Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-01 Ion Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adron Malvern said:
​Devastating To Systems: The Ion Pulse Missile is easily capable of shutting down a capital ship's systems,
We deny ion cannons which do this, and we deny ion missiles and other things which do the same thing. If you want to specify that this specifically targets a ship's hyperdrive, potentially ripping it from hyperspace through whatever means you can think of, that would be acceptable. A ship-disabling missile that can "easily" do so to capital ships, which typically take fire form hundreds of ion cannons, is not going to fly.

My defense for that argument would be that the leading defense for most ships, especially capitol ships, is the shielding they employ. Few ships utilize shielding through hyperspace so it is in essence, a moment of being vulnerable.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

Adron Malvern said:
My defense for that argument would be that the leading defense for most ships, especially capitol ships, is the shielding they employ. Few ships utilize shielding through hyperspace so it is in essence, a moment of being vulnerable.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]
There is no evidence in canon that shields do not operate constantly, especially when it is required to utilize specific kinds of shielding to actually enter and utilize hyperspace without being flung forwards hundreds to thousands of years in the future.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

I understand and recognize there is nothing to support that shields are powered down during hyperspace travel. However, it is a recurring thing that I have seen that many ships deactivate or cycle their shields when not in combat. I have also seen a few times when ships come out of hyperspace and the first action taken is arming their weapons systems and raising their shields. So perhaps the shileds run in a power save mode or something similar? Also I'd like to point out the missile does not inhereintly disable any ship, That depends on the ships ion defense. However, at the least the pulse is meant to cause the Hyperdrive to fail for a moment, pulling the ship from hyperspace.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

Adron Malvern said:
[member="Lily Kuhn"]

I understand and recognize there is nothing to support that shields are powered down during hyperspace travel. However, it is a recurring thing that I have seen that many ships deactivate or cycle their shields when not in combat. I have also seen a few times when ships come out of hyperspace and the first action taken is arming their weapons systems and raising their shields. So perhaps the shileds run in a power save mode or something similar? Also I'd like to point out the missile does not inhereintly disable any ship, That depends on the ships ion defense. However, at the least the pulse is meant to cause the Hyperdrive to fail for a moment, pulling the ship from hyperspace.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]
I would suggest, rather than attempting to create a missile which states multiple times throughout the submission its intent to completely disable, easily, large ships, that you look into Null quantum field generators and adjust this submission to directly target what keeps the starship from exiting hyperspace prematurely.

The goal of this warhead is to pull the ship from hyperspace. If it is crippled afterward that is a plus but it highly depends on that ships defensive capability to ion technology, as does the missile pulling the ship from hyperspace to begin with. I do not believe I stated it could be easily done anywhere in the submission. In fact, there are several circumstances that must be met for this to work. If you would rather me do some rewording because you feel the intent is something more than I have outlined that can be easily done. If this cannot bring the submission to an approval, please deny and I will reevaluate and move on to a second chance if I feel confident in that.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

Adron Malvern said:
The Ion Pulse Missile is easily capable of shutting down a capital ship's systems,

Adron Malvern said:
Once the warhead comes into contact with the ship, it will detonate, and any susceptible ship's systems could fail, pulling it from the safety of hyperspace.
For posterity's sake, it is stated twice the way that the ship is to be pulled from hyperspace is by disabling the entire ship - which using an ion missile to do while in hyperspace would be the only way, regardless, as there is nothing in the submission which states any other avenue to pulling a ship from hyperspace exists with this missile except to:

Adron Malvern said:
comes into contact with the ship, it will detonate, and any susceptible ship's systems could fail, pulling it from the safety of hyperspace
As stated in your submission, the only way a ship is pulled from hyperspace is if their systems fail, which means disabling these ships. This is done in hyperspace where absolutely no combat has ever been seen in any iteration of canon, from Legends, to Non-Canon Tales stories, to Disney canon, to old TV/Movie canon. In fact, what has separated this apart from other fictional sci-fi realms like Star Trek is that there is no FTL combat.

What will not be approved:
  • A missile which disables a capital ship in a single strike.
What can be approved:
  • A missile which targets the ability of the ship to stay in hyperspace in order to pull it out of hyperspace - so long as it does not disable a ship in a single strike.
The reason I pointed you to the Null quantum field generator, which is a part of the hyperdrive which keeps the ship from exiting hyperspace prematurely, is so that you could look into changing the method of pulling a ship out of hyperspace from disabling ships while they traverse hyperspace into a more nuanced method of rendering their ability to stay in hyperspace impossible by messing with their null quantum field generator, or any number of other possibilities which do not fundamentally alter the way that space travel is done in a Star Wars setting.

If you only wish to pursue the avenue of a missile which disables a ship in a single shot through hyperspace ion missiles, then I'm going to deny this submission because it makes it impossible for a ship in hyperspace to defend themselves when the people on board the ship are attempting to react to a missile that is moving many times faster than the speed of light, especially when there is every canon evidence that you simply do not fight or fire weapons while in hyperspace which would pressure many writers into believing this is an unavoidable hit they cannot get out of which not only pulls their ship out of hyperspace, but also completely renders them defenseless and even tells the person who fired these missiles exactly where the ship in question is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom