Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Sharing, Not Caring

34864cff709c489548e0dc7afed490e7.jpg

"I'm telling you Master Jedi, those vile savages are behind all of this. Thinking they can ruin our company by spreading fear!" The man snorted, glass of red wine dangerously shaking in his hand. The events of the past few days had clearly upset him. The bright golden photoreceptors of the white protocol droid, shifted back to its owner, ready to translate the next series of hand gestures from the Sephi.

"Master Sinvala says that she will be meeting with the natives after the opening ceremony. If they have any part in the recent disappearances, the Jedi will take action." TC-41 responded in her stead. Most people who were unfamiliar with the Force felt uncomfortable in her presence once they found out that she spoke through telepathy, which made the protocol droid a good alternative to avoid unnecessary drama. The man nodded along with TC-41 as it spoke. "Good. The sooner someone apprehends them, the better." With a slight bow, Sakadi excused herself from her current company. Her eyes darted through the different circles and crowds, until she found the two figures she was looking for.

"I've found nothing useful so far. Everyone I spoke to blames the natives." Her disembodied voice echoed, audible to none but her fellow Jedi. It was difficult to find any leads that weren't based on the unwarranted hate of the company's shareholders. They had all gathered here today for the opening ceremony of their newest facility on Phaseera. It was a specialized facility, one focused completely on the mass production of droid brains. But no less than six days ago, the companies four biggest investors and shareholders had disappeared without a trace. They were men and women of importance to the Concord, which left the Jedi with no choice but to intervene and uncover what happened.

"I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to doubt that the culprit is among them."

Zakan Dan Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Zakan Dan

Z

Zakan was involved in a very heated debate with two shareholders. Well, very heated on the side of the two men, Zakan was just standing idly by and listening as the two ranted. “I mean it must be those savages, they’re trying to ruin us I tell you! Ruin us!” One of the men exclaimed, looking at Zakan as if he should be offended on the shareholders behalf. He only offered the human male a polite smile in response. “You have said as much.” he said dryly, the man had hardly said anything else since he had approached him fifteen minutes ago. The shareholder either didn’t notice his tone, or didn’t care as he nudged as his friend, ready to continue their never ending conversation. Zakan was quick to interrupt, not willing to stand by for another ten minutes of native bashing.​

“You have my assurance that the Jedi are taking this case very seriously. We are planning on meeting with the natives soon, and if they truly are the culprits we will be quick to take appropriate action against them.” He said, holding up one hand in a placating manner. The man nodded, seemingly appeased for the moment. “Good. It’s about time someone did something about them.” He said, nose high in the air as he stroked his feeble beard. “But Master Dan, let me tell you-”​

Zakan excused himself, as Sakadi’s disembodied but timely voice echoed through his head. He made his way over to her, though all he had to report were similar findings. “I would have to agree with you Master Sinvala, I’ve yet to encounter anyone who has said otherwise.” He mentally reviewed the information he had gathered in the last hour. “We may still be missing something, but perhaps the natives could provide more answers.” As much as he hoped that the shareholder’s bias was unfounded, he had little else to go off of. Perhaps there was a shareholder’s personal vendetta that they had yet to pick up on, but none of the shareholder’s he had talked to had expressed anything other than hatred and frustration towards the natives. “It does seem unlikely that anyone here would want to ruin their own work.” He mused aloud.​

This was not something he was looking forward to dealing with. Business folks. Executives, priority investors, board members. They were the very few individuals in the galaxy that could make the Sith look good. At least with some Sith they were what you expected them to be. Not back room dealers who'd sooner slit your throat for a paycheck bonus as they would congratulating you on having a child. Grant it, some Sith were like that.

Some Sith were company owners anyway.

There was one thing he was thankful for in his time in the Sith, that he certainly didn't think he would be until this moment. His ability to play nice and smile no matter how much he disliked the situation. Or even the people. Jedi were supposed to be above emotions, or at least able to st them aside to properly mediate. But these folks all complaining about the natives. People who have no where near the same amount of money and are likely vastly oppressed. Well, it made his stomach churn.

But he showed no such emotion. He smiled, talked, laughed. Kahlil fit right in without issue. Old habits die hard. Perhaps, though, that's where his value in coming along would be shown. Master Zakan Dan and Master Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala were both influential masters, well respected and well liked within the order and without. But people wouldn't let secrets slip in their company. A no name Knight who made good company? One particular comment nearly broke the facade.

Sakadi's voice in his head couldn't of come at a better time. Quickly the Epicanthix excused himself and went over to the two Masters. A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he cast a brief, very judgmental look to the larger human executive he had the unfortunate of speaking with. "I do hope it is untrue that the natives are behind this. These.. People. They've been looking for any kind of excuse to have them forcibly removed. The gentleman I just spoke to went so far as to say how pleased he was with this turn of events. They're already going to use this for some sort of propaganda to try and get the natives removed, responsible or not."

Sakadi would fold her lavender arms as she listened to her fellow Jedi, who seemingly had just as little success. "Apart from their opinion on the natives, there's little they do not try to hide from us." Her attention was briefly drawn to the waiters and waitresses who walked by, each carrying a plate of exotic appetizers. "I can't properly probe their minds either. They have too many secrets, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack." She admitted. Even the guidance of the Force was not enough to provide her with leads. They could attempt to speak with the natives, but the Jedi Master feared that their visit would only worsen the relations between the company.

"What if there are multiple parties involved?" While she was certain that the natives had nothing to do with this, there were of course other groups to keep in mind. "What about rivaling companies? Or is that too far fetched?" Thinking out loud had a whole different meaning when it came to the Sephi. Her jaw remained shut and her lips rarely if ever moved, but the trail of projected thoughts was never ending.

"Did any of you speak to the waiters, or the newly appointed foreman?" Businessmen were businessmen. They were cunning and hard to read, but their personnel much less so. There was a slight chance that the foreman or the waiters had any 'inside' information. But it was a chance she considered worth investigating.

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble Zakan Dan

Zakan Dan

Z

Zakan pondered Sakadi's questions. “In my experience nothing is too far fetched when it comes to these...businessmen.” He figured that was the nicest way to call them. These people could be such rampant criminals in the name of business. “A rival company, do we know of any notable ones?” It could be a best case scenario if a rival company was the culprit, because there would definitely be clues left lying around somewhere. If a high profile group wanted to pull a job where they were to physically kidnap their rival high profile employees, that required a lot of planning. And planning meant people. Stockholders didn’t do their own dirty work, they outsourced. Contractors, mercenaries, moles, the more people that were involved, the more traces and loose threads that would be left to pull.

He committed to memory the leads they had so far. Right now it seemed unlikely that this was an inside job, or someone from this company. Rival companies could’ve played a hand, maybe they even outsourced it to a group that was currently unknown to them. Though they had yet to find anything that pointed in that direction, it was worth checking up on. The new foreman was notably suspicious, this was a strange time to be hired into a company. And, if all else failed they could go and speak to the natives. Zakan doubted they had anything to do with it, no matter what the shareholders insisted. But as a last resort, maybe they would be able to provide some leads.

“I did attempt to speak to a couple waiters, but they weren’t terribly forthcoming. Some didn’t seem to appreciate being interrupted during such a busy time, understandably of course. We may have to catch one on break, or perhaps we are not the type of people they would be willing to speak to.” He tilted his head and scanned the room as if something had just occurred to him. “However, I haven’t spoken to or seen the new foreman yet. What about you?” He said, turning towards Kahlil. He hadn’t been introduced to the knight before this mission, but he had heard much about him. Zakan would be interested to see how he would handle himself on this mission.

"I haven't either, unfortunately. They are indeed very busy, and I think they're trying to avoid getting in trouble. If this crowd is as.. Invested as I expect, they could very well loose their jobs if they talk too long. Bothering the important people, as it were." Kahlil sighed, glancing around the room again. It was like staring at a flock of vultures, all waiting to pick the bones clean of whatever was unfortunate enough to show weakness in front of them. "I think the foreman would be the best to ask. Of all the people here, he holds the most to loose. Especially if the Natives are able to make a case to get them to stop construction. We should talk to the natives before anyone else, see where they stand?"

Zakan Dan Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala

"None by name." What she added to the conversation was quickly shot down by none other than herself. While it might very well be a rivaling company, no notable name came to mind. All the files and reports she had read on the facility's construction, board members, shareholders and investors had mentioned other companies, of course, but not had struck her as having the means to make people 'disappear'. Perhaps it was something personal after all. But in that case, the man or woman responsible had to be here, at the opening ceremony.

Her lilac eyes studied the Knight as he spoke. She had seen Zakan in the halls of Kashyyyk and Commenor before, although those were rare occasions. But she knew very little about the Knight who accompanied them. Which was strange, considering his surname. A name that spoke volumes, even to the scavengers of Jakku.

"I agree. All four investors were last seen here, on Phaseera. While it is highly unlikely that the natives were behind their disappearances, they must've seen something." It was almost unimaginable that no one had witnessed these events. Even private contractors could not possibly have snuck past the natives without having been noticed. "There are a few villages close by as far as I'm aware. I think we can be there in an hour by speed-" her telepathic link was broken by microphone feedback, which howled over the speakers.

"Test... Test... Is this thing on?.." She turned her head in the direction of the sound, recognizing the man she had just been talking to. He stood on a small podium, wine glass still in hand and microphone in the other, his smile bigger than what she considered to be healthy. "Ah, it's working. Alright, welcome everyone!" He began as he captured the attention of most people present. "It's good to see that, despite our recent troubles, so many of you showed up this evening." The only ones who still moved through the room were the droids and waiters, silently handing out drinks and appetizer to anyone who seemed empty-handed. "The ceremony is starting... If we want to leave we should do so now." Her disembodied voice echoed. Before she would subtly make her way to the exit, she would wait for Kahlil and Zakan's answers.

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble Zakan Dan

Zakan Dan

Z

Zakan watched apprehensively as the ceremony started. “Yes, I agree. Let’s make our way out of here before we are missed.” He began inching towards the exit, while trying to keep an eye out to if anyone looked too invested in their leaving. As far as he could tell, everyone else seemed absorbed with the ceremony's speaker at the moment, and he quietly made to slip out once he was sure Sakadi and Kahlil were with him.

As they made their way towards the exit, Zakan spoke. “So how do you think we should approach the natives? If we are careless here, we may do more harm than good.” The question wasn’t addressed to anyone in particular, but he was curious to see what the knight would say. He valued Sakadi’s thoughts too of course, and he had his own, but he wanted to hear what Kahlil would say first. The question was almost a little test. Not the type of test with a right or wrong answer, but a way for Zakan to get a read on Kahlil, and test how he liked to act.

Kahlil just gave a nod at the mention of slipping out of the room. He didn't want to have to remain any longer in this room than he had to, and it seemed Sakadi Marathi Sinvala Sakadi Marathi Sinvala and Zakan Dan were of like minds. He listened to the question, half expecting the Master's to be speaking among themselves. But as he looked to Togruta and realized the Jedi was watching him the Knight couldn't help but clear his throat. Nervous ticks, and he had a lot of them. His brow furrowed for a moment as he mulled over the question.

"The people here are expecting us to go and arrest the natives, regardless if they're responsible or not. They're also looking for an excuse. If we go and we don't return soon enough, they might take it as reason that we were kidnapped as well. Likewise, I imagine the Natives will assume we're there to arrest them. Or at least, we should be prepared for that. Their homes are being taken, and it's likely they fear what we do will cost them more." He didn't answer the question, instead stating the facts out loud so he might be able to think better.

"We should approach them for their assistance. They know this world best. And by helping us find the kidnappers, they'll put themselves in a better light that these people can't twist."

Despite his question being aimed at no one in particular, it was evident to the Jedi Master that he expected Kahlil to answer it. Therefore, Sakadi would remain silent. Instead she took it upon herself to guide the other two to the exit of the large hall.

The adjacent corridor, just like the rest of the facility's upper levels, was adorned with various holographic blueprints of the corporation's best selling and most efficient droid components. At least that was what she assumed, for she saw no other reason why anyone would hang the blueprints of droid brains and photoreceptors on their walls. The right wall of the corridor had a few transparisteel windows that gave potential guests and executives a clear view of the site.

The corridor was mostly empty, except for a dozen SE8-waiter droids, who nearly bumped into the group of Jedi. The Sephi stepped aside, allowing the droids pass. They paid no mind to her, however, striding past the Jedi without slowing down or a simple "excuse us" like a service droid was usually programmed to do.

Her gaze remained fixed on the droids as they made their way to the hall. "I have a bad feeling about this..." Her remark was followed by more echoing metallic footsteps, coming from the same direction as the waiter droids. This time, however, the droid models that came around the corner were no service droids. No, the three Jedi in the small hallway were met by eight type-1 security droids, each of them armed with a blaster rifle. Her hand instinctively moved to the metal hilt clipped to her belt, although she made no rash moves just yet.

"A very bad feeling, to be precise."

Zakan Dan Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Zakan Dan

Z

Zakan nodded approvingly at Kahlil’s answer as the group of Jedi continued moving down the hall.

“I agree. Though I wouldn’t go so far as to assume that the narrative surrounding the natives would change. Even if they did help solve this case, one good thing is unlikely to change these shareholders minds.”

It was an unfortunate truth that he had learned over the years. People liked to cling tightly to their prejudices, and one good act would not be enough to convince them to let go of the way they had been thinking for years.

Zakan stepped aside to allow the waiter droids to pass through. He watched them pass without much interest but his expression deepened to a frown when Sakadi’s voice drifted through his head. As the security droids came marching around the corner he spoke up softly.

“I would have to agree.”

His hand hovered over the hilt of his lightsaber but following Sakadi’s lead he didn’t make any moves, yet. His eyes flicked wearily back and forth between the hall the waiter droids had disappeared down and the blasters of the security droids. “Something is wrong. What should we do?” He questioned, low enough so only the two beside him could hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom