Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Shift Dominions to a Narrative Focus

Intent: To find a way to make dominions less “grindy”.

Dominions, I think, are viewed by most as a necessary evil. They can be so boring, long-winded, but we post to them to get another hex added to our blob on the map. In my opinion, most major factions have moved away from story and to effort- as long as you hit around 50 posts, you’re good. I can’t blame folks, because currently, that post count number is the easiest way to quantify the dominion rules. However, this can hurt faction story- small factions may find ways to draw it out to the point it stagnates, while larger factions hit this mark long before the story’s end due to a large group of people posting 2-3 times and you meet the requirements.

To get away from the numbers mindset, I suggest doing away with the effort category entirely and rewriting story rules, to put an emphasis on narrative over numbers game. While this sounds like a big change, I think telling a cohesive story requires much more effort than posting until you’re across the requirement threshold and dropping off.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

Once a Major Faction has posted a completed Dominion thread to the Map Update thread, an Admin will assign an RPJ to judge whether the thread meets the following criteria. The RPJ will sign the ‘Approval’ field in the Map Update template, or will contact the submitter if further work is needed.

STORY - Does the Dominion thread have a story (or group of stories) that makes sense and further faction or individual stories? Do these stories have an identifiable plot, conflict, resolution, or a clear break for continuations of plots? Do these stories expand on a location or factions lore or history? Spammed posts that offer little story will count against the faction.
REPRESENTATION - How well is the Faction represented in the Dominion thread? For example, if two members post the bulk of the thread back-to-back, the Dominion is unlikely to be approved without more work from other Faction members.
EFFORT - How much effort has the Faction put into the thread? As a general guideline, 50 average posts is an acceptable effort. A lower number of posts may be acceptable if clear effort has resulted in solid stories that reach a natural conclusion. Spammed posts with minimal effort will count against the Faction.

I propose adding two fields to the dominion thread for this. The first is just a yes or no question for if the story will be continued in another thread-- this is often the case for overarching plots, and will allow RPJs to determine if the resolution was appropriate based on the response. The second would be a summary of the story- This wouldn’t necessarily be telling all the actions taken in the dominion, but rather, a blurb setting the scene, events that may have led up to the story, and how individual stories might have impacted an ongoing narrative. Having this reference would take a load off the judges, since they wouldn’t have to keep track of all faction stories to be up to speed on how the dominion's story is relevant to the faction.

DOMINIONS
Hex Gained: (Please specify exact Hex coordinate)
Name Of The Faction That Won: (Fully name the Faction correctly)
Link To Dominion: (Insert Dominion Thread URL)
Number Of Posts The Dominion Has At The Current Time: (Insert Post Count Here)
Is this story going to be continued in a future thread?: (Yes/No)
Summary of story: (Please write a short summary of the thread and stories told.)

RPJ Assigned: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
RPJ Approval: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name and the date / time when it has been approved)
Added to Map: (Leave Blank, Admin will add name when added to map)

Last Two Years Of Data

10 Junctions - 1 page, 1000 posts 100/avg
35 Invasions - 3 pages, 8750 posts, 250/avg
12 Rebellions - 1 page, 1200 posts, 100/avg
670 Faction Threads - 33 pages, 13,200 posts 20/avg
315 Dominions - 16 pages, 15,750 posts, 50/avg

Just metering activity, these numbers are a little rough and averaged. I suggest small factions - or if factions hate Doms, or feel disadvantaged - do Junctions. By these numbers, within the next year, Junctions can and likely will easily cut into the Dominion butter. Especially now there is no longer a cap on them, factions do not even need to do Dominions to gain hexes PVE style.

The Faction thread vs Dominion thread is the most cathartic of the numbers to to look at, and it validates to me from an Administrative perspective what would happen if we did go Narrative focused, since Faction threads are by default and without any other reasoning for their existence, Narrative focused. It's popular, sure. A good format and every so often you hit a diamond in the rough. But for the most part, it's a sea of unfinished, 10-20 post threads.

To me, that doesn't breathe stability.

I do definitely want to hear from other members and factions, though. This has been a hot topic I’ve been pushing on Staff recently.

How do we crack the Dominion nut? Junctions were a solid start, and spurred by member conversation. We can do it again.

Last Two Years Of Data

10 Junctions - 1 page, 1000 posts 100/avg
35 Invasions - 3 pages, 8750 posts, 250/avg
12 Rebellions - 1 page, 1200 posts, 100/avg
670 Faction Threads - 33 pages, 13,200 posts 20/avg
315 Dominions - 16 pages, 15,750 posts, 50/avg

Just metering activity, these numbers are a little rough and averaged. I suggest small factions - or if factions hate Doms, or feel disadvantaged - do Junctions. By these numbers, within the next year, Junctions can and likely will easily cut into the Dominion butter. Especially now there is no longer a cap on them, factions do not even need to do Dominions to gain hexes PVE style.

The Faction thread vs Dominion thread is the most cathartic of the numbers to to look at, and it validates to me from an Administrative perspective what would happen if we did go Narrative focused, since Faction threads are by default and without any other reasoning for their existence, Narrative focused. It's popular, sure. A good format and every so often you hit a diamond in the rough. But for the most part, it's a sea of unfinished, 10-20 post threads.

To me, that doesn't breathe stability.

While numbers speak to themselves, I'd argue if rules such as these were implemented, the rate of finished stories would drastically increase in doms. In my time being an admin for MFs, faction threads have always been kind of a filler, but the importance has never been placed on them due to there being no needed post count or reward at the end. If a faction thread drops off, even if it's not important to the story, it's no biggy because you can handwave a resolution and continue on, or just not worry about it, period. However, if you actually have to write a coherent story that comes to some kind of ending to make your blob bigger, people will do that- because major factions want their territory to grow, most of the time. I'm guessing dom post count would drop to some extent, but it's kind of quality over quantity thing. Write an enriched story instead of worrying about numbers and still get your prize.

I suggest removing the 'benchmark' number of posts qualifying the dominion for completion, just like OP. At this point it is safe to assume that when a dominion near us 40-50 posts, stagnation hits and writers drop off. Some stories are finished, some are not. Granted, I do think this 'mentality' is best 'fixed' by writers themselves. I tend to nudge a writing partner to keep writing with me even when we hit this benchmark until we have a story resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom