Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Senate Noire - A Series of Interviews

Susanna Sorrows

S

KRxVG5K.png

Interview 1: Dagon Kaze, as part of Chapter I - The Beginning of the End

AMS Headquarters,
Senate District, Coruscant

-

Susanna leant her head against the mirror in the interview room. The reflection in the mirror was barely recognisable as her own. Sallow skin, sunken cheeks, deep dark circles under eyes that shone with amber flecks. No doubt her appearance would alarm the Jedi she was about to talk to, the signs of Dark Side Corruption would be obvious to someone like him, no doubt. But it couldn’t be helped that Susanna was sick. In fact, it spurred her on. Her time to solve this case was limited, it seemed.

Standing up, Susanna tried her best to look put-together and made her way to the front office, where Dagon had been requested to wait. He was not cuffed, not arrested, assured he was merely invited to answer their questions, not forced. As Susanna understood it, there was a distinct possibility things could get antagonistic if they didn’t tread carefully, especially with recent years’ events with the Jedi, the Watchmen, and the Senate.

“Dagon Kaze? Please come through.”

They took their seats at a metal table in the interview room, sitting on opposite sides, a couple of Susanna’s deputies watching through the glass behind her. She tapped a holorecorder at the centre of the table so that a red light flashed.

“Supervisory Deputy Alliance Marshal Sorrows is conducting an interview with Dagon Kaze. It is 2104 Coruscant Solar Time.” Susanna looked up at Dagon. “Thank you for agreeing to talk to us. My colleagues and I were informed you might be able to assist with our investigation following the attempt on the Senator of Epoch’s life.”

The room was chilly. Susanna pulled her coat up as Dagon got settled. She was thankful for the heavy woollen garment. It made her seem bigger, lessened the impression she was afflicted, dying.

“I was wondering what brought you and your associate, Corin Trenor to the Senate building on the night of the attack. You are both based in Denon, correct? What brings a Watchmen and his associate to observe Senate proceedings so closely?”

The light above them was flickering annoyingly. Susanna did her best to ignore it as she moved through the notes on her holo in front of her.

“It seems to me that you and Corin Trenor have been unofficially tracking this case to some degree. Are you aware of who was behind this? Why have you not involved the Marshals Service?”

Last edited by a moderator:

WAR ON THE SENATE III
ROUGH JUSTICE vol. I
Issue #6

kwzlsmL.png
Ironic.

It's ironic sitting on this side of the interrogation room when you've spent most of your conscious life being the one asking questions. Wouldn't be the first time, sure, he'd given witness to numerous cases as a padawan supporting the efforts of the 7th PD on Coruscant but that... that seemed a lifetime ago, even if it had been merely a few years. The Stygian Campaign sure did make time seem relative, stretching it like a rubber band across the numerous scars forming a mosaic on his body.

Since then he'd become a Watchman of Denon and subsequently put on the literal mask of the secret vigilante identity of Nightshrike spurred by the inefficiencies of the justice system, the limitations of the law, and... well, the events that led to the Sacking of Coruscant and the near extinction of the New Jedi.

The cold shiver of revisiting these memories went unnoticed due to the chilly temperature they kept in the interrogation room. Fairly standard procedure. Cops kept these rooms cold to lessen your natural command, keep you sort of shaky. Prone to mistakes.

With his arms crossed and his back leaning comfortably -- as much as these grey constructs they called chairs allowed -- the Jedi's eyes summarized the room before landing on the investigator. A hint of surprise and sudden caution flowed across his face at the sight of the Marshall. Sunken eyes and skin dry as a funeral drum enshrouded the natural charm of her features with a dark veil he'd always recognize.

The taint of the dark side.

“Supervisory Deputy Alliance Marshal Sorrows is conducting an interview with Dagon Kaze. It is 2104 Coruscant Solar Time.” Susanna looked up at Dagon. “Thank you for agreeing to talk to us. My colleagues and I were informed you might be able to assist with our investigation following the attempt on the Senator of Epoch’s life.”

"Sure thing. Any way I can help, deputy."

The instinctive alertness abated, washed away by a mixture of compassion and regret. Another victim of the wretched corruption. Another life they couldn't protect -- that he couldn't protect.
“I was wondering what brought you and your associate, Corin Trenor to the Senate building on the night of the attack. You are both based in Denon, correct? What brings a Watchmen and his associate to observe Senate proceedings so closely?”

“It seems to me that you and Corin Trenor have been unofficially tracking this case to some degree. Are you aware of who was , and behind this? Why have you not involved the Marshals Service?”

The feelings dispersed as the matter of the present drew neutral lines over his face. The Force meandered about freely making him realize there was no force dampening effects about. Mind tricks, as subpar as he was in that school of the ethereal, were a handy tool. It reminded him of the power they as Jedi yielded, but more specifically the immense responsibility that came with these powers and their oath to the Code.

"Denon? Usually, yeah, but mostly on the front these days." he began. One of his key disguises covering up his alter-ego was the notion that the Watchman was quite permanently stationed on the frontlines against the Maw.

The Stygian War had cut his fledgling enrollment in a criminal law degree short.

He had to tread carefully.

Trust... trust had cost his Order dearly.

But so could uncooperativeness.

It's a thin line.

"Corin was doing his usual patrol, Jedi training and all that." not really true, but he wanted the kid at least a hundred parsecs away from law enforcement, "I was to meet Auteme that day. Had a tip-off on a potential hit against her." by tip-off he meant illegally tapping into communications of the Corporate Authorities of Denon. And why didn't he involve the Marshals Service -- didn't hear it, deliberately.

Susanna Sorrows

Susanna Sorrows

S

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

-

"Denon? Usually, yeah, but mostly on the front these days."
Susanna did her best to keep her features neutral as Dagon spoke, but it was difficult to hide her general air of skepticism. He was obviously lying to cover for himself. While annoying, that fact didn't levy any suspicion on the man, who seemed to be following the general Jedi protocol of keeping his business private that had become the norm in the last 5-10 years. As Susanna understood it, most of their attention was directed at the Maw, and the Sith institutions behind them. In fact, Dagon had saved a number of lives during the Senate attack, so Susanna let the matter go.

"Corin was doing his usual patrol, Jedi training and all that. I was to meet Auteme that day. Had a tip-off on a potential hit against her."

"You said you received a tip. Something to do with the Corporate Authorities. Could you elaborate on that?"

That the CAD might be somehow involved was concerning. The corporate elite of Denon were notoriously slippery, difficult and controversial targets for the Marshals service, a collection of oligarchs that were mostly considered outside the reach of the law.

Mostly, anyway.

"That must have been a last minute thing, then, if you couldn't warn the Senator in time."

And then, once Dagon had responded.

"Is there anyone else who could assist us, Corin, maybe. Another Jedi, somebody who knows something about this CAD business?"

Then, one more important question. Susanna leaned forward intently, her expression earnest.

"Who do you feel is responsible for this attack, Dagon?"

Last edited by a moderator:

WAR ON THE SENATE III
ROUGH JUSTICE vol. I
Issue #6 w/ Susanna Sorrows

kwzlsmL.png
"That must have been a last minute thing, then, if you couldn't warn the Senator in time."

"More like a last-second thing--" he mumbled, then added, "--but yes; it does relate to the CAD. A communique between two higher-ranked employees within the Authorities, uh, found itself on my desk." Dagon never was a master at lying but instead of a weakness, he'd turned the bad act into a strength. Being a terrible liar made for a good cover, meant he couldn't pull an act of an alter-ego. That's how the illusion worked, became more potent.

Or so he hoped.

"Is there anyone else who could assist us, Corin, maybe. Another Jedi, somebody who knows something about this CAD business? Who do you feel is responsible for this attack, Dagon?"

The deputy had leaned in closer, like a curious cat, with her sickly eyes carving holes within his Force senses. He felt his spine straighten up slightly from its previously nonchalant position.

He gave a moment to consider his answer before replying, "I don't know. Auteme's bill probably ruffled some feathers in the Corpo side of things but I wouldn't count out the Sith, as well. Their influence in the Core since Coruscant hasn't just evaporated." after a short pause, he uncrossed his arms and leaned forward as well, "I'd love to help more, Deputy, but I'll be spending the next months out on the front -- but... there's a... guy on Denon that's been on the tail of crime. A masked vigilante going by the name of Nightshrike -- yeah, I know, I know how it sounds, kinda freaky and all that -- but if you find yourself on Denon, I'd suggest finding him first rather than law enforcement. You won't find much help there. Trust me on that one."

Leaning back on his chair, he added, "But beyond the Denon connection -- probably anyone high up the chain in the Corpo political world might be a valid potential lead to pursue." he shrugged.​

Susanna Sorrows

S

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

-

"--but yes; it does relate to the CAD. A communique between two higher-ranked employees within the Authorities, uh, found itself on my desk."

Again Susanna raised an eyebrow at the man’s words. It was obvious that Dagon was engaged in some sort of espionage against the CAD. Whether that was as part of his Watchman work or something else, Susanna didn’t know. The Marshals Service had no love for the CAD, who had been notoriously difficult to pin down in criminal cases, so she let the issue slide for the moment.

“When this communique arrived on your desk, did you happen to see the names of the sender and recipients?” Susanna thought for a moment, then followed up. “And, did you get the impression that this was communication between perpetrators, or just those in the know?” Susanna was beginning to suspect that for each attack on the Senate there were a smattering of people not directly responsible, but nevertheless knew the details of others’ plots and schemes.

"I don't know. Auteme's bill probably ruffled some feathers in the Corpo side of things but I wouldn't count out the Sith, as well. Their influence in the Core since Coruscant hasn't just evaporated. "

Then onto the matter of responsibility. Susanna nodded along, taking notes as the man spoke. There were so many pieces in play, and it seemed that Dagon had arrived at the same broad suspect list that Susanna had, with one notable exception.

“What about the New Imperials?” Then a pause. “Have you ever heard of the Phaeda system?”

"I'd love to help more, Deputy, but I'll be spending the next months out on the front -- but... there's a... guy on Denon that's been on the tail of crime. A masked vigilante going by the name of Nightshrike -- yeah, I know, I know how it sounds, kinda freaky and all that -- but if you find yourself on Denon, I'd suggest finding him first rather than law enforcement. You won't find much help there. Trust me on that one."

A new contact? That was useful, but it did seem convenient that Dagon would be rushing off somewhere right away. Susanna supposed it made sense, with the rumblings about the Maw’s latest movements in the Core.

“Thanks for the recommendation. We’ll definitely have to follow up on the Corporate Authorities, so any contacts you have are appreciated.”

Susanna shuffled her papers. Dagon’s insights had been helpful, but they challenged current theories, added new pieces to the puzzle. Susanna had so many more questions now than when she had walked in. How could so many different groups be seemingly involved? No doubt the truth would be revealed in time. Susanna just hoped the end would come quick enough for her to see it.

“This concludes my questions for Mr Dagon Kaze.” Susanna said into the recorder. “The time is 2146, Coruscant Solar.”

Susanna’s eyes flicked up to look at Dagon.

“Was there anything else I should know, or anything else you wanna talk about today?”

WAR ON THE SENATE III
ROUGH JUSTICE vol. I

kwzlsmL.png

"When this communique arrived on your desk, did you happen to see the names of the sender and recipients?"

"Employee IDs only, but good luck getting those from CAD." legally, at least...

"And, did you get the impression that this was communication between perpetrators, or just those in the know?"

"Nah, definitely just those in the know." it was true, had these been the perpetrators -- he would've been nipping this in the bud right now.

"What about the New Imperials?" Then a pause. "Have you ever heard of the Phaeda system?"

"The Imperials? Hmm, haven't thought about that. Wouldn't put it past them, to be honest." Dagon narrowed his eyes in thought; his fixation with the Sith had certainly limited his vision. Preconceptions were a dangerous notion in investigations. They were the greatest pitfall and harm to true justice. "And no, not really -- I mean, I've heard the name of the system but nothing beyond that." the Jedi shrugged.

"Thanks for the recommendation. We'll definitely have to follow up on the Corporate Authorities, so any contacts you have are appreciated."

"Anytime, Deputy -- I hope it helps." he nodded, a slight smile curving his lips.

"This concludes my questions for Mr. Dagon Kaze. The time is 2146, Coruscant Solar. Was there anything else I should know, or anything else you wanna talk about today?" he didn't move to stand, not yet.

"Matter of fact, yeah --" Dagon leaned forward again, one hand on the desk, then warily jerked his head at her, " -- you're..." dying? yeah, that's a great convo starter, Kaze, "... Sith affliction -- served in the war?" she was around his age if he could guess right through the curse of the dark side plaguing her and the New Jedi weren't the only kids on the front lines.

Susanna Sorrows

S

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

-

"Employee IDs only, but good luck getting those from CAD."
"Nah, definitely just those in the know."

“Damn, figures.”

The interview was wrapping up, and Susanna’s demeanour had shifted slightly, talking to Dagon less as a witness being interviewed and more as a fellow investigator. It was a shame about the employee IDs. Dagon was right. They’d never get those from the CAD, but that was about what she’d been expecting. At least it seemed like she could cross them off the list for the moment.

When the interview moved on to the subject of the Imperials, Susanna listened carefully, her shoulders sagging slightly as her hopes that Dagon would have the missing connection were dashed. No matter, they would uncover the truth eventually. They had to.

"The Imperials? Hmm, haven't thought about that. Wouldn't put it past them, to be honest."
"And no, not really -- I mean, I've heard the name of the system but nothing beyond that."

“We think that the Tiresh Kobitana case might be connected to this attack, and we believe she might have been taken to Phaeda before we lost track of her. Can’t find much besides that at the moment though. Just theories.” Like Dagon, Susanna knew the Imperials weren’t above taking such measures, but whether or not she had the authority to pursue that lead was a little unclear.

Having switched off the recorder and ended the interview, Susanna had stood up to leave and usher Dagon out, so the man’s next words took her by surprise.

"Matter of fact, yeah -- you're... "
"... Sith affliction -- served in the war?"

Susanna stopped, not looking at him for a few moments. After a time she let out a great sigh and nodded. She’d known this was coming, especially considering that Dagon was an experienced Jedi, but still Susanna had managed to convince herself by the end of the interview that she’d managed to avoid this particular conversation.

Obviously not.

“I-yes.” Susanna paused, stuck without the right words. “I was hit with a spear at Byss. They didn’t discover the shards in me till a few years later.”

Her voice was matter of fact. As far as she knew, as far as what she had been told, there wasn’t really much to do for her. Susanna would keep on living until she didn’t. That was just about the only option. But then why would Dagon bring it up, to offer his condolences. She looked at him and tried to keep a neutral expression, but her voice betrayed her curiosity, if not hope.

“Why? Do you know something about it?”

WAR ON THE SENATE III
ROUGH JUSTICE vol. I

kwzlsmL.png
His lips curved downward at the apprehension lingering in her averted eyes. He wished that the war and all of its casualties would be reserved for those who had sworn the oath of the Jedi Order.

Never was the case.

And here he was - face to face with a peer as young as him who had carried the toll of the war without the grace of the Force at her disposal. One of the few damned to survive and bury their friends on distant stars far from home.

The New Jedi could relate.

Too well.

Maybe too well for this particular Jedi. His own twin brother had been among the Sith that had struck Byss during the Eternal's incursion into the planet.

Glancing at the scars left behind by the alchemized spear, the burden of guilt slammed onto his shoulders.

"I...'ve had my fair share of experience with sith alchemy." he sourly admitted with a frown, then turned his gaze back up to her; resolve had sparked in his eyes, "The wound -- you mind showing it to me?"​

Susanna Sorrows

S

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

-

"The wound -- you mind showing it to me?"
Susanna nodded tersely, stepping back and pulling up her shirt to just above her ribcage, her face an expressionless mask. The wound was healed, but evidence of the corruption was clear, with deep lines of crimson and patches of purple and yellow and red all round. Jagged scars indicated the points where the spearhead had entered and fragmented, and several long, straight cuts that marked prior attempts by surgeons to clean and heal the corrupted injury.

She stood silently while Dagon inspected the wound, pointedly looking off into the middle distance. Once he had finished she lowered her shirt with a sigh, tucking it back into her belt and dusting off her hands as if she had just disposed of something unpleasant.

“My doctors, once they had identified it for what it was, referred me on to the Jedi Temple, but with the war the way it is, nobody has been able to see me.”

There was no bitterness in Susanna’s voice, just the resigned matter-of-factness of somebody who had already accepted her fate. There was some discomfort in having the Jedi examine her injuries instead of a doctor, but Susanna thought she hid it well under her professional facade.

“I was told I’d be dead within the year.” Susanna said evenly. “I don’t suppose you think any differently?"

WAR ON THE SENATE III
ROUGH JUSTICE vol. I

kwzlsmL.png
Blue eyes narrowed at the grotesque amalgamation of crimson and sulfur. His hand rose to trace the wound but kept his digits off her flesh, respecting the marshal's boundaries of privacy. The force stirred around his fingertips and coiled at the burning corruption emanating from the remaining embers of the dark side. The Jedi pulled his hand back when she lowered her shirt, his sight lingered for a little longer at where the wound had been before he rose his gaze back to Marshal Sorrows.

Dagon mildly winced once he heard of her venture to the Temple in vain. The war took its casualties far beyond the front lines.

"I do. I must. It's not in my nature to give up." he said, a faint smirk tugging at the corner of his lips as he leaned back into his chair. Hope was the Jedi's most potent weapon. "The corruption's spread far wider than I'd hoped and the healers here are probably spread out across the fronts but there's other Jedi -- hermits you might call them -- that can help. One in the Outer Rim comes to mind." and so his mind began, plotting and planning and thinking as if he was staring at a crime board burning to be solved, "I'd like to take you there-- surely the Marshals can be convinced to give you some, uh, more flexible leave?" there was no asking if she agreed or not -- when Dagon takes the reigns, he doesn't let go till they've reached their destination.

Susanna Sorrows

S

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

-

"I'd like to take you there-- surely the Marshals can be convinced to give you some, uh, more flexible leave?"

Susanna thought for a moment, standing a good distance from Dagon with her arms folded. The chance to go and actually do something about her illness was promising, but she couldn’t step away from her case. She was the lead investigator. She had everything to lose walking away for time off, leads to slip away, colleagues to step in and mess things around, or worse claim credit for what she had done.

But she might not get another chance.

Besides, the case wasn’t moving. Fett was gone, so were his handlers, and each shadowy middle man seemed to hide behind larger conspiracies and networks that obfuscated the truth and prevented justice. Maybe it would be better to step away, at least for the moment. It could clear her head.

Susanna nodded slowly, moving towards the exit with authority, speaking to Dagon over her shoulder as she did.

“Alright. I can step away from Primeday next week. You can meet me here.” Susanna passed the man a card with the address to her dingy apartment. “I’ll be ready to go, so you should be too.”

She paused at the exit and gave a deflated sigh. “And… Thank you. I had accepted I was out of options.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom