Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rook Takes Pawn

00019010ce.gif
Carlac was once an outpost of Deathwatch during the times of the Clone Wars, and it would be abandoned sometime later by the authority of Pre Vizsla. It wouldn't see Mandalorian presence for a good time since then, and its native inhabitants were thankful for it. They were pillaged and attacked by Vizsla's Deathwatch, their towns burned to ashes and their bodies dropped in the snow.

Unfortunately, their peace wouldn't be forever as Clan Munin came.

They were weak, and the strong would conquer them. They were driven out from their homes, slaughtered without remorse as Vilaz and his aliit claimed Carlac as their own, spreading their domain and influence.

Their arrival was recent, but they were fortifying themselves and establishing sites to harvest resources for themselves, and it was bountiful.

As work was being done, Vilaz awaited in some chambers expecting company outside of his Clan. A fellow by the name of Rook interested him, earning himself an invitation to speak with the Warlord in person.

Wasn't everyday the Concordian organized meetings as they were a waste of time, and time at his age was precious and not something to waste.

[member="Quell Rook"]

Snow crunched beneath his feet as Quell stepped down off the loading ramp of his Kom'rk-class fighter/transport. A beskar gauntleted hand traced it's way reassuringly across the skull and crossbones stylized mythosaur etched onto the side of the attack craft's worn outer hull.

The former Death Watch camp was abuzz with activity, Clan Munin warriors for the most part ignored the new arrivals as they went about their daily tasks. Lingering on the windswept landing pad briefly to offer some final hushed instructions to his clansmen, the alor'ad sauntered off through the camp on his own in search of [member="Vilaz Munin"].

Mandalorians valued strength above all else, Te Veman exiles most of all. Rook had little regard from honor, but he knew how to carry himself among the more traditionally minded of his people. He would meet with the Cuir Rekr alone, an honor guard would be seen as a sign of weakness.

Striding into the center of the war camp, Quell drew his beskad and drove it into the icy earth.

"I am Quell! I speak for my clan!"

In truth, Rook was a clan as divided as the Mandalorians themselves. But the alor'ad's words were true enough. He spoke for the largest faction of Rooks operating in the known galaxy.

That was a way to make an entrance. Warriors stopped what they were doing as they looked at Quell, a bit confused and perplexed by the Rook clansmen. Beskad was drawn and buried into the hard earth covered in snow. None of them engaged, they just stood and waited what would happen next.

For Vilaz, he was too perplexed which was enough to raise both eyebrows. Impressed by it? He was uncertain, but he was impressed by the man’s tactics in doing things.

The Concordian walked out of his grand tent, walking towards the yell with Munin clansmen stepping aside.

”Quell, was it?” he asked to Rook Alor’ad, stepping out from the crowd to meet his expected guest.

”Come with me, and back to work,” gesturing the Pirate to follow him while ordering his warriors to resume their work. The two Mandalorians walked in silence until they entered Vilaz’s tent.

”Tea, water, or ale? Don’t ask about the tea.” A Mandalorian drinking tea? Preposterous to some, but there were benefits from drinking it. He still drank ale and liquor, though he drank water the most.

”Hungry? I have some meat and soup warm and ready.”

It was always custom to invite a visiting warrior to something to eat or drink before getting right down to business.

[member="Quell Rook"]

"Quell, was it?"

The warrior who asked him could only have been [member="Vilaz Munin"]. Quell had been pointedly ignoring all those whose attentions had been grabbed by his theatrical arrival in their midst.

"Aye," he confirmed simply, and followed Vilaz back inside the commander's tent without another word.

Rook's eyes flitted back and forth across the interior, quickly assessing the likelihood that this was some form of trap. He was always on the lookout for an exit strategy, and although he appreciated that Munin had not insulted him by confiscating his weapons, Quell nevertheless kept his hand near the WESTAR-34 holstered on his utility belt.

"Plain ol' gutrot is just fine, hoss," he drawled in response to Vilaz's courtesy, raising an eyebrow at the mention of tea but otherwise respecting the Cuir Rekr's wishes.

Quell graciously accepted the proferred ale, downing it in just a handful of gulps, "Obliged."

He visibly relaxed. The offer of refreshment was a sacred compact among their people, it meant that any betrayal would be considered a stain on Munin's honor if word of it traveled. So this was a legitimate meet, then.

"What say we talk business, aye?" his lips curled up into a lasviscious smile, a gleam reflecting off the crown of his chromium plated tooth.

He didn’t care if Quell had his weapons on his person. If the man did try to do something smart it was him against all of them. Not exactly great odds, and Vilaz was more than ready to defend himself if it came to that. But the Concordian thought best in the Rook warrior and trusted that no commotions would come out from this. The man was smart as seen in what he could do.

”Elek,” the Warlord replied with a smirk on his face as the Pirate Mandalorian grinned, showing off a chromium tooth implant.

”I’ve heard and seen reports on what you and your people can do, Rook. Seems you guys enjoy raiding banks, causing a bit of terrorism over here for profit. The pirate’s life.”

A Mandalorian was dangerous in any profession they pursued. Bounty hunting, mercenary work, pirating, crusading, whatever kind of work that required a blaster and a beskad.

”But you lack support, I’ve heard your clan is a divided one. A shame, y’all be getting more results if united.” He was uninterested in what caused Clan Rook to divide as that wasn’t his clan to worry about. Not his business to intervene and settle things. A Mandalorian was expected to do things on their own and he predicted Clan Rook would become stable, getting things settle down and have everyone work coherently.

”I do have a proposal for you, one that would content you and your raids. Work for me, fly under the banner of my Clan. You will gain my support in your endeavors so long they bring profit to the table. What say you?”

No doubt did Quell have other questions to ask. Seemed a bit vague, but Vilaz was a fair man and would happily answer any of his questions to come.

[member="Quell Rook"]

"I prefer to think of meself more as a...soldier of fortune," Quell offered [member="Vilaz Munin"] a sly wink, "A privateer even, if it suits ye."

Sitting down only made it more obvious that the alor'ad was slightly bow legged, the type of minor deformity that comes with a lifetime of riding landspeeders. Before he ever sailed the void, Quell had run a swoop racket on Concord Dawn.

"Ye haven't met many Rooks before, eh?" he chuckled when talk turned to his family and their...reputation, "Unity among my people just means more to watch out for. Make me a rich man, and the others'll fall in line if they know what's good for em."

He had suspected what was coming next since Clan Munin first reached out to his people. An offer he couldn't refuse, so to speak. Still, it was worth clarifying a few points first.

"I won't play ya for a di'kut, I can see the appeal. A patron with some respect, who respects our line of work...except there's the Empire."

Quell let the word hang there for effect before picking back up.

"Me people stuck our necks out in the war, risked everything so that we'd be welcomed back into the fold. Yer asking us to burn a lot of bridges, burc'ya. To go against Mand'alor herself."

Digging a cigarra from his utility belt, he lit the tabac with a low powered jet from his wrist mounted flamer.

"Ye really believe in the Fett kid that badly?"

He could relate to that, a soldier of fortune that is. Vilaz was still a mercenary in these times for the Dark Lord of the Sith. A client Vilaz enjoyed having as he was paid in large amounts of fortune for his services. Benevolent was Carnifex, and that was very ironic to say.

His proposal seemed to interest Quell very much. For the Munin, there was high stakes and somewhat low risks when one worked with him. Again, he was fair in terms of providing the best for his warriors and close friends. Sometimes sticking out his neck for them so long as both parties had a mutual relationship helping them both.

Was Quell someone to have that? It was, and maybe a gamble.

But taking risks always turned out well for Vilaz.

”The Empire?” the Warlord snorted at the Privateer’s concerns, There are other things to fear about, Rook. The Infernal and her Empire are not one of them as they seem to enjoy themselves playing with dresses and partying with aruetiise. They’ve lost a lot after my Clan and other notable ones such as Vizsla raised a fist at them. Being under my banner earns you perks that not even the Infernal can give you.”

He liked to see his Clan as something akin to a powerhouse. Clan Munin was very independent and self sustained themselves. They farmed, they built, they warred; in short, they did many things that nations themselves could do.

A question was asked about his own faith in Koda.

”I do, and many do. Though I have not just faith in him, but in all of us, Rook. We all play an important role in these times, and yours is one that will bring more wealth to us.”

The Munin then pulled out a hologram device and placed it in between them. Blue lights would come alive, making an image in the shape of a ship. There were more than just that schematics.

”These are vessels my engineers plan to construct for our project, Rook. All with different functions, but with a common goal. I have also started to assemble a crew for you to command.”

He then stood up, a hand gesturing for Rook to follow. ”Come and see.”

[member="Quell Rook"]

Quell chucked at Munin's words concerning the state of the Empire. They were true enough, the bitter irony of political affairs on the homeworld was not lost even on a scoundrel like him. These loyalists were not coward, but they seemed to have lost the warmongering spark of their people that had been rekindled under Mand'alor the Undying.

"T'would be a boon for me people to hunt where it pleases us, without worry for peace bargains or aruetiise alliances."

As his conversation with [member="Vilaz Munin"] turned to talk of honor and patriotism, Rook grinned wolfishly once more. His expression was earnest, but the pirate's eyes glittered with amusement. There was little doubt in his mind that if Koda Fett were declared Mand'alor tomorrow, these Te Veman radicals would be at each other's throats within a week.

"Ye had me at wealth," he winked at the Cuir Rekr before pondering Munin's proposal, "I usually pick me own mates, but let's see what ye have on offer."

Rising to follow his potential patron, Quell followed Vilaz out of the commander's tent and back out under the open Carlac sky.

They walked out of the tent and back out into the Carlac sky, warriors continuing to their duties. Their main profession was to know how to fight in a deadly, efficient manner but Vilaz decreed that every clansmen needed to learn a second skill at minimum, or more if they desire it. Whether it was to learn how to become a farmer, engineer, teacher, builder, scientist, or whatever it is they chose to be. Clan Munin lacked nothing in terms of occupations. Can’t just rely on raids and the loot one plundered from it.

”Jai’galaar!” the Warlord shouted and in few moments several warriors stopped their activities and lined themselves up in columns and rows, all in a disciplined manner. The group was diverse in terms of gender and species. There were humans, Wookiees, Zabraks, Kyuzos, Togorians, Trandoshans, you name it. All swearing allegiance to Clan Munin and to the Mandalorian culture.

”This is what I have. Warriors trained in guerrilla warfare, boarding, and different aspects that focuses on our project,” the Munin said to the Rook.

”Your thoughts?”

[member="Quell Rook"]

"Our 'project', right..." Quell let out another rasping chuckle. So far [member="Vilaz Munin"] had paid him no disrespect, but the alor'ad could tell his prospective patron was nevertheless not entirely comfortable speaking in certain terms about his profession as a pirate and thug for hire.

Pausing to light a cigarra now that he was back outdoors, Quell wasted little time in strutting over to the assembled Munin warriors and pacing back and forth in front of him, as if he were a drill sergeant inspecting fresh troops.

"Not bad," he nodded appreciatively after a drawn out silence, examining each warrior in turn. Pausing in front of a particularly vicious looking Trandoshan, without warning he lashed out, closed fist freezing mere millimeters away from the reptile's face. When the Munin warrior didn't even flinch, he grinned, "Disciplined, too. We'll have to work on that."

Turning back to Vilaz, he flicked his cigarra butt onto a snowdrift and crossed his arms.

"But how far are they willing to go?" Rook asked the cuir rekr, "Our calling is not exactly....traditional. No glorious battles or worthy foes if we do it right. Your lot willing to shed their precious honor and prey on the weak? Down in the mud we're all aruetiise in spirit."

Vilaz observed Quell as the Privateer steered around to inspect the assembly line of Munin pirates, I’d they could call themselves that. He grinned to himself when the Trandoshan warrior didn’t flinch a bit to the feint punch. Every Mandalorian, whether Munin or another Clan, should always have that kind of discipline. They were warriors and such expected to get beaten up all the time.

The Rook Alor’ad finished his inspection and then asked a question that would perhaps surprise some others.

He laughed, only for a few moments though.

”Oh, Rook. Managed to amuse me twice today, not bad,” and chuckled slightly when finishing that sentence. ”Not far away from here was a town of aruetiise. Know what happened? We slaughtered them, plundering whatever loot we could find. My Clan and I follow the old ways for feth’s sake, Rook. Of course we prey on the weak and take what is theirs. Who you think we are? The Australis di’kuts?”

Killing innocents that didn’t deserve it was no stranger to the Concordian, but there was one small condition.

”Though we do not harm any children. I say this so we can take them in, increase our ranks, and train them into a grand warrior. That is one rule that we operate on; however, if they’re not worth the trouble, then don’t bother.”

”So what you think? You’re in?”

[member="Quell Rook"]

Maybe these were his kind of cutthroats after all.

[member="Vilaz Munin"] had laughed, but the warriors he had assembled remained as still and solid as Mandalorian iron. It was another example of the same 'over-disciplined' nature that he would have to sharpen out of them like a whetstone. Quell preferred a crew that could think on their feet, had their own opinions, to a point. The alor'ad's final say was still as good as law aboard his ship, there were some traits among his people that were truly universal.

"It's a tempting offer, to be sure," Rook stroked his chin thoughtfully, feigning a lingering uncertainty over their potential arrangement.

In truth, after his run in with [member="Kaine Australis"] and his clansmen on Onderon there wasn't much left for his people in the Empire. He was persona non grata, in a manner of speaking. Rob one little bank stuffed with Imperial accounts, and suddenly you were as good as dar'manda. By now they had probably figured out he was not an infamous Munin supercommando as he had claimed to be to deflect some of the heat now on his clan.

"What the hell," he grinned, having apparently weighed his options and reached a conclusion, "Privateer work pays the same, ye can count on me beskad, vod."

Lighting another cigarra to celebrate, he offered one to Vilaz before adding, "No kids, I can live with that. Not much profit in it anyway."

Another half truth. There were those among his clan who made a tidy profit back on Gargon in the sentient trafficking racket, but they would fall in line if the paydays Clan Munin was promising were to be believed. If not, they would fall to his blade.

"Looks like we're gonna need a bigger boat."

A smirk was on his lips after hearing Quell’s conclusion. It was a risk for both men, but either one would be a fool for not making a partnership. Vilaz would provide Quell the resources he need, and in return the Privateer would raid freely in order to compensate for those resources while keeping some loot for himself.

It was a win-win deal.

”Haven’t smoked in a while, but what the hell,” and accepted the cigarra from the Mandalorian. In truth, he stopped smoking after meeting his wife years ago and starting a relationship with her. She probably wouldn’t approve of this, but this was something to celebrate. Wouldn’t hurt to have one cigar on this occasion. He took a smoke from it, carefully not to screw up and not cough from it. That would be embarrassing.

”More like bigger boats. I’ll throw in some credits to have some ships built for ya. Just tell me what you need and you’ll receive. I’m assuming something fast and packs a punch?”

[member="Quell Rook"]

"There's a true verd!" Quell's eyes gleamed in amusement while he watched [member="Vilaz Munin"] take special care with a few tentative puffs he had been smoking long enough to mostly eradicate his upper register, leaving a raspy voice like in the holofilms.

In truth, sharing tabac with another was about the closest thing there was to a sacred Clan Rook tradition. Whether Munin recognized it or not, it was this act that sealed their deal in his new partner's mind for better or worse. Now all that was left was for them to spill blood together, but given Carlac's remoteness he was content to wait for a proper opportunity.

"Now you're speaking my language," he slapped the cuir rekr across his back, relishing their negotiations all the more now that the subject of credits and material had been raised, "But not too much of a punch, mind ye. Something with plenty of ion. Our line is knife work, sasa ke? Too much boom, ye run the risk of wrecking yer prize."

The pirate's mind was reeling with possibilities. Kom'rks got the job done, but living aboard one was not a life of luxury. He could expand his crew's squadrons, possibly even refurbish a corvette or even cruiser to serve as his command ship. And that was only the beginning, after a few jobs he'd have the capital to start building his own fleet, free and clear of any debt to the Munin's. It wasn't that that his pledge had been insincere, but any Rook worth his beskar learned to always plan for contingencies.

In truth, the amusement from Quell was a bit odd for Vilaz. Not saying that the Munin didn't celebrate, but when in negotiations and coming to a good conclusion the Warlord didn't express any type of celebration. Was serious and stern in his composure at all times. A cigar, like now, was simply good. Just strange from a privateering Mandalorian to act all cheerfully.

"I getcha, more ion than anything then. I'll get you something like that, any other request? Can't just rely on that."

Vilaz intended to give somewhat of a fleet to Quell. Not something too incredibly large as the Munin had not seen any progress yet. Some corvettes here and there, and perhaps a capital ship or two. Something decent, yet reliable and sharp to get the job done.

[member="Quell Rook"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom