Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety In Numbers

Jerolme allowed himself to smile slightly at [member="Lady Kay"]'s request. She had no doubt expended substantial energy on generating the tremors; it was fair to offer her the rest she wanted. Still, as she recuperated, the Governor couldn't help but replay the memories of Kay using the Force — a distinctly surprising phenomenon — in his head. The fact that she had kept it from manifesting, except in such a moment of crisis as this one, made it abundantly clear that she had intended to keep it a secret.

From his time in politics, Jerolme had learnt a very simple fact: Secrets came with weaknesses, always. But while both Kay and Jerolme were politicians, they had never been engaged in the sort of battle that he had been accustomed to with his rivals back on Coruscant. Not to mention Jerolme would much rather someone like Kay, especially with the gifts he had recently learnt were in her possession, be an ally of his head rather than an enemy. The Force was an enviable advantage in the realm of politics.

As the security guard checked the perimeter to ensure they were safe and plot the next leg of their trip, Jerolme sat next to Kay and contemplated what he should say.

"Once again, madam, I'm terribly sorry to have put you through all this." He sighed and offered another one of his slight, weary smiles as he said, "Your Force sensitivity... I gather you have no intention for me to release that information in a press statement?"

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Kay offered up a small smile as [member="Jerolme Moore"] apologized for what had transpired. It wasn't his fault of course. She blamed herself, as always, being the magnet for trouble that she was. It surprised her that she wasn't barred from leaving the Palace. Maybe that will come some time soon.

She sat down now, after he did, still not confident in getting onto her feet properly. At least they didn't have to run right now. Kay smirked at his statement. He didn't seem angry and that surprised her to a degree. "I'm sorry to have kept it from you. But surely you can understand why. Palpatine isn't far from people's minds when they hear of Force senitives in politics. But I've never used my abilities to manipulate another's mind. I don't know how to do that, nor do I want to. I just don't want to be treated any differently than anyone else." Surely he understood that.

"How's your leg? I can try to help with that once I get my energy back. Unless you have some bacta gel packs at the ship." Surely there was some laying around. Or maybe they'd be able to purchase some at the nearest town.

Her thoughts went to the fallen guards. It'll be difficult to explain that to their families, if they had them. It was one of the hardest parts of her job.

[member="Lady Kay"] proved surprisingly relaxed about the whole affair. Jerolme understood her reasoning, of course; she feared persecution from the galaxy's ignorant masses. Yet he couldn't help but feel that she could be more if she used her talents willingly.

"If you wish, your majesty, your secret will remain safe with me," he said, "And no doubt the foolish and the ignorant would persecute you for it if you revealed it openly. But surely you could go on to achieve greater things by embracing your talents in private rather than repudiating them altogether? Forgive my ignorance on the topic; after all, I lack this gift, but it seems to me as though you must have used your powers before. Have you never used the Force to discern people's thoughts at the very least? Or predict actions? Surely neither can be recognised by your enemies, but they must provide you with a considerable advantage."

Jerolme did find himself falling victim to curiosity here. He wanted to know more about the ways of the Force and how it could be used. Still, he didn't intend to be overbearing on the issue. When Kay asked him about his leg, Jerolme chuckled. The adrenaline rush had truly made him forget about his own condition.

"Oh, that. It's just a scratch, though I'd appreciate whatever you can do to help. Please don't strain yourself though, milady. It's really not necessary." The security guard returned to give the all clear. "Ah," Jerolme said as his voice took on a lighter, warmer tone. "I think it's best that we get going before more of those bastards arrive. Can you walk without issue?"

Kay-Larr

Kay blinked. Was she hearing [member="Jerolme Moore"] correctly? Was he encouraging her to use her abilities while with political opponents? She had expected quite the opposite, most esoecially after she was fired from the Republic Senate and barred from serving the government in any way. The Supreme Chancellor even insulted her as he fired her, telling her to set up a tea hut somewhere. But Jerolme was being....different.

Her husband [member="Veiere Arenais"] understood why she kept her abilities hidden. Yet that didn't mean that he sided with her on that. Of course he wanted her to protect herself, to stop bounty hunters and the like from taking her. But Kay was scared to do so. Being a magnet for trouble, she figured that using the Force was like lighting a beacon and it would bring powerful Force Users to her. And it has. Most of the time it wasn't for good reasons either. "I don't go into other people's minds unless they wish it. My husband and I have shared our thoughts that way, and I've done so with a couple of other Force Sensitives as well. Our thoughts are private and I'd hate to lose the trust of others by betraying that trust. Exposing my gifts would do that. The Republic nearly had me executed for it. I don't want to go through such a thing again. And what else could I gain? I lead not just one world but a couple of dozen. Some have called it a little Empire. We are safe in our position. What more would I need?"

She glanced over to the guard and then nodded, slowly getting to her feet. "I'll be alright. When we get back to the ship, I'll have a look at your leg. That should give me enough time to recover more." Kay held out her hand to help him up, more for the balance.

After having his suggestion essentially rebuffed by [member="Lady Kay"] — who seemed surprised at, what, the audacity of his insinuations? — Jerolme decided it was better not to press the topic.

"A shame that we still face such persecution in this day and age," was his simple remark. "But I understand your choice and why you made it. Perhaps your talents would better serve you in secret, anyway."

Taking the Queen's offer for support, Jerolme stood up, and together they began to set off on their new path against the backdrop of the setting sun. The guard in front of them led the way but made regular checks behind him to ensure they were safe and covered on all sides. Nothing stood out as a threat for now, a relief after the ordeal the trio had just endured. Jerolme ran his mind through the dead personnel. The last of Kay's security detail had perished in the caves, and Jerolme's last guard was in fact the sole survivor apart from the two politicians themselves.

"Merrick," the Governor warmly called to the guard in front. "This has all been a rather exhausting day. When we get back to Coruscant you can take a fortnight's leave."

"Happy to serve, sir." The response came quickly, as if rehearsed. The man didn't betray a hint of the suffering he'd endured today. He merely kept leading the group on through the rather straight path. His eyes were peeled, for the grass on both sides were tall and could easily conceal a horranth or some such thing.

Turning to Kay to strike free conversation, Jerolme commented with a smile, "Merrick's always been the strong, silent type. Just the type you need on an occasion like this!"

Any response from Commenor's Queen would have had to come quickly, for mere moments later, an unmistakably animal growl sounded from the tall grass. In its suddenness and lack of accommodation by a visual counterpart, the noise was certainly alarming, if not outright chilling. And for all three of them, it must've been the last thing they wanted to hear. If that wasn't enough, several other similar calls resounded, all equally bereft of an actual source in sight. Jerolme wanted to tell himself that they were merely echoes, but the area was open and wide. Whatever these new threats were, delusions weren't going to save him from them...

Kay-Larr

Kay gave [member="Jerolme Moore"] a little smile as he seemed to have approved of her choice. Good ol' Jerolme. Perhaps he'd of done things differently if he was in her shoes, but he hadn't faced the same kinds of things that she had. They've each had their own battles that have shaped who they are. No doubt that she'd of not made the same choices that he had done either.

But at least Kay knew that she could trust him.

As they walked, she found herself in a bit of her own world contemplating on their bad luck. People were dead, she had killed some of them. And for what? Thievery maybe? They were left with little choice in the matter, that much was certain. Talking the marauders down just wasn't going to happen. That much they knew.

Those thoughts continued to play in the back of her mind while Jerolme and Merrick carried their short conversation. "Strong silent type ind--" Her words were cut off in mid sentence when the growls were heard. Kay stopped in her tracks as she came to realize that there were multiple sources, a chill running down her spine. She whispered to both men, "Fire one shot of your rifle up in the air. Let's see if it scares them."

Jerolme heeded [member="Lady Kay"]'s advice. His rifle went up in the air, and violently echoing crack sounded from its muzzle as the Governor fired a slugthrower round. Unfortunately, it didn't have the effect that the politicians had expected and so desperately needed. Instead, it appeared to rally the cries of the beasts in the wild grass.

"Blast," Jerolme said through gritted teeth as he began observing the area to the right, while Merrick looked the other way. Both searched for movement in the grass before unloading a slugthrower pellet at exactly that location. A dull thud informed Jerolme that he had been successful in dropping one of the beasts, but it didn't drive off the remaining attackers. Responding with ferocious calls, they began to surge out of the brush, revealing themselves to be sickly white-coloured hounds known as horranths armed with a horrific sets of fangs and a collection of horns that rose from their backs like mountain ranges. No fewer than four of them emerged from the grass on Jerolme's side of the road, their jaws gnashing in vicious anticipation. Simultaneously, three more of them leapt from Merrick's side with lethal intent.

Kay-Larr

This was not what she had expected. Once again the hunters were becoming the hunted. And now they were outmatched not only in numbers, but by weapons too by the way of many sets of teeth. At least one of them was put down, but that still left plenty more. It made her wish that she had [member="Minna Balin"] 's skill with animals.

Fight or flight. That was an animal's basic instinct. Right now [member="Jerolme Moore"] , Merrick and herself were either invading on the horranths' territory, or they were being hunted as food. The rifle had little effect against them, which was surprising to say the least. Kay had thought about lifting one with the Force and throwing it against the others. But that wouldn't do much good. A barrier wouldn't help either as the predators could just wait them out. So what was there to do?

Kay had two options left that she could think of. Hopefully the first one was enough to frighten them.

She crouched down, placing her hands on the ground like before and focused on the Force that flowed beneath them. Once again the stones within the grass began to rattle as the tremors started. Instead of closing her eyes, she kept them trained on the nearest horranth, waiting to see how they'd react before considering her next option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom