Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Shadow of Rebellion

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Feriae Junction - City of New Junction
Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Feriae Junction had changed in the ten years since it had fallen back into the control of the Braxis family and the Red Legion. The coastal city still had its scars from the long Civil War though. Fort Tefka had been destroyed in the early stages of Hawke's Uprising, the Sith had no tolerance for rebels and had obliterated it from space. Besides that, the Great Wall that had protected the city from ground invasions, though repaired, still bore scorch marks from orbital bombardments and artillery strikes from both the Sith and later the New Imperial Order when they - when Melvain had returned to take back his home.

The Sith had made some improvements since he'd headed off to university and subsequently kidnapped from Coruscant University. The capitol building, though brutish and square with hard edges and sharp lines like most Sith-Imperial buildings had been filled with the opulence of the Empire, no doubt to placate Hawke while his son was put through Sith-Imperial boot camp and Officer training. He wouldn't lie, it made a great venue for parties and wine tastings. They'd also greatly improved the dock's infrastructure as well as the space port. They had really taken advantage of Feriae Junction's past as a Mandalorian military world.

But now, as he looked over his city, his home, as a newly appointed Moff he wondered why on a day that was supposed to be filled with sunshine, the perfect day for day on the yacht with that Devaronian woman he'd seen at his last party, a shadow had fallen over his city. His annoyance grew to awe and then stone as the ever recognizable shape of the NIV Ferrata cast its shadow on New Junction. Upon coming to the same realization Robert dropped his glass of wine, the glass shattering on the stone balcony.

"Alert the garrison, ready my armor, and prepare a shuttle. We'll need to meet the Lord Imperator."

DjqGXyQ.png

5IuB7N9.jpg

The starport was a hive of activity as shuttle traffic was halted and TIE flights began screaming overhead to keep the skies safe. The unexpected visit had caused more than a few angry ship captains to end up in the local jail as disputes became more time-consuming than they were worth. The docking bay that was normally reserved for Melvain and his guests was on lockdown, the black tiled room lined with a good portion of the local garrison's Stormtrooper legion. Rows upon rows of stormtroopers stood at attention to either side of the shuttle as it hissed and whined. Melvain along with Robert and two of his generals were also present. Clad in his white Imperial Knight's armor, he stood in the center of the muster, waiting for the painfully slow ramp to extend and open. At the first glimpse of the Lord Imperator, he closed his fist over his heart in a salute. All in the room save for the Red Legion generals and Robert followed suit. The resulting boom of boots on plasteel and gauntlets on betaplast that echoed through the hangar brought pride to Melvain.

"Lord Imperator, welcome to New Junction," he began, but grew silent as the menacing mask of Rurik Fel became front and center for his attention. It was hard not to stare at the mask. There were dozens of rumors as to why he wore the mask. It added an air of mystery and a feeling of dread in the pit of one's stomach. Melvain swallowed. Hard. He stammered over his next words, trying to regain his composure. "We weren't expecting you, however, a shuttle awaits to return us to the capitol building where we are having a room prepared for you as I speak."

JhDR2Xl.jpg

E M P E R O R
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
THE IRONCLAD

Melvain Braxis Melvain Braxis
Divider.png

In his leave from direct battlefield command in the Third Imperial Civil War- the Emperor took to governing his vast state at the highest importance. As much as it was the pride of the Empire that their leaders would march ahead of their troopers into the fiery maw of war- Rurik would not hold the same failing as his predecessor did. Tavlar was an excellent ground force commander, one of the best. While he could diplomatically maneuver himself more proficiently than Rurik could, the man admitted to the then Executor directly that he had little love for governing the state. While it is hardly the Emperor's place to take direct command of each and every policy and action being executed within the Empire- a presence need be kept. An oversight to see through that his vision, his will be done.

Feriae Junction was one of the last worlds seized by the Empire in the string of conquests through Sith Imperial Remnant space, ever endearingly referred to as- The Iron Ring due to its geopolitical positioning being all but an isolated pocket between Bastion and Yavin of Sith Imperial remnants cut off from their overlords on Kaas while still warring the Empire down to the last.

It was a long, strenuous process- one that could not be so indiscriminate as the Empire's Pentastar Campaign or their military actions against the Sith worlds proper being that each world would be in turn brought into the fold of the Empire. Junction, as many other worlds were a vindication to that gentler hand's approach.

Or at least, Rurik hoped it would be.

The hydraulic smoke and air decompression from the shuttle misted out as the landing ramp slowly lowered down to the durasteel floor beneath and the silhouette of Fel appeared, buried in his argent cloak and cowl he emerged, his pale eyes peering out from beneath the iron visage that contoured comfortably to his twisted and tortured features beneath.

He motioned a hand up after he was saluted to bring them all at ease before speaking up once to address the assembled military personnel.

"I humbly accept the welcome- certainly on such a short notice, the display of might and loyalty is not lost on me nor is it lost on the Empire. We all know the strife, the sacrifices that Junction has had to endure. It is not forgotten. You all have my gratitude for all that has been done to contribute to the Empire and bring this world back to its once glory and for the duty to do that has yet to come." Rurik said- his voice sounding ever strained and painful in each word, briefly speaking to all of them before his attention centered on Braxis, his piercing gaze locking with the Knight's from beneath the unnerving metal visage of the Emperor.

"Worry not- the Ferrata shall serve well enough. I shall not strain the resources of your people to accommodate my visit without notice. Nor shall I be staying long." Rurik remarked, ever speaking in the vocabulary and terminology of his brief, but never the less influential noble upbringing in Serennoan nobility. As the two began to make their way from the hangar bay, his eyes flicked between the Crimson Legion's command as they walked, each step of the Emperor's booted footfalls leaving a metallic echo in each pace.

"But I did not pluck this world by accident, Knight Regent. I oversaw Operation Righteous Claim myself, as strategic and necessary an action it was by the Empire. And thus- your actions in orbit of Kuat have not gone quietly." He remarks before soon enough they were guided into the belly of another shuttle, followed only by Rurik's personal guard of Imperial Knight-Sentinels which shadowed him in argent silence as they sat in the transport bay of the shuttle.

"I seek those who willfully serve the Empire...and not those who would have the Empire serve them." He stated.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Shadow of the Emperor

"I humbly accept the welcome- certainly on such a short notice, the display of might and loyalty is not lost on me nor is it lost on the Empire. We all know the strife, the sacrifices that Junction has had to endure. It is not forgotten. You all have my gratitude for all that has been done to contribute to the Empire and bring this world back to its once glory and for the duty to do that has yet to come."

There was a ripple through the crowd as individual whisperers spoke to their neighbors and commented on the praise they'd been given. Robert and the generals looked to one another, worried looks on their faces before finally nodding and deciding to emulate the salute. Melvain though was petrified and rooted in place. The gaze of the Emperor's steel grey eyes was cold as a neutron star and bright as the silver lightsabers they wielded in battle. What was he searching for in Melvain's own eyes? Surely he didn't think-

"But I did not pluck this world by accident, Knight Regent. I oversaw Operation Righteous Claim myself, as strategic and necessary an action it was by the Empire. And thus- your actions in orbit of Kuat have not gone quietly."

Robert gavve Melvain a sharp look. Technically, the Crimson Command hadn't been ordered to Kuat. Melvain had heard of the operation through the grapevine of informants and friendly commanders he had built relationships with and had made the move on his own. The Crimson Command herself was still in deepdock repair from the battle and he'd lost more than a few of the TIE drones graciously given to him by the Empire. Was this to be retribution for his actions? Melvain felt a cold sweat begin to develop on the inside of his gloves as he forced a smile.

"Of course, Emperor Fel." He cleared his throat. "Right this way."

DjqGXyQ.png

Hawke Braxis had some say in the design of the new capitol building. That was obvious from the internal design of the hallways designed to bottleneck intruders, the paneled floors where the seams outlined deployable cover, and most noteably, the doors to the office suite and the Regent's suite. Made from beskar, the heavy doors would take a beating from anything, even a lightsaber. They had been a gift from one of the previous Manda'lor and he had apparently insisted they remain. He'd heard that the door to the Emperor's own office was of a fine wood. He wondered who had been the designer on that choice. Not even Mandalorian Iornwood? A mystery indeed.

It was awkward being in this space, a space where often he held the upper hand and all the cards, and to not have anything. The Emperor was here now and Melvain a loyal subject. A Moff of a mediocre Imperial world to be sure, but still only a subject.

"You hinted at it on your arrival, but with what do I owe the pleasure of your visit Emperor Fel? Has some quota not been met or our men not up to the standards of the ISB?"

JhDR2Xl.jpg

E M P E R O R
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
THE IRONCLAD

Divider.png

"No- such an infraction would not demand my presence." Rurik iterated, waving a hand to ease any anxieties over the matter. He could hardly devote the mental or logistical ability to directly impose himself in such matters. If the ISB had an issue with another operating organ of the Empire, driving it to the top immediately would've only served to draw scrutiny from the Emperor.

"It would be dishonest to claim that the Empire has come upon a time of prosperity, peace, ease of living...anything of the sort. Still- the perpetual threat of darkness and chaos threaten us day by day. But...unfortunately, not all of our adversaries are external threats- Knight Regent." Rurik remarked.

"To me, in my perspective- there is no greater cause or entity to devote one's self than the Empire, I can not fault others for seeing differently...but that is not the truth in relation to many of your peers, the other Moffs who rule over worlds countless beneath the Iron Sun."
He admitted, perhaps a dangerous admission- to not only acknowledge the plentiful and differing private interests that existed within the lungs of leadership within several vassal worlds- but a necessary truth to spell if he was to gain trust with the Knight Regent.

"Do tell me- Knight Regent. What is it that compels you to fight for our Empire?" He asked in rather simple terms.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Shadow of the Emperor

But...unfortunately, not all of our adversaries are external threats- Knight Regent."

Melvain flinched. The ice in his voice, but also the sadness, was profound. This man truly loved the Empire and believed in what it stood for. He had a suspicion that was why the older and more experienced Knights had rallied behind him when he took the throne. His thoughts turned to Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku and he knew he had the same love for the Empire but he also knew that he was likely one of the Moffs he was speaking of.

"Do tell me- Knight Regent. What is it that compels you to fight for our Empire?"

It was no secret that Melvain lived a rather extravagant lifestyle. WIne and whiskey were his weakness, along with women and robes. At the end of the day though, Melvain would give it all up in an instant if it meant his home was safe for a thousand years. He had given up that life when he joined the Imperial Knights and sworn his oaths.

"Under the Empire," he started, uncertainty in his voice, "Junction has flourished. It has been rebuilt and the chains of the Sith cast away. I see what living under the Empire has done for me and my people and I see what it has done for others." He paused and looked at his gauntleted hand and flexed it open and closed, his resolve solidifying.

"I feel the darkness too. Its like a dark cloud, obscuring the Force and muddying the judgment of our estranged cousins in the Alliance. It seems to have smothered our neighbors in the SIlver Concord as well. Chaos reigns in the Galaxy and the Sith are on the rise again. I refuse to be chained by them once again. By the fear they perpetuate or the burning fire of their oppression. It is clear that the Empire is the only path forward for the Galaxy. If I can aid the Empire in sharing the prosperity of Junction then I couldn't be happier."

JhDR2Xl.jpg

E M P E R O R
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
THE IRONCLAD

Divider.png

Rurik nodded once along with the man's sentiment in understanding. He'd hoped the man was truly genuine in his approach and his beliefs- but too often did he stare down others who mouthed similar sentiment. He could only trust in the man's nature- in the Oath he vowed as a Knight that he spoke true.

But there was no one who truly thought the Empire was a perfect state, a perfect union of worlds and peoples.

"I could not put it better myself, Knight Regent. But even so, the Empire is not an ideal entity, imperfect by every stretch. Such is the nature of us mere mortals. But an Empire- by definition, is an entity that serves the Imperial. That is the philosophy by which this state was founded upon and that is the mandate which I intend to enforce and make stand true across all the lands touched by the Iron Sun." Rurik stated with conviction.

"But the interests of the people of the Empire are not the priority of all who hold power within it. Of course, that is once more- the nature of mortals. It is only natural for one to act in their self-interests...and in many ways, I do not oppose it. So long as those interests align with the people they serve. if they do not, they have little room within the places of power of our Empire...would you agree?
" He asked, arching a brow beneath his iron visage. Though of course, his metal face only served to severely dampen whatever true expression lay beneath.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Shadow of the Emperor

Melvain shifted uneasily, swirling the glass of wine he realized that he was suddenly holding. A serving droid had walked in and he'd absently taken a glass. The droid now had waddled over to the Emperor, the tray balanced perfectly on its ears. He looked down into his glass. It was a Galidraani vintage, light purple and it smelled of some fruit he'd never had before but knew to be Jogan fruit. He took a sip to calm his nerves.

"I do," he said, swirling the wine again, "But you can't be saying what I think you're saying. Moffs and the old Warlords? Against the Empire?" It was crazy. Or at least, he'd like to think it was crazy. The words of his friend and the current Grand Moff of his Oversector rang clearly in his mind. No, he had just been upset by something. Some woman, maybe even that Jedi one, Auteme Auteme . That had to be it.

"Rebels I understand, there's plenty of old Sith Imperials hiding in the muck, too proud to give up the war, and just like at Kuat those...Alliance hounds attempting to undermine the very fabric of the Empire. But what you speak of is..." What? Was he really going to tell the Emperor that he was insane? Overly paranoid? When he knew that the sentiment was there in one form or another? He clenched his fist and held his tongue. It wasn't his palce.

"What will the Empire do with such people?"

JhDR2Xl.jpg

E M P E R O R
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
THE IRONCLAD

Divider.png

"It is difficult to say, but I could only assume such a thing. It is the natural course. Many work so hard to achieve greatness, to seize power and thus, they claim it as their own. As if it is a tangible, precious object to them and not a duty, a service, an obligation to something greater. There is no wealth in power, there is little that power could ever possibly do to make your life easier. No, it is a service one holds, accountability to something greater than themselves. " Rurik iterates.

"But such is not the nature of all men, many are content to serve- if it will better them. But few are so inclined to be content to continue to struggle once they've reached the top. I am not an endearing man, of this I am aware and I have no doubt the reforms I seek to implement will be met with abrasiveness, as a threat to the so cherished power that they have accrued...such is the nature that this culture and system of Warlordism has created." Rurik explains, breathing in a heavy breath.

"I would not be so bold as to outright accuse the nature of anyone, but I trust in your loyalty to the Empire and so, if I may indulge in a few questions." His steely gaze then shifted to the Knight Regent.

"My Half-Brother, Lucien Dooku. Are you familiar with him at all?" He asked, hardly in an interrogating manner and more as a curious inquiry.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Shadow of the Emperor

"He never told me he was the half-brother of the Emperor, but" he paused. "Yes, I am. I'd like to think we are good friends in fact." He wasn't sure how 'proper' it was for a moff to consider the Grand Moff of his Oversector to be friends but this whole system was new, to think the old friendships and alliances would just wash away...Well, he supposed that's exactly what the Emperor hoped for.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

E M P E R O R
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
THE IRONCLAD

Divider.png

"Good. Lucien is a good man, truly. He's led Imperials into battle countless times before...but I also fear for him." Rurik stated, carrying a shadowy weight to his voice as he spoke of his half-brother.

"I know he reviles my vision of Empire...and while no man's means of rule is perfect...I know he is someone who hardly stops at sentiment in his aims. Does Lucien trust and confide in you at all?" He inquired, arching a brow beneath the iron visage clasped over his disfigured features.

"Or perhaps I shouldn't evade what is my true concern. Rebellion. It is no secret to you or anyone else that such a sentiment is brewing across the Empire. Several names and groups have been identified and several terrorists have been apprehended. But the means and scale of these operations is...unknown. I fear that there may be those who had historically advocated for Warlordism that will feel threatened by the demands I laid out for them in the change of doctrine. That I have seen to it to consolidate the powers of the Empire to best serve its people...rather than the interests of the few. But I can only hope...my concerns are poorly placed." Rurik said, a tinge of solemn in his voice at the last remark.

JhDR2Xl.jpg

Sometime After Kuat
Rurik Fel Rurik Fel
DjqGXyQ.png

Shadow of the Emperor
Melvain stood there stunned. Was the Emperor really confiding in...Him?

"He-He does on occasion." He looked into his wine, thoughts swirling in his mind. Rebels had been a problem for some time now, be it Sith-Imperial remnants or the cursed Alliance traitors interfering with Imperial designs.

"If I may be so bold," he started, "Though my own fleet is small in compared to some of the Grand Moffs, Feriae Junction is deep in the heart of the Empire. The Crimson Command would be honored to cut out these traitors and rebels. As an Imperial Knight I am already dispatched across Imperial Space for such tasks and though I'm sure Compnor is digging into this issue, they can't move as quickly and openly as a small battlegroup to crush traitors to the Empire. My men are loyal and well trained."

And if they succeeded in crushing rebels en masse maybe he could convince his fool of a friend to leave his foolish notions behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom