Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-01 Ion Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
sKHba9G.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION:
  • Intent: To create an Ion Missile Capable of disrupting a ship in Hyperspace.
  • Image Source: Combat Drone Colors
  • Canon Link: Ion Pulse Missile
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Classification: Ion
  • Size: Large- 10 M
  • Weight: Very Heavy- 8,000 Kg
  • Ammunition Type: Power Cell
  • Ammunition Capacity: 1 Ion Missiles

• Reload Speed: None
  • Effective Range: Extreme
  • Rate of Fire: Low
  • Stopping Power: High
  • Recoil: Average
  • Hyperdrive Class: Average
SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Built-In Navigations System & Soliton Tracker: This warhead is equipped with a Navigations system as well as a Soliton Tracker that may allow near-pinpoint hyperspace tracking,
  • ​Hyperspace Capable: The Warhead is equipped with a Hyperspace module that allows up to Ten minutes of sustained Hyperspace travel.
  • ​Engine Seeker: Along with it's navigation system, it's also outfitted with a seeker program that locks on to active Starship Engines.
Strengths:
  • Hyperspace Capable: This Ion Warhead can slip into hyperspace, in pursuit of a departing Starship. Capable of traveling through the slip for up to ten minutes, if the missile impacts, it may rip a starship out of Hypertravel.
  • ​Exceptional Navigations: To stop the ship from veering out of Hyperspace, and to help a tactical strike against enemy starships, the warhead is equipped with an advanced Navigations system.
  • ​Devastating To Systems: The Ion Pulse Missile is easily capable of shutting down a capital ship's systems, depending on it's resistance to Ion technology it can successfully rip the ship from Hyperspace and damage it's electronic systems.
Weaknesses:
  • Go big or go home: For the Seeker program to work, the Starship size must be considerable. Because of this, this Warhead is virtually useless on any Starship smaller than 500M.
  • ​Prime and Deploy: For this missile to effectively chase into hyperspace, it must be primed and deployed within a few moments of a ship's departure.
  • ​Hyperspace: This missile is incapable of sustained navigation outside of Hyperspace. If the target ship does not slip into hyperspace by the time the missile is prepared to go into Hyperspace, it will deactivate and disarm itself.
  • ​Hyperjump: After deployment, the missile will sit in space for a moment while it begins it's hyperspace calculations, during that time it is extremely vulnerable to enemy attacks.
  • ​Not Infallible: Still in it's core stages of development, the Hyperspace tracker is incapable of pinpoint tracking a Class 1 Hyperdrive, it can give rough estimates of where the ship is, however it is merely too fast for this device's tracking systems.

DESCRIPTION:

During Malvern Shipping & Trade's Relocation to Imperial Territory, the company often came under assault by Pirate fleets. These fleets would use merciless hit and run tactics. While their own ships were meager in comparison to the Company's Trade Fleet, they were able to cause considerable loses. In the beginning, Gravity Well technology was utilized to mitigate these losses. However, the gravity well ships were easy targets that could become disabled, thus making them a useless endeavor to the seasoned pirates.

Rather than utilize technology to prevent the thefts, the resources of the Company were pushed towards the quick reallocation of the stolen goods. Thus, the S-01 Hyperspace Ion Missile was born.

The Missile is useable by any Starship with a proper Missile bay. Once the Soliton Tracker pick up an enemy ship preparing to slip into hyperspace, the missile would be Primed for deployment. As the Missile's systems come online, the enemy ship will slip into Hyperspace. With the systems online, the warhead will begin to prime, and the hyperspace coordinates will be ran through the navigations system. Soon after, the missile will slip into Hyperspace, following the departing ship with crippling intent using it's Soliton tracker.

Once the warhead comes into contact with the ship, it will detonate, and any susceptible ship's systems could fail, pulling it from the safety of hyperspace. Upon detonation, the warhead's signal will cease transmitting to it's home ship, alerting the Fleet of the enemy ship's general disabled location. For the missile to function correctly there are several factors that must be met, yet for a larger fleet attempting to halt a retreat, it is perfect.

Adron Malvern said:
Hyperspace Capable: The Warhead is equipped with a Hyperspace module that allows up to Ten minutes of sustained Hyperspace travel.

Disposable hyperdrives are pretty well established. How fast is this hyperdrive?

Adron Malvern said:
Engine Seeker: Along with it's navigation system, it's also outfitted with a seeker program that locks on to active Starship Engines.
Hyperspace tracking is pretty nebulous, and what specific devices that I know about, such as the soliton antenna and Hyperwave signal interceptors, are both limited in their capabilities. Do you have a source that suggests relatively fine accuracy with a sensor during intra-hyperspace travel, specifically one that tracks an engine signature?

Adron Malvern said:
Devastating To Systems: The Ion Pulse Missile is easily capable of shutting down a capital ship's systems, successfully ripping the ship from Hyperspace and damaging it's electronic systems.
If you'll add a disclaimer somewhere in here that this ability is dependent on the nature of the ship itself. There are some systems out there that specifically protect ships from ion attacks.

Added a speed for the Hyperdrive and added the disclaimer as asked.

Going into a bit more detail, I wanted to know if the following is possible.

Using a Hyperwave Signal Interceptor mixed with the built in navigations system, would that not be enough to detect the ship in hyperspace? If I remove the exactness of engine seeking and instead use a system of trajectory, would that work in place?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Adron Malvern said:
Ammunition Capacity: Three
Is this a reference to the number of missiles? Or a number to the warheads or munitions carried by each missile?

Adron Malvern said:
The Missile is useable by any Starship with a proper Missile bay.

Adron Malvern said:
Size: Large- 30 M
I'm guessing this is thirty meters in length? Something this size will probably need an unusually large warhead launcher or be launched for a hangar bay.

Adron Malvern said:
Using a Hyperwave Signal Interceptor mixed with the built in navigations system, would that not be enough to detect the ship in hyperspace? If I remove the exactness of engine seeking and instead use a system of trajectory, would that work in place?

I think of a system of trajectory would probably be your best general bet, as I don't know of any reference of hyperwave signal interceptors being used to track physical objects already inside of hyperspace. However, what you could do this is state that it can detect and follow comm signals to track a target, if they're transmitting.

That is 3 missiles, i'll specify.

Gir Quee said:
I'm guessing this is thirty meters in length? Something this size will probably need an unusually large warhead launcher or be launched for a hangar bay.
I agree, I'll tone down the size to make it a bit more compact for a standard bay.

Gir Quee said:
I think of a system of trajectory would probably be your best general bet, as I don'tknow of any reference of hyperwave signal interceptors being used to track physical objects already inside of hyperspace. However, what you could do this is state that it can detect and follow comm signals to track a target, if they're transmitting.
So tell me if I'm reaching here. Since a Hyperwave transmitter can track size and speed would that be enough for the trajectory? You have the hyperspace trail that the missile flits into space after, then the Navicomputer uses the transmitter to determine the location by calculating how far it would be from the point of jump.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Adron Malvern said:
Ammunition Capacity: Three Missiles
Typically for a warhead, the ammunition capacity is the missile's payload (like an Ion pulse device). If this was a launcher for this missile, then we might use a capacity of three missiles (or if it was a cluster missile).

Adron Malvern said:
So tell me if I'm reaching here. Since a Hyperwave transmitter can track size and speed would that be enough for the trajectory? You have the hyperspace trail that the missile flits into space after, then the Navicomputer uses the transmitter to determine the location by calculating how far it would be from the point of jump.
Hyperwave transmitter? Are we talking about the Hyperwave Signal Interceptor still, or a different piece of technology?

As far as the hyperwave signal interceptor, it can detect those things specifically when the ship is entering or exiting realspace. I'd have to look at all of the sources to see if that's possible, but with what I know so far, I'd lean against it because there is a notable distinction between speed and velocity. Speed doesn't tell us direction, while velocity does. However, if you can find something that suggests that this tells us the direction as well, I'd be open to it.

As far as the navicomputer part is concerned, we don't know the destination, which I think would make this a pretty short-ranged affair. In other words, a ship could continue forward on a brief jump for half a light minute, then revert to realspace before making a different jump in an entirely different direction. This is complicated by a number of devices in canon and here on the board that allow ships to gradually "turn" in hyperspace, meaning that they're not using straightline vectors.

Updated.

So the Hyperspace Tracker is capable of tracking ships through hyperspace. A Hyperwave signal interceptor can determine mass and speed, if I add both of these into the sub, the navigations system should be able to determine an interception route, am I wrong? Also, this missile is meant to be a fast- one shot hope of pulling the ship out of hyperspace, its not long range or even multi-jump. It's also not infallible. So we don't need to know the destination, just the location he jumped from and direction he was heading.

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Adron Malvern"], there are two issues with where I think you're trying to get this sub to go. This is going to be a "hard" no.

1) The canon technology is not definitively at this point. There is no indication that hyperspace tracking technology is at the point for reliable, real-time and precise tracking. We do not have a single piece of technology that has all three of these attributes, and most only have one. The soliton antenna appears to provide some real-time tracking in hyperspace, but it's not reliable, nor super precise. It can also be jammed accidentally by signals from other vessels and requires a good sensor operator to use. The Hyperwave Signal Interceptor has no indication that it provides real-time tracking in hyperspace. Generic hyperspace tracking as seen in the latest Star Wars movie is quite vague right now, particularly in how "real-time" the tracking is. While it's clear it can follow things, it's not clear as to what distance that is. Even a few fractions of seconds off is going to mean a significant miss when you're travelling over the speed of light.

2) The second is Factory/Codex Standardized Rule #8:

• All submissions need to conform to the general idea of Star Wars. No Gundam Wings, no Transformers.
In Star Wars, we do not see ships or weapons engaging in combat while in hyperspace (unlike Star Trek ships at warp). The closest thing we have is static weapons deployed from realspace projecting into broad areas of hyperspace. Even then, these weapons are not discriminate and they fully rely on the ship coming to them. This missile is the opposite of those weapons, being a very specific, accurate weapon that chases things in hyperspace.

I will not approve something that is going to suggest or encourage people to have large fleeting engagements that occur within hyperspace itself.

This weapon is already pushing it by having the ability to engage ships in hyperspace under very limited circumstances. The main thing keeping me from denying this on concept is that it can be made to be very limited in utility, which means that it will not be abused or encourage large battles in hyperspace.

Hmmm. I certainly see what you mean,

Can I attempt to sub a type of technology that allows slightly more efficient hyperspace travel and then add it to this submission? If that is ok, please archive until such a thing can be completed.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Adron Malvern said:
Once the warhead comes into contact with the ship, it will detonate, and the ship's systems will fail, pulling it from the safety of hyperspace
This is written as such that it looks like it's dictating damage. As always, we can suggest damage effects, but we cannot dictate what damage the opposing writer will take. Please reword this accordingly.

Adron Malvern said:
Upon detonation, the warhead's signal will send off a small ping to it's home ship, alerting the Fleet of the enemy ship's general disabled location.
If this warhead makes a pretty significant burst of ionic damage that's designed to completely take out ships, how does it not fry the communication's system either on impact or with the detonation of the device?

[member="Adron Malvern"], in reference to the new Hyperspace soliton tracker that you made, could also make note of the "may" aspect of that sub here within the missile's guidance systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom