Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Shapeshifter Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Image Source: N/A

Intent: Personal armor commissioned by and for the use of [member="Laguz Vald"]

Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/66157-rcfc-rd/?p=989788 Starts there, goes down for ten posts
Manufacturer: Rusty's Custom Firearms and Cutlery

Model: N/A

Affiliation: Whatever [member="Laguz Vald"] is.

Modularity: A certain amount of modularity is built into the armor. If, for instance, the customer gets their hands on some higher quality armorweave through legitimate means, I could upgrade the panels.

Production: Production: Unique

Material: Memory latex, spidersilk elastex (http://starwarsrp.net/topic/66720-spidersilk-elastex/), durasteel, datapad components, electromagnets, rare earth magnets, armorweave, belligerence

Classification: Anti-blaster with limited anti-ballistic properties

Weight: Somewhere around 5kg

Quality: Class 4

Special Features: The armor is designed to give the customer, a shapeshifter, as much protection as possible at a variety of sizes and body types.

Description: Modular armor designed for use by a shapeshifter.

The armor is built around the idea of providing a shapeshifting assassin limited protection from blaster fire in the small arms range. Long story short, it uses a series of armorweave panels, not unlike the Kevlar inserts in bulletproof vests to provide as much coverage as possible over a wide variety of shapes.

The major areas (chest, back, sides, thighs, and so on) are covered by anchor panels. Each anchor panel is fitted with a series of electromagnets. There are also a series of expansion panels that are attached to the bodysuit at one end. They attach to the anchor panels via strips of durasteel ribbon that adheres to the electromagnets. When the customer shapeshifts, they use the wrist-mounted datapad included to deactivate the electromagnets allowing the suit to expand or contract as needed. When the shift is over, they key in another command, which will activate the appropriate series of magnets.

The armorweave in question is a common variety designed to stand up to limited blasterfire. Unlike higher grade armorweave, it will burn out after sustained fire, and cannot withstand a lightsaber. It is not rated against heavy blasters.

The panels are a designed for a balance between flexibility, protection, and weight. The armor is fairly light, and the protection level reflects this. Due to the nature of the expansion panels, different body sizes are afforded different levels of maneuverability and protection. At its smallest, the wearer is afforded the most protection, but the armor is stiff and unwieldy. At its largest, the wearer has only limited protection, but will be relatively unencumbered.

There are some drawbacks to this design. From personal experience, I'm keenly aware that latex-like materials don't breathe. It's very easy to overheat while wearing the stuff, and for an assassin, that's not a good thing. With that in mind, I incorporated sections of less flexible but more breathable cloth in low stress areas of the bodysuit to allow for heat exchange. However, at its smallest size, those sections will more or less be completely covered by armorweave, limiting their effectiveness. Extended periods of exertion will lead to heat exhaustion.

The electromagnets give off a faint but detectable electric signature that can be picked up by sufficiently sensitive devices. They can be deactivated to avoid detection, but that negates a large portion of the armor's support mechanism. Trying to move much like that would be hilarious for a few moments, and then likely fatal.

In the event of a dire emergency, the customer will be able to initiate a self destruct that will drop all the panels, leaving the only the bodysuit. In this state, they are afforded no protection whatsoever. However, the bodysuit by itself could pass as a fashion statement, so they might be able to mingle in with the crowd and escape. Once the self destruct is triggered, however, they'd have to bring it back into the shop to be rebuilt.

Rusty said:
Weight: Somewhere around 10kg
The armor is made out of armorweave, which is basically a leather-like material. I think you are perfectly fine lowering this to like 4-6 kg.

Rusty said:
Material: The bodysuit that holds everything together is made out of flexible materials that can expand and contract with the wearer, to a certain extent. The armor portion is made out of panels of armorweave.
I need to know all materials used in this submission, not just the armorweave portion of the armored planes. You mention durasteel and a datapad, so Durasteel and Datapad components would work, along with the already mentioned Armorweave.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Lily Kirsche Kuhn said:
I need to know all materials used in this submission, not just the armorweave portion of the armored planes. You mention durasteel and a datapad, so Durasteel and Datapad components would work, along with the already mentioned Armorweave.
Alright, let me start off by sincerely apologizing for the pun I'm about to make.

The material for the bodysuit was a bit of a stretch. I couldn't find anything on Wookiee that exactly met the needs of the suit, so I extrapolated a bit. We know that there are various "memory materials" today, materials that can be subjected to stress and still retain their shape. The science is still in its early phases, but I'm fairly confident we'll have it cracked by the time we build FTL spaceships. With that in mind, I came up with the idea of memory latex. The cloth is basically the nylon as seen in tights, only it doesn't run, because Star Wars.

Is this acceptable?

Lily Kirsche Kuhn said:
The armor is made out of armorweave, which is basically a leather-like material. I think you are perfectly fine lowering this to like 4-6 kg.
Done. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom