Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand and Sunsets

Tatooine. Many considered it to be a backwater ball of sand not worth a second look, but to Verrin Ris'To, it was a beautiful planet waiting to be explored. Some Jedi came to Tatooine to study the Sand People or to look for Krayt Dragon pearls to use in their lightsabers, but Verrin... Verrin came to see a sunset. The official explanation he gave to the Masters was that the high light and dry heat, both of which was hard on the K'paur race, would help him better adapt which was true, so he hadn't really lied so much as left out his true desire.

Verrin, despite his eager mentality, was not prepared for just how hot the planet was. His brown robes did very little to push back the sunlight, and his exposed pale skin was going to be very tender in the morning as the sun was not kind to it. His hood and dark glasses only provided small protection from the harsh rays that were trying their best to bake him alive. He was also fairly sure his boots were half-full of equally hot and itchy sand.

Putting his hands together in his sleeves to help cut down on the sun, Verrin walked through the small settlement of Anchorhead trying to find his way around as he needed to rent a speeder, but as it was his first time in Anchorhead, he had no idea where to go. He had taken the liberty of stopping every so often to ask people directions, but most of the time he was ignored and the one time he wasn't he was told, very helpfully, that his mother, a very nice woman from his memory, was a bantha, his father was a member of the Sand People, and he was the spawn of their union. Despite the insult, it had made him smile as it was fairly creative.

"Does anyone know where to go to get a speeder?" Verrin said looking around the newest crowd of people. Someone in Anchorhead had to be decent enough to help? Right? Maybe?

[member="Kayla Christman"]

It was a rare treat getting the speeder and going somewhere on her own. No aide to play pretend bodyguard, not little sister drumming in her ear with all her request. Kayla had other siblings, of course, but neither of the twins were actually that much trouble as the youngest so their company would actually be perfectly fine. But it was still nice to go off on her own, even if it meant driving for eighty miles north just to get some good parts for the housekeeping droid.

Not that the blonde knew anything about droids but she'd been given specific instructions what to look in Archorhead droid shop once she got there.

When she finally reached the town, she had parked a bit away from the shop on a sort of unmarked parking lot already filled with another vehicle. She'd gotten out, checked her list and credits which her grandfather had told her would be enough for what they needed when she heard a voice asking for a a place to rent a speeder. Her head turned to the side, noting the brown robes. He seemed to be mostly ignored so Kayla spoke up: "You would have had better luck in Mos Eisley with that." If she had to guess, there could have been a place or two that could help him but she didn't know for sure. Her city on the other hand, she knew they could definitely be of service to the stranger.

@Verrin Ris'To

Verrin snapped his head to the around to the voice of, if he was a luckier man, his savior. He knew from the voice it was a woman, but he was still surprised. She was dressed in white, but it showed a lot of skin, and he could not help but feel a pang of jealousy as he could barely deal with the heat, and it was as if it did not bother her in the least. She looked to be roughly the same age as him, she was nearly two feet shorter, but it was hard to find another race that was as tall as his, so he was used to people being shorter then he.

Unclasping his hands, he reached up and tapped his chin with his right hand, "It would be just my luck to pick the one settlement on Tatooine where I can't find a speeder," He said half to himself and half to his potential ally. That said, would he enjoy it as much if it was nice and easy? Probably not. The harder things were in life; the more rewarding they tended to be. Even if he felt like he was melting and yet still itchy at the same time something he had previously thought was impossible. Perhaps he could find a force technique that lowered his body temperature instead of raising it like Tapas did?

Verrin blinked a few times behind his glasses as he realized he was being rude, "I am sorry, I am Verrin Ris'To," he said extending his hand to her, "You don't happen to know where I could get a speeder... I can pay," Well, he could pay a little. He didn't usually carry much credits on him, and he tended to enjoy an occasional drink here and there that cut back on his small temple allowance.

The robes, the hands position within the sleeves. If Kayla had to guess, she would put her credits on Jedi, mostly because her mother's affiliation with them and her own time spent in the Temple. She could have been wrong though but the mental bet with herself had been made and there were no take backs.

He seemed to have called it luck for picking a settlement without a place to rent. "Oh, no, you misunderstood me. I said you'd have better look in in Mis Eisley. If you want to go shop from shop, you might find one or two here too. But I can't make a bet on that since I don't know Archorhead well enough." Maybe there was one, maybe there wasn't. But she knew for sure he'd have better like in Mos Eisley and even better luck in Bestine, but the capital was definitely too far from here, especially since he didn't have a speeder.

Then suddenly he apologized, confusing her slightly before he introduced himself, hand extended for a shake. Kayle looked at him for a moment. The apology was somewhat missplaced, most people didn't apologize for not introducing themselves. Verrin Ris'To was making it more and more obvious how he wasn't from Tatooine.

Switching the datapad into her left hand, she offered her hand back and introduced herself as he had done: "Kayla Christman."

Did she happen to know where he could get a speeder? He'd pay? The blonde blinked. "You can keep your credits, I don't rent them. I can give you a lift to Mos Eisley to up your chances there though if you want." There was what she could do for the stranger. Since he was making it more and more obvious by the minute how he wasn't around here, it was probably a good idea to help him. "I just need to get some droid parts before going back." Her index finger rose, pointing to a shop back from where they were, some seven or eight doors back. This was why she was here and she couldn't leave without handling with this.

@Verrin Ris'To

He wasn't sure what was better that the the odds were he was going to have to wander around Anchorhead for hours looking for a speeder shop or the only one who had offered to help wasn't from around Anchorhead. It wasn't her fault, of course, just something that Verrin found mildly amusing and frustrating. Not to mention his 'mission' was rather childish which only made it embarrassing along with frustrating, but that was probably where the humor came from.

[member="Kayla Christman"]. Verrin repeated it in his mind rolling the name around to commit it to memory as well as get a feel for it. It suited her. He wasn't sure why, many people had names that didn't suit them, but hers did. She seemed like a Kayla, not that he had ever actually met a Kayla before.

Verrin blinked behind his sunglasses once again, she would help him? Give him a lift? For free? He hadn't really expected her to do that. While he still believed in the good nature of the common man, woman, and child, he was rather tall and with the robe and glasses; he didn't think someone would be willing to take the risk. He knew this planet had problems with gangs and criminals, so it only made it more surprising. Did he stand out that much? Or was she just a naturally kind person. He almost wanted to ask why she was willing to trust him, but he was afraid that if he did so she may rescind her offer.

"That would be incredibly helpful," Verrin said trying to keep his tone neutral and not let her know just how much it would help. Droid parts? He had never built... or seen the inside of a droid, and so the droid shop sounded interesting. Since she pointed it out, it didn't seem like she intended to leave him there, "Do you mind if I tag along Kayla?"

Was there some surprise to her offer? Kayla wasn't too sure and when Verrin spoke, she going hear it there. He called her offer incredibly helpful and the blonde smiled to that.

His question was greeted with a nod. "Sure, come on," she answered and walked around him, slowly moving forward so he could catch up with her quickly enough. "You really should have thought better about your attire, Verrin. That is so not for Tatooine." Kayla made some small talk. The suns of Tatooine didn't bother her anymore, this was home, a place where she had spet her entire life. Even her light skin didn't burn as much as most outsiders expected. And unlike thos strangers, she knew how come into that suns.

@Verrin Ris'To

Verrin moved to catch up and match her, slowing his stride so as to not out-pace her with his much longer legs. Company was useful for ignoring what was uncomfortable as the sand and heat were slightly more bearable now that he had something, or someone in this case, to direct his attention towards. Lifting up his arms, he looked at the robes hanging off his arms. The brown did not push out the suns rays very well, and if anything, sucked in the heat, and it had a lot of room for sand to gather.

"Yea, you are right about that," he agreed, "But I don't own, well, any other outfits. My clothes come in brown or tan," he finished with a shrug. One didn't get much choice in fashion when they joined the Order. It was either the robes or one of the Order's approved suits of armor, but Verrin had no desire to wear the armor. Wearing armor meant he was expecting, or even looking, for trouble. That and by putting it on, he didn't quite feel like him. He preferred the freedom of movement, he would just have to do his best to not get shot.

It would be a dumb question, as it was obvious she was from the planet, or at least, very used to it, but he felt compelled to try and make pleasant conversation, and he may be able to get some information on a good rock outcropping overlooking the dune sea, "So, how long have you lived on Tatooine?"

He didn't own anything anything other than brown or tan? Kayla looked at him, showing her confusion, but continued walking forward. "How do you not own anything other than brown or tan?" She asked. It was too weird. Everyone owed some other color. "Don't they give you a set of white robes at least?" The blonde asked, acting on the bet she made moments ago.

"It's just weird," she explained. "But I was never one for those robes myself. I'd just slip into something comfortable as soon as nobody was watching." Nobody being authorities in the Order. But Kayla was a unique little flower like that. Even when she had spent some time in the Temple, she had never agreed to wearing the brown robes. Which frankly need a long overdo update as it was.

Verrin asked her about Tatooine as her head turned forward and she noted they were there. "All my life. Minus short trips here and there." Whether on her own or with her parents or even grandparents. Kayla found that she mostly returned back home in the end. Before he could comment, she entered the ship. Blue eyes noted the owner in the back of the shop while the clerk stood nearby, ready to walk to her. The owner shouted something in his native tongue which made the clerk stop and look back. Already, the alien was on his feet. 'Miss Christman! Welcome back!' He greeted her, offered his skinny brown had. Kayla shook it briefly and smiled. "How are you, Mr. Jix?" The alien laughed. 'Fine. Fine. What can I do for you today?' After that, the blonde cut the small talk and handed him the datapad with the list her grandfather's list. The alien fell silent as he studied it. 'I see, I see. Your speeder near?' She nodded. 'We'll prepare it and get it out for you.' After that, he turned and left her, without waiting for an answer.

Once that had been done, she turned back to Verrin. "What brings you to Tatooine?" She asked him a question, continuing their conversation as if it hadn't ended.

@Verrin Ris'To

"Clothes are clothes," Verrin said with a small shrug. He never understood peoples facination with owning as many different styles of clothing as possible. His brown robes kept him warm and covered his body that was good enough for him, "And white robes get dirty too easily," he said offering a small smile. White robes had a... way of attracting dirt to them while one couldn't tell how much dirt was on a brown robe because it, well, looked the same.

He blinked a few times behind his dark glasses as he thought about what she just said. Verrin wouldn't be surprised if she figured out he was a Jedi; he never made an effort to hide it, but had she used to be one as well? If so, why did she leave? That one sentence she offered filled his mind with questions that his curiosity was demanding he ask, but he wouldn't for now. It wouldn't be polite to start demanding answers from her past right after she agreed to help him.

All her life on this planet? Verrin could see how she would become adjusted to it, but he was fairly sure that he would have died from heat stroke a long time ago. His kind were just not suited for hot or cold environments despite having two hearts. Verrin paused outside the store to let his eyes roam over the tan building that looked... just like every other building on the street. With his brief observation done, he stepped inside behind her, but his attention was stolen by all the parts lining the shelves, half-assembled droids, and small section of droids that he had never seen before. Were they old models?

Verrin walked around the small store looking around, leaning down constantly to get a better look, picking objects up and turning them around in his hand, and even 'inspecting' a few of the droids by poking them with his finger once in awhile as his need to touch something new was a powerful force. He was never very good at controlling his curiosity. Just as he lifted a large droids arm to look behind it, he was asked a question... and he realized that he had been in his own world for a short while.

Slowly, he lowered the arm back down and coughed to buy himself time to regain his composure. The question was one he knew was coming, but he wasn't sure what to really tell her. That he was here for training? That he was here to overcome his races natural weakness? Or... the truth? Verrin had never been good at lying, so he would just have to tell the truth as he often did, "I wanted to see the sunset."

Knowing how, well, foolish that sounded; Verrin dived into his explanation, "You see, both suns will be setting at the same time, and so i thought it would be beautiful to watch it from the edge of a rock outcrop as it set over the Dune Sea then, maybe, if I can find a nice place to stay for the night. I would watch the sunrise as, I heard when the suns rise after falling together, the ground gets covered from mist that rises from the sandstone."

Clothes are clothes? "No, no." Kayla quickly responded to that silly little notion. "Clothes are not clothes. Maybe usually not to you but when you land on Tatooine, they become more then that. They become the thin line between heatstroke, sunburns and everything else." This was important. Kayla knew men had a completely different view on things like that but she'd lived here her whole life and she knew that his statement wasn't true. And while robes got dirty too easy? The blonde looked down on her white dress. Nope, not true if one took care of their clothes well enough. "Everything gets dirty. That is why we wash them."

Kayla had noted him taking an interest in the items in the shop. As did the clerk who didn't remove his eyes off him the entire time. But the young man didn't do anything most likely because Verrin was with her and the owner took special interest in her. The man answered her question of the sunset. Well, a lot of people came here to see the sunset. He went on to explain facts she knew, such as the sun setting at the same time and how he wanted to see it. That was something she was used to so she didn't take much notice in it.

But the way Verrin described it reminded her of a time when she'd stay up, sit on the wall of her balcony and watch the suns go do. It was a wonderful sight. "You can get a great view from our balcony," the blonde said without thinking. And while her mother would do the same most likely for another Jedi, which he hadn't denied yet, grandpa wouldn't too happy with a Force User there. "You're welcome to crash in our guest room." She finally offered, having now actually thought about it. Grandpa didn't like a lot of things, including following the path of Force Users. That didn't stop Kayla.

@Verrin Ris'To

Well that did make sense. Perhaps next time he visited a world he would pay more attention to their clothing. Might save him some trouble like feeling like he was baking inside his own robes. Maybe he should listen to her on a few things concerning clothing as she seemed far more knowledgeable in the field then he, but that wasn't a very high bar to overcome. "I can never keep my clothes clean when I wear white. I always spill something on them or just happened to have to go someplace that is far from clean, and I don't look very good in white," Verrin said leaving the droids alone for now as his curiosity was, somewhat, sated and he didn't want to stand out more then he already was. He really didn't look good in white. His skin was pale and his hair dark, white robes tended to make him look like death.

Verrin stared at her for a few moments as his mind ran through her offer. She was offering him a place to stay? His first instinct was to reject it becuase he didn't want to intrude, but then, would she have made the offer if he would be intruding? Originally, he had planned on buying a cheap fab-unit and use his skill in tapas to last the night, but this would be far nicer then hoping he could manage the fortitude and concentration to keep himself warm throughout the evening. Still, Kayla had shown him a remarkable level of kindness that he hadn't seen in a long time. It was almost enough to validate his belief in the good of the common person in the universe.

"Thank you, I would love to take you up on the offer," Verrin paused he still felt like he should do something to repay her, "Are you sure you don't want credits or something in return? I don't want to intrude or take advantage of your kindness."

Kayla chuckled when Verrin revealed he couldn't keep his clothes clean. Something always happened. "I've heard of that. Usually it's because people obssess too much about wearing white," the blonde share a little bit of information her mother once told her her. She had that problem when she was much younger, fidgeting in her little white dresses and always worrying how she would ruin them. And she always did.

After her offer had been made, he accepted it then brought up the credits again. The blonde shook her head. "Again, keep your credits." Really, this credit business was no fun. Kayla didn't enjoy it one bit. "You won't be intruding or taking advantage of my kindness. Don't worry about it. My Mom would be glad that I helped a fellow Jedi." She decided not to mention her grandfather just yet. There was time for that. He'd have his remarks personally anyway.

'All done, angel girl,' the alien suddenly came from the back. Kayla glanced back at him then at Verrin with a simple statement to him: "One minute" and then moved over to the shop owner, giving him the credits she had been carrying with her. The alien glanced at them and nodded, then called for his clerk, ordering him to take the items to her vehicle. Kayla smiled and returned to Verrin, waving him along before she excited the ship while the clerk went ahead with the first package of items.

"Fellow Jedi?" Verrin asked raising an eyebrow. He never tried to hide that he was a Jedi and all anyone needed to do was ask to find out for sure, but did she mean her mother was, or is, a Jedi? Or was she referring to herself? There were a lot of Jedi in the Order that Verrin had never met, and he was sure he would have remembered seeing Kayla walking around. Then again, she lived with her family, but to Verrin's knowledge such a thing wasn't allowed and there was no Enclave on Tatooine. So was her mother the Jedi? Did she leave the Order? That one little sentence sent Verrin's mind rolling and tumbling through different questions that he did not have the answers for.

It was hard to wait just one minute when she was paying for her items because it was killing him. Was she a Jedi? Did she used to be a Jedi? Why was she here? How far along in her training did she get? Or was it her mother that was the Force Sensitive? That one minute seemed to last an eternity as far as his curiosity was concerned, and when she waved to him; he had to fight to make sure he didn't run or, worse, trip. A small part of his mind laughed at how he followed [member="Kayla Christman"] like a puppy, but in his defense, she was offering him a ride and a place to stay. He would probably even sit and roll over if she asked nice enough.

"So are you the Jedi? Or your mother?" Verrin asked the second he was out of the storm and back under the harsh rays of the sun.

She registered the question but for the moment she had been busy with the owner. Once that was done, the blonde had intended on answering Verrin but instead, she heard the question again, this time in form of two. Was she a Jedi or was her mother? "We're both Jedi," she answered, her blue eyes noticing the wondering look of the clerk, making her point towards her speeder as she continued walking. The man gave her a nod and ran off to it, dropping the first load before he moved to get the other.

"Mom's still kind of with the Order. I'm not... if that's what you're asking." Was that what he was wondering? Kayla looked back the @Verrin Ris'To, wondering if that was it or not? Was he part of the Order? Were the Jedi like her that didn't live in the Temple anymore? That had chosen to leave by their own choice? Kayla wondered that for a moment, but she could never remember hearing about it. Sure, some didn't live there, some traveled a lot but nope, never heard of people like her before.

A Jedi that left hte order, he understood that, at least, as some went to provide different ideology like the Silver Jedi, some wished to pursue other paths, some fell to the Dark Side, so which was she? She certainty, didn't feel like any of the dark siders he had ever felt. Then again, could she be a dark sider if her mother was still, somewhat, a Jedi? Certainly was something to ponder. A mother was a mother no matter what, right?, if so then dark side or not, she would still be her daughter. It wasn't that he believed her to be of the dark side, not that it would have stopped him from taking up on her offer or talking to her, but it was just something that he found interesting and had never considered before.

"Why did you leave?" Verrin asked as it would be easier to just be direct then ponder on all the reasons why should could have left. He was fairly sure she hadn't been trained on Coruscant unless she left the order at a young age because he was still sure he would have remembered her. Maybe not her name, but he was very good with faces.

Why did she leave? Kayla blinked, her head turned to Verrin as she said: "I didn't like the robes" as if it was the most serious answer in the world. A couple of seconds after that, she giggled. "Sorry, can't help it." It was a joke. Alright, she really didn't like the robes and she had worn them once or twice, which of course got her into trouble while she was in the Temple.

But he had asked why she had leaved. And he seemed pretty serious about wanting an answer. Finally, she shrugged. "I don't know. I like most of what the Jedi code is about. I just don't prefer their lifestyles. What the Order asks of you. My mother has four children. The three of us are fine, well into our adulthood but the youngest... I worry about my little sister and she could really use her mother in these years, you know?" What she had planned to be a brief answer had come out far beyond what she had been willing to share.

Kayla almost didn't notice they had arrived to the speeder, the clerk having already deliver the second bag of items. Kayla leaned against the vehicle and sighed. There was something else, far greater though. And while Kayla rarely ever talked about this to anyone but her mother or grandmother, this was something she hadn't told either of them now. And while she tried to control herself to not tell someone she hardly knew, the truth ended up coming out... "Do you ever see the future? Or dream of it?

@Verrin Ris'To

"I don't know, I think I make it look nice," Verrin said flashing a smile of his own. Her laughter and attitude was infectious. She had a certain... light about her that was hard to ignore. He couldn't really picture her walking around in the dull brown robes that were common among the Order. It seemed too at odds with her spirit, so maybe it was best that she wore her white clothing even if the straps were small and distracting.

Four children? Verrin knew some of the Jedi did have children but four? He wasn't sure if he should be surprised or impressed, maybe both? That was a fairly large family, and while he never had children of his own, he could understand wanting to leave the order to be with their children. His own mother gave him to the order when he was only seven, so his memories of her were fuzzy at best. Why did her little sister need her mother so much? Were her powers unstable? Or was she unstable? What about their father? Wasn't he able to look after them?

"I see," he really didn't know all the details, but he wouldn't pry that much when he just met her, plus, he would be able to meet her family soon enough.

Verrin walked around the speeder to the passenger side, but stopped when she asked him a question. It felt heavier then it should have, more then just a question of passing fancy. Could he see the future? Like a dream?

"No, I can't. At times, I can feel the immediate future and react to it, but I don't think I have ever been able to dream the future without me knowing I did," he paused, "I am not a Jedi Seer... Can you see the future?"

Her laughter slowly died out when he had made his remark about the clothes, making the blonde grin at him. Good, she could joke with him. That was extremely important.

Leaned against the speeder, her blue eyes focused on a dot in the distance while Serrin answered her. He could see the immediate future and react to it but didn't see the actual future or dream of it without knowing. He wasn't a Jedi Seer. She remained silent for a bit more after he had asked her. "I dream of the future," the blonde confessed. "But until now, it's always been connected to loved ones." Grandma said it was probably because she was most connected to family. Mom said maybe that was how it was always going to be but even Kayla could hear how uncertain she sounded when she said it.

"But when my mother goes to the Jedi, I dream bright lights. I hear her calling out to me. But I can't see her anymore." Kayla didn't like that in the least bit. When she first dreamed her Dad was captured her, she saw it perfectly clear. Mom had brushed it off as nothing more than a bad dream that time but Kayla had learned better. "It's not a good sign." The blonde was sure. But what was it a bad sign of, she couldn't tell yet. Was her mother going to be in trouble? Was the future of the Jedi so clouded that it clouded her mother along with it? Maybe she wasn't strong enough to see but how the lid hid her, made her uneasy.

@Verrin Ris'To

Verrin wasn't sure what to make of it all. What her grandmother said did sound real enough. Verrin could better feel signatures and people he had felt before, and his kind developed a bond when they fell in love, so he understood being able to feel someone close to them through the force easier then others, but prophetic vision was beyond his knowledge. There were very few Jedi Seers within the Order because it was a very rare power. It wasn't a power someone could be born with. Through meditation and training, a jedi could catch glimpse of the future, but full visions were something special.

Still, he had to admit it did not sound good. Bright lights that obscured her mother from her sight as she called out to her, but Kayla was unable to reach her... But why now? Sure a lot of the Jedi had left the order, many even some of the council, but he wasn't aware of any more danger then normal. War with the Mandalorians seemed likely and the likelihood was growing, but this didn't feel like that. Was her mother in danger? Or was Kayla, herself, in danger? Going outside her mother's reach and beyond the lights touch?

"I am sorry, but I... don't think I am the best at helping you decipher what you are seeing," Verrin said truly regretful that he could not help her. Any observations he could make would be shallow and baseless, and may harm more then help, "But, the Seers at the Temple of Coruscant may be able to help with your visions. If you ever find yourself on there; you can ask for me, and I should be able to get you in to see one."

It was the best he could really do, but he still felt like he should do something especially considering how much she helped him, and she had revealed some of her vulnerability to him. Many people did, it must have been a Jedi thing, but it was still something that was probably very precious about her, "I can help you develop your force abilities, maybe help you train your Sense so that it is easier to feel others in the force. It may help you expand your visions... if that is what you wanted."

The apologize had made her look back at him. Even after he explained, Kayla kept looking at him for a moment or two before finally shaking her head. "There's no reason to apologize. You didn't case this. We all come into this galaxy with our destinies." Even at the age of eighteen, Kayla knew this was true. Her dreams, thought confusing they could be, were hers. As was that her bond to another had been born before she even was. Destiny had a way at doing things like that.

But his suggestion to see the Seers in the Temple made her shake her head more intently than before. "No. I don't always understand my dreams but I trust them and the feelings they give me. I can't go back there anymore." She didn't know. She couldn't explain how bright light and her mother's voice had told her as much but Kayla just knew she no longer belonged to the Order and could never go back there again.

Verrin made an offer to help her train her powers. Kayla smiled. "My Sense is good. When you seem to have a certain Destiny laid out for you, certain gifts come attached to it. I just choose to discover the person next to me on my own instead of cheating through the Force." The blonde explained and let her smile expend a little bit. She could have used the Sense to be completely sure she was facing a Jedi but Kayla chose a different path. When the dreams were sometimes so clear and obvious and she had no way of controlling them, it was nice to take the normal method of making friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom