Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Bill 118.23 - [PASSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martika Varta

Senator, Umbara; Committee on Civics & Infrastruct
Martika Varta completed his final revision of the bill he hoped to propose to the Senate, which consisted of a formal declaration of support and appropriations of funding for the sentientarian aide and relief organization known as the Civilian Security Assistance Force. The group was a non-profit, non-government organization that used a paramilitary force to secure aid and protection for impoverished and oppressed populations throughout the Galaxy, and had a standing record of success on a variety of worlds over the course of the last couple years.
Martika had initially been approached by the organization's titled "Lord Commander," Alena Reckar, some months ago, and had since spent his time gathering support from various members of the Senate for a bill that would offer financial and political aide to the group. The bill was quite simple, and would secure CSAF's continued operations for the foreseeable future, which had been a great concern of Commander Reckar when she had initially approached Martika in the months prior.

She was with him now, on the floor of the Senate, to speak her piece and provide the Senate with a general history of her organization.

The bill read as follows:

Senate Bill 118.23 - Formal Declaration of Political and Financial Support for the Civilian Security Assistance Force

Abstract:

1) The Civilian Security Assistance Force (hereafter referred to as "CSAF") is a paramilitary sentientarian aide and relief organization that operates to secure the protection and provision of civilian populations on impoverished and oppressed worlds.

2) CSAF has operated admirably with both the Imperial Military of Carida and the Republic Military Forces over the last two years in a variety of training and real world exercises.

3) CSAF requests official observance by the Republic Senate and financial support to continue their endeavors.

Tenets of the Bill:

1) The Republic Senate will declare official support for CSAF.

2) The Republic Senate will provide financial support based on need to CSAF for procurement of arms, ammunition equipment, and fuel resources for the military arm of their organization.

3) The Republic Senate will provide financial support based on need to CSAF for the procurement of medical supplies and personnel, building materials, administrative fees (for social assistance programs to eligible civilians) and civilian equipment and personnel for a variety of needs such as agriculture, infrastructure, commerce and defense.

4) The Republic Senate will decide a duration of support to provide, to be renewed at the end of each fiscal cycle.

5) The Republic Senate will establish an office of oversight to ensure the appropriate use of funds by CSAF's representatives, to be headed by the bill's sponsor, Martika Varta.

Senate Roster:

Tholatin - [member="Megàn Alestria"]

Kashyyk - [member="Wrrlykam"]

Carida - [member="Caius Flavian"]

Brentaal IV - [member="Ordon Trozky"]

Chandrilla - [member="Miria Lasedri"]

Arkania - [member="Khyros Sunblade"]

Caamas - [member="Auru Taff"]

Korda - [member="Salete Kel"]

Eshan - [member="Alexander Sannes"]

Hok - [member="Thalia Kaia"]

Cartao - [member="Nick Sept"]

Kirbi - [member="Suravi Teigra"]

Umbara - [member="Geral Varta"]

Tirahnn - [member="Xian Neet"]

Azure - [member="Gael bar Ammon"]

Denon - [member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

Tanaab - [member="Conner Tarven"]

Alena waited patiently for Senator Varta to make his introduction, and when signaled, she stepped up to the podium of his Senate seat and addressed the gathered body before her. She wore a simple, formal green tunic of a shade that complimented that of her blue Chiss skin, and black trousers. A black, cloth belt was fastened around her waist. On her right breast, CSAF's patch was sewn into the cloth of her tunic. Her hair was pulled back into a tail that draped over one shoulder. Taking a deep breath, Alena glanced down at her notes, and addressed the Republic government.
"Esteemed members of the Republic Senate, I am Alena Reckar, Lord Commander of the Civilian Security Assistance Force. Over the course of the last three years, I have led an organization of thousands in the pursuit of a simple, yet complex goal: Peace, prosperity, responsibility, and freedom, for the impoverished and downtrodden ranks of this Galaxy's intricate society. Our story begins on Carida where, by the generosity of the Imperial government, we trained a force of thousands of beings from all over the Galaxy to become the next generation of noble soldiers, philanthropists, doctors, educators and politicians. Our training encompassed far more than that of any military force in the Galaxy, with the purpose of breeding individuals that were capable of handling the intricate and ever-changing needs of the people."
Alena paused for a moment, feeling her nerves calm themselves as she drove onward. "We reap no profit from our work, for the simple reason that profit does not benefit our primary mission: Provide and protect. Our members take no pay, and the only finances we have for them go toward food, equipment, fuel and other resources necessary to maintain our fighting force. Our Commandos, for that is what they are, are trained not only to destroy evil, but to educate and facilitate growing populations of civilians throughout the Galaxy. We take pride in our work, and yet we cannot do this alone. For years I have watched the Republic stand bravely against the ever-growing threat of evil in the Galaxy. I have seen worlds thrive as often as they fall into darkness. My organization seeks to join the ranks of your esteemed government and do what we can to push this darkness out of the lives of the innocent beings of this Galaxy. We have worked closely with the Republic military in the past on worlds such as Bimmissari and Yutan, helping entire populations free themselves of oppression."
Alena paused once more, glancing down at her notes.
"So what do I ask of you, here today? I ask for a formal declaration of support and financial assistance to continue our noble work. Our efforts go far beyond that of any private military in the Galaxy. We not only fight, we provide. Many of our Commandos are trained engineers, educators, medical providers. We have established agricultural infrastructure within numerous communities to allow them to provide for themselves; sustainability is the root of our efforts. The stability we have provided to these populations has allowed them to thrive, reducing the burden on governments such as your own. Even so, this work is expensive, and we cannot continued to support ourselves on donations alone. The details of this bill forwarded by Senator Varta outline a plan of financial support that is both beneficial to the Republic as well as the civilian populations we wish to aide. Yes, some of these finances will be used for weapons and equipment to fuel our military endeavors, though the vast majority of the requested funds will be utilized in the procurement of equipment and supplies that will directly impact the lives of those we serve in a positive manner. The bill establishes a dedicated office of oversight from within the Republic Senate to ensure these funds are appropriately used. This request for aide comes not from myself, but from the populations that we endeavor to serve. I thank you for your time."
Alena bowed and stepped down from the podium, yielding the floor to Senator Varta, who would call for the debate on the bill to be open.

Martika Varta

Martika took to the stand as Commander Reckar stepped away from the podium. "Thank you, Lord Commander." He said pleasantly, turning his attention to the Assembly. "Proud Senators of the Republic, you have heard Commander Reckar's preliminary request. I open the floor now to discussion of this piece of legislation. You are free to ask questions of the Lord Commander, or of myself, the bill's sponsor. The floor will remain open for a period of time, after which I will halt discussion for a preliminary vote. After further discussion, if there is any to be had, a final vote will be taken. As always, I appreciate your time."
Martika yielded the floor once more to the general Assembly, curious to see who would speak first.

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
Ayumi sat there and was listening to it both of them while she maintained eye contact but also was gauging the others around the senate. She wanted to get a feel for how they were going on this since now Denon was a major part of manufacturing for the Republic. She waited until it was all done and open for questions as well she was curious about a number of things. The claims she made were well nice, a military that didn't profit from fighting while possible there was usually someone making credits. She wouldn't deny it, Denon and all of the companies that negotiated profitted the more the Republic fought or helped the people. She was also trying to not let them rely on an organization that well had an agenda. As with everything including herself agenda's can change, new people can make things about something else or they can decide since they control and operate on most of the things \. They could go for a take over as had happened in the past. She wanted to avoid that at least for some of the things they could do.

Nick Sept

Worst Ghost in the Galaxy
Nick was barely here in chambers since Cartao had been lost. It had been unfortunate, and frankly, he could see an opportunity to reclaim it here. Or, to at least makes thigns better. Still, he had to ask. He didn't want to ask, but he had run on transparency. He needed to be certain. The faded senator coughed before addressing the room, his foice weaker than ti should be.

"Senator Sept, of the world of Cartao," the attendant annoucned him.

"Thank you. Miss Reckar," he began softly, "I was a soldier myself, once. And to put it politely, I--like many other clones and soldiers--was put at the mercy of a military that used me as a weapon. Not to protect the people, but to subvert the very will of this Republic. While your record may provide some level of service, I wish to know what certainties will be given that you will abide by Republic law," he continued, his robotic eyes focusing on the woman.

"The work of private private military suppliers has, in the past, lacked both transparency and accountability. What mechanisms will be put in place to prevent abuses from forming from this relationship? What prevents us from causing further subversion of democracy in the name of its own preservation? I am afraid that your request is not simply an offer of aid. It is a show of trust, Miss Reckar. And that trust must be earned, and must be allowed to be investigated. The citizens of the Republic," he said firmly, standing a bit more upright, "must be able to trust the government, and if you wish to tie yourselves to our support, it must also come with the support of the people. How do you aim to maintain such a trust?" He inquired, hoping for a good answer. He wasn't a opposed to having more military force on the side of the Republic, it would be essential for re-taking Cartao and prevent further Sith expansion. But, he needed to vet them, both for flaws of streategy and character. Another Lasedri or Garter taking the reigns would all but destroy what was left of trust in the Republic.

[member="Geral Varta"] [member="Alena Reckar"] [member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

Alena listened to Senator Sept's expression of concern, making notes on her datatablet as he made valid points regarding a recent history of poor transparency and overt risk. She reclaimed the podium at Senator Varta's allowance and made a concerted effort to speak to the assembly as a whole while addressing the Senator from Cartao directly and emphatically.
"Senator Sept, I understand and empathize with your concerns wholeheartedly. I offer you my sincerest condolences to the lives you and your brethren suffered at the hands of the Traitor Lasedri, as well as to the loss of your world. I am aware that oversight and accountability in relationships such as these can be tenuous and oft overlooked. It is in part for these reasons that I founded CSAF. Our organization depends on a form of direct democracy; the concerns and thoughts of our soldiers are what decide our courses of action. We accept, or deny, missions based on the collective decisions of the whole."
Alena doubted this revelation would be well received, though she was committed to transparency and would not shirk from expressing the nature of their organization.
"My position as Lord Commander is more or less informal and was secured via election by our member soldiers. The responsibilities of our command structure revolve primarily around administration and facilitating the ease of communication in a tactical environment as opposed to traditional military rulership. Our soldiers were once citizens of worlds both within and without the Republic, united by the idea that peace and sustainability are the rights of all sentient beings. Our soldiers are loyal not to their leaders, but to the CSAF Mission."
Without glancing down at her datapad, Alena recited the Mission Statement verbatim, from memory. It was etched into the minds and hearts of every CSAF Commando, and was given the utmost respect. "The CSAF Mission is to ensure the safety, protection and provision of civilian populations of the Galaxy and, when applicable, the governments that represent them."

She looked out at the Assembly before her, allowing her words to be considered for a brief moment.
"This bill is designed to create an office of oversight, to be headed by Senator Varta, or by others elected by this Assembly, that will interact directly with CSAF's Command Staff. This office will consist of whatever measures this Assembly deems necessary to ensure transparency and trust between the Republic government and CSAF. Our records of operation will be made available not only to members of the Republic military and military oversight committees, but to any Senator or Administration official who requests them. We do not censor our records, and any censorship may be considered a breach of the agreements of this legislation. Authority of political, military, and financial support will be given solely to these members of the Republic Senate. My colleagues will hold no power over these aspects of CSAF's relationship with the Republic, and the Senate will be left free to adjust, or revoke, such support as they see fit."

Alena paused and took a measured breath as she prepared to reveal the greatest revelation of the discussion. "As for CSAF's adherence to Republic law...our Mission Charter expressly forbids the observance of regulations that interfere with the safety, protection, and provision of civilian populations. Please allow me to assure you, however, that CSAF's own regulatory statutes are in accordance with the Constitution of the Republic itself, and when compared, the two lack any dissimilarities. This provision is necessary to protect CSAF operators from government interference that contradicts the tenets of the Republic's own Constitution, such as in the case of Former Prime Minster Genevieve Lasedri's betrayal of the Republic."
Alena allowed several moments for the Senators of the Assembly to consider this latest development. She knew the concept would be unpopular, she knew that political observance and financial support from even democratic governments came with the expectation that said government's own laws would be followed without deviation. And yet, this was something she could not promise, as she had seen tyranny in action, and those equipped to stop it halted by the very government designed to protect against it.
"Allow me to provide an example, to better assuage your concerns, Senators."
Alena keyed her datatablet, and the center of the Senate Chamber burst into life as the large holoprojector produced an image of Republic clone soldiers holding Imperial military personnel at blaster-point. Genevieve Lasedri was featured at the holograph's center, her own weapon pressed against the temple of the first in the line of prisoners.
"CSAF's observance for Republic law ends in only the most extreme circumstances." Alena proclaimed softly, her voice carried by the Chamber's own sound system. "CSAF will remain committed to Republic law, as long as the Republic government is committed to the tents of its own Constitution. We do not aim to be the judge of the efficacy of Republic democracy; we aim only to serve as a reminder of its goals, both within Republic space, and throughout the Galaxy as a whole."

Alena refocused her attention on Senator Sept himself. "To more completely answer your question, Senator, I must ask of you what the Republic Senate and its people require in order to secure trust between our organizations?"

Kashyyk - [member="Wrrlykam"]

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
There are many dire times I've come to realize in my long life.
Dire times always brought about measures to address such crises.
Whether they were extreme or not was subjective....
I recall answering the Senate call during such a time, when I was both President and Senator for Carida, and thus another exciting moment of my life in the glory that was being an elected member of government representing peoples interests.

Unfortunately since a number of worlds were at that point cut off from the Republic's influence a challenge had been presented to the government.
That challenge came in the form of difficulty of maintaining communication. Safe and secure communication.
It had taken the better part of the last fifteen minutes since I had recieved to the communique that a Congress had been called to session and thus my presence was required to attend.
Since Carida was now on the other side of Sith occupied space there was certainly difficulty in making sure that I could get through without being listened in to or being sliced.

I arrived into what was now the temporary Senate facility on Yutan.
Say what you will of Lasedri's administration at least Chazwa was a spacious structure. This felt cramped and also the active members of the Senate were smaller in number.
Hell I was simply happy to see [member="Nick Sept"], [member="Ayumi Pallopides"], and [member="Geral Varta"].
I had arrived just as Nick made some points to this particular bill.
Missing out on the introduction I quickly read over the document brought forward.
As the Lord Commander [member="Alena Reckar"] addressed Senator Sept's concerns I had to reread the document again to make sure I was reading this correctly.
I looked over to Nick to see what his reaction and perhaps if he would ask what was on my mind. I quietly sipped my tea and awaited for when the floor would be open.

Senate Tags: [member="Wrrlykam"] [member="Ordon Trozky"] [member="Miria Lasedri"] [member="Khyros Sunblade"] [member="Auru Taff"] [member="Salete Kel"] [member="Alexander Sannes"] [member="Thalia Kaia"] [member="Suravi Teigra"] [member="Conner Tarven"]

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
Ayumi listened to her answer the questions and it was pretty but she had heard that before and following as long as it adhere's to blank was something that she knew could be taken very loose if it was wanted. "Very nice but I have heard claims like that before and I have sat here before and seen agenda's change the meaning of "we'll help or serve or do anything as long as this is followed." She remained there watching but more tapping a finger. "And while I doubt you are as devious or have the same intentions as the ones who used the same language to justify the Republic purging itself of those who might have disagreed with the chancellor before. I have seen something worth while be used to terrible ends. So who decides what is the proper level of the Republic following to retain your services? Will we risk with each new leader taking over or by commander their own version of what is ideal Could we face personal interpretation and personal agenda whihc could have people turning on Republic soldiers, on republic citizens possibly?" She was wanting to hear something but she wasn't certain, last time she asked something similar several senators among herself were threatened with death unless they vacated their positions and leave. They were gone and Jack Sparrow was far more accepting of someone disagreeing.

Alena listened carefully to Senator Pallopides' concerns, which more or less reflected those of Senator Sept's. She nodded along to show the Senator had her attention, making notes on her datatablet here and there to refer back to during the course of her response. She had already drafted a small series of responses to inquiries such as these in anticipation of the Senate gathering, and felt adequately prepared to field such probes.
"I would like to thank you for voicing your concerns, Senator Pallopides, and believe I can address them satisfactorily," Alena began her reply with a conveyance of respect. "Aside from the proposed office of oversight to ensure the veritable conduct of our organization and the use of the Republic's own constitutional tenets as a guideline in the measurement of its own efficacy by myself and my staff, I must ask the same question of this Assembly if I am to adequately respond to your concerns. What guarantee can the Republic Senate provide that terrible events such as the betrayal of Genevieve Lasedri will never again take place? How can the Republic show us, a peace-mongering organization composed of its own citizens, that we will not be targeted in the same manner by an exchange in leadership, or shifting societal views? What protects us from the same persecution?"
Alena allowed her questions to ferment briefly before continuing on in a softer tone. "The answer, in my view, is there are no guarantees that can be made. There can only be preventative measures to avoid such circumstances from developing in the first place, and contingencies in the event that they do. This is why trust is so crucial, and I hope our record speaks of integrity in your eyes."

She paused again, hoping her reply had thus far been viewed favorably, then pressed onward. "I believe the key to a successful cooperative relationship is to avoid either party feeling trapped within the commitment to meet shifting expectations. A modicum of flexibility is essential, of course, though I do not believe that either CSAF nor the Republic government, should be held to exacting standards of loyalty in the face of certain possible shifts in either party's ideologies. I can no more tell you of CSAF's future Lord Commanders than you can tell me of the Republic's future Supreme Chancellors, which is why this bill requires a periodic revisitation of its statutes. We are indeed comprised of a rigorously trained soldiery, though I must reiterate that our members are groomed to be far more than soldiers alone. They are as much educators, philanthropists, health care providers, and diplomats as they are commandos. Therefore, what I can tell you, with absolute certainty, is that our goals go far beyond that of simple security. Our focus rests primarily within the pursuit of diplomatic conflict-resolution as opposed to a reliance on the pathology of violence. It is with this in mind that I hope an amicable relationship can be built between our organizations."
Alena silenced her mic, signaling the end of her reply. She looked down at her notes, glancing sideward at Hat Ma'an, who sat beside Senator Varta's aide. The Kel Dor dipped his head just slightly in an expression of support and approval.

Kashyyk - [member=Wrrlykam]

Nick Sept

Nick nodded calmly and listened to both of them. A good answer really. There were no assurances. Merely commitments and an understanding that the relationship made here was not permanent. He considered the answer.

He also had to admit that this young woman reminded him of himself. An accidental leader. Like he had been on Cartao? Heh. Never an easy thing to assume leadership when you had no intention of doing it. Ah well. Still her answer was rather coarse. It basically amounted to a mutual lack of trust with no assurances. Still he smiled weakly at their responses. He sighed.

"Miss Reckar," he began with a slightly mirthful tone, "That is likely the single most honest answer I've been given in a long time in this room. I cannot be assured that such honesty is refreshing to those involved here. I suppose we all have our sins and our decisions to make. Still, I believe my questions have been answered, and I am satisfied with her answers. Do any others wish to offer a question to our guests?" He let the floor remain open. Certainly others had thoughts.

[member="Alena Reckar"] [member="Caius Flavian"] [member="Geral Varta"] [member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

rPTkr9D.jpg

Senate Office, Old Izrul, Kiribi

As usual, Suravi checked into the assembly by halo-call. These days, it was too much of a risk for her to be too far away fromKiribi with the One Sith and Mandalorians active in the area. She had come into the hearing in support of the CSAF's efforts to seek sponsorship and funding for their mission. Their presentation had been going smoothly so far, so she was still behind them. There were just a couple items that she needed to address before she was completely satisfied.

"This proposal looks good, but there are a few revisions that I would like to see in this bill. I want it stipulated in writing that as a paramilitary organization, the CSAF will be held to the same standards as our various security organizations with a
license for violence, and that they are tried under military laws for violations where appropriate."

This condition was as much about protecting the integrity of the CSAF as much as keeping them reigned in. Like Senator Sept, she had seen it first hand as a commander how governments employed mercenaries to skirt their own rules about the humane prosecution of war. They would be treated like ordinary civilians under the basic legal code, allowing them to escape serious punishment under the relatively lax laws.

"As for establishing an office for accountability, I do not believe that is necessary. The Senate and Chancellery already have mechanisms in place for providing proper oversight. As chairman of the Armed Services Committee, I invite Senator Varta to join us on the committee as it is the organization most directly involved in oversight of the military and private contractors on the Senate side. I extend that invitation to Senator Sept as well."

[member="Nick Sept"] [member="Alena Reckar"] [member="Ayumi Pallopides"] [member="Caius Flavian"] [member="Geral Varta"]

Alena nodded along as she listened to Senator Teigra's requests and recommendations. Currently, CSAF protocol for processing law breakers was managed in house, something she wasn't exactly comfortable with changing wholesale. She was prepared, however, to make an effort for compromise, as she understood a government's desire to oversee justice for those operating within their territories. After a brief consult with Senator Varta, away from the podium, Alena returned her attention to the Assembly. Senator Varta spoke first, briefly.
"Senator Teigra, I wish to convey my appreciation for and acceptance of your invitation to the Armed Services Committee." He stated politely before returning to his seat behind Alena, who replaced him at the stand.
"I find your stipulations amicable, with some clarification, Senator Teigra." Alena began, glancing down at her quickly scrawled notes. "As CSAF is not seeking to become part of the Republic power structure, merely an ally to it, I would request that such judiciary procedures only be applied to perceived breaches in conduct by CSAF personnel that take place within Republic space. Additionally, I am compelled to request that such judiciary measures be managed by coordinated investigations and proceedings between our two entities, and that the Republic pursue justice only within the context of a cooperative effort."

"All sentients are subject to Republic laws and regulations within our jurisdiction, so that's a given. However, I'm speaking specifically about the application of military law, which I believe should be followed by CSAF personnel during all domestic operations, and operations abroad under GR direction. Otherwise, the CSAF abides by the laws of the host-states outside of the jurisdiction of the Republic."

"I would be fine with giving the CSAF leeway on handling disciplinary action in operation zones in place of a military court, provided monitors from the Senate and Chancellery are allowed to observe proceedings. While operating within GR jurisdiction, under the conditions I mentioned earlier, the government would reserve the right to prosecute its own case against CSAF personnel in civilian courts or a military tribunal."

"We can respect the autonomy of the CSAF and the benefits that it can bring, but if we do agree to become your sponsor, then you become a representative of the Republic. Even outside of our jurisdiction, please strive to comport yourselves to our standards. Some foreigners, or even Republic citizens on a local level will fail to see the CSAF as little more than another arm of the government. For strategic purposes, we must see that the CSAF maintains good relations with its clients, and treats its adversaries humanely even outside of our borders."

[member="Alena Reckar"] [member="Nick Sept"] [member="Ayumi Pallopides"] [member="Caius Flavian"] [member="Geral Varta"]

Senator Teigra's suggestions were already in line with Alena's thinking, more or less. She reiterated a few points of clarification in an attempt to smooth out any wrinkles of confusion. "Senator Teigra, such adherence to Republic law within Republic space is consistent with the current tenets of the proposed bill, this I do not contest. Such funding and support for CSAF made by this Assembly will extend only to our operations within Republic space, and as such, cooperation with Republic law is guaranteed. We wish to retain operational autonomy outside of the Republic's sphere of influence, however, in order to facilitate ever-changing conditions and circumstances affecting our primary mission mandates. Considering CSAF's own regulations and operational standards offer little deviation from the Republic's expectations, I foresee little problem in maintaining this autonomy." Alena paused, checking her transcript of the discussion thus far, then continued. "Observance and participation in CSAF's internal disciplinary proceedings is welcomed, and in fact, encouraged, and I am prepared to offer this participation in all infractions made, regardless of where they take place. I feel this will help ensure the Republic remains engaged in and aware of CSAF's internal disciplinary methods for infractions made even outside of Republic space. Additionally, I would request that any proceedings initiated by the Republic in civilian or military courts offer this same courtesy, allowing CSAF representatives to remain active in the prosecution of its own deviants, even at a diminished level of involvement. I am prepared to offer an exception to this measure in the context of a civilian court trial by jury, requesting only that our command staff be offered unfettered observance of such proceedings."
Alena ended her comments on that note, for the time being, awaiting further response. She felt that a practice of cooperative disciplinary action across the board would better facilitate trust between the two entities, and hoped the suggestion was well received.

Nick Sept

Sept simply nodded and listened to the two of them have their exchange, but he also sent a silent comm to [member="Suravi Teigra"]

Suravi, while I appreciate the invitation, I am already part of the infrastructure and transparency committees, and cannot overextend myself. However, know that I support your interest in keeping these matters open and well-checked, and will happily collborate with you in regards to investigatory procedures.

Nick continued eyeing the Senators, waiting to see who would respond next. It was quite a lively bunch. And frankly, these sort of sweeping policies required a great deal of input and clean-up prior to implementation. However, he also needed to make his own arrangements. Some for Cartao, and some for...more esoteric applications.

"Fair enough, the government will keep the CSAF involved through the whole process in the event of an independent prosecution being initiated."

Her concerns had been answered, so she had no other objections approving sponsorship. The issues that the other Senators had with the bill had been addressed, so it was just a matter of some revisions to proceed with the next step.

[member="Alena Reckar"]

((It looks like we're done here, so if you can make the edits to the original bill according to our discussion, then we can go ahead and cast a vote.))

Martika Varta

Martika noted the Assembly's general acceptance of the agreed upon redactions, and after a brief discussion with the Lord Commander, refiled the bill with the amendments included.

Senate Bill 118.23 - Formal Declaration of Political and Financial Support for the Civilian Security Assistance Force

Abstract

1) The Civilian Security Assistance Force (hereafter referred to as "CSAF") is a paramilitary sentientarian aide and relief organization that operates to secure the protection and provision of civilian populations on impoverished and oppressed worlds.

2) CSAF has operated admirably with both the Imperial Military of Carida and the Republic Military Forces over the last two years in a variety of training and real world exercises.

3) CSAF requests official observance by the Republic Senate and financial support to continue their endeavors.

Tenets of the Bill
Political Support

1) The Republic Senate will declare official support for CSAF.

Financial Support

1) The Republic Senate will provide financial support based on need to CSAF for procurement of arms, ammunition, equipment, and fuel resources for the military arm of their organization.

2) The Republic Senate will provide financial support based on need to CSAF for the procurement of medical supplies and personnel, building materials, administrative fees (for social assistance programs to eligible civilians) and civilian equipment and personnel for a variety of needs such as agriculture, infrastructure, commerce and defense.

3) The Republic Senate will decide a duration of support to provide, to be renewed at the end of each fiscal cycle.

Oversight

1) The Republic Senate will induct Senator Martika Varta into the Senate Armed Services Committee.

2) The Republic Senate Armed Services Committee will conduct oversight of CSAF operations and funding within Republic territories.

Judicial

1) In cooperation with Republic law enforcement and judicial authorities, CSAF will conduct investigative and judicial proceedings of breaches of Republic and CSAF laws by CSAF personnel so long as such breaches take place within Republic territories.

2) CSAF will apprise the Republic Armed Services Committee of internal judicial proceedings carried against CSAF personnel when such breaches of CSAF regulation are identified as taking place outside of Republic territories.

End

Martika forwarded the new version of the bill to the Senate Assembly, then leaned toward his mic. "Voting is now open on Senate Bill 118.23." After the announcement, Martika keyed "Yea" on his touch display, placing his vote in favor of the bill. He glanced at Commander Reckar, who stood beside him without expression on her features. He smiled gently, and she nodded in return. With his mic off, Martika spoke of the expected response. "We received no resistance to the proposition, and the amended changes should placate the majority. I have full confidence the bill will pass." The Lord Commander nodded once more. "I appreciate the veracity of your efforts, Senator Varta."

Umbara - [member="Martika Varta"]

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
I had spent most of this particular senate session silent.
Unusual for myself but I quietly selected "Aye"

The CSAF had a healthy relationship on Carida using the high gravity world for training their most elite of personnel.
Arguably they have been one the few paramilitary organizations that have been getting success in Operations Other Than War and also played a significant role in working with Republlic military forces in battle.
When I had took power in Carida I had made it a point not to dsitrub to many of the already existing relationships the system had with outsiders operating within the system.

Part of me slightly wondered why the CSAF had not asked for me to put this forward but I simply pushed such thoughts to the side.

I sipped my tea and awaited too see what the results would be.

Senate Tags: [member="Wrrlykam"] [member="Ordon Trozky"] [member="Miria Lasedri"] [member="Khyros Sunblade"] [member="Auru Taff"] [member="Salete Kel"] [member="Alexander Sannes"] [member="Thalia Kaia"] [member="Suravi Teigra"] [member="Conner Tarven"] [member="Geral Varta"] [member="Nick Sept"]

Martika Varta

As the time period for voting drew to an end, Martika signaled the closure of the voting process and prepared to announce the results to the Assembly. "With overwhelming support, I am pleased to announce that Senate Bill One-One-Eight-Point-Two-Three is passed into law. The Armed Services Committee, chaired by Senator [member=Suravi Teigra] will prepare a public address on behalf of the Republic Senate to announce the Republic's support of the Civilian Security Assistance Force. The Appropriations Committee will convene with CSAF administrators in order to determine the funding that will be provided, and the Oversight and Accountability Committee will meet with CSAF representatives to coordinate future communication and policy standards between the two organizations. At this time, I yield the floor to the Senate Speaker, and announce this motion passed and closed. Thank you for your time, Senators."
Martika nodded and deactivated his mic as he stepped off the podium, turning to Commander Reckar and letting out a light sigh. "I'm pleased to see the motion passed, Lord Commander." He said. The Chiss woman offered Martika a polite bow, which he returned. "Your efforts are much appreciated, Senator, and will not be forgotten." Martika smiled gently. "Thank you, Commander. Please forward to me the names and contact information of the individuals you wish to represent CSAF to the two committees, so that details of our cooperation can be determined swiftly."
Reckar nodded, and soon after departed to return to her people. He watched her leave the Senate Chamber, curious what the future might offer. Today he had known victory, but this only made him wary of whether defeat was on the horizon.