Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech RSD Defense Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A
Intent: To create a new weapon to defend One Sith military installments/assets.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer:
Drakos Systems
Model: RSD Megamaser Defense Weapon
Affiliation: Closed Market

Modularity: No
Production: Mass Production
Material: Megamaser components, Alusteel, Dallorian Alloy, GK7 Cyrocooler
Classification: Planetary Defense Weapon
Size: Planetary Defense Battery
Length: Length of megamaser
Weight: Weight of megamaser
Ammunition Type: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maser
Ammunition Capacity: Technically Infinite
Effective Range:3/4ths Range of a Heavy Long Range Turbolaser
Rate of Fire: Somewhat slow
Special Features:packs a punch
-Advanced Targeting System
-GK7 Cyrocooler
Description: As war continues in multiple fronts across the galaxy, major factions like the One Sith need to come up with new designs to be able to meet new threats, as well as to continue having an edge over the old threats. A first among the One Sith, and building upon his other designs under his project, Krayzen, and One Sith designers decided it was time to create something that could defend One Sith installations.

Working alongside the Chiss, Krayzen, and One Sith designers were able to create their first megamaser defense weapon. Like all the weapons that use masers as their ammunition, masers fire kinetic, and laser energy, making the megamaser highly effective against ray shields, and particle shields. It also features energization crystals that is used in the actuators of the weapon, increasing the damage output, similar to those used in the Millenium Falcon's quad canons.The weapon is also effective at long range, and somewhat effective at medium range, but it is not effective at close range. It can also be able to realign itself to be able to target swifter ships like frigates, etc.

The weapon is not without weaknesses however. It inherits the well-known weakness of maser weapons which are that they will always have a shorter range than a turbolaser canon; additionally, it, like most weapons this size, is vulnerable to fighters attacking it, although the armor somewhat compensates for this. Additionally, like most long range weapons, it needs a lot of energy, which the hypermatter reactors are able to provide.
Primary Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maser
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AG-2G_quad_laser_cannon/Legends
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Energization_crystal

(Worth 4 Turbolasers)

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Krayzen Dratos"]

Krayzen Dratos said:
Classification: Planetary Defense Weapon

Krayzen Dratos said:
Size: Handheld

Krayzen Dratos said:
Length: Length of megamaser

Krayzen Dratos said:
Weight: Weight of megamaser
please change "handheld" to "Planetary Battery"

Krayzen Dratos said:
Effective Range:3/4ths Range of a Heavy Long Range Turbolaser
even with it only being 3/4 of the range this will still have to be counted as a Heavy Long Range Weapon

Krayzen Dratos said:
masers fire kinetic, and laser energy, making the megamaser highly effective against deflector shields, as well thermal shields.
how does this effect shielding any more than anything else. Deflector and Thermal shields block energy and kinetics the same. The big difference is Thermal Shielding will not let particles out. Some people seem to think they are better than standard deflector shielding but there is no reference to this. Some think they block this and that better but again they are just a variant of deflector shields on ship had. In fact the only information says they take a long time to come back online once lowered.

A thermal shield was a more powerful version of the more common deflector shield.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thermal_shield/Legends
Based my stuff of Wookipidea; and yes, I am well aware of the rest of the paragraph, which explains the weakness of thermal shielding.

There are also some submissions that have stated the same thing as I did. Since thermal shielding is a form of deflector shielding, I don't see the problem.
[member=Reshmar]

Also edited the other stuff.

ADM. Reshmar

Krayzen Dratos said:
There are also some submissions that have stated the same thing as I did. Since thermal shielding is a form of deflector shielding, I don't see the problem.
I did not judge these or I would have pointed out the fact that a maser is just a blaster that uses microwaves to ignite gas rather than a laser. A maser is the exact same thing as a Blaster. Blasters have the same kinetic effect as a maser but they use lasers to ignite the gas. That is the only difference. Yes they have more kinetic energy than a laser, but they do not have any special effect on shielding. A maser is just a big Blue blaster.

A maser based weapon is not more effective against shielding than blasters or turbolasers, they are just blue. Generally, a maser is more powerful but that is because they do give more punch because of the dual energy, kinetic damage. That being said it is not really a big issue as long as you go forward knowing it will not really have a bonus against shielding.

Charric wiki
Maser wiki
no where does it say they have more effect on shielding than turbolasers. It states they have more momentum behind them and that they do both energy and kinetic damage. That is all. As this would effect separate shields I do not see how one would say it does more damage to either ray or particle shielding. they would each handle the damage they were designed to deal with. If a ship did not possess either ray or particle shielding I could see it doing more damage because of it doing both types of damage but on a normal ship it would have both ray and particle shielding.

I will let it pass since it doesn't outright say it does more damage just that is it effective against it. I just did not want it to convey that it did do more damage.

Krayzen Dratos said:
Based my stuff of Wookipidea; and yes, I am well aware of the rest of the paragraph, which explains the weakness of thermal shielding.
The canon entry doesn't reflect this only the legacy entry. The Invincable was a dreadnought class vessel and would have had more powerful shielding because it was so big. I just watched the episode and all trench did was refer to his shields as Thermal Shields. He never said they were more powerful and the canon does not say that. Remember wiki is a user edited site and has alot of false information. As there was never any reference to them being more powerful in the source that overrides anything wiki says. The whole more powerful thing might be true but I would imagine it is more because of the ship being a dreadnaught class ship rather than the shields themselves being more powerful.

The site follows Legends. Can you show me any evidence of the site's tech rules going full canon, because if it does, stuff like HIMS devices(and some tech concepts), and pretty much most of the links we have in our tech profiles shouldn't be there, since it isn't canon. Hell, stuff like a gravity well(not the projector, a simple gravity well like one in a planet) is non-canon, because *PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE SPOILERS ON THE FORCE AWAKENS* in the Force Awakens, when the Millenium Falcon jumps from hyperspace in a hangar, it lands directly in Starkiller base(iirc), and Legends wouldn't agree with that, because iirc, in the 1st book of the -awesome- Thrawn Trilogy, when the Millenium Falcon or some other ship is living Mykr, they leave the gravity well of the planet, then jump to hyperspace.
Either way, in this comment section for the tech profile, some of the comments pretty much echo my thoughts, and gives good proof from multiple approved tech submissions. Since deflector shielding protects against both laser, and projectile based(torpedoes, mass drivers), etc, this weapon, from my understanding of SW, would be able to be pretty highly effective, considering the fact that it delivers both laser, and kinetic attacks in one blow, which would effectiveness of the deflector shielding(FYI, this is all based on the maser EU canon).

[member="Reshmar"]

ADM. Reshmar

Krayzen Dratos said:
in this comment section for the tech profile,
I did not judge this submission If I had I would have told him the same thing I am telling you now.
Krayzen Dratos said:
Like all the weapons that use masers as their ammunition, masers fire kinetic, and laser energy, making the megamaser highly effective against deflector shields, as well thermal shields.
Change this to read something like "making the megamaser effective against both ray and particle shielding."

Thermal shielding is just deflector shielding it is no different that any other deflector shielding. The wiki page was edited wrongly. I watched the source material and there was never anything about them being more powerful. Also there is no canon reference to Maser weapons being more effective against shielding just that they have more kinetic power. This would not effect ray shielding at all.

Please make the above edits and I can approve this and pass it on.

[member="Reshmar"]

I've already responded well to the above points. Deflector shielding protects against both kinetic(particle), and energy(ray shield) based attacks. If you completely barrage an enemy fighter that has deflector shielding with energy based attacks like from your laser canons, you are going to take away half of their shield strength. That's why deflector shielding is vulnerable against mass/ion combo attacks, or laser/ion combo attacks, or ion canons. If this is highly effective against both ray/particle shielding, it's going to be do pretty well against deflector shields. It's common sense IMHO. Regardless, I'm not arguing this anymore; edited.

I've also watched the episode man(actually consider it one of the best CW episodes in terms of naval combat); regardless, sure, wookipidea is user edited, but then again, it is inarguably the #1 source in SW, although like Wikipidea, there are a # of flaws.

Krayzen Dratos said:
The site follows Legends.
The site follows both legends and the new stuff, so if the judge requests that you follow things accordingly I suggest doing so. Consistently arguing with judges and backhanded comments are not taken lightly and can result in suspension from the factory. Judges and submitters are to work together to bring something to the standard where it is fair and as balanced as possible. This is not left to discussion this is a verbal warning. It has been a consistent trend in your most recent submissions.

[member="Krayzen Dratos"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom