Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Rose-Tinted Glasses

Tenn Kalos

T

Despite what his upbringing might suggest, Tenn was not typically one to break the rules. A bit rebellious maybe, but going out of his way to sneak away from the temple for a night? That was a bit beyond his typical MO. Whatever misgivings he might still have about the Jedi, they did give him shelter, food, and companionship.

Even if he was still willingly neglecting that last one.

The point being, why would he ever want to jeopardize that? And the answer to that point being, he couldn't ignore every problem. Especially not the ones happening beneath his very feet. Despite Coruscant's gilded surface, its underworld was home to some of the worst crime the galaxy had to offer. Tenn should know, since he spent several years slumming it a few thousand levels below.

The padawan crept through the Temple halls with practiced ease. One didn't survive the urchin lifestyle without knowing how to stay light on your feet. Shep stalked closely beside him, a faint orange glow casting off the charhound's eyes and striping. Not the most pragmatic evolutionary trait for stealth, but being able to belch fire was a neat enough tradeoff. Even less helpful for their purposes, was when Shep started growling, "Shh…" Tenn hissed, trying to put a quick stop to it. No use. The dog had smelled someone nearby, and bolted down the hall to investigate, "No! Bad Shep-!" He took off after, rounding the corner to see Shep rolling playfully on the floor, in front of one of Tenn's fellow students. So much for leaving undetected. "Uhh... Sorry." He rubbed his neck awkwardly.

Tenn would turn the corner to find a young woman rubbing Shep's belly.

Cora glanced upwards, the bags beneath her bright blue eyes appearing even darker in the dim lighting. "So your name is Shep, then?" Smiling back down at the hound, she continued to ruffle the fur of his paunch before rising to meet the dog's master. "No need to apologize," Waving off his concern, she attempted to rub the fatigue from her eyes. "I suppose that I am lucky he's friendly."

Ever the perfectionist, Cora had been spending her evenings at the library in order to learn what she could of both Jedi history and the sectors currently under Alliance protection. When the archivists had gotten tired of her endless questions, they'd directed her towards helpful texts and taught her how to properly query a terminal.

Now a little more awake, she straightened her shoulders and gave a proper introduction.

"I am Corazona von Ascania of Ukatis; however, you may call me Cora." Her gracious smile, though well practiced, seemed to falter at the edges with fatigue. "I...would very much appreciate if you do not tell the Masters that I have broken curfew. It seems I've lost track of time in the library."

She paused as a realization set it, carefully stringing her next thought together.

"Might I ask why you are...also...breaking curfew…?"

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
Corasomething von Whatever.

That was what Tenn had heard during Knight Arani's lesson. There was even more to it than that, but really the 'von' in the middle of her name was all he needed to assume she was a bonafide upper crust type. Which, by extension, was all he needed to assume she was untrustworthy.

Shep seemed to feel differently, though.

"Y-yeah. Shep," Tenn confirmed, the dog choosing now to finally react to the sound of his name. He moved back onto his feet, looking between both of the padawans and panting gleefully, "He must like you. He's… normally more guarded than that," Never quite vicious without prompting, but to immediately roll over for a stranger was rare. The most subtle curl of a smile even formed on Tenn's lip. She seemed nice enough last time…

"Right. I remember. You were at that Entropite class," He remembered the 'Cora' part, at least. And the 'von' part. That had to count for something, "Tenn. Kalos. No 'von' there." He blinked at his own response. The fact that she was concerned about getting in trouble for essentially being too dedicated to her studies was amusing to the more unread Tenn. His grin grew a little wider, and he even chuckled, "Nah, nah, your secret's safe with me."

But as soon as the concern was reflected back onto him, Tenn blinked again, remembering that he was supposed to be brooding and withdrawn. "I- Uh-" Not getting into trouble? That was easy. Explaining his way out of already being in trouble? That was hard. "No reason. C'mon Shep."

Nailed it.

He lurched to the side, already starting to walk around her. The dog stayed put. "C'mooon Shep." The dog whined. Tenn sighed, his gaze drooping to the floor as he stopped beside Cora, "Are you gonna tell anyone?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cora watched the interaction between Tenn and Shep with vague fascination, blunted by her sleepiness. It was clear that there was no small measure of loyalty between the pair, a thought that teased a smile onto her face.

Still, when Tenn moved to step around her, Cora instinctively leaned to block his path. She had every instinct to tell the Masters—rules were there for a reason, unless they happened to be exceedingly unfair—but he'd caught her in the same crime.

Cora had half a mind to drag them both to the Master's quarters and confess to their misdemeanor. Alas.

Perhaps it was the fatigue from a lengthy day of training, classes, and self-study, but it didn't feel right to turn themselves in. Especially when Tenn insisted that he wouldn't tell on her.

"I suppose I should return the favor." She admitted with a tired sigh. "I will not expose your misdeed, Tenn. Provided-"

Cora held out an arm, a gesture meant to dissuade should he decide to try and slip past again. "You tell me what you are doing up past the appointed curfew."

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn stopped abruptly as Cora moved to intercept, but made no move of his own to try again. He studied her out of the corner of his eye, gaze flicking between her face and outstretched arm in search of some indiscernible proof that she would hold to her word. For most, mutually assured destruction would've been enough of a deterrent, but the girl seemed resolute. It was in her voice and expression, even though marred by exhaustion. That, he could very much pick up on.

"Fine," Tenn sighed, "I'm uh… Heading to the sub levels." He could've lied, but he didn't feel much reason to with her. "Trying to pursue a lead I found a while back. Nobody really gives it the time of day, so, I'm seeing what I can do on my own." Tenn shot Cora a solemn look, designed to curry sympathy or pity. It was rehearsed, from years of begging on the street, playing the poor little orphan boy. Shep was trained in it as well, and suddenly seemed to take on a wide-eyed puppy dog look.

"Am I free to go? Curiosity satisfied?" Tenn asked, dropping the act a bit.

"The sub-levels?" Cora echoed, piqued interest instilling a bit of life back into her. Tenn's sad sack routine softened some of her aristocratic rigidness, and even the dog seemed to gaze up at her with round, pleading eyes and a soft whimper.

"What sort of lead are you pursuing? Is it a criminal organization? Are there people in trouble?" Cora stepped closer, vigor increasing. Suddenly, sleep was the last thing on her mind.

Despite being a stickler for the rules, Cora held the idea that justice was right above all else. If a rule was unjust, it was moral to bend, or even break it. If there were people in danger and the Alliance had yet to put a stop to it, she considered it her duty to step in.

Or something like that.

"The lower levels of Coruscant are dangerous." She informed Tenn, as if the young man had never set foot beyond the temple threshold. "I shall accompany your for safety purposes."

It was not an offer, but a declaration.

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
When Cora suddenly stepped forward, Tenn pulled his head back, caught off-guard by her sudden interest. "Y-yeah. Criminal. And probably?" Crime usually involved people being in trouble, anyway.

In the moment, finding a proper reaction of his own was difficult, although his face twisted in a manner suggesting he had been insulted, when she felt the need to remind him the sub-levels were dangerous, "I know. I lived there," Tenn said a bit coldly. She couldn't have known that, but he was also skeptical of how much she knew about the underworld in general. A noble born with a silver spoon in her mouth? Cora seemed to be awfully presumptuous at best.

Much like Tenn was being now.

Despite all of that, his careful study gave way to a resigned sigh, "...Okay." He had expected little more than begrudging acceptance on her part. Letting him go for the sake of keeping her word, and parting ways. Instead, Cora was outright offering, or more accurately, demanding, that she help. And she seemed genuine about it. Tenn wasn't used to people acting so altruistically. It was off-putting, yet at the same time, it made him smile to himself again as he walked past her, "Let's go then. Can't waste time." They would need to be back by morning if they wanted to avoid getting caught. And the nearest lift was still a ways away.

"You uh, ever been on a speeder bike before?" Tenn asked, obviously struggling with small talk. The topic was relevant, though, as he was leading them to the temple's vehicle depot, where his own bike was currently stored away. For Shep's part, he quickly turned back into his original excited self, bounding up alongside the two padawans, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth.

Tenn's composure shifted to something a little more icy, and for a moment Cora wondered if she'd crossed a line. She visibly brightened when he acquiesced—or rather, came to terms with her accompanying him.

"Excellent!" She proclaimed, giving Shep a celebratory head pat. Now satisfied, all intent to obstruct Tenn fell away and she moved to walk alongside him. "Let us make haste!"

The pair of rogue Padawans paced quietly through the halls, mindful of their steps as they made their way to the temple's garage. "A speeder bike? ” She echoed him thoughtfully. "I have not. Father did not permit us to drive nor pilot ourselves in order to safeguard our lives." There was a thread of forlornness in her tone; perhaps she had disagreed with the Viscount's wishes.

"You said that you've lived in the sub-levels. Was this during a prolonged aid mission, perhaps? Charity work?"

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
The boy raised his brow high, "He didn't even let you drive?" In his mind it was utterly bizarre. Tenn had been piloting podracers since before he turned, well, ten. Not by choice, but it was far more dangerous, and part of who he was. Besides, he still turned out… alive, at least. Whether or not Cora was the one in control, it's not like an accident couldn't happen either way. Of all the things to make a fuss over, "Who drove you, then?"

If nothing else, it was sure to be an interesting first experience.

Cora continued to throw him for a loop with her follow-up question, which earned a bewildered stare. "You serious?" He could tell. She was. Tenn's jaw went slack for a moment, before he recomposed for an answer, "N-no. It was… my home. The streets. Before all this Jedi stuff. I didn't… have anywhere else to go."

They crept up to the garage not long after, and Tenn led them to the bike in question. It was a bit old-fashioned, made of worn metal and designed with spartan efficiency rather than luxury. In spite of this, it was evidently well-maintained by its owner, who activated the bike, and let Shep hop on first. Then it was Tenn's turn, sliding on and positioning his arms around Shep to grab the handlebars. "To get to the sub-levels, we've gotta reach one of the city turbolifts first." He then reached behind, and patted the old leather seat behind him for Cora to take. "You might want to hold on tight."

Who drove her? Cora looked puzzled, as if the answer were obvious. Even for Ukatian nobles, the Ascania children were relatively sheltered.

"The chauffeur. Who else?"

Now it was Tenn's turn to look mystified at her earnest question. He had nowhere else to go, so he'd lived on the streets? That didn't seem right. To her own flawed perfection, homelessness was an uncommon phenomenon and only brought about by personal irresponsibility, or perhaps lack of resources. But Tenn didn't seem like a drunk or a spice head, and Coruscant seemed to have plenty of resources. So why wasn't this adding up?

"Oh," The realization of Tenn's situation—or previous one, at any rate—had begun to filter in for her. "I didn't realize that you are poor. I'm very sorry." Instead of revulsion, she seemed earnest and…apologetic?

The reveal of Tenn's bike earned a small murmur of surprise from Cora, who hadn't been sure of what to expect. It was certainly not a top of the line model, but the bike had its own scrappy charm that she tried to appreciate. When Tenn patted the seat behind him for her to take, Cora stepped forward—the abruptly stopped. "Hold on to-" To what exactly? Her cheeks flushed at the implication. Cora had no problem interacting with boys her age in a companionable situation, but she lacked experience in anything further. Even if it was still entirely platonic.

“Very well.”

Nevertheless, she ventured forward, seating herself at the rear of the bike. Tentatively, she wrapped her arms around Tenn's midsection, swallowing down the strange tickles of anxiety in her throat.

"L-like this?"

Tenn Kalos

Last edited:

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn cocked his head to the side, then slowly nodded as if he knew what that even meant. The confused look remaining on his face seemed to contradict that, however. At this point he couldn't tell if she was being too rich, or he was being too poor. Cora acted like a chauffeur was something he should already be familiar with. He wasn't even sure he'd heard the word before. After a moment, risking the chance of looking dumb, he asked, "The hell's a show-fur?"

Cora's earnest, if unnecessary apology, only left him more confused. Normally when their opposing social stratas interacted, the result was at best, pretending his type didn't exist. Turning a blind eye to the downtrodden waifs and the systemic inequalities that kept them that way. All for the sake of maintaining that proverbial ivory tower. Genuine commiseration was… strange. "Oh. Uh… Thanks?" He said anyway.

Once they reached the bike, there was a lapse in certainty that Tenn quickly picked up on. Right. He opened his mouth to answer, but Cora pressed forward on her own, leaving him to just sit there and purse his lips in an awkward attempt at a reassuring smile. She settled in behind him, and as her hands came around his waist, Tenn found himself sitting a little straighter, "Um, y-yeah. Like that." It was a good thing he was facing forward, otherwise his own now-flushing cheeks would have been a bit more visible.

Rather than let that moment linger, Tenn abruptly hit the gas. Immediately, his bike rocketed forward and out of the garage, from completely still to blistering high speeds. They were struck with a rush of wind that temporarily made it near-impossible to hear, but as they flew out into the city proper, the noise somewhat lessened. He took a few moments to absorb the ambience around them: bright lights and colorful neons, offset by the black of night. Aerial traffic overhead twinkling alongside what rare stars could be seen through the skyglow.

"...I think Coruscant always looks best at night."
Tenn said nonchalantly, his voiced raised a little to cut through the noise of engines and wind. Idle chit-chat was atypical of him, but this here was Tenn's element. The night ride.

"A chauffeur." She supplied, correcting the slight mispronunciation. "Is someone who's job it is to drive a vehicle to transport a passenger. Or passengers." The poor didn't even have chauffeurs—how depressing for them.

Tenn wasted no time in chauffeuring them into the Coruscant night air, surging forward so suddenly that Cora squeaked and instinctively tightened her hold around him. She'd never been on a vehicle this small and...precarious before. The juxtaposition between the heated temple and the brisk night air was staggering, as was the view of the city-planet when she managed to unbury her face from his back—another unconscious move. "Y-yeah-" She agreed, taking a few moments to steady herself while she peeked over Tenn's shoulders. The bike lurching into high gear had caused her stomach to tighten; the sensation of hurtling through the city entirely new for her.

But it wasn't so bad, once she started getting used to the wind rushing in her face. A little thrilling, even. Father would have never approved in a millennia, and to a little part of Cora, that thought alone was satisfying enough.

"I've never seen Coruscant like this." She called over the din, gaining the courage to turn her head to the side as blaring neon lights shifted over them at a mile a minute. "Or any place like this, to be honest." Since she'd joined the NJO, Cora always had an inkling that she'd been sheltered from the greater galaxy. It hadn't bothered her much, but now she wondered just how much she'd missed out on.

"Is this how you always get to see Coruscant, Tenn? It's so colorful and busy."

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn's lips twisted into some indiscinerble expression. The concept wasn't entirely alien to him, although the circumstances were; In his experience, that wasn't the kind of job you had to pay someone to do. You just had to own them. He made no other comment on the matter beyond a single, "Hm." That wasn't a part of his life he was all that interested in revisiting.

It wasn't much longer before they were launched out into the city, weaving through high-speed traffic with casual ease. Coruscanti streets were nothing compared to underground podraces, and during his time in those circles, Tenn's Force-connection hadn't been nearly as honed as it was now. Once they had hit a steady speed, Cora pried herself from his back, and Tenn looked over his shoulder at her with a sheepish smile that was intended to be reassuring. He had remained stiff at the controls, eyes glued forward right until then, not knowing how to better react to the girl right behind him. Almost immediately after, he swung his attention back to the drive.

Shep was blissfully unaware of anything other than the wind in his fur, and the countless scents of the city passing him by.

"Really?" Tenn asked, the excess color finally draining from his face. He was hardly one to speak on the matter, but his expectations for a noble were much different, "I'd have figured someone like you went on trips all over the galaxy." There was something about the rich kid being as inexperienced as him that was both comforting, and immensely annoying. All the resources at their disposal, only to be thrust into the real world with no understanding of how any of it worked. Meanwhile, he was forced to accept the harsher truths of the galaxy whether he wanted to or not.

"Not always…" Tenn admitted, "The first time I ever got to see the surface level was when I joined the Jedi. If we're not counting when I first got to Coruscant." Which he did not. It was little more than a ship ride down to the same place they were heading now. If he realized it would be the last time he would see genuine sunlight for years to come, he might have taken more care to absorb it all. "Down where I lived it's… not quite so nice." Neon lights aplenty, but down there the splendor was lacking. Tacked onto grimy, worn-down infrastructure, tended by people who cared for little more than their own skin. The color hardly seemed to make a difference.

The bike suddenly skidded as Tenn flung them down a side path, towards a large, industrial turbolift. There was no one else inside, which worked just fine for him, allowing the bike to slide to a halt inside. Both he and Shep remained ever unaffected by the thrills of a speeder. Or at least, negatively unaffected. A flicker of a smirk crossed the padawan's face as he input their destination in the console.

Level 3000.

Cora listened to Tenn as intently as she could over the hum of the motor and wind rushing past her ears. The way he spoke about his home had struck her—largely because it wasn't in a positive light. Ukatis hadn't been perfect, but Cora couldn't recall her world with anything less than fondness.

"I'm not as well traveled as I'd like to be. Father kept us close at hand." Suddenly, she felt a little more appreciative of her family's rigid upbringing. As much as she would have loved to to have been allowed more freedom, at least she'd been well cared for. "I've alw—!"

A gasp cut her words short when Tenn took a sharp turn that sent them hurtling down a narrow side street. The crisp air thinned, shielded away by the towering duracrete walls that ran along either side of them. Finally, they skidded to a stop inside the turbo lift cab. Releasing the breath she hadn't realized she was holding, Cora loosened her grasp from Tenn's torso as he keyed in their destination. The thrill of racing through the air was still tingling in her stomach and along the periphery of her limbs.

"Where did you live before Coruscant, Tenn?" Leaning so that she could see her reflection in one of the bike's rear view mirrors, Cora did her best to smooth down frizzy, unkempt blonde strands that had been whipped by the wind.

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
"Figures," Tenn droned, barely audible over the rest of the noise. As expected, Cora's upbringing was as sheltered as it was privileged. Like all the rest born into their wealth. He made an unspoken bet that her allowance was worth more than what he accumulated over his whole life. What confused him even more, though, was the fact that despite her family's fortune, here she was living with the Jedi of all people. All thoughts he kept to himself, for now, as they skidded to a halt inside the elevator, and the big bay doors shut behind them.

To them on the inside, the ride down to Level 3000 was of little disturbance, but it was a breakneck drop that was clocking floor after floor in seconds. Yet it would still take time for them to reach so far down from Coruscant's surface. Shep hopped off the bike to move around for the duration of their descent, while Tenn stole a glance at Cora through the mirror. He quickly looked away and did did the same as her, running fingers through his auburn hair. Keeping up appearances wasn't really something he even considered on most occassions. Whatever bare minimum he needed to look presentable.

Cora's question was met with silence for a few long moments, while Tenn debated his answer. He relented to the truth, "Uhh… Well, I was born on Lorrd. But I spent most of my childhood on Ando Prime," The padawan pursed his lips, shifting them around as if more words were trying to escape his mouth. "I was a uh… a slave," The last word came out in a near whisper. Tenn's eyes cast downward, and he rubbed the back of his shoulder; Though not visible underneath his shirt and jacket, there was a brand that marked his skin in that exact spot.

"Was a racer for my owner. Podracers, swoop bikes, whatever made him money."
His gaze fell to the screen displaying the floor numbers, ticking down in quick succession, "He eventually sold me to someone else, and I managed to escape on the buyer's ship during the trade. Came to Coruscant, not really realizing what I was getting into. But I figured anything was better than that." Tenn had traded one struggle for another, though he perhaps wasn't technically wrong. At least on Coruscant he had freedom. Not that freedom ever amounted to much luxury.

"…W-what about you? What was your home like?" He quickly asked, trying to turn the attention away from himself.

While Tenn relayed his place of birth, Cora reached down to scratch Shep between the ears when he'd wandered closer to the bike. What a fascinating childhood, to travel from one world to another—it sparked a bit of friendly jealously in Cora, and she curled her fingers under Shep's chin to rub the underside of his maw.

"I was a uh… a slave,"

Abruptly, her hand stopped. Aside from seizing in surprise, Cora was uncertain of how to react. She'd never met a slave before, or at least, not someone she'd recognized to be enslaved. Slaves were gaunt, abused people performing backbreaking manual labor while clapped in irons, according to her mental imagery. Not racers. This didn't make any sense—but then the realization that she could have interacted with slaves and had not recognized them as such hit her as a chill to her stomach.

"O-oh…" Was all she could say, Tenn's abrupt shift in posing a polite inquiry of her origins having gone over her head for now. She was too nervous to look at him, even at Shep, so her eyes remained glued to the lift floor. Like Tenn, she watched the numbers tick down in silence.

The longer she stayed quiet, the more awkward this all felt. Reluctantly, she looked over at Tenn. "I…" Her throat felt dry, so she cleared it. "I'm sorry, Tenn. I didn't intend to bring up unpleasant memories." Normally exuberant, Cora felt far more subdued in the moment. To be bought and sold like property—it was unthinkable. Where Cora had seen the Jedi as a stepping stone, Tenn saw them as an escape.

Still, one thought slipped past her more tactful filter:

"May I ask why you continue to ride, then? Do you not have an aversion to it, if this is something you'd been forced to do?"

A pause, and she shook her head vigorously.

"Please, do not answer that if you'd rather not! I've…never met someone who has been enslaved before. At least, not to my knowledge. I don't mean to cause any upset."

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
"O-oh…"

That was actually more or less the response Tenn expected. He winced a bit, feeling genuinely bad for Cora and the awkward position she was now in. It wasn't something he liked revisiting, but that couldn't be pinned on her. Even the ever-oblivious Shep could read the room now, not that it stopped him from nudging the girl's hand for more scratches. Or maybe it was some attempt to comfort her. Or both.

She apologized, and Tenn just shook his head, raising a hand, "It's okay. You couldn't have known," Throughout it all, Cora's sincerity was well-documented. Whatever preconceived opinions he had of her prior to interacting were gradually sloughing away. Well, other than the ones that she already reinforced. But her sympathy never really struck him as forced or manipulative. To some extent at least, she cared. Which was enough for him to not turn completely cold towards her.

"No, no, it's fine. Really. It's… a good question," Tenn raised a palm towards her to assuage the young noble's concerns as she slipped up. A faint smile even managed to cross his face again. He was pulled back into his own thoughts, and shifted so that he was sidesaddling the speeder, "I think it's… liberating, in a weird sort of way. Whenever I was a slave, I always felt the most free when I was driving. It took me away from whatever other work he forced us to do, gave me something to be in control of. Now… I do it because… I want to. Not because I'm being told to, y'know?" He was good at it. He liked it. This was his way of taking it back. Denying his slavers any further control over what he did with his life. "I dunno. Does that make sense?" Tenn asked, genuinely uncertain.

A few moments later, the turbolift gate slid open, revealing a long side street flanked by buildings. Not too dissimilar from where the lift sat up on the surface, but down here it was like a twisted mirror. The street was worn and cracked, the buildings grimy and decayed. There was a dry, acidic sting to the air, flooding their nostrils as soon as the gate opened. To Tenn and Shep, it was quite familiar, "This is our stop."

As Tenn waved off her concern, Cora deflated a bit. She wasn't sure why, but this interaction left her feeling…passive. A little guilty, even. But Tenn was gracious, opting to give genuine thought to her careless inquiry. While he sounded out his response, Cora leaned a little closer, the elbows of her crossed arms resting on the space between them as she focused intently on Tenn.

"I'm not sure." She answered quietly, lips pursed in thought. His body language indicated uncertainty, trying to work through his own explanation. It certainly seemed like a complicated mix of feelings. "If you're happy riding, then I suppose it does not have to make sense, does it?"

She'd read stories of those who've found freedom on the back of a mount or cruising through the galaxy, so it stood reason that a racing slave would feel the same way when he was allowed to do as he pleased.

The lift doors shifted open, and Cora was assaulted by a wave of stale, acrid air. "Ashla Almighty!" She gasped, immediately covering her mouth and nose with her sleeve. "What is that putrid stench? Has…has someone perished nearby?!" Her head turned this way and that, unable to immediately locate a body. It would not surprise her if a corpse or two were hidden in one of these nearby decrepit alleys.

Heaving a defeated sigh, The blonde pinched her nose shut. "Since you've been so kind as to share your story with me, I suppose it is only fair that I relay the tale of my own origins." Her voice came out with a nasally pitch. "I hail from Ukatis, as you know. My father is a Viscount." A familiar sensation prickled at her chest—the guilt from earlier. It was starting to make sense. Tenn had a life of struggles as a slave; Cora had grown up in luxury as the daughter of a noble family.

"We have the largest swath of farmland on Ukatis—our people are hardworking and diligent. They help to feed the entire planet!" Never mind the industrial creep into the increasingly unworkable fields. Before trade has become a staple, Ukatis was prone to famine. Still, it was evident that Cora was proud of her people. "As the eldest child of Ascania, I am slated to inherit the title of Viscountess. One day, it will be my responsibility to care for the people in Ascania territory."

That was what she had hoped, at least—despite being the oldest child of the Viscount and likely heir, political intrigue and a smattering of younger siblings could make matters murky.

She was still holding her nose.

Tenn Kalos

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn stewed on her words for a few moments, then nodded, "Yeah. I guess so," That worked well enough for him. Translating his thoughts aloud was not always his greatest skill. For him, nonverbal cues said much more than words ever did. Lorrdians could hold an entire conversation without uttering a single word. Further introspection was put on hold, however, as their turbolift came to a stop. Coras' reaction was harsh; Tenn's was blank-faced, "Well… that's definitely possible," He admitted, shifting back around on the bike, patting the space in front of him for Shep to hop back on, "But it usually smells like this anyway. You get used to it."

Eventually.

The shot off once again, albeit at a less intense speed than up top. Tenn's gaze never left the road, spare an occasional glance at Cora through the mirror, but he absorbed everything she said, even if some of it was a bit outside of his comprehension. But the pride she took in her people and her family was evident. Tenn could at least relate to that on some level, although cultural retention was a bit above him in the hierarchy of needs, "Sounds like a lot to put on a kid's shoulders," He said in a way that managed to seem both serious and sarcastic. His own upbringing was certainly not your typical, blissfully ignorant childhood. The idea of managing an entire territory didn't exactly sound stress-free either. At least she had other comforts to rely on. "So why are you a Jedi? If you have all that ahead of you, why dedicate yourself to this life?" They swung around a corner, and through by dimly lit avenues that seemed strangely unpopulated; Spare the occasional hoodlum or vagrant, who were passed by with little fanfare.

Cora pulled a brief, horrified face when Tenn didn't outright deny that the stench could have been from a corpse. Still, he was right—she'd likely get used to the unpleasant smells of Level 3000 sooner or later. Hopefully sooner. With that thought, she released the vice-like pinch on her nose.

Even the feeling of zipping along on a speeder bike felt less precarious, giving her the mental space to ponder Tenn's reaction. "I suppose it may feel that way sometimes. But this has been my duty from birth—one that I am proud to bear." Cora simply had not known any path other than the one laid out before her.

Her hold around his torso tightened just a bit each time they passed the odd drifter, and she'd instinctively lean in the opposite direction. Fortunately, no one seemed to pay them any mind. Tenn's question took her by surprise, but she supposed that it was only natural. "Ukatis is seeking membership with the Galactic Alliance. If I excel as a member of the NJO, it will reflect well on my home and make the transition easier." Which was the hope, at least. "After discovering my Force sensitivity, father figuring that having a Jedi in the family would elevate our station."

The acrid wind in her face pulled a sudden thought to the forefront of her mind.

"This is why I believe that we should not tell the Masters that we are...ah, here." She had the grace to sound sheepish, at least.

Tenn Kalos

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom