Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Security Act [PASSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
skin, bone, and arrogance
The Ministry of Finance kept Aurelia very busy these days, but the recent security breach on the capital had her very rattled. Naturally, her security had been doubled and she was sleeping very little. Even worse, her cabinet colleague [member="Cecily de Demici"] had been brutalized by assassins in the melee, and the King of Onderon killed, the poor dear man. It was terrifying, simply terrifying.

So instead of sleeping, Aurelia had kept her staff late to draft new legislation that would hopefully assuage the fear and uncertainty that Aurelia and her senate colleagues were experiencing.

As the Senate came to order, Aurelia signaled her intention to submit a bill. When she was recognized by the chair, Aurelia rose and keyed her microphone on. "Thank you, Madame Prime Minister. I rise today on a matter of grave concern, but I pause to reflect with solemnity and gratitude that my right honorable friend the member for Onderon has returned to our halls. I believe I speak for all of my senate colleagues when I thank the powers that be and the Force that she has been returned to us." The Senator from New Holstice turned in her pod to face Cecily and bowed gently from the waist. "We have suffered a terrible tragedy with a strike against the very heart of our Republic." Aurelia raised her hands to gesture widely at the member for Onderon's pod before clutching her hands to her literal heart and turned back to the Senate as a whole.

Aurelia paused and gathered her notes. "This Republic needs time to heal, to examine itself and to come back stronger. To do that, we must be secure in the safety of our citadels of liberty, in the integrity of the democracy that we all hold so dear." The Senator inclined her head, watching the reactions of her fellow senators. "Unfortunately, I feel that we can no longer say that the integrity of our institutions go unchallenged here. I do not believe that we can be secure in the safety of our Senators and citizens after such a troubling and devastating breach in our security. The Sith have shown that the capital is within their grasp and that they are by no means afraid to close their grip. Yesterday it was the King of Onderon and our own beloved Minister of State. Tomorrow it may be the Senate itself."

"My concerns are two-fold. The people of Onderon have suffered a crushing blow. I believe that they have been to recover and recuperate, the same as us. And I believe that they can do so best without the added burden of Republic interference with their affairs. It is for both of these reasons that I propose the following legislation to temporarily move the Republic capital for the duration of the crisis, to a location that is more secure where we can rest assured in our safety and ability to legislate, and leave the people of Onderon to recover without undue pressures that come with hosting the Republic."

"Madame Prime Minister, I yield to the chair and reserve the remainder of my time."

Senate Security Act
WHEREAS, the Republic Capital has suffered an unspeakable violation with the assassination of a member world's head of state, and an attempted assassination of a Cabinet Officer of the Republic;
WHEREAS, as the bastion of republican democracy, the Republic Senate must stand firm and free and secure;
WHEREAS, the people of the Galactic Republic owe the citizens of Onderon a debt of gratitude for their service to Republic interests;
WHEREAS, the people of Onderon have suffered a terrible tragedy from which they ought to have time to recover free of the burden of hosting the Republic capital;
WHEREAS, the planet of Chazwa is a fortress world under Republic control;
WHEREAS, the planet of Chazwa has ample space and facilities that can be easily retrofitted to accommodate Republic government needs at limited cost;
WHEREAS, the King of Onderon and Onderon's Senator were and are loyal and tireless servants of Republican values of honesty, liberty, freedom, and duty;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that, to ensure the safety, security, and integrity of the legislative and administrative processes of the Galactic Republic government, the Galactic Republic shall, at its earliest opportunity, temporarily move its capital world to Chazwa.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that, to ensure the smooth and orderly transition and resettlement of the Senate and executive functions of the Republic, the Prime Minister shall, at her earliest opportunity, request what military resources may be necessary and proper.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Senate directs the Prime Minister to proclaim a Day of Rememberance for the fallen King of Onderon, on the date of his death.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Senate directs the Prime Minister to proclaim a Day of Thanksgiving for the recovery of Senator de Demici, on the date of her birth.
[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | @Aurelia Volcata | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

Geneviève Lasedri sat back with arms crossed as she listened to the formalities that Senator Volcata so excessively employed. It made for flowery speech and, honestly, kept the riffraff from understanding whatever was wished to go over their heads, so it had its uses. In contrast, Lasedri was quite obviously not known for the same habit. Some considered her less of a politician and more of an official for this reason--which was exactly how she might prefer to view herself. She was a warrior; a warhawk first and foremost. Most had become aware of that over the years.

But who needed politics in war? Then again, she had signed up for this job.

It was not so much the verbal presentation of the bill as it was the content of the bill that caught Gen's attention, however. She leaned forward and took generous study of the document. There was not much she could change about anything, being the chair and nothing of a legislator. However, the last couple of points in this proposal perturbed her slightly. Politics--there was always something political when run through the Senate, even in the most aggressive of military decrees. Oh, well. People could squabble over that when this war was over and Gen's job was satisfied.

Finally standing up to commence the debate, Prime Minister Lasedri spoke her 'blessings'. "The chair will consider this bill with the most in-depth of analysis. I hope the merits of this bill can be agreed upon with speed."

[member="Cecily de Demici"], [member="Sankt Yora"], [member="Faith Balor-Organa"], [member="Soliael Devin Talith"], [member="Ordon Trozky"], [member="Josef Levik"], [member="Lyra Arcturus"], [member="Danny Colen"], [member="Lady Kay"], [member="Macharius Solaire"], [member="Lionel Roux"], [member="Persephone Callas"], [member="Volko Hydori"], [member="Max Rumor"], [member="Aurelia Volcata"], [member="Valen Cerezo"], [member="Ned Rostu"], [member="Mark Crassis"]

Cecily couldn't get onto the floor fast enough. The Prime Minister had barely finished speaking when her own microphone squealed into life.

"Fellow Senators, with all respect and appreciation to my colleague from New Holstice, I rise in opposition to this bill," she began loudly, "the solution to the issue at hand is not for the Republic to flee. This will only show the Sith that we are weak. I speak for the people of Onderon when I say that our planet overwhelmingly refutes the supposition that the Republic has at all burdened us."

"As construction finishes on the current accomodations, it would cost BILLIONS of credits to relocate our capital again."

"The next time the Republic capital moves, it will be BACK TO CORUSCANT! I urge you all to vote no on this bill."

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

"Madame Prime Minister, I rise to express my sheer delight at seeing my right honorable friend the Member for Onderon in fighting form once more," Aurelia said magnanimously as she reclaimed the floor. "Though we may not see eye to eye on this matter, it pleases me, and the people of New Holstice, no end to see her back in the thick of it. I'm sure I speak for all of my senate colleagues when I wish her a continuing recovery."

"Unfortunately, all the camaraderie and collegiality in the world does not alter the facts. First, allow me to put at ease the minds of my colleagues as regards the finances of this arrangement. My right honorable friend throws around the word, billions, though it is unclear where she would have obtained such a figure. Indeed, the most conservative estimates -- that is to say, the figure that would be most expensive -- from the Ministry of Finance indicate a cost in the hundreds of thousands of credits. The Republic military can transport the Senate and its staff for no additional cost. There exist already secured facilities there that can accommodate all our operations and the planet is naturally defensible. Let us debate the merits of this proposal without resorting to falsehoods, if we can."

Aurelia closed her eyes and took a breath. She anticipated resistance from her cabinet colleague over this; Onderon's member enjoyed a certain clout representing the Republic's capital, and Aurelia didn't begrudge her that. She had parlayed that clout into a cabinet position and a high-profile position -- good for her. The more lights the noble Senator had pointed at her, the less were pointed at Aurelia, freeing her up to go about her business. She opened her eyes again and leaned over her microphone.

"Madame Prime Minister, I certainly understand my cabinet colleague's position on this and I respect it. Her pride and patriotism are well-known and to be commended. I understand the importance of pride and patriotism. But at some point pride and patriotism must yield to propriety and prudence." There was the soundbite; Aurelia could see her media aide nodding approvingly out of the corner of her eye. "And indeed, the move this legislation proposes would be for protection and prudence. Strategically, Chazwa is a much more secure location than Onderon, even had Onderon's security not already been very publicly and very violently been breached."

Aurelia paused and looked out across the Senate. It was difficult to gauge their response at this point. She took a shallow breath and inclined her head. "Madame Prime Minister, I myself was abducted from the capital several months ago. Senator de Demici was nearly killed. The King of Onderon himself lies dead. I am not so self-important as to think of myself as indispensable, but let us consider the strategic importance of the capital. After extensive consultation with military advisers, it is painfully clear that Onderon is well within the One Sith's reach. It is foolhardy to stake the fate of the Republic itself upon a planet in a disadvantaged strategic position, that has already proved vulnerable to enemy attack, for the sake of pride. It is foolhardy, Madame Prime Minister, to treat this as a matter of preference and political expediency when it is truly a matter of survival."

Aurelia paused to let her words sink in. "I am proud of the Republic. I am proud of our military and our democracy. And I shall be proud when the Republic adopts this prudent proposal to safeguard our survival until such a time that security on Onderon can be improved, or until we have sponged and purged and, if need be, blasted the One Sith menace from the surface of Coruscant. Madame Prime Minister, I yield the floor and reserve the remainder of my time."

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | @Aurelia Volcata | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

[SIZE=12pt]Faith read each of the lines no skimming today she and her mother had been there it happened so quick it still felt surreal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It had been chaos [member="Marev Priest"] had protected them and made sure they were safely off, he had done his job perfectly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And now this bill was before them wanting to offer days of remembers for the King of Onderon, and a day of Thanksgiving for Cecily.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Those things Faith had no problem, but hidden among these lines were the other things, move the Republic Capital to a very cold place Chazwa on the inner rim. So the attack on Onderon had made Senator [member="Aurelia Volcata"] nervous and she wanted to move the Capital.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Faith waited her turn patiently, and then when Aurelia finished Faith stood up and waited for the calm to resume before she spoke.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Moving the Republic Capital is not an answer. The problem, if someone really wanted to get to any Senator, or any Republic Officer, they could. Anyone with a strong desire could reach any target anywhere. No moving the Republic Capital again is not the answer” Faith wished for a moment she could look into the hearts of everyone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I am not against the days of Remembrance or Thanksgiving but as long as the lines are in there about moving the Republic, Alderaan cannot support this. Remove anything dealing with that and Alderaan will reconsider” She smiled and nodded, then resumed her seat.[/SIZE]

Arthur d'Angele | Ater Notechis | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | Cecily de Demici | Danny Colen | Geneviève Lasedri | Josef Levik |Lady Kay | Lionel Roux | Lyra Arcturus | Macharius Solaire | Mark Crassis | Max Rumor | Ned Rostu | Ordon Trozky | Persephone Callas |Sankt Yora | Soliael Devin Talith| Valen Cerezo | Volko Hydori

Cecily waited for her colleague and fellow Minister, Faith Balor-Organa, to finish speaking before she went on the attack again. Aurelia should have discussed this very rash move with the rest of the Cabinet prior to introducing the bill. A showdown between the highest ranking government officials on the floor of the Senate did not exactly give the impression of strength and unity.

"Prime Minister, I echo the concerns of our honorable Minister of Intelligence, and would raise the question to our Minister of Finance exactly how her department came to these insanely low figures?" the Minister glanced at her aides in the repulsor pod and they jumped to action at their data pads.

"With all due respect, I do not think our honorable Minister of Finance has quite thought through everything it would take to relocate our capital. Not only will a new Senate building need to be built on this ice planet, but accommodations will need to be made for our senators, delegates, and ambassadors. We must also move the executive and judicial branches of the Republic, each will need their own facility and all employees of all government agencies will be uprooted from Onderon and forced to flee again."

"After nearly a decade, the construction of the Galactic Republic University finally concluded this very year on Onderon and now we would also abandon them. Shall we ask them to move to our cozy ice fortress as well? Or shall we leave them here, Minister?" Cecily was in full force.

"That is nothing to speak of the stock markets, the reserve, our trade centers, our military bases, and corporate headquarters who fled with us from Coruscant.. along with the millions of refugees who fled the terror of the Sith and came here with the only home they have ever known," one of her aides whispered in her ear and she nodded, "this bill, while intended well, has not been thought through and I urge that my esteemed colleague immediately withdraw it from the Senate floor until such time a special committee of the Senate can be put together to explore the possibility of moving the capital."

"Prime Minister, I move that this matter be deferred to committee," with that, Cecily gave Aurelia an apologetic look and sat down as her pod flew back to its station.

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

"Madame Prime Minister, if I didn't know my right honorable friend so well, I would think that her opposition to this bill is purely personal. I can think of no other reason for her blatant misrepresentations about the cost of this measure. Surely my figures, which have been vetted by the Ministry of Finance and my own office very carefully through the course of drafting this bill are more reliable than those swept off the top of my right honorable friend's head in the heat of a debate. We have countless ships at our disposal which can provide transport, and as I have said, the Republic already possesses holdings on Chazwa that can easily accommodate the Senate, its staff, the Prime Minister and her staff, and the leadership of the Judiciary. It is neither necessary, nor advisable, for every bureaucrat and every judge to pick up and move to Chazwa. That is not what this bill suggests or what it calls for. We certainly have no need to move the University -- we're talking about essential personnel and institutions, Senator."

It was unfortunate that Cecily was taking this so personally; perhaps she felt that she would lose some sort of authority or power in a temporary move of the capital. Perhaps she was looking to avoid further humiliation to Onderon, which had proven itself vulnerable to Sith attack on more than one occasion, most recently in a spectacularly public fashion. "Allow me to describe to you, Senator, what will cost the Republic billions of credits: bringing the defenses of Onderon up to appropriate levels to ensure that it is not the prime target it is today. Reinforcing Republic fleets in this system and every adjacent one to shore up an obvious weak point in Republic defenses. And that is not the most expensive cost, Senator. The more expensive cost will be pulling Republic fleets and Republic troops away from the front lines to defend Onderon."

The Senator from New Holstice inclined her head towards the Prime Minister's pod. "And for what? Are these costs really worth it for a planet whose sole strategic value is that it is our capital? Is it really in the best interests of the people of Onderon to serve as a target for Sith attack because of Republic presence after the terror it has already suffered? Madame Prime Minister, I would posit that those fleets would be better off defending our front lines and our troops would be better off liberating oppressed people and planets, and that those billions of credits my right honorable friend is so concerned about would be better spent upgrading our fleets and equipping our troops." Aurelia clutched the sides of her podium and looked gravely over her colleagues. "This is a win-win proposition, my fellow Senators. In Chazwa we have a fortress planet with plenty of space and plenty of facilities for our purposes, naturally defensible and more strategically located. In Onderon, we have a beautiful but battered world, which has already proved insecure, which is costly to defend and will grow more costly as our investigations reveal additional weaknesses. We have an opportunity here, an opportunity that would be foolish to waste."

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

"Madame Prime Minister, I assure you that my concerns here are not of personal in nature, but come on the advice of the Ministry of State and it would appear these concerns are echoed by the Ministry of Intelligence, certainly both of these institutions are not out of their depth on this matter," she was on her feet again, this time much less willing to be apologetic.

"I say again, this bill must be deferred to committee for a review of its merits before we undertake such a drastic measure. I will not resort to attacking my colleagues' character to further my point," she gave the microphone an unceremonious and pointedly irate thud to deactivate it and moved back to her place.

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

"Madame Prime Minister, this bill is entitled to a fair hearing by this body. Surely it is no less groundbreaking than the Senator's own amendment to the Charter, which bypassed any committee and took to the floor. What is good for the goose ought to be good for the gander." Aurelia smiled serenely, enjoying the parliamentary back-and-forth with her colleague. Where the member for Onderon's irritation was clear, at least to Aurelia, the member from New Holstice's image being captured by the holocameras was a woman in control of her emotions, steadfast and unyielding but pleasant and calm nonetheless. "Should the Senate reject the bill, I would be willing to entertain the notion of establishing a committee to examine the matter. But it is not the right of my right honorable friend to send bills hither and thither based upon her personal preferences."

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

Gen launched into a standing position, exasperated by the conflict brought on between the two Ministers. "Shut the hell up," she demanded, veins showing on her hands as she gripped the fore of her central pod. "The Minister of Finance has presented numbers deemed much more verifiable than guesstimations of potential expansion to civil and military structure on Onderon, which--by the way--has apparently not seen proactive measures taken in defense from infiltration.

"Not to mention," the chair continued after coughing into her cupped hand and retrieving her datapad. She eyed the list her military counselors had provided to make sure nothing was missed as she spoke. "Our vulnerability to blockade (with minimal spaceport facilities), foreign element insertion (via the peculiar moon we have here), artificial orbital wobble, vast potential beachhead area, centralized weapons placements, pincering from Galactic East and West, lack of shipyards..."

The former Rebellion leader raised her head again and proceeded to extol the virtues of the military machine. "Chazwa has none of these issues--save shipyards--and has been a secure and fortified world for centuries past. It has a powerful economy if we allow it. (Which reminds me: I would like to ask what chief exports Onderon provides?) It has adequate accommodations for the Senate to gather in without requiring of construction projects--if we are to be concerned about finances." Gen let loose a smirk, finding joy in attaining a moment to unleash a personal complaint of hers. "And, if I may be honest, it isn't as humid there as it is here.

"And so, I would recommend we allow the Finance Ministry to worry about... finances. It seems we have far more important factors to consider before we discuss transport costs. I think my friend the Supreme Commander would agree." The Prime Minister lingered a few seconds after she had concluded, hoping that the bickering would be more tolerable following.

"I was not aware our esteemed Prime Minister had a personal stake in this matter, perhaps in the future these things will be discussed with her government, lest it be caused further embarrassment by these sorts of shenanigans," Cecily glared at the central podium with absolute daggers.

"I will not have my near assassination and the tragedy of Onderon's loss be used as fodder for this dangerous bill," she hissed, "I will not be subjected to further humiliation here."

Her pod returned to the rotunda wall and the delegation quietly exited the Senate Chamber. She had led missions to no less than 3 independent worlds and 2 major factions to broker peace deals for the Republic. If she had not yet demonstrated her mastery of political affairs, then these people were blinded by their own hubris.

Either way, she did not almost die at the hands of the Sith to be a made a fool of. Over her dead body.. and that had proven to be a difficult thing to come by.

As the chamber fell silent upon the Onderonian Senator's departure, the Falleen stepped up to the front of her pod, activating its mechanism so it would float into the center of the room. The Freshman Senator did not always get the chance to speak on such matters, the floor was too often caught between larger personalities and more established politicians, but now it was ripe for the picking. Tensions were running high, and a new voice had a real chance to be heard.

Not that Yora was timid about speaking up. The Cyrillian Senator merely realized the likelihood of her points being considered fairly by a group so divided by cliques, corruption and gerrymandering. It was no accident that delegates such as Onderon and Alderaan had received Ministries, and it must be painfully obvious to the Senate that their junior colleague from New Holstice was regarded as so much an upstart. It didn't help much that New Holstice was hardly a significant world, the Finance Minister had seemed to come by her title by demonstrated skill instead of connections.

In that respect, she herself had as much chance of landing a Ministry as the Republic had for taking back Coruscant. Then again, perhaps the proper consideration of the matter in a less...opulent background would give Yora more of an equal footing. Activating her microphone, the Falleen addressed the convocation, making the most of the awkward intermission of voices.

"My honorable colleagues, Madam Prime Minister, let us set aside our emotions on this matter. Debating pride and fear will get us nowhere. Our esteemed Finance Minister has drawn up a sound financial plan to move our convocation for the interim period, and I, for one, believe the safety and continued good health of this body is far more important than any of the raised issues.

I, therefore, recommend that my fellow delegates vote in accordance with this bill, as Cyrillia will be doing."

[member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"] | [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"]

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
With each passing moment, Kay was learning more and more about what happened to Senator Demici and Onderon while, as usual, she was outside of Republic space. It was devastating to say the very least. And tragic. She had seen such things happen on other planets before, yet those attacks hardly got the attention that this one had.

She cleared her throat and turned on her mic so that she too could express her thoughts. "While moving everything out of Onderon after such a tragic attack might seem like the appropriate course of action, I feel as though it would be putting salt into the wounds of the survivors. I have been around many conflicts both large and small and always the places that recovered the best were ones where damage was repaired. They don't abandon their homes or cities. It doesn't restore confidence. It shows fear, especially in the eyes of the enemy. Instead these people restored their buildings and continued to work and live there while that was happening. It was a coming together for all involved. I can just imagine the gloating when the One Sith hear that they have the Government of the Republic on the run."

Kay turned off her mic and just thought back on her own experiences. She was on the run most of the time, but there's a difference when it's due to a bounty as opposed to an invading army. At least in her own humble opinion.

Aurelia inclined her head toward [member="Lady Kay"], her glassy green eyes thoughtful and her lips turning to a pensive frown, and listened carefully to her words. Not being a blind partisan, Aurelia had her beliefs as to what was best, but was not so married to them that she could not be convinced otherwise. However, in this case, she wasn't there yet. Would the Member from Commenor be similarly open-minded?

Convincing people was, after all, what a debate was for.

"Madame Prime Minister, may I rise to thank my honorable friend the Member for Commenor for her thoughtful analysis of the Republic's position. I find it useful to consider opposing viewpoints, the tolerance of which is, after all, the foundation principle of this Republic." Aurelia smiled warmly at Lady Kay. "But may I suggest some counterpoints? First, we are not proposing here to move everything out of Onderon. To do so would be cost-prohibitive and unnecessary. No, rather we are endeavoring to move the most critical of Republic institutions off Onderon. We don't seek to do this on a lark, and certainly not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but rather to benefit all parties involved."

Aurelia paused and looked thoughtfully down at her hands. How could she explain something that she felt but had difficulty putting into words? "Onderon is not safe. Perhaps it makes us look weak to acknowledge this truth. Perhaps the One Sith will gloat. I cannot dispute that. But I have to ask this following question: so what?" Aurelia leaned over her podium. "Wake up, Senators. The Republic is weak where Onderon is concerned. The One Sith are gloating that they killed a member world's Chief of State and a Republic cabinet officer."

She paused and cocked her head to the side, looking sincerely distraught and, for the first time since the debate began, exhausted. "Hard words, honorable friends, and believe me when I say that I take no joy in telling them. But it is better, I think, to face the truth, however difficult, however challenging, however daunting it may seem. Perhaps that is why I have a facility with numbers, Madame Prime Minister. You can wish and hope, pray and bargain, deny, deny and deny, but at the end of the day, numbers are numbers. Numbers are just like truths. They are stubborn, unchanging, impersonal. They don't care about feelings. They don't care about politics."

The Minister of Finance stretched her neck, sighing again. "I suppose the point I am trying to make, Madame Prime Minister -- Senator Kay, is that what the Sith think, what they say, matters very little compared to that which they do, and have done. They may gloat if we take the prudent path, but it will be nothing compared to the gloating that will be done when they strike at Onderon again, as they have proven both capable of and willing to do. Furthermore, have a care for the people of Onderon. We can serve them best, and aid their recovery most, by getting out of their way and by making their homeworld a less attractive target to the One Sith. I am less concerned with rubbing salt in the wounds, than in creating more wounds. Again, I apologize for my frankness, but numbers are numbers. Truths are truths. Let us face them head-on... together."

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
She listened to all of [member="Aurelia Volcata"] 's points, nodding in certain places that she agreed with, such as the Sith thinking the Republic is weak. No matter what, they would surely think that. But it still felt like an abandonment of Onderon. Instead of getting out of the citizen's way, the Republic should be offering assistance and depart only if it was the wishes of the local government.

But that was Kay's opinion, which didn't weigh much as she didn't retain as high of a position as others did, nor did she have as much experience in the political arena. Not that she would ever want it anyways. It was better to have more freedoms and go where she pleased than to be restricted to her office.

So for now she just kept her mic off and listened to the others.

Faith was not worried about what type of facilities the Senate would operate out of. The past of the Republic there were times a ship was their conference room, and voting was done from home worlds rather than one place of gathering.

While[member="Aurelia Volcata"] did make a solid argument for moving the Republic what was bothering her was where did all these credits come from that only weeks ago they were fighting over the budget trying to refocus credits. [member="Cecily de Demici"] departure from the Senate would give fodder to the gossip mongers. [member="Sankt Yora"] the fresh first year senator made her stand, and her position clear. Faith remembered the first time she tried to speak in front of the body of senators.

Yeah. She should have worn her boots that day. Faith could not help but believe even if they moved the Republic that the Sith would still attack in covert teams, out right on their ships, on other worlds, in whatever fashion fit their purpose. The next attack when would it come, she had to now she needed to meet with Mark and Ater to see what their thoughts were.

Moving felt like running. But, there were times one had to run to fight another day. Feth

Faith for the first time in a long time felt undecided. Her dark eyes looked around trying to get a sense of the feelings of those around her.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Geneviève Lasedri"]

The Delegate of Carida's eyes darted back and forth about the whole escapade. He didn't nod his head, shake it, or otherwise show any notion of agreeing with either party. Josef's lips remained in a tight line as he re-read over the proposal again and again. Several of his aides glanced his way, wondering if their representative would even voice his opinions regarding this apparently significant bill.

Time to cut straight to the point. No big words, no overly dramatic wording or flair.

"The delegation of Carida stands in favor of his proposal." His pod slowly glided forward, "I'm impressed by the military and political facilities Chazwa has to offer, and I know good soldiers and officers when I see them. Their positioning is ample, they've agreed to this proposal and are more than willing to offer their land, their people, and their resources to the furthering of this democracy.

"There's absolutely no need to get hot and bothered over this mess. Sure it's a mess, but I'm a strong believer in soap and good hygiene practice. If an officer falls in battle, the next man steps up to the plate and so forth." He paused, taking a breath. "There's a chain of command in all levels of federal governance, be it a living being or a location. We move to where we believe we will prosper the most and there will be no questions about it."

He wasn't really talking to any other Senator in particular, merely tossing some words in the air.

"It's a simple strategic move and no personal issues should be brought to the table. Onderon is removed from the One Sith's list of high-profile targets and the Galactic Republic's hub of military, economic, and political might is relocated to a planet with superior potential."

With that, his little pod hovered back to where it originally resided.

So far Danny had remained silent. Sat in his pod, and flanked by his assistants from Chazwa, he had reason to take special interest in this particular act. Chazwa was his home planet, and subsequently the planet he represented in the senate. The more he thought about the matter, the more he tilted both ways on it. On one hand the bill would provide even more trade and commerce, something Chazwa already excelled in. His position in the senate and the Republic may even be furthered, but despite his personal goals and those of his planet, his mind dwelled on what was right for the Republic as a whole. Would moving planet merely be providing the Sith a new target?

After others had spoken, some more than once, he decided it was time he spoke himself. Moving his pod towards the center of the chambers, he activated his microphone.
"Madame Prime Minister, I would like to express Chazwa's honor in being the Finance Minister's choice in this matter. We are humbled by your recognition of our strength and position in the Republic. However, I am here to give my say on the matter as impartially as I can, whilst drawing upon my knowledge of the planet I call home."

"First of all, Mrs Volcata mentioned the suitability of Chazwa regarding it's ability to properly defend the Republic's most important figures and it's citizens. I can not emphasize this enough; Chazwa is a fortress world, and it's defenses are more than capable of meeting the Republic's needs in these dangerous times. Whereas Onderon provides only a target for our enemies, Chazwa provides strength, stability and masses of trade, things a true Capital should have. If this bill passes, Chazwa promises to support every second of the transportation and protection of everything stated within the bill, both financially and politically. I believe that the costs of such actions would be regained by the growth of Chazwa's already substantial trade."

"However, I am not here just to sell my planet as the new capital. There are risks to such actions. Transportation of such high value personnel would require substantial security measures, something that would definitely need to be ensured should this bill pass, else we merely place targets in the sights of the Sith. Also, if the Sith choose not to relent, would Chazwa become yet another target of attack? Would the people of my home planet be next in line to take the blow of the One Sith's actions? There a risks involved in such decisions, ones that I would rather have carefully addressed before anything is reached."

"Despite my concerns, I trust in the Minister of Finance's initiative. Chazwa supports this bill, on the de facto terms that we are involved closely in the process. No doubt this will be the case anyway, but I feel putting it our there in word is best."

Finally he fell quiet, withdrawing himself from his microphone for the moment. His eyes glanced quickly in the general direction of Senator Volcata's pod, before returning to the general audience around him. His worries had been spoken, and his support given, now he waited to see what the others in the Senate thought.

[member="Faith Balor-Organa"]
[member="Lady Kay"]
[member="Aurelia Volcata"]
[member="Sankt Yora"]
[member="Cecily de Demici"]
[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]

"Madame Prime Minister," Aurelia said, resuming her podium with a look of gratitude and relief. "I rise to thank my honorable friends from Carida and Chazwa for their support. I know that, working together, we can put this situation to rights. By transferring some of our security establishment from Onderon to Chazwa, including high-capacity scanning equipment and personnel, we can ensure that Chazwa remains as we know it: a fortress upon which the Republic can rely in good times and in bad."

Aurelia paused and cocked her head to the side. "Madame Prime Minister, may I propose an amendment to this measure? It would be prudent, I think, to include in this legislation the establishment of a Relocation Commission, to include the Prime Minister, the Minister of Finance, the Member for Chazwa, the Member for Onderon and one other Member at the Prime Minister's discretion. The Relocation Commission would coordinate resources as the transition is made should this measure pass." She entered the change and sent the amendment to the Chair.
Senate Security Act
WHEREAS, the Republic Capital has suffered an unspeakable violation with the assassination of a member world's head of state, and an attempted assassination of a Cabinet Officer of the Republic;
WHEREAS, as the bastion of republican democracy, the Republic Senate must stand firm and free and secure;
WHEREAS, the people of the Galactic Republic owe the citizens of Onderon a debt of gratitude for their service to Republic interests;
WHEREAS, the people of Onderon have suffered a terrible tragedy from which they ought to have time to recover free of the burden of hosting the Republic capital;
WHEREAS, the planet of Chazwa is a fortress world under Republic control;
WHEREAS, the planet of Chazwa has ample space and facilities that can be easily retrofitted to accommodate Republic government needs at limited cost;
WHEREAS, the King of Onderon and Onderon's Senator were and are loyal and tireless servants of Republican values of honesty, liberty, freedom, and duty;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that, to ensure the safety, security, and integrity of the legislative and administrative processes of the Galactic Republic government, the Galactic Republic shall, at its earliest opportunity, temporarily move its capital world to Chazwa.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that, to ensure the smooth and orderly transition and resettlement of the Senate and executive functions of the Republic, the Prime Minister shall, at her earliest opportunity, request what military resources may be necessary and proper.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Senate directs the Prime Minister to proclaim a Day of Rememberance for the fallen King of Onderon, on the date of his death.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Senate directs the Prime Minister to proclaim a Day of Thanksgiving for the recovery of Senator de Demici, on the date of her birth.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Senate shall establish the Relocation Commission, to consist of the Prime Minister, the Minister of Finance, the Senator of Chazwa, the Senator of Onderon, and a fifth member to serve at the Prime Minister's discretion, to coordinate resources for the transition.

It had been several minutes before Cecily returned with a large delegation from the Ministry of State staff. She soared out onto the floor and her mic screeched into life.

"Madame Prime Minister, after due consideration, I and the Ministry of State have decided that support for this bill would be our best course of action, Onderon will vote yes for this bill and I commend the honorable Minister of Finance for her diligent work. I urge my allies in the Senate to vote yes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom