Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eldar_Power_Sword_by_ElCasiegno.jpg
(c) ElCasiegno

Intent: To finally canonize the Eldorai sword that's been colloquially assumed on the site for months.
Development Thread: None. Specialized sarixi may include personal dev threads.
Manufacturer: Eldorai weaponsmiths
Model: Eldorai Sarix
Affiliation: Kaeshana Confederation
Modularity: None. Personalizations require unique submissions.
Production: Limited. Made to order for high-ranking Eldorai officers.
Material: Durasteel et al
Description:
The traditional weapon of Angelii warriors and Eldorai officers, a sarix (pl. "sarixi") is a long blade of both ceremonial and practical significance. Each is custom-made for a single warrior to her specifications, though the rarity and power of these weapons frequently sees them passed down as family treasures. Sarixi hold the same cultural connotations to Eldorai that lightsabers do to the rest of the galaxy; an Eldorai in possession of a sarix has either earned it through incredible skill and exemplary service, or is the most preeminent member of a family with a long and noble service to the Star Queen.

The blade is cast of a hard, industrial metal like durasteel, and is more often than not given a functional shape instead of an ornamental one. Eldorai glyphs are infrequently carved into the blade to represent important events or accomplishments, but the basic shape and purpose is not at all unlike a standard sword. The hilt is often very distinctive, with gold filigree and ornamentation, reliefs of Ashira or other important goddesses, and the like.

Set into the hilt is an emitter for a force containment field reminiscent of a lightsaber. Most often set to activate when the weapon is drawn, it gives a subtle luminescent sheen to the blade when active. This monumentally enhances the sarix's cutting power and allows it to be used to spar safely with lightsabers. It can also be used to clumsily deflect blaster bolts, but this is an uncommon practice among the Eldorai, who normally use energy shields for that purpose. It is also apparently extremely difficult, which might explain its rarity.

Though it functionally resembles one, however, a sarix is not a lightsaber. No matter what kind of containment field is generated over it, a fine durasteel blade will never have the cutting power of static plasma. A sarix can cut through conventional armor and weapons just like a lightsaber, but more formidable challenges like meter-thick durasteel or cortosis-laced weaponry remain the purview of lightsabers alone. The field remains the same, so sarixi aren't necessarily damaged by such attempts, simply stopped.

The face of the blade is also much larger, meaning the containment field must cover more area and thus consumes more power. Most Jedi never have to worry about their lightsabers running out of juice in the middle of a battle, but this occasionally does happen to an Eldorai; a sarix's power cell is long-lasting, but the stress of combat begins to weaken the field after half an hour. If not overstressed, most sarixi can handle five or six such stints before the power is exhausted and needs to be recharged or replaced. Most sarixi will have a battery meter in order to warn their wielders when they're running low, and it's not uncommon to carry a spare power cell. That doesn't help when your containment field goes down in the middle of a 'saber lock, though, and an unpowered sarix has about as much lightsaber resistance as durasteel (i.e: none).

Finally, as listed below, a sarix has weight. Lightsabers are difficult to wield primarily because they have no weight, but sarixi are challenging for the exact opposite reason. Certain attacks that one might habitually attempt to use with a lightsaber are simply impossible with a sarix. This weight is a good thing for the weapon's cutting power, as a simple containment field wouldn't be of much use without momentum behind it. However, one is still swinging about a bastard sword, with all of the physical tax that imposes.

Classification: Sword
Size: One- or two-handed ("hand-and-a-half")
Length: 120cm - 130cm
Weight: 1.1kg - 1.3kg
Other Features: Power field resists as a lightsaber. Enhanced cutting power.

@[member="Shriastae Tivale"]

As a lightsaber alternative, I like this idea. But I need a few things cleared up. You tried to specify all the ways in which this weapon is different/inferior to a lightsaber, but I'd like a few more details.

Please specify that this blade moves significantly slower than a lightsaber due to the weight and resistance of the metal blade.
Please elaborate on how long this weapon can remain active before running out of power.
When the field is down, please specify how many (if any at all) lightsaber strikes the weapon can withstand.
Can this weapon be used to deflect blaster shots like a lightsaber?

1) I figured that was assumed. I'll edit it in.
2) Long enough for the plot.
3) Exactly as many as durasteel. So...none.
4) Quoth below.

Shriastae Tivale said:
It can also be used to clumsily deflect blaster bolts, but this is an uncommon practice among the Eldorai, who normally use energy shields for that purpose.
@[member="War Hydra"]

"Plot convenience" is not an acceptable answer because it can be abused. I asked for a specific answer and I expect one.
Please work all answers into the description,
You are labeling this as being easier to use than a lightsaber due to the weight, yet are not giving enough trade-offs.
I simply don't feel that a standard bladed weapon like this would move quickly enough to effectively block blaster rounds. I know you said 'clumsily', but please elaborate further on the ineffectiveness of this weapon at performing such a tactic.

The cutting power is unchanged. The weight of the blade is necessary to build the momentum needed to reach that cutting power. The fact that it's a weak lightsaber with bodily weight (and lots of it) and made-to-order seems enough of a limiting factor for that.

Likewise, a Jedi's ability to block blaster rounds is mostly due to the Force, not the speed of the blade. Reflexes can only do so much when you're being riddled with gunfire, but the ability to feel the future is a much better defense. The weight of the blade is an admitted factor, however, and hence "clumsily."

Requested edits made.
@[member="War Hydra"]

So far it looks good. I like the edits you made to the description and the part about certain Lightsaber attacks being impossible with this weapon. But I still need you to specify on the extreme difficulty of deflecting blasters using this weapon before I can approve it.

Snarky response overlooked.

Approved, pending secondary. Though if you feel you are being unfairly judged, you can plead your case in the second chance forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom