one of his teeth.

Right. Nuff of this chit.

Jaa rolled onto his back Aimee the blaster he had taken from Baldy right at Brandyn's face and fired a stun bolt that would fly right past his old aquatintince's head.

"We're not gonna get too far if I gotta carry you out." Jaa said, trying to catch his breath.

Jaa stood, the blast still pointed at Bran. Jaa spat a glob of blood phlegm onto the floor.

"Listen mate, you want to kill me? That's…that's fine, you and I can work that out later, yeah? You and me got our problems and that's fine but right now let's focus on what we have in common. You love and hate your dad, I love and hate your dad. You want to get out of here, I want to get you out of here. And we both love Blaire."

"Brandyn. I think she's in trouble and not the usual kind she finds herself in. You don't want to come, I'll put you right back in that cell if that's what you want. You still want to kill me once we find her? I'd be happy to give you a shot but no more cryin when you lose, we're big boys now, yeah?"

"What's it gonna be?"

He stepped aside just enough for the stun shot to miss his head, though it did tickle his whisker. He got ready to strike again, this time with more intent, but Jaa said something about Blaire.

”What do you know about Blaire?” Brandyn said, eyes and nostrils flaring.

Still brimming with anger, Brandyn found himself cooling down with the decision put before him as had been done. He looked up at the security room, and then back down the hallway. They had only seconds to get moving, or they would be sharing neighbouring cells. This could work poorly for him. This could work out so that he would never see anything other than inside of a cell.

But for Blaire…

“…what is your exfil plan?”

Brandyn stepped away, and offered a hand to pull Jaa to his feet. His mind switching into escape mode, kill Jaa mode was simply on pause.

Jaa Ardan Jaa Ardan

“What do you know about Blaire?” Brandyn asked towering above Jaa, arm raised mid strike stopped only by the mention of Blaire.

“Not enough.” Jaa said. He lowered the blaster and propped himself up on an elbow. “All I know is where I left her and that she’s not there any more."

Jaa didn’t feel it was required to add that ever since The New Way rebranded the message, he was being iced out. Used on missions with ever decreasing importance, denied access to places and information that should’ve been well within his clearance. He’d actually come to terms that it was only a matter of time before they turned on him altogether. It was death or a cell for Jaa Ardan and it would happen sooner than later. Much sooner.

The one thing however they would not deny him was Blaire and there were probably no two people in the whole galaxy who had more experience or were more qualified to find what The New Way, no, The Unblessed, wanted to keep secret than Jaa Ardan or Brandyn Sal-Soren.

“…What is your exfil plan?” Bran asked, hand extended to help Jaa off the ground.

“I have to think of everything?” Jaa quipped.

The lift at the end of the hallway opened and out stepped six prison guards dressed in riot gear. Shields, batons, blaster rifles, the whole shebang.

“Help me! The prisoner is trying to escape! He took my baton!” Jaa called out to the newly arrived squad while Bran towered over him.

He spared Bran a glance just long enough to hit him with a wink.

Last edited:
Brandyn stepped back, still facing Jaa, but moving towards the new squad. His face clearly read as ‘I have no idea what you intended by this’ but Brandyn quickly weighed up his options. He couldn’t attack the guards. That was simply a no go. They had not done anything wrong. He was an escaped prisoner, or at least an escaping prisoner. If he did anything to harm a guard, he would be in so much worse trouble than he already was. No, Jaa had to be the one to do all of that.

Or…

Brandyn turned, baton hidden behind his back. A quick wave of his hand towards the guards seemed to be one in greeting, but it came along with some words. “The prisoner went to the control room…”

“We should check the control room,” came the reply from one of the guards from the back of the squad. He and one other pushed passed Brandyn and Jaa and headed further down the corridor.

“Your mind tricks won’t work on us, Jedi,” said the lead guard, two others still flanking him.

He stepped forward, shoving the sparking end of his baton into Brandyn’s stomach. Despite any possible attempt at retaining his composure, Brandyn’s muscles constricted and he convulsed violently as he fell to the ground and dropped the baton he had been holding.

Jaa Ardan Jaa Ardan

Jaa watched impassively as Bran fell to the ground shaking violently right in front of him after losing a confrontation with the business end of a baton. Inside, however; Jaa seethed. It was so typical. Typical of a Jedi but so specifically typical of Brandyn Sal-Soren, Jaa could find little anger for the order itself.

So concerned with your precious self-image.

Jaa thought contemptuously while Bran writhed on the floor. Where did that concern get the young Jedi? Seizing on the floor in excruciating pain with presumably chit-filled britches. Worse yet it left Jaa to do all the heavy-lifting.

Scrambling to his feet, Jaa said to the riot team,

"He should be brought down to be interrogated. I'll go collect our mind-touched friends, shall I?"

Jaa hoped the confusion and pressure of a near escape by an especially dangerous prisoner would buy him some reprieve from questions at the moment and he was not disappointed when no one made a move to intercept him.

The two guards headed to the control room moved oddly stiff, like a pair of protocol droids with gunked up processors.

"Wait a minute, there isn't any prisoner in here." One of the guards said as they crossed over the threshold of the comms room.

"Maybe that's him?" The other said, motioning to Baldy's corpse.

"You think?" The first questioned. The second guard responded with a shrug.

Wrong day to come to work eh boys?

Jaa thought, raising his arm. He gently squeezed the trigger on his blaster, twice for each guard and they dropped before the flash of red had totally left his eyes.

Watching the smoke billow softly from the bodies at his feet, Jaa wished they hadn't needed to die but sentimentality didn't see the job through. Someone had once told Jaa that it was easy to find something to die for, it was finding something you were willing to kill for that was and should be more meaningful. Jaa had The Cause and he had Blaire. Both were at stake now.

Muffled noises could be heard outside the comms room back down the hall. The remaining riot squad was probably not thrilled.

Jaa leaned the blaster out of the door frame and fired blindly down the hall. If his intel was accurate, Jaa bought himself sometime while the remaining guards scrambled into a defensive formation. Jaa ran over to the two downed men in the room with him and began pulling bits and pieces from them.

There was a soft clinking sound and a subtle hiss. In his hands Jaa held four primed and live tear gas canisters. He hurled all four down the hall toward Bran and the other guards hoping to provide Brandyn some cover to either take the guards out or make a break for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom