Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holonet Senator of Coruscant Released on Bail

HNN News Update
Follow up to this event

m4r8yv7.png
"The recent arrest of Coruscant Senator, Achan Jaikavi, has sent shockwaves through the Galactic Alliance. Jaikavi campaigned on a more compassionate understanding of the rising anti-Jedi sentiment, with his victory speech outlining his intended agenda..."

The screen flicks to a recording of several months earlier at Achan Jaikavi's victory speech.

"...and finally, as I have promised from the outset of my campaign. In order to sustain a stable government, we cannot...must not...condone or accept violence, but honest complaint will always have my ear. With me, the disenchanted...disenfranchised...and disillusioned will have a willing ear. I cannot promise to change the galaxy, for I am just one man...but together...we can bring justice and fairness back to our beloved democracy. An Alliance for the good of all, for the protection of the vulnerable and powerful alike...free from corruption...free from power grabs...free for you and your children."

The screen flashed back to the presenter, a young Pantoran woman of no more than 30 years of age.

"Jaikavi's populist rhetoric has been roundly condemned as encouraging dissent and unrest, but his arrest has seemingly galvanized both supporters and detractors alike. We cross now to a live feed as we believe that Senator Jaikavi has just been released on bail and will be making a speech any moment..."

The image flicked an empty dais, microphone in place. Senator Achan Jaikavi stepped into frame from the left. His face was somber, eyes sunken and tired looking. Questions were being fired at him from every angle, but he raised his hand in an attempt to quiet the crowd. It only partially worked.

Leaning forward, he spoke into the microphone with a steady assured tone.

"The reports you have heard of me are mostly true."

There was a ripple of surprise at the apparent admission.

"Yes. I was arrested with suspected connections to the now disbanded terrorist group known as The New Way. No, it is not true. These suspicions have no merit. None, whatsoever."

Questions were launched at him again, but he waved them off as he continued to speak.

"Yes. There were communiques on my system from New Way operatives. No. They were not entertained. Yes, I did, at the time, report and coordinate with officials to ascertain their veracity and bring those that would commit violence to justice. The records bare this out."

He stood, resolutely not answering questions for a moment, before waving his hand again in a bid for silence. Again, it only partially worked.

"The accusations against me are a fabrication that have disturbing implications for the security of our democracy."

A question broke through in the tumult.

"Senator Jaikavi...are you a part of The New Way?"

"No," he said with a tired laugh, "any suggestion of such things is defamation. I think powerful people are scared of me and want my reputation destroyed."

"To be a Senator is to be among the most powerful...surely!?"

The question was one of many, but it was picked out from the crowd for answer. Jaikavi had the reporter repeat the question so it could be heard clearly.

"A power given by the people, I will remind you...we serve at their behest...but not all do...others serve their own agenda..."

Another question picked out of the noise was repeated.

"Do you mean the Jedi?"

"Who was it that arrested a Senator?"

"But surely their suspicions were well founded..."

The room was in an uproar. Jaikavi let it go on for a while, stepping away from the microphone to talk to an aide. The aide seemed to hand the Senator a datachit.

"I have nothing but respect for the office held by the Jedi. They have sacrificed much. They have given themselves for this Alliance. We can ask no more of them than they have given. And so I wonder, if it is time to ask a little less..."

Uproar again, but he spoke over it.

"...in my hand...I hold evidence that will prove...the reports filed...summarizing the rumours of my involvement with terror groups...yes, the very reports that were the grounds of my arrest...were filed...by a Jedi."

The noise was now intense, every reporter pressing for the next question. Calm was needed to prevent chaos from erupting. The Senator pointed out a reporter for them to give their next question.

"Senator...Senator Jaikavi...yes...don't you think that speaking like this will only fuel more anti-Jedi sentiment?"

"I campaigned on this promise...to fight for the average citizen of this great Alliance. That same average citizen has every right to ask...if they can arrest a Senator on fabricated accusations...am I next? All I desire is that the Jedi know and heed their place in our democracy. For they are not lords over this citizenry...but shepherds of our hard won peace and security.

This arrest has left me more energized than ever in my goals, because now I have seen...we have all seen...just how fragile our democracy really is. Thank you, and may the Force be with you all."

The camera flicked back to the presenter of the news bulletin who did her best to respond to the press conference and its details.

Feel free to respond as if watching this broadcast from afar, or in the room of the press conference. If you have a character that is a reporter, I am open to doing a sit down interview with your character.

Last edited:
Not typically one to indulge in the mind-numbing content of the Holo-Net, Arcadius found himself aboard a sluggish transport ship, returning from a routine check on the rebuilding of the Caridas pilot academy. With little else to occupy his time, he begrudgingly tuned into whatever news happened to be airing at the moment.

"The capital's in turmoil, how amusing," he mused to himself, deriving a perverse sort of joy from the chaos. Despite outwardly embodying the ideals of the Alliance and the Jedi, Arcadius made no secret of two distinct aspects of his personality. Firstly, he harbored a penchant for chaos, often instigating trouble just to break the monotony of the status quo.

Secondly, while others may claim to possess a moral compass, Arcadius preferred to describe his own ethical stance as a "Moral Roulette wheel," suggesting a certain unpredictability and fluidity in his principles.

Holly Starstorm was furiously pacing her apartment in Coruscant. She had her comm unit in one hand and seemed to be talking to her boss at Holo Net News.

"I just don't understand why you let her be the lead anchor for this story! It was MY tip that he was being released today!"

"Damn it Starstorm I can't give every assignment to you and besides it was your day off. You need to relax!"

"How can I relax! That Pantoran brat is stealing my story!"

"Whoa, calm down. People are going to think you have something against her people. You know her name, so use it."

Holly rolled her eyes and glared at the screen.

"Chief you know this was MY STORY!"

Holly actually stamped her foot she was so angry.

"Look.. the brass is all on me because they say I'm working the reporters too hard. It doesn't look good when you don't ever take a vacation or any time off. Take a few days and relax. Go on a vacation. Get a life."

"Right, I'll just do that!" She rolled her eyes and slammed the off button the comm unit. She went over to the refrigeration unit and opened it, but was so angry she slammed it shut.

"No way. That senator is going to blab to someone and it's going to be me!"

With that the disgruntled blond grabbed her keys and made for the front door. The people she passed in the hall gave her a wide birth as she was still muttering angrily to herself.

((Open for an interview thread anytime!))

Private Chambers | Nuns of G'aav'aar'oon

There wasn't much to do when one was in the nut house. One could only read so much self-help literature before they went more insane.

As such, Judah found himself watching GNN, Galactic News Network, on his datapad, propped up in bed when he was supposed to be sleeping. He was growing restless, wondering if his time here was really necessary. He wasn't held against his will, could easily leave at any moment. There was a boring monotony to his days that was starting to wear on him. There was so much more he could be doing. Judah was convinced a little distance and a lot of hard work out in the Colonies would sort himself out quicker than any meditation could.

Something to ponder on.

For now, he was munching on the last of the cookies provided by Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau , watching Sanderson Kooper 180 to cap off his evening. Suddenly there was a breaking news alert, Senator Achan Jaikavi Achan Jaikavi appearing on the screen. Judah didn't pay attention to politics, but he watched as the man gave a post-bail speech on the jailhouse steps.

The little ticker at the bottom scrolled by ...Sources report Senator Jaikavi was arrested by Valery Noble Valery Noble and Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble on obstruction of justice charges, among others....

The shaggy salvager immediately choked on his cookie, wheezing. He coughed, turning a little red, trying to regain some sense of how to breathe properly.

"Jedi CEO and Mr.Punch Happy arrested this guy?! I knew not to trust them...surprised this Senator fellow doesn't have a black eye..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom