Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Saber-class Orbital Defense Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
SABER-CLASS ORBITAL DEFENSE STATION
limagkv.jpg

Image Source: Herehttp://pics-about-space.com/spiral-designs-futuristic-space-station?p=1
Intent: To provide Mandalorians with a planetary defense station similar to the MAC

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:

Who Can Use This: Select Buyers
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industries

Model: Mk1
Affiliation: ArmaTech Industries
Modularity: Yes

• Non Combat Systems can be exchanged
Production: Limited
Material: Mandalorian Steel, Matrix Armor, Electronics, Starship Components

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Orbital Station
Length: 400 Meters
Width: 400 Meters
Height: 1,000 Meters
Armament Rating: 18
Defense Rating: 12
Armament:

Hangar:
  • Freighters, Shuttles, or Drop Ships (2) -or-
  • Squadrons (1/2)
Minimum Crew: 255
Optimum Crew: 895
Passenger Capacity: 250
Cargo Capacity: 5,000 Metric Tons
Consumables: 1 Year
Maneuverability Rating: 14
Speed Rating: 20 (Immobile)
Hyperdrive Class: None
Backup Hyperdrive Class: None

NON-COMBAT SYSTEMS
Propulsion

Sensor and Targeting
Communications
Shielding
Miscellaneous
DESCRIPTION
Overview
The Saber-class is the space equivalent to a Mandalorian sitting on a porch with a shotgun. In perfect practice a Warden-class Frigate or a series of Vigilance Mines detects an incoming ship, providing the Saber with its estimated point of reversion, allowing the Saber to reorient itself in that direction. The enemy ship reverts to realspace, and from extended range, the Saber unleashes a powerful, normally non-lethal "Feth Off" volley at the enemy ship. Particularly large ships are most vulnerable, unable to turn or move quickly, while smaller ships maybe able to escape the "Warning shot". In true Mandalorian fashion, the ten binary fusion cannons are able to maul the shields of large ships without destroying it, getting the point across that they don't actually want to be in that particular system. Or the ship can use "Lethal" Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Cannons to tear the enemy's heart out with its destructive fire power.

Armor and Shielding
The Saber utilizes relatively light armor and hull plating. The exterior of the hull is Mandalorian Steel plates laid over Matrix Armor. Its not able to be thick or overly heavy plating due to the massive size restraints from the weapon and power systems the Saber had to include to fulfill its role.

The Station utilizes standard Deflector Shielding, no more or less powerful than anything that would be found on a heavy cruiser. It features a suite of Cap Drains and a Hydrostatic shield allowing it to survive in nebulae and other dense space phenomena as well as minor resistance to EMP and Ion weaponry. This allows it to be deployed in odd places such as gas giants, the Transitory Mists, and the Hard Roil.

Other Systems
The Saber isn't designed to be a sensor station, but it does feature a capital ship grade Full Spectrum Sensor Suite. The long range targeting computers required to be effective at the range its weapons are capable of firing at require precision programming, upgraded targeting computers, and enhanced processors. The Advanced targeting computers are synchronized with the station's maneuvering jets and thrusters, allowing the fixed mount weapon system to fire accurately. Additionally, the advanced Precision Holo-targeting Computers, based off the computers of the Venator-class and Anakin Solo are able to make the tiny adjustments needed for extended range combat. It features a standard communication suite, and a Sub-space communication Monitor.

Weapon Systems
The primary weapon systems for the Saber is a set of ten fixed-mount fire-linked Heavy Long Range Binary Fusion Ion Cannons built into the long spire of the station. These weapons are incredibly powerful and the power draw is enormous. There are two firing modes, both holding significant combat roles.

The first, Feth Off Mode, fires all ten cannons' ion plasma rounds in ten seconds. This causes the shields to power down, the stations lights to flicker, and the cannons to simultaneously ruin someone's day. The sheer destructive force of ten Heavy Long Range Binary Fusion Ion Cannons firing at once is a difficult storm to weather, however, those that do will realize the stations is almost completely inert for the next fifty seconds. Shields won't reactivate until then, its weapons are recycling, and its reactor is straining to recover.

The second, much safer, more reliable mode is Continuous Fire Mode. This keeps all ten cannons cycling through, each firing in sequence so that the rate of fire is continuous and constant, putting all ten cannons' fire power across sixty seconds, keeping the rate of fire up and consistent. In this mode, due to the lessened power draw (only two cannons being active at any given time) the shields are able to be maintained, and lights, and non-essential systems are able to remain active during firing.

An alternate version using Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity cannons is available and works in the same way, with the same power requirements and strain on the station, but instead of firing packets of heavily ionized plasma, it fires tungsten carbide slugs. These are much more destructive against starship hulls, and when deployed, Sabers are often used in pairs, with a Binary Fusion Ion Cannon model and a Hypervelocity gun model, allowing those ships that do not heed the warning to suffer the consequences.

Because of the size of the weapon system, it is extremely dangerous to things the ship is able to rotate and reorient quickly enough to track. Normally these are heavier cruisers and Light Star Destroyers, but sometimes its able to make lucky shots on smaller targets.

Supporting this weapon are ten batteries of Point Defense Lasers and Witch Fire CIWS, as well as ten EM field generator turrets, spread evenly across the support ring around the spire.

Strengths:
  • Ion Cannon: Its a series of ten really big, really scary, fixed mount Ion Cannons.
  • Maneuverable: While the station is stationary, having nothing other than maneuvering jets, the jets it does have are very effective, allowing the station to rotate and re-orient on its axis very well.
Weaknesses:
  • One Gun: The Saber only has a single capital weapon system.
  • No Complement: The Saber carries no attack craft.
  • Stationary: The Saber cannot move or change position on its own, and must be towed.
  • Power Drain: When firing all weapons simultaneously, the strain on the reactor and the power draw, cause the shields to power down for the full sixty second recharge, and causes non-essential systems to be powered down for the duration as well.
Special Features:
  • Advanced Targeting Systems
  • Very Big Ion Cannon
REFERENCES

[member="Darth Vulkan"]

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_pulse_cannon
------
Starwars Chaos:
N/A
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Remove the Ion Pulse canon and all mention of it.
Add turbo lasers or a regular amount of ion canons.
------
WITH DEV THREADS
N/A
------
SUGGESTIONS

This is a superweapon. Plain and simple.

Much like an Ion Pulse weapon that destroys entire fleets
The ion pulse cannon was a massive ion cannon model fitted onto the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence.
"A weapon that neutralizes all power to our ships, rendering the targets defenseless." ―Plo Koon[src]
Rather than targeting a specific enemy vessel, the ion pulse cannon fired a massive ion burst that expanded outward from the cannon, disabling everything in its path. Plasma rotors formed a vital part of the weapon, as they were charged prior to each burst of ionized particles.[1] After each shot, the technicians had to allot some time to clean up residual ionized particles in the cannon before firing again.[3]

Please remove it and edit this submission accordingly with the equal amount of turbo lasers / or appropriate ion canons/ or even a hyperveolocity gun.

But as it stands, this is a super weapon, and per Chaos rules, if this remains as it is, will be denied on concept if edits are not made.

Darth Vulkan said:
Binary Fusion Ion Pulse Cannon
Ammunition Type: Ion Energy
Ammunition Capacity: Based on Ship
Effective Range: Just more than a Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun
Rate of Fire: Once Every three minutes Special Features:
Ion Energy: It uses Ion Energy and thus has the capability to disable ships and disrupt electronics, only causing localized structural damage.

The Cannon is ridiculously powerful, requiring the Saber-class to run off Auxiliary power units in order to recharge, meaning its shields are minuscule at best.

The weapon is effectively a massive beam oriented Ion Cannon, similar to a Proton Beam Cannon, only using Ion energy, just on a massive scale. The weapon is so large the central column of the space station is almost completely dedicated to it, using energy tributaries and clusters of Electric Arc Couplers similar to those found on the V-150 Planet Defender.

In the end the weapon draws the energy of three hundred and twenty Ion Cannons, firing with an effective range just greater than a Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun, and the strength of one hundred twenty eight Ion Cannons in a beam lasting two seconds, before the weapon must cycle and recharge for one hundred eighty seconds, pulling all power off the main reactor to do so.

The cannon has been affectionately, and ironically, named the Feth Off Cannon by those who operate the weapon.
I can, but I clearly labeled the what the weapon was and what it was capable of. I can rename the weapon, as its really just a name. Its not the canon weapon of similar name.

[member="Cira"]

[member="Darth Vulkan"]

The weapons needs to be edited so that it is clear that it is not the canon weapon or anything similar to it.

This cannot be a fleet killer. As it stands, it reads like a superweapon.

The beam it fires is small and condensed, only really capable of targeting and striking a single ship. Furthermore, being a spinal, fixed mount its unlikely to be capable of tracking smaller ships like frigates and corvettes in combat.
[member="Cira"]

This what you are looking for?

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/33320-xr-25-scimitar-assault-platform/
I actually found this and found that my station is extremely undergunned for its trade offs, so I evened them out. Its still a little undergunned compared to the above, and under hangared, but as hangar for this is secondary, I don't mind the trade off.

And in with your previous request, I've made the weapon Simply the Ion Equivalent to a Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun and simply added barrels.

After discussion with the Factory Admin and the other Factory RPJ's we have determined the following options for you.

1. The Binary Fusion Ion Canon.

Ammunition Type: Ion Energy
Ammunition Capacity: Based on Ship
Effective Range: Just more than a Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun
Rate of Fire: Once every Three Minutes
Special Features:
  • Ion Energy: It uses Ion Energy and thus has the capability to disable ships and disrupt electronics, only causing localized structural damage.
This is not a canon or a subbed and approved Factory weapon. Please find something in canon or an approved Chaos weapon similar instead of this Binary Fusion Ion Canon.

2. If you really want this weapon, I will need more detail on what 8 barrels of long range heavy hypervelocity guns can do in terms of damage. Obviously, damage is decided by the opposing writer, but I need some clarity on just what the full capabilities are. This will require at least 25 posts of quality dev thread for it. Drop it down to Semi Unique. With more development to increase production capability.

3. I highly recommend you submit the Binary Fusion Ion Canon in a separate submission. Typical weapons consolidations for what you are aiming for seem to be a dev of about 25 quality posts. ( which is the same amount of dev you'd have to do anyways.) Drop this to Semi Unique. With more development to increase production capability.

[member="Darth Vulkan"]

Darth Vulkan said:
Speed Rating: -

Please add a speed rating. If it has no form of maneuverability, please write in that it cannot move and must be towed.

Darth Vulkan said:
How do you feel about an Octuple Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun or equivalent gun count in Heavy Long Range Ion Cannons?
This is 800 gun count at 8 barrels. Far too much.

I would recommend that you push this down to something more reasonable. Perhaps even consider an armament rating instead? ( 18)

Also at this size at 1000, pardon for not noticing it before, but it will require the following per the rules.

5. Space Stations at or above 1,000 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 40 posts, 3-4 writers

Cira said:
5. Space Stations at or above 1,000 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 40 posts, 3-4 writers
Ugh, always forget the at or.

Alright, just a quick work of the gun math from 2.0
A station of 900 Meters would allow for Roughly 360 Guns, 90 Missiles, and 45 Defensive guns.

No missiles goes for 495 guns.

Eh, no thanks. I have access to better and bigger, no offense. I know standards have changed and such.

You can archive this in that case.

Alright, so a Number of Changes.

First, as per your advice, I subbed the Ion Cannon, and it is approved.

Second, I dropped to Limited Production. They aren't meant for serious deployment anyway, so Limited fits.

Third, I added a 10 post Dev thread to comply with the 1000 meter stations or ships needing 10 posts. Demonstration is complete, however thread is ongoing.

For Armament there is only one example Station so, how I came up with the armament was
3000 meter large station
3000 Turbolasers
80 Heavy Launchers
300 Defense guns
3950 total Weapons

3000 meter heavy battlecruiser
2000 Turbolasers
70 Heavy Launchers
220 Defense guns
2810 total weapons

Well that puts stations (disregarding hangar complement) as having about 140% the weaponry for equivalent size ship.

1000 meter Heavy cruiser gets 615 guns, X1.4 for being a station= 861 Weapons.

Thats how I mathed it out with the new templates and guides
Heavy Long Range Hypervelocity Gun= 80 (10 Turbolasers, X2 for Heavy, X4 for Long Range)

[member="Cira"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom