Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Sating the Curiosity

Outfit: Dress
Equipment: Ceremonial spear
Tags: Gerwald Lechner Gerwald Lechner

Zaya had learnt a few names of the people close the Aelin through her visions when she visited the Alpha. Names of faces that she was growing more and more curious in meeting and knowing, back home there was only a handful of them so she knew everyone and everyone knew her. It was nice and safe but also, never sparked a curiosity in her. Travelling with her brother to these woods, seeing all the different and various Lupo, it triggered a curiosity in being social and interesting with strangers that she never really had before. In fact, there had been times that she could have swore that she was bored with people, but perhaps that happens when you are in a smaller clan. Letting her fingers comb through her loose hair, she sighed and wondered if she should do anything with her hair or just leave it as it was. In the end, she left it as it was, it had been awhile since she let her hair fall like this and she enjoyed the feel of it in the cool temperatures of the forest. In the desert, it was just too hot to let her hair cascade randomly but she was slowly adjusting to the different temperatures here.

Smoothing her dress, she closed her eyes and paused, she could feel some more visions coming to her. Some of them were random but she saw a familiar face, a face she had never seen in person but seen in visions before. Her curiosity about the man grew more as she realised that he was not like most of the Lupo around here, he was not brought up in Lupo ways, or at least had abandoned them long ago and lived with humans. She could understand Aelin's interest in the man, he offered a different perspective, a perspective that could be crucial as the visions of war were coming ever closer to being a reality. It seemed to be that she was fated to meet this Gerwald Lechner today, Zaya was curious how he would be, she was also worried that she would end up having to demonstrate her powers. Or at least have to succumb them before she was overwhelmed.

Reaching for her spear, her thumb traced over the markings that her ancestors craved and crafted centuries ago. It was a simple weapon, no magic or powers imbued by the Gods, however it was special for her family since it was the spear that gained their ancestor freedom from the Fayth. It was the same spear that her older brother had used when they escaped the Fayth raid on their old home. To her knowledge, this simple spear had killed more Fayth than most weapons in the forest Lupo arsenal. However, she could not linger in her family's history, she needed to arrive at the meeting point where she would spot Gerwald. She wasn't sure where it was or when she needed to arrive there by but she knew from previous experience that things fell into place somehow.

Wandering the encampment, looking around, seeing what the various people were getting along. Her skills as a seer were spreading around, it wasn't exactly something she was jumping at the opportunity to demonstrate but she never denied it either. Looking around, she spotted Gerwald, wandering over to him, Zaya coughed politely to announce herself. "I am Zaya, my visions said that I would be seeing you today. Curious if you would be open to talking, I have not met an off-worlder before." Zaya tilted her head slightly, curious what he might think of her interest in the wider galaxy.

Relationship Status: It's Complicated
W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

WEARING: xxx
TAG: Zaya Tawfik Zaya Tawfik

It was a cooler morning than usual. Gerwald woke to the visible vapor from his breath as he woke. The makeshift lodge he had created was not the warmest of structures, but it was better than sleeping in the wind. Islimore was windier than Stewjon, and something Gerwald was still adjusting to. Sleep was still hard to come by knowing the Fayth had his ancestral home, but something about being on Islimore soothed the lack of it.

A fire crackled just outside his tent where a pot of caf was brewing. It was strong, but they did not have the filters Gerwald was used to. Something about the bold flavor was appealing to him. A lot of work had gone into the encampment as it was, and there was still so much to do. Every day that passed pushed them closer toward the first major conflict with the Fayth. Whether that was their doing or whether the Fayth attacked first remained to be seen. It meant the camp needed to be ready to defend itself.

Gerwald had time for his caf, but he did not have time for distractions. It was why a small sigh escaped his lips at the sound of a voice he did not recognize.

He stood as the woman drew near, her introduction was certainly an interesting one. A seer? Gerwald had known plenty that had been gifted with visions, and was well aware of how fluid they were. A vision was nothing more than a possibility, any experienced force user knew that.

“Visions… don’t believe in them, but I got time to talk if you have time to work.”

Gerwald looked the woman over. She did not seem too weak, but she did not look like someone accustomed to hard work either. In one hand was a spear, meaning she preferred to kill from a distance. As a seer she likely was not prone to conflict if she could avoid it. Her attire was not appropriate for the kind of work he had in mind.

“You’re gonna wanna wear something you can get dirty in though.”

Zaya eyed the man up, his outfit was definitely more suited for the weather, the desert wolf had the issue that all her clothing was suited to much warmer, intense sun and heat. She seldom had clothing that was suited to such cooler weather. Smelling the bitter tones of the caf as it brewed, Zaya had her turn to sigh. Another Lupo who doubted her skills, this was the one thing she missed of the desert, everyone she met from there understood and accepted that she was a seer, that her visions were real and her powers strong. However, it seemed to be a power never truly understood or used outside of the desert, much to her frustrations and disappointment.

But she did not come unprepared for this inevitability. "I am surprised Gerwald. The humans, they call this power we have the Force, right? Force Visions are a thing that exist among them and you know of them. So, why is it so hard to believe that my skills in this particular is so great? Though, I must admit what I do is not a Force Vision, not truly, it is something different, comes from the way we were created. Hard to explain, harder to comprehend at the moment." Zaya massaged a temple as she felt the intense pressure of visions coming again.

"My visions have told me that you know a lot about war. Also shown that you have strong thoughts and feelings about two of the people who have voiced interest in being Anasi, do you think either of them could lead us into war, battle?" Zaya was concerned about both of them, she did not know these forest wolves and the visions of war, they concerned her deeply since extinction was very possible with their numbers.

When he mentioned work and needing to change into something more appropriate for said work, Zaya tilted her head, "what work did you have in mind? I did not bring clothes for hard labour, at least none of the ones I have are clean." Her brother was not helpful in cleaning clothes, especially when it was his turn.

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

“They do call it the force,” Gerwald replied in an instant. “And I am the leader of one of the greatest force traditions of the modern galaxy. Which is why I do not believe in visions. They are unreliable and nothing more than a shadow of what is possible, not what will be.”

His words were spoken with an authority that came from knowledge and experience, not a place of ignorance. This Zaya would at least see that he was not like others who lacked an understanding of how they worked. Gerwald had his own visions, farseeing, other waking dreams, many of which had various levels of accurate outcomes.

“You saw a vision, and yet, you came looking for me.”

There was a point to be made if Zaya was listening, as well as answer to the question she was asking beneath all of her observations.

“Created, by alchemy… through the force. No, they are force visions. Most of our kind I have met recently do not have experience beyond the old ways. Most of our lore is nothing more than fancy stories to explain the exploits possible with those strong in the force. Your skill is not what I am questioning. Just your reliance on the visions themselves.”

He sighed as the matter of his opinions or observations of those who would lead was asked. Gerwald had never heard anyone state they intended to claim the role of Anasi, but he could guess as to who she was meaning.

“No one has made a claim on the title, and yet there are at least three clans here who have had a claim on that title. MIne included. The question is not whether I think the others could lead us, the question you should be asking is who can.”

The wolf motioned for the woman to follow as he walked into his tent to retrieve a work shirt. It would be much too large for the dark skinned lupo, but she would keep her dress clean at least. He tossed it her way.

“The answer to that question is that we do not have anyone capable of leading us. Declan only sees blood when he gets into the thick of the hunt. Brynjar does not listen to anyone and twists their words to hear what he wants rather than what is being communicated. Freya, and her clan, are nothing more than missionaries, and Aelin… she does not yet know herself. I have been critical of all of them because all of them have it within themselves to be better than what they are.”

Gerwald paused.

“Until they become who they are on the inside… this endeavor is doomed before it begins.”

And yet Gerwald was there continuing to fortify the encampment. As for the work she had asked about, the lupo picked up a shovel and tossed it her way.

“We are digging a trench on the south side. There is a wall going up today, and it starts with a strong foundation.”

She shook her head, there was much that she could learn from Gerwald and she was interested in learning all that. But, it seemed that he did not understand what she meant. Her powers, they were more than just Force Visions. She had what Gerwald's people called Force Visions, what she connected to when doing her visions was something deeper. Something older than the concept of the Force. "I understand, you have spent a long time surrounded around certain people who understood the galaxy and the Force in a certain way, but our origins, we connect to the cosmos in ways that humans cannot. I... I don't fully know how it works, or how my visions work... Not yet at least. No. My skills as a seer, they aren't reliant on a power that you think I am using. That is all I can state for now, for now, it is all I know."

Zaya taking the large shirt, she sniff it to check how clean it was. Also slightly concerned of having the scent of a man on her, she was unmated and being a seer, she was normally thought of mating with another desert wolf since that was their ways for seers. If her brother thought she was bonding with a male outside their people, he might flip out on her. Her hesitation finally cause her to put it on slowly, she hoped that the scent would not linger and that her brother would maintain his cool since she was only attempting to know the people around her. Especially knowing those that are considered to be of note or important to events moving forward.

"We were mixes of beings that connected to things that could tap into things not of this plane." Zaya stated in retort, but then blinked, she didn't know that before she said it but when she said it, something connected in her mind. Was she leaving this plane? What did that mean? "Our lore. Fact can often be stranger than fiction, but perhaps you shall see that the lore might differ to reality but not as much as divergent as you currently believe. Weapons from centuries ago, forged in myth and legend are being discovered and brought back to reality."

Zaya giggled deeply and shook her head, "Declan does not seek leadership, from my experiences, it would take a special Anasi to bring the North into the fold. They are very independent people. Brynjar. Brynjar does not get along with you, and you don't get him, that view is limited. His true issues lie in family and the lies that are hundreds of years in the making." Zaya paused, "Aelin. Aelin. She. She is quickly finding her feet, the concern comes with males courting her and those wishing to overshadow her. As for Freya and her clan. I do not think Freya wishes to lead."

"I note that there is a clan, and names that you did not mention in your criticisms. Lechner has led before, there are two Lechners still around to lead again if they so choose. Do you wish to lead the Lupo people Gerwald?" Zaya asked curious as she held the spade, feeling the weight of it in one hand. She stabbed the blunt end of her spear into the ground, sinking it a foot into the ground, revealing impressive strength despite her more lithe figure.

Pushing the shovel deep into the earth, she was curious in how it felt. Desert was all she knew, sand was all she had really interacted with so earth and it being wet and clay like, it was all unique experiences for her. "Understood. I am surprised that you forest wolves aren't more nomadic. Would make it harder for the Fayth to find you."

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

Gerwald smirked. This one was as persistent with her beliefs as Freya was with hers. Had he not known any better Gerwald would have suggested the blonde had put this desert wolf up to it. They were both right in their assumptions about her visions, and the point was not worth arguing. Witches called it magick, when in truth it was simply another way to access the force. After all, there was nothing truly beyond or older than the force. The force was in all, and the force as all.

Her hesitation to put the shirt on was noticed. “It’s clean.” Gerwald’s words were short as he could only assume why she did not want to wear it. The work they were doing would have her covered in mud and the earth. Whatever her concerns they were moot. “If you do not put it on I cannot promise you will remain so.” Not that it mattered to a wolf.

Gerwald did not understand the need Zaya had to defend the others. Gerwald’s statements were as true as any. From his perspective Gerwald was the only one in the camp with actual experience in assessing others with the purpose of developing them. Unwarranted criticism was harsh, but constructive observations which could make one better were a salve and ointment to the sting they could bring.

He shook his head.

“There is no need to defend them or dissect my observations. You asked for my opinion, and if you’re going to dismiss it so readily there was no need to ask it. That being said, I stand by what I said, and my personal feelings to any of them have no bearing. I am not the only one who has made the observations I gave you about each of them.”

Gerwald was direct, but not angry. If she had never met an outsider before, there was much to learn about the lens by which things were viewed. They did not see life from the same perspective.

Her next question did not come as a surprise either. Gerwald had intentionally left his clan from his observations. Did he want to lead the Lupo?

“No.”

It was direct, but quiet. There were two things Gerwald believed. Leadership was never something to be desired. Those who wanted it rarely did so for the right reasons. Gerwald had never asked to be Lord Commander, and yet the duty fell to him. The wolf also knew the others would begrudgingly accept him, if they did at all. To his knowledge Aelin would be the only one that would support him if the lot fell to him, but even that was not certain.

“For our purpose here, my brother or I would be best suited to lead our people into war, but we would not be the best suited to lead them after. War is what I know. I have spent my life perfecting it. I am not made to lead in times of peace.”

They moved toward the southern portion of the camp. Zaya followed with another observation which made Gerwald chuckle out loud.

“So we finally have another strategist among us. You must stay close to me then.” The wolf turned and smiled as he pointed to the ruins of the palace around them. “Declan told me the walls make everyone feel safe. It is not ideal, but I agreed with him that the confidence which comes from safety is something we need right now.”

Gerwald looked to the ground.

“This looks as good a place as any to start,” he said as the blade of his shovel broke the ground. “Start digging.”

Shaking her head, Zaya looked over to Gerwald, "it is not the cleanliness I was worried about. It was urm... other concerns." There was a slight blush to her cheeks as she coughed and looked away. Suddenly the cold forest felt warm, Zaya was not use to being lost for words but trying to attempt to discuss the courting rituals of her people seemed hard to discuss or at least very awkward. She wore the shirt, while she could clean the dress fairly easily, if there was a chance to prevent it getting dirty then she should take that opportunity.

"I was not objecting to criticism of them, I was not attempting to defending them. I barely interacted with most of them, I was just offering differing insight on them from what the visions I have received on them." Zaya mentioned in a neutral tone, she was not worried about Gerwald, he seemed to enjoy discussions from what she seen of other interactions he had. "Our personal views always come into affect, we seek out opinions that match our own by nature. Does not mean personal views are incorrect, they can just colour the truth."

It was understandable, being around war constantly, it can make it seem like you cannot settle in times of peace. "This war. If it comes, we don't know how long it will last. This could be centuries long. So, we might not see peace on Islimore in our lifetimes. Previous wars with humans were not short affairs." Zaya pointed out as she stabbed the spade into the earth and shifted the earth into a pile to one side.

Looking at the ruined palace, Zaya tilted her head, there were ruins and lost cities in the desert, she had seen the ruins and had visions of the cities when they use to be in their prime. "Must be a forest wolf thing. Being stationary means that Fayth and humans will find us."

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

Other concerns? Gerwald laughed.

“Please, there is no way your visions showed you anything of my reputation.”

He was still not understanding the reason for the concern. Gerwald had not been raised in the old ways. His only caution regarding a mate was the fact he was raised among humans and they would need to be trustworthy with what Gerwald was. Stewjon was a very superstitious planet, much of their ideas and culture matching the old ways of the Lupo. Gerwald had not believed in their gods either, but he knew what their beliefs could drive them to.

Zaya mentioned her visions again in the explanation of her position. Seers were annoying in that regard. Even those among force users often relied on shadow and vapor in favor of what was tangible. He supposed they were tangible to her, which was why she clung to them. Like the wall which surrounded the camp, it made her comfortable, feel safe.

“I do not deny that personal feelings can color the truth, but that does not make it any less true. Remember that. It does not take a seer to know that you will be a great adviser to whichever wolf leads us.”

There was more he was tempted to say, especially about Brynjar, but Gerwald thought better of it. They did not get along, but only because of the damned pride the Alpha insisted upon. Gerwald was convinced Bryn was headed toward a violent death. It seemed to be all he chased, but that was not where his mind needed to be focused.

“War can be long, yes, but it can also be over in an instant. As I have maintained, however, the Fayth are not our worst enemy. The Lupo are… specifically those in this encampment.”

Gerwald huffed as he lifted a massive rock from the broken ground. While he could use the force, he could not stay in peak physical condition by using it as a crutch. The wolf was not above hard work.

“We focus so much on the Fayth we ignore the rivalries and packs forming within the camp. Our enemy cannot be defeated unless we are one pack, and I do not wish a constant state of war for our people. No, what makes the most sense is not always the right thing.”

Another heap of dirt found its way to the pile.

“Remember that too.”

Gerwald worked a bit more as Zaya continued her observations. There was one that struck a chord with Gerwald. Fayth and humans. His head canted to look over his shoulder as she spoke. With a raised brow he turned to face her fully, allowing his shovel to prope him up.

“Not all humans are our enemy. There are those who have committed great atrocities, yes, but the Lupo are not innocent either. I would also suppose that means the Fayth are not all guilty as well.”

He knew his words would be hard for some to hear, but Gerwald was counting on the fact Zaya was wise enough to understand the point he was making.

“You forget I was raised among humans, and in many ways, as one of them.”

Zaya sighed and shook her head. "I do not know you much beyond what I have already stated. If I was truly demonstrate my abilities, I would sit and I would tell you things few bar yourself knew. Things I can access and that I have demonstrated to others. For one who has seen so much of the galaxy, you seem to have such a narrow view on things, Aelin was much more open to my skills you know." Zaya had a soft chuckle then shrugged, ideally Gerwald would accept that her powers were not these Force Visions but perhaps it was not this Gerwald that would accept them but one in the future, one that had seen more, accepted more or heard from Zaya a more accurate understanding of her powers. She could only hope she guessed.

"Ah, I did not say your thoughts were true or not. I agree they can still be true, and valid in some form. But then there is the flipside of accepting that while your views and opinions can be true, they can be limited, no one can fully understand what is going through the mind of a person. Not even I. I might see all there is and will be to a person, but I will never accurately assess a person." Zaya felt another blush flush her cheeks but this time from the compliment from Gerwald about being a good advisor. "Thank you. Seers have always been advisors to clan Alphas in my region of the deserts, the most powerful mating with them. Since the Fayth attacks, there are fewer seers. At least fewer true seers. We were a threat since we always saw their attacks coming." It was the explanation her siblings, cousins and uncle gave, it was why she was kept protected by the best fighter in her clan.

Gerwald was holding back on thoughts and Zaya could tell what thoughts, it didn't even take visions to know. The camp gossip wheel talked much about the tension and rivalry between Gerwald and Brynjar, two sides of the same coin from what she could tell. "I have heard of your rivalry building with Brynjar Threist. Doesn't take a seer to tell you have more thoughts on him. I just ask that you think about every human you worked with in the CIS, I doubt you got along with them all, perhaps even despised one or two. But when the need arose, you fought with them and defended them. Find that with Brynjar is all I ask." Zaya shrugged both Brynjar and Gerwald were formidable fighters, from the rumours the two of them were life long fighters.

"No faction is truly united. Sith, Jedi, Witches, even in the Confederacy, they worked together and fought together, but they were never united forever. We are different clans, different types of wolves, living in different worlds it can feel like. We can unite to end the threat to our lives, our homes, our families. But after that threat is gone, then we can respectfully separate. Penning us in walled cages, to sleep, live and eat together when our lives, our cultures are so different. That is guaranteed to lead into arguments and fights. Anasi can hold it off, war can refocus goals and arguments but these things are temporary." She shifted more earth again with the shovel. "We are not one pack that will roam Islimore together, but we are one people that will fight as one to survive. No Lupo will go out of their way to kill another, even the most bloodthirsty know that we are too few for that."

Zaya stopped digging and looked over to Gerwald. "We start a war with the Fayth, we are attacking humans. Humans see that they are being attacked, or at least a branch is. Do you think they stand and do nothing or do they join the fight and attack as well? People defend their own kind, even if it is the extreme versions of themselves. They defend because they fear they will be next if they do not fight now." She slammed the shovel deep into the earth and shifted it once more. "I have seen humans do wonderful things, I have seen visions of humans and Lupos living in peace, perhaps uneasy for both, but living in peace. I concede that all humans should not, and do not have to die. But do you think our people are safe if the majority of humans currently living here are allowed to remain living here?"

"You forget, I do not know you Gerwald Lechner. I only know the snippets the visions have shown me."

Last edited:
W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

It was clear Zaya still had much to learn if she wanted to be an adviser. She would do well, but she lacked the experience needed to curb her statements in a more palatable manner. Gerwald was blunt, yes, but as a warrior it was expected of him. At least for now the two were simply speaking freely what they wanted. Her curiosity was going places Gerwald was not willing to travel down, so he redirected.

“What we do not allow people to see colors and shapes what we allow people to see, I will concede that, but never once have I stated I would not stand side by side with Brynjar. I cannot say he would do the same as long as he holds onto the pride he so desperately clings to.”

It was all Gerwald would say on the subject any further. They had work to finish, and Gerwald’s body language became closed to the woman. The only accurate observation to conclude would be he was done discussing that particular subject. She did not know what she spoke of, and the wolf was not going to enlighten her any further.

Missionaries… always poking and prodding.

“In that you are wrong. Lupo culture demands we fight to determine who leads us, to shed blood when we are wronged. We are built on a system that has us constantly at each other’s throats. Like it or not, the galaxy around us has changed, even the fayth. Some of the old ways must be put aside if we wish to thrive, if we wish to win. If they do not, the moment an Anasi does something another deems worth challenging…”

Gerwald stopped himself. It was clear he felt strongly about the condition of their kind and the behaviors he observed since his arrival. Part of him wanted to leave it all behind and allow them to see their failure, not to shield them from it, but Freya kept insisting he was needed. It was Zaya’s question about humanity which pulled Gerwald back to the conversation.

“No they will not.”

His answer was simple and straightforward.

“Humans do not interfere with the workings of other factions. The Fayth are the sort that some humans will be glad we intend to wipe them out. There are others who will not see it that way. Your question… you are essentially asking if we should allow the other humans to remain simply because of what if… I have seen a lot of genocide in my lifetime based on that two word question… what if.”

Gerwald allowed his words to sink in. There was never a case where genocide was excusable, and yet there were many times one group or another sought to justify it.

“If we wipe out all the human who live here we will be no better than the Fayth that took the sword to our kind.”

Zaya could tell that Gerwald was not interested in talking anymore in Brynjar and attempting to rebuild some connection. Zaya sighed deeply as she buried the shovel into the earth. "I never take the words of gossipers in this camp as gospel because gossip likes to exaggerate and be twisted for dramatic effect, but there are some who do not see you in favourable light. Because you look down upon a culture and tradition you have no understanding of, since you are raised by humans. It might not be pride blocking Brynjar from listening to you, might be your dismissal of the ways he was brought up in, the ways every Lupo on Islimore was brought up on. Change might be needed, but outsiders demanding that we conform and change to their will, that harkens back to the humans and the Fayth. It makes some reluctant to listen, even if the advice is sound." Zaya was not attempting to defend their traditions or pry more thoughts or feelings from Gerwald, just explain the situation he has found himself when looking at the others.

"You come from a human background as you admitted, have you tried to understand the ways? I do not mean the extremes, since there are people who are extreme in all areas. But have you actually stopped and tried adopting our ways?" Zaya asked with genuine curiosity because she feared that Gerwald hadn't sought to understand how the Lupo people acted. Fighting and and violence was prevalent in all clans but it did not mean death or permanent injury from her experiences. "Do humans not fight or spar or have leadership challenges that can be violent and bloody?" Asking genuinely curiosity since she had little knowledge on life outside her people. Visions of Gerwald had been the closest for her but it did not mean that she understand life outside Islimore.

She sighed deeply, now it was Gerwald assuming too much. Going to the extremes, genocide of the humans was never in her mind. "The humans are free to leave. It might seem harsh to uproot people who have lived here for generations but it is proven that Lupo and human cannot coexist on Islimore. We fought when humans first came, we were nearly wiped out during the purge and no human has treated us with any respect on Islimore. They cannot stay here, there are plenty of other worlds and other planets that they can live peacefully." Zaya shifted earth once more and knew what the response from Gerwald would be. "We were here first. This was our home first. We tried to accommodate them for centuries, then they tried to wipe us out. We have been generous. Now we need to be selfish and demand this planet be ours and ours alone. We deserve to rebuild in peace." There was a look of pain and hurt in her eyes, of knowledge of the cruelty of man and the need from many Lupo to be left alone.

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

”And they would be wrong. I understand it better than most, and more than many who would assume to lead us. Just because I look down on it, does not mean I do not understand it. I criticize it because I do.”

He looked at the young seer with a stoic gaze. She would not see untruth in what he said if she were to look for it. Gerwald was not one to look down upon something he did not understand. Many who clung to the traditions and culture did so out of blind obedience or ignorant preservation.

“It was the old songs that led me to find Bloodraven Hall, and it was my strict adherence to some of the old ways that have upset many. That is why I know it is pride that holds our people back. Many of them are cowards, but use what they want of our traditions to prove they are not. I have found in my time among men that the louder you have to deny something as true, the more true it likely is.”

He grinned, with a wave of his hand Gerwald used the force to clear the rest of the like they had been digging.

“I could do everything I want in this camp without you. I could have built those encampments without Declan’s help. With a wave of my hand I could be the Anasi if I wanted to. I am the strongest here, and when it comes to force use, I am the only master among our people aside from my brother. Yet, I do not seize it, nor do I lord it over anyone. I work with my hands and have the callouses to prove it.”

Gerwald picked his shovel back up and started working in the opposite direction.

“People see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear. They even defend what they want to defend. I did not come here to see our people refuse to co-exist with humanity. It would make us no different than any other xenophobic regime in the galaxy. Like it or not our people are known in the galaxy, what we do here on Islimore matters more than many want to admit. The Fayth are the our enemy, not all of humanity. An Islimore where they cannot live in peace, or fear of reprisal simply because they are not Lupo… tell me again… how does that not make us into the exact likeness of our enemy who has done the same to us?”

He paused.

“It is our responsibility to end the cycle of hatred and mistrust, and only those who are truly brave and strong among us will be able to see it through.”

"Tell me Gerwald of Clan Lechner, how many desert Lupo have you spoken to? How many Arctic Lupo? Have you spoken to many Forest Lupo outside Aelin, Freya and Brynjar? What you know about the Lupo is a teaspoon of how Lupo truly are like." She stopped and sigh, she didn't want to sound preaching to this outsider, "that isn't truly different to many, I am learning how vastly different our cultures can be coming to the forests. My point isn't to insult you, but ask you to stop and think for a moment that you are seeing what you want to see. Seeing the failings you want there to be and not understanding that there are nuances and differences out there. Does that mean we don't deserve criticism? No, but doesn't mean that what we do is any more wrong than the rest of the galaxy."

When Gerwald attempted to display a fraction of his true strength and talked about how he could simply take control and rule if he wanted. Zaya sat, and looked at him, "but we know that you do that, you are no better than the Fayth. Dictatorships are not good for anyone. Forcing yourself as Anasi and then forcing your views upon every Lupo would only divide us and ruin us. Because you would either accept the divisions it causes or kill outliers. Either way, we would be too weak to fight the Fayth." Zaya was not speaking through visions, she was speaking with wisdom she had to develop early in her years. "So, you can't do that. No Lupo can do that. Anasi might be won through challenges and combat, but a good leader does not force others to bend to their will, they seek balance. Moving with the flow like water, the path of least resistance."

"Tell me, have you spent any time with our people. Seeing how we live, how the gods and traditions shape daily lives? You call our people cowards, but have you been on Islimore all your life? Where all you have are stories, traditions, memories of when times were better, of when we were seen as people and not animals? Pride in the old ways is something that some cling onto, not because they are cowards Gerwald, but because the Fayth have beaten them so much that those old days seem glorious in comparison to what we suffer now." Zaya spoke with the knowledge of what the fear, the pain and the humiliation one felt because of the complete power the Fayth had here. "The old ways might be glorified, but at least we were respected as people, allowed to live our lives as we saw fit. That isn't possible now, so people cling to it because gives them hope. And hope is all that we have now."

Standing, she listened to what he had to say. She could understand the angle he had, he had been around humans that did not treat him as an animal, or at least she assumed that he hadn't been since he was an important figure in the CIS. "You weren't born here, you haven't lived through the purge. A purge that continues to happen." She spoke quietly, her past, the pain and suffering, it was never easy to talk about. "The Fayth destroyed the my people's way of life, we went from desert cities with endless knowledge to nomads barely able to survive. Being a seer is a potential death sentence since the Fayth despise us." She kept shovelling hard as she shifted the earth. "No human on Islimore has shared any compassion or kindness, they find out you are Lupo, they report you to the Fayth. We have warred with humans since they invaded our lands. Peace has never been easy, it has never been lasting. Either they live or we do."

"This isn't xenophobia, this is about survival. We are dying and allowing humans to remain here as potential threats to our revival as a race, it is too dangerous. Maybe in a hundred years or two hundred years, things would have improved for us enough to feel secure enough to allow humans a third chance at peace. But they have had their tries, they betray us, they murder us. They cannot stay after the war, not while we recover." Zaya spoke with a cold fire, one that burnt with pain, anger and suffering.

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

Gerwald scoffed. This one was just like Brynjar. She only listened to what she wanted to hear, and even at that not completely. The lecture given on dictatorships was unwarranted considering the point Gerwald made was that he chose not to exercise the power he had to wrestle control of the collective clans. Could he? Yes. Was he going to? No. If Zaya could not see that then she was not a seer after all.

Quietly he went back to work. It was clear she only intended to preach her gospel to any who would listen to it. There was a visible frustration as Gerwald continued to dig the trenches, especially when the reason she used to justify her view was not Xenophobia was the exact definition of Xenophobia.

At this Gerwald could only laugh. He pulled his personal datapad out and opened up a page containing a description of Xenophobia. Gerwald showed it to the woman.

fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

“Claim what you will to justify your answer. No matter the reason you want to give, it is still by exact definition Xenophobia. You have never known life without the Fayth either. You were raised on this planet as you say. Aelin, Freya, her brothers, most of the Lupo in the encampment are offworlders for right now. Surely you can understand that none of us will see it the same way you do. Co-existing has been the only way for us to survive.”

He paused for a moment.

“I do not want to argue with you, but you know nothing of how my kind was treated on Stewjon. There were stories about the woods we lived in. Legends of monstrous beasts that would eat little children. We were hunted because of it. My sister was imprisoned because she could use the force. It took years to change the culture, to show them they did not need to cling to their superstition, but we did it. Now they all know what I am and look to me for advice, leadership, and protection.”

“I understand that our people on Islimore have been living a life of survival and it is all they have known, but for the sake of our future that has to stop. If we carry a survival mentality into our victory it will be the very thing that defeats us in the end. We are fractured as it is. The north is wary of the forest wolves. Desert wolves are elusive and mystic. Our people already fear what they do not understand among our own kind, or cling to rivalries that are long past dead.”

“Our people need a vision for the future that makes us better, not one that simply makes us free.”

Zaya sighed, she did not assume it had been his intentions but it was the simple way he stated such things, as if the world would bend to his will when that was never going to be the case. That was what she was trying to stress, that any Lupo can think they could think they could do as Gerwald stated, but it did not mean it would be effective. Dictators were born through thoughts like that, and that was what she feared could happen because while she was a seer, she did not see all and all times. People could be unpredictable in ways. "I did not mean to offend you Gerwald, just pointing out that way would not work. You might agree that it doesn't, but you were the one to bring it up as well, so I had fears that you could think a dictatorship won that way could be good."

When he handed over the datapad with the definition some sort definition of xenophobia, she growled, she could feel the many generations of pain, anger and death burning inside her but she breathed in deeply and put it to one side. "Do not lecture me on human words Gerwald, their definitions are not a science and interpretative." She tapped away and presented him with a different definition.

dislike of or prejudice against people from other races

"See, it is important to not I do not dislike, nor am I prejudice against humans." Zaya handed him back the datapad. "I am pointing out facts. We have fought two wars, heading into a third, every war has made us weaker. This future war could be the death of our people and allow the Fayth the chance to complete thousands of years of attempted genocide. Or we can win this." Knuckles tightened on the spade as she buried it deeper in the earth, "humans have seen themselves as superior and better than us from their first steps on Islimore, they have been xenophobic and genocidal from the start. We have tried peace, we have tried hiding, now we should be allowed to try freedom from them. All you want is to continue the cycle, that is the problem here, you aren't proposing anything different to what we have done throughout our history. And what happens when we win, we do it your way and the humans start another war, we can't face a fourth war. I will not have my children, grandchildren fearing war because humans live here and they have created a systemic xenophobia in their culture to us. Hating us, wanting us dead, it seems to be bred into them Gerwald. We need the humans, the civilisation they created here, gone if we are to have a real chance at peace. Does that mean all humans must die, no. Gods no, I want to see the day that peace can be achieved but the humans have built a civilisation here from the ground that has been built to hate us and kill us all."

"No human on Islimore can move past that, no Lupo born here can move past that. Doesn't mean we would want to isolate completely or refuse visitors. It means that the humans that built a hateful, systemically evil civilisation, they need to go." Zaya was trying to remain calm as she talked, she was scared. Scared that these humans they fought would be offered a hand of peace and then she would end up seeing her children, her mate die because she did not push hard enough for them to be protected from the dangers.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she stopped shovelling the dirt. "I am sorry that you suffered as well. I understand your reasonings Gerwald, I am truly trying to be understanding. But you haven't seen the humans here. It isn't just the Fayth, it is all of them. They all hate us, peace can't be built when one people is spent their whole lives thinking they are superior, better and have every right to exterminate another race. And that race is told they are nothing more than animals and they should be hunted as such. That is how we are seen here. How can peace ever last? It failed centuries ago and we ended up with the purge. We tried to run and hide, but here we are and coming back for the third war. Is my comprise so bad? One where we don't kill them all, but we force them out and dismantle their hateful civilisation here?" Zaya genuinely curious why her ideas were wrong. Wondering what they could do that hasn't been done, that hasn't failed already.

W O R K H O R S E
ger-template.png

”And now you are playing a game of semantics to justify your fear. If you want to play that game then let me assure you I am well enough versed in basic to tell you these definitions say the same thing. Do not suffer from the same pride that befalls our people where you must cling to a view so narrow that you anchor the rest of us to the fate your path leads to.”

This time Gerwald would not pause long enough to allow a retort.

“It is factually incorrect to say ALL humans on Islimore are the same way. Look at our camp and the views which permeate it. How different we are. Humans are the same, even among the Fayth. How do you think Aelin and I are kept abreast of their movements? Or were you aware that we have humans in their number who wish to see the Fayth lose and are loyal to our cause? If they wanted us wiped out they have had plenty of chances to do so, and yet not only have they not turned us into the Fayth, but they have given us a list of every lupo house they now hold as a fortress. Ask her yourself if you do not believe me.”

Gerwald continued his work as he let his lecture roll off his tongue.

“You may think we cannot co-exist, but with certain humans we already are. So do not tell me what all humans on Islimore are like and stop trying to convince me how life is. Your use of absolutes in regards to that race… all, every, no human, they betray you.”

He picked up his shovel and started toward his tent.

“Do not get so lost looking into the between that you become blind to what is right in front of your own nose.”

With that Gerwald returned to his tent. No attempt to stop him would succeed.

[FIN]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom