Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Romantic Insights

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
First off no this isn't an LFG for romantic rp this is more a way to learn more about people.

Just like how which is the favorite, Return or Empire (return obviously) have it be fun. Have it not be a negative judgement.

So what type of romance do you enjoy. From the beautiful fun Morticia and Gomez to the classical Dejah and John Carter or even Genji and Murasaki, tragic doomed love like Guts and Casca or Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Even the hilariously strange like Citrus or frustratingly obvious like Luke and Mara... or toxic like the Lannisters. Aeryn and Crichton, Obi and Satine, Anakin and Padme, Lara Croft and adventure, Aang and Kitara.

Bonus points for any details of it to give insight.

MIne

John Carter and Dejah Thoris: A wonderful sword and sandal style adventure that inspired a lot of sci fi for sure... but the development of love between them is important and ignoring the last book someone else wrote almost 100 years after the series ended. After they fell in love no one ever came between them. Phaidor tried and failed realizing in the end, different martians tried and she held onto hope and yeah the story is from Carters perspective, you don't see everything she does but you know she is smart, capable and able to protect herself in many cases.. usually only beaten back and captured when it is a force be believed a god or legend surprising her. The Warlord of Mars sums it up

"Lives there upon any world such another as John Carter, Prince of Helium? Lives there another man who could fight his way back and forth across a warlike planet, facing savage beasts and hordes of savage men, for the love of a woman?"

Gomez and Morticia: Just... they are fun and always seem ready for anything often being co-conspiritors in the things that they do and talking it out. It is the ideal in contrast to a lot of the cliche dumb shleb husband and smart wife who loves him anyways... well I could include the Bundy's in there as they did a lot fo the same when it came to outsiders mistreating their family.

Guts and Casca: Maybe in my opinion one of the greatest and most tragic loves. From when they first meet and she the second in command and strongest is easily bested to the 100 man fight, bonfire of dreams to the showdown on the hill aand reunion. You see their feelings develop and Casca seeing how much Guts hurts himself to protect others. To the viciousness of the eclipse that breaks her and him seeking revenge to the point be goes too far almost in the Lost Children and realizes she is in danger after he abandoned her. The reunion in conviction at the heretics cave in one of the most beautiful splash pages to everything happening. THe berserker armor and his need to protect her even as she continues to fear and even hate him in her broken mental state... up until you see Farnese the girl who tried to kill her charged with caring for her and who does it to feel useful snapping because of how much pain he goes through and all she does is treat him worse and worse. Then finally the home of the elves, the tree and seeing the series from her perspective where most moments in her life were defined by Guts and griffith... to the bonfire of dreams and more. Her return to the world as the old casca remembering some things and the realization that after all of that.. after all the pain, fighting and danger... she can't look or hear him, can't think about the past with him because it will hurt her. Guts went through it all for her and in the end he might never be able to be with the one he loves.

There is a lot no talked about here and that is a cliffnotes of the cliffnotes of cliffnotes... but it is one of my favorite stories and while the series is continuing most see it ending after Miura's passing

Goku and Chi Chi: From when you first meet them up to the martial arts tournament when they get married all through Z and super. AAs overbearing as she could be there was never another who Goku ever looked at, rarely another to called him to do more then fighting to take care of his family. ANd with Toriyama's passing rewatching all of it renewed appreciation for the couple.

I think the first time I ever “shipped” two characters was Clark Kent and Lana Lang. Even as a very young child, I appreciated the fact that Lana seemed to love Clark even as an ordinary guy, whereas Lois wouldn’t give him the time of day until she found out he was Superman. Same when Gwen or MJ like Peter Parker before they know he’s Spider-Man, it feels more genuine. (It’s also why I don’t like pairing him with Black Cat.)

I’m not generally a fan of the enemies-to-lovers trope, but I do like bad boys/good girls as a pairing. Kevin and Gwen in Ben 10: Alien Force was my introduction to it, and Jane Eyre is probably the definitive classic. I also enjoyed Han and Leia’s romance in Empire. It’s a little undercooked in Return, but still has its moments.

Toxic romances… there’s a movie called The Lion in Winter, where King Henry II and his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine are an old royal couple whose massive egos and political machinations have poisoned their marriage. They spend the movie fighting (sometimes violently) over which of their sons will succeed them… but despite all the nastiness, you see that they really do love each other still. Which makes it all the more sad to see how power has corrupted that love.

DeadpoolMLP

Too many characters, I have
My history of shipping is long and complicated, but it all started when I was a wee lad watching Digimon.

I saw Tai get his heart broken on Christmas, and I've been living in denial of canon ever since. Tai and Sora got happily married, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Since then, I've been actively denying canon at every chance I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom