Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Search Through the Collapse of Knowledge

Tags: Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

“Why does it seem like I’m always climbing mountains?” Millia Korraay whined as she disembarked her ship. DATA her trusty DT-Series Exploration Droid chirped at her in response. The Kuranu Jedi couldn’t help a laugh. “I guess you’re right. I don’t usually actually climb. That would take far too long for you to spray down a whole mountain.” There was another chortle from the droid. “Yes, probably more disinfectant than the Council would care to purchase as well.”

Millia had arrived on Phateem in search of the ruins of the
Halls of Knowledge. Almost everyone said it was a waste of time. That everything of value had been long ago taken from what had been the greatest collection of relics assembled. Dagon Kaze had agreed to come with her, however. He was an adventurous knight with a strong history for exploring. Millia wasn’t sure why she was drawn to the Halls. She knew that everyone who said she would not find things of value were right. From their own viewpoint. Something just didn’t feel right about how the Jedi abandoned it without much of a reason in the datacrons as to why. No invasion, or battle with the Sith. Just a decree to disperse the artifacts to other Jedi strongholds. It didn’t make sense. Even if Millia didn’t find any physical relics in this search, perhaps she would find a reason. That would be beyond value to her.

“Has there been any word from Knight Kaze?” Millia asked DATA who seemed to get angry at the question. “I didn’t say you were my messenger droid. You are far more than that. But yes I understand now how that must make you feel when I assume that you receive all my notifications. I will try to get better.” The droid gave a satisfied warble. “Ok then let’s check in somewhere. See if we can’t find transportation into the mountains and maybe Dagon will find us. I hate to say it but we sort of stick out in this little waystation.”

Adventures of exploratory nature always ran in his blood, ever since Dagon had been a kid. The long days of crossing rivers, trekking mountains, and charting hills and caves with his twin brother across their homeworld of Ruusan most definitely were part of the reasons why he, upon induction as a Jedi at the age of twelve, became a crime-fighting investigator on Coruscant. Curiosity had always driven him and he often wondered if there had been peace in his time, would he have become simply a Jedi explorer, a seeker of knowledge ancient and forgotten.

But the war had knocked early on the doors of the fledgling New Jedi Order and his young generation of Jedi was marred by the sacrifice and martyrdom against Sith tyranny. The countless battles were marked on the mosaic of scars that painted his body and in the sleepless nights where memories of his friends resurfaced. Grasping at the last bits and opportunities for some sort of rest, or escape from the troubles and horror of reclaiming the Core and defeating the New Sith Order, the Jedi Watchman of Denon had embarked on a journey to Phateem.

He had overheard fellow Jedi skeptically remarking one Jedi Archivist's belief that the ancient Halls of Knowledge still possessed anything of value to the history and legacy of the Jedi Order. As stubborn as he was, Dagon opted to join Millia on her quest to find the Halls and prove the naysayers wrong. Dressed in the usual spacer outfit most New Jedi donned, along with the iconic leather jacket, the raven-haired Knight trudged through the thicket with two mounts reigned in his hand until he finally found Millia, along with her chirping, floating droid.

"Millia, right?" he called out as he halted, then jerked his head at the two mounts beside him, "Found local mules to help us climb the mountain. Natives say they can take us up to the halfway point... but anything beyond that and we're on our own."

"You've got the right gear for this, yeah?"

Millia Korraay Millia Korraay

DATA gave a series of beeps and turned to face Dagon. “Yes I heard him,” Millia said in annoyance, though she knew it was payback for asking DATA to relay her messages for her. “Yes that’s right I’m Millia Korraay,” she replied. She’d seen Dagon here or there, but they had never been properly introduced. Millia was quite active in the Outer Rim with her master as a padawan searching for anything that would be of interest to her, the aspiring archivist, and her master, a diminutive warrior. Since becoming a knight Millia hadn’t pushed for high profile assignments. And this was still not one. She was honestly surprised a knight with the reputation of Dagon was willing to come along on what many thought was a wild goose chase.

“This floating fellow is DT-A1. I call him DATA. An exploration droid with some added features to make me feel a bit more comfortable on adventures.” DATA gave a warble of a greeting to Dagon. “You, I know, are Dagon Kaze. It is a pleasure to actually meet you,” Millia said with hand extended. “We’ve been in the same spot a couple times, but everyone was always too busy for introductions.”

Millia looked at the creatures next to Dagon and then at DATA. The little droid knew what to do next. It floated off to get a closer look at the mules. “Oh. They look quite nice. Um. Wouldn’t a speeder be more convenient?” she looked around the area and saw very little in the form of advanced technology. “It appears that finding a speeder would be a bit difficult. I guess we take these guys half way up and then climb the rest of the way.”

The droid returned <”It is quite probable that the mules will suffer ill effects from being sprayed by disinfectant,”> he reported much to Millia’s dread. <”If they are pack animals I suggest staying away from both. If you are intended to ride one, choose the one on the right. And use your insect repellent.”>

Millia frowned. “RIght.” She gave a deep sigh and then looked over to her ship. “As usual I was hoping not to have to use it much, but I always come prepared to climb a mountain if necessary. The loader droids will set them down here. Then we load up the mules?”

"Pleasure to meet you, too, Millia." he shook the extended hand with a grin, then scratched the back of his head with a sheepish smile, "Uh, yeah, you know how it is -- things go a bit too fast sometimes around the Temple." the Knight had been used to the small size of the New Jedi, but its recent growth had sometimes made the task of putting names on faces a little challenging at times.

As she examined the mules, Dagon had the chance of a closer look at the Jedi Archivist. Her purple skin, blue hair, and pretty features reminded him a lot of the numerous Zeltrons he'd met in the past, but it was her pupil-less eyes that clearly defined her as a Kuranu; a race he had not seen prior to meeting Millia.

"Yeah, it's kinda like 50,000 BBY here." he shrugged innocently. Not much in the way of contemporary technology on Phateem. "Let me help out with the loading--" he suggested as he shuffled to get the gear they needed onto the mules, "--you've got some idea where the remains of the Halls might be? Like a specific area we'd be exploring up top?"​

“Yes, I spent a lot of time in the Outer Rim with Master Velieris. When I was knighted I got to spend more time in the Temple, but I prefer to see history where it was written. That being the case I’m on the move a lot. And thankfully not into the heat of battle,” Millia responded to the statement about the state of the Jedi Order.

As she looked over the mules trying to judge the animal’s cleanliness she sensed Dagon regarding her. There was a moment of familiarity that was quickly replaced by the realization that she was something rare. Kuranu quite literally preferred to live their lives in bubbles, never taking the chance to be attacked by germs. Millia was the only member of her species that she had ever heard of in the Jedi Order. She knew there had to be others, but being an oddity a historic member so to speak was a source of pride for Millia.

“The Halls of Knowledge were cleaned out and its contents spread throughout the galaxy to other Jedi sites before the time of Palpatine. The archives are quite vague actually about where they were located,” Millia rarely skipped to the headline. She gave more information that was truly needed, the trait of a good storyteller she would say. “That being the case I was able to find one record that was a bit more precise. A map actually, but no names or anything.”

She fumbled around in her satchel before pulling out a data puck and tapped the top button. A holomap of the
Ashlendu Mountains appeared with a neon green halo over one of the peaks. “This is my best guess as to where to start. Though I have a good feeling that by the time we reach the limits of our furry friends here that the Force will give us more clues.”

"Hmm... it seems like we've got to head to that peak." he rubbed his chin, examining the holomap provided by the Archivist, "But yeah, I agree -- the Force will aid us. the closer we are" Dagon nodded before mounting the mule on the left, his other hand pulling the reigns of the second mule to Millia, "Time to find out." a lopsided smirk crossed his face.

And off they went climbing the Ashlendu Mountains.

"... sure is a relief -- not having to swing the lightsaber for a change." he said stretching his arms, "You ever been on the front, Millia?"

Millia was relieved that Dagon was on board with the direction their search should start in, but not confident enough to charge in and ignore any other clues that might be sent their way. It was the way of the Jedi to listen to the Force, but many Jedi assume the first statement is always the best. Millia was one that was always kept an open mind and was willing to change direction as the Force nudged her towards a different path.

She started up the mountains beside Dagon keeping a good arm’s length between her and the mules. It wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate their help, even going so far as to tell them through the Force, if her connection was strong enough to reach them. But they were quite obviously not germ free. And Millia’s people just didn’t take chances with germs.

“I have been in several minor battles. Skirmishes really,” Millia answered Dagon’s question. “I certainly would not call that the front. But we all serve the Force in different ways. I am not afraid to wield my blade when needed, but my skills lie in more scholarly endeavors. My Master was a warrior though. She led me into many situations that I was not comfortable. I learned much about my capabilities, but I still like to stay in my comfort zone when possible.”

"... But we all serve the Force in different ways..."

"
Indeed, we do." Dagon nodded before hopping off the mule to walk beside the Archivist. It felt odd to be riding the mount when his companion was walking on her own.

"Sometimes we don't have much of a choice, though -- the comfort zone gets slipped right from under our feet." he shrugged. "How did you end up as an archivist? Knack for new horizons?"

Millia gave a bit of a frown as Dagon dismounted his mule. “You do not need to walk just because of my quirks,” she said with a sigh. “The fact that we don’t know what kind of bugs and germs live on these mules, I don’t feel comfortable riding on one’s back. You’ll find that I can keep up however and that my stamina will not wane over the course of our trip.”

She did give a smile when Dagon made mention of the fact that their comfort zone was not something that the Force always meant them to be within. “Yes, if we had a choice I would not carry a lightsaber at all. But even in the best of times things come up that require more force than just brain power and a good connection with the Force. So I carry a weapon. I even train with it, believe it or not,” she gave a giggle. “But I do not rush to use it. How I became an archivist? Ramped curiosity. I asked so many questions as a youngling that one Master suggested that I should search out the answers. Finding things once thought lost. Even ideas that cannot be held in one’s hands is the way to answer those questions. So here I am. And how did you find yourself walking between a germaphobe archivist and a smelly mule?”

Millia gave a bit of a frown as Dagon dismounted his mule. "You do not need to walk just because of my quirks," she said with a sigh. "The fact that we don't know what kind of bugs and germs live on these mules, I don't feel comfortable riding on one's back. You'll find that I can keep up however and that my stamina will not wane over the course of our trip."

"Sat all the while through hyperspace to here -- my legs need a stretch." he said, casually stretching his arms. That was only half the reason, of course.

A tender smile curved his lips as she told him how she'd become an archivist. Ramped curiosity, as Milla called it, was something they both shared. The only difference was she branched out into an explorer, while he dove into the grime work of an investigator. The raven-haired Knight wondered whether he would've been in her shoes, in her spot, were there no war with the Sith. Maybe. But perhaps he was reluctant to admit how alive he felt when he walked the line between life and death in combat.

He huffed a chuckle through his nostrils to her question. "Uh, think I needed a break from the confines of a warship or the skyscraper rooftops on Denon." Dagon admitted. "Heard a few Jedi doubting your theory on the Halls of Knowledge and..." he glanced at the mule, the smirk on his face widening. "...well, they do call me as stubborn as a mule a lot."

"So here I am." the Jedi grinned.

"By the way, locals said, uh, mules can carry a hefty pack but, umm, they kinda get tired easily -- you've got somewhat an idea when do we camp, where do we move on our own?"

((ooc: sorry for the wait! work was hectic last week))

A smirk came to Millia’s lips when Dagon said he’d been sitting for too long. She wasn’t the most social of beings in the galaxy. Some would call her aloof, but she knew that excuse meant Dagon wasn’t comfortable riding as she walked, and didn’t want to make it a discussion. Millia would not push that any farther. He was a Jedi as well, it would not hurt him to walk.

“Sometimes a break from the norm is very much needed,” Millia said with a nod as they continued their walk towards the peak she believed house the Halls of Knowledge at one time. The fact that Dagon referred to himself as a mule in simile, was a little ironic and made Milia giggle a bit. “And I appreciate the back up. Sometimes just because what is flashy is not still present does not mean there is nothing to be learned. I hope you didn’t come to prove them wrong… I don’t anticipate finding a groundbreaking discovery, just maybe a small answer as to why.”

Millia hummed and raised her map to investigate. “From what I saw there are several places that should be sufficient to camp and allow our furry friends to recuperate their stamina.” She pointed with a finger at one spot. “This is a large ridge with plenty of tree cover. It would be my first selection.” She pointed to a second spot a little further up the mountain. “If the mules can get us here there is a cave. I suspect it would be more secure. But I don’t anticipate any attack coming. We should be quite safe at either or both if the mules require rest that often. The cave is about nearly twice as far as the ridge, from there we will definitely be able to reach the point we will have to leave the mules behind and continue on our own.”

OOC: No worries I was out of commission myself for a few of the days. Good to see you back

image.png

"And I appreciate the back up. Sometimes just because what is flashy is not still present does not mean there is nothing to be learned. I hope you didn't come to prove them wrong… I don't anticipate finding a groundbreaking discovery, just maybe a small answer as to why."

"Hey, they said there's nothing -- anything small or big we find is good enough." he chuckled. "But no, you're right - a break from the norm is sometimes needed. I guess you could this adventure that. Besides, the journey is what matters, not the destination." it sounded cliche, but it was true. Destinations, more often than not, flopped. Putting all your expectations on the endpoint of an adventure overshadowed the experience of the journey itself and the journey almost never failed to deliver. You always learned something of value, especially from the people beside you.

He mulled over the map Millia had produced and the options she provided, "Mm." Dagon glanced to the shifting clouds in the sky. "The more we climb, the more unpredictable the weather becomes, right? Let's go for the cave -- offers us shelter in case we need it and the mules' job is done. They can go back to their handlers for a rest."

--

As if on cue, upon unloading everything needed from the mules and setting the equipment right over the threshold into the cave, the parting clouds converged turning grey and the skies softly rumbled as rain began to gradually wash over the green landscape.

"Lovely." he murmured sarcastically. "Any chance you know how long the rain'll last, Millia?" he asked, assuming she had researched well Phateem's weather conditions.

The higher up option was chosen. Millia was glad about it. She didn’t wish to push the mules too hard, but having to stop twice and once keeping the mules close by as they rested was not an appealing option to the Kuranu Jedi. Letting the mules leave at the cave was a great plan to Millia. It would mean a little more work for her and Dagon, but Millia had honestly figured on carrying all the gear themselves if they were not able to get a speeder. As much relief as the mules gave were a bonus to her.

Millia looked to the skies as they approached the cave. Storms lingered, that would put a wrench in her initial timetable, wet muddy trails would take longer than nice dry solid ones. Why couldn’t the old Jedi put the Halls of Knowledge on a properly civilized planet with repulsor technology?

Thankfully they were able to get the equipment off the mules and send them on their way. If they were to stay one would surely wander out into the storm and the only thing worse than a germ infested animal was a wet smelly germ infested animal. As they settled for a rest Dagon asked how long she figured the storm would last. “I chose this point in the planet’s revolution because it was the least stormy,” Millia explained as she took a datapad out of her satchel. “In Phateem’s winter sometimes days are wiped out by storms. From what I read the summer storms are both shorter and less frequent.” She pressed buttons and the map showed on the datapad including their position and a radar map sent from her ship. “Looks like we’ve got a couple hours of this hard stuff. Maybe a sprinkle after that, but died down enough to resume our climb.”

"Yep." Dagon acknowledged as he put down the last of the equipment packs inside the cave. Millia had come prepared, planning way ahead their journey to set up a camp here before they struck the peaks when they were rested. "Gives us enough time to rest and recharge. Climb looks somewhat steep." he remarked and pulled out a pair of energy rations and offered one to his companion. "Want one?"

The raven-haired knight munched on the bar as he sat down on the stone floor of the cave. "We should do this more often -- or well, I should since you've got that going already. Unless you prefer going solo on exploring and I'm already intruding." he chuckled.

Millia remembered looking up at the mountainside before they stopped for the storm and to release the mules back to wherever they came from. “It will be a difficult climb,” she agreed with Dagon. “The rain will likely make the first part even harder. Starting fresh after a rest will be a good thing.”

The Kuranu Jedi took the offered ration with a smile. “Thank you,” she offered with a smile. “I do have my own as well. We can share. Make sure neither of us goes without nutrition.” She took a bite of the ration knowing it was built for efficient replenishment of energy and vital body vitamins and minerals, not for taste, so she was not disappointed when it was not the most enjoyable food experience.

Millia had a random thought of her last adventure partner. When Mi'la Undari Mi'la Undari entered her thoughts a smile formed on the purple-skinned knight’s lips. “I enjoy working with others on these missions. As long as they aren’t expecting to get into fights with long dead Sith Lords or something like that. I’m beginning to see that my trips are a bit of adventure, but not always the kind that others enjoy. I hate hearing how boring my work is.”

"Hey, can't promise anything--" he grinned, crossing his arms behind his head as he leaned back on the cave's wall. "-- things somehow always go sideways before they go straight when I'm involved." Dagon wouldn't have been surprised to find half a dozen Sith assassins or cultists ambushing them when they eventually find the Halls. "Who knows, though? Maybe today's gonna be the exception."

His eyes drifted to the pouring weather outside. The skies in the distance were gradually brightening up and the clouds dispersing. It wouldn't be long before the shower was over. "Gonna be a bit muddy and slippery out there but nothing a Jedi can't overcome. Won't lie, I'm kind of excited to see what we dig up. You ready?"

Millia looked to Dagon with a momentary frown. The last exploration had not gone smoothly, but it turned out ok in the end. Millia got what she intended and made a friend…well more than a friend. Suddenly the possibility of this simple excavation going ‘sideways’ didn’t seem like that bad of a turnout. There was no way it would match the outcome of the last one, but something unexpected and a new friend was certainly possible and welcome.

“So you’re the type that thinks you have an effect on events?” Millia asked curiously with a smile now on her lips. “In looking over historical sites, who makes a discovery has little to do with what is discovered. The moving of the items within the Halls of Knowledge seems very abrupt and I can find no reasoning in the records. It is quite possible that something bad happened here and the Jedi of the time didn’t feel like documenting it was wise, better just forget it. If we should find something sinister I will be glad for your company. And please don’t assume it to be your fault. I am often looking for these bad things.”

The Kuranu knight’s eyes followed Dagon’s gaze to the edge of the storm. She wasn’t one to trust her own guesses when it came to storms. She again referenced her datapad with radar information relayed from her ship. “It does indeed appear that the storm will be clearing soon.” She turned her attention to the droid hovering deeper inside the cave. “Alright DATA lead the way.”

The droid beeped an affirmative and made his way out of the cave and started up the mountain. “DATA will let us know if the path gets too bad. Mud doesn’t bother me.” That was true. Dirt was not what Millia was afraid of. It was what could possibly be in the dirt. Right after a rain however she found it was better to move quickly than to let the warming and drying encourage germs to multiply. “Archivist is actually a job that your hands get dirty often. I just need to clean up more often than most. I am ready. If the pathway holds out and we move fast, we should make it to the site of the Halls before night falls.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom