Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship RZ-X A-wing Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
T3QgDYZl.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION​
Intent: To create a sleeker, more powerful interceptor for the open market.
Image Source: Original here, Photoshopped by yours truly.
Canon Link: N/A
Restricted Missions: N/A
Primary Source: RZ-1 A-wing interceptor

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: Kuat Systems Engineering
Model: RZ-X A-wing Interceptor
Affiliation: Open Market
Production: Limited
Material:
- Titanium alloy frame
- Durasteel hull

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Interceptor
Length: 9.8m
Width: 6.5m
Height: 2.8m
Armament: Low
- 2 Laser Cannons
- 2 Concussion missile launchers (4 each)
Defenses: Low
Squadron Count: 12
Maneuverability Rating: High
Speed Rating: Very High
Hyperdrive Class: 1

SPECIAL FEATURES
- 360° rotating laser cannons
- Advanced sensors
- Sensor jamming package

Strengths:
[+] Need For Speed: This ship was designed to be fast, pure and simple.
[+] Scrappy: A dogfighter, this A-wing is excellent at engaging other starfighters and making sure that they stay away from their allied ships.
[+] Got One On My Tail: Not only do the 360° rotating laser cannons help increase accuracy with a better firing arc, but it can also help shoot behind the craft, engaging in starfighters that are giving chase.
[+] Scrambled: The A-wing has the ability to jam the sensors of many surrounding enemy systems, and can even target some homing missiles to confuse them. This makes the fighter excellent for blitz attacks.
[+] I See You: The advanced sensors on the A-wing makes it great for reconnaissance. Coupled with the sensor jamming package and speed, an A-wing is able to gather information on enemy forces and resources before making a quick escape.

Weaknesses:
[-] One Hit Wonder: Due to the light hull plating of the A-wing, a single well-placed hit by a starfighter or capital ship after disabling shields could send the interceptor spiraling to its doom.
[-] Aces Only: The A-wing is fast – too fast, for some pilots. Due to the finely tuned controls, A-wing pilots usually have to be trained more than your average pilot. Because of this, losing any A-wing pilot could be devastating to a squadron: not just emotionally, but because they are so hard to replace.
[-] Hard Targets: While the vessel is equipped with concussion missile launchers, the A-wing is weakest against larger targets, such as Star Destroyers (unless, of course, one rams straight into the bridge – however, this maneuver is not recommended).
[-] Can’t Shake ‘Em: Due to the way the power relays are wired throughout the fighter, the energy going to the laser cannons are halved when locked in the 180° position, so while shooting behind the vessel may be an alternative to shaking a trailing enemy fighter, it is not the most effective.
[-] Invisible, But Not Invulnerable: The sensor jamming system draws power directly from the shield generator, so if the pilot wishes to make themselves completely invisible to enemy scanners, they run the risk of being without defenses.

Description:

With the never ending arms race in the galaxy, Kuat Systems Engineering realized that they needed to update their popular A-wing model. The concept was simple: take the old design, and make it better, with more powerful laser cannons and even faster speeds. As such, this fighter is very well-suited for two types of combat: intercepting and reconnaissance. Its high speed and maneuverability make it more than a match for other starfighters in the galactic theater, and its advanced sensors allow it to scan areas quickly and efficiently before needing to make a speedy getaway.

The A-wing couldn’t be without flaws, however. Due to the need to keep the ship light and the power consumption of the advanced sensors package, the A-wing has incredibly low defenses. Light shielding and armor make it easy to take down with just a few shots, so being targeted by a large group of fighters, or just a more skilled pilot, could be deadly to any A-wing pilot. In reality, it takes a combination of mission selection and expert piloting for an A-wing to be a true asset out in the battlefield.

[member="Cassius Droma"]

This is an excellent sub, and I really like the way it is built to accentuate it being an interceptor.

It is a little unbalanced, however. The sensor jamming and advanced sensors put it just a little over the top for me.

I see two options:

My preferred one would be to have 1 more good weakness added, that would balance everything nicely.

The second option would be to reduce the production, I think to Minor would look good to me to pass this through.

[member="Taryc Ap'Irae"]

I've added a new weakness (Can't Shake 'Em) that nerfs the laser cannons when locked in the backwards firing position, as well as changed the production to Minor, as it does take a more skilled pilot to fly, as stated in the sub.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom