Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Rivalries Rekindled

wb1.png

TAGS:
Eloise Dinn Eloise Dinn
alexboarder.png

In the quiet hum of the training room, Aether stood beside Braze, its droid body casting a long shadow across the polished floor. The Shard encased within the elegant chassis of white and gold observed Braze with a serene, deep blue gaze, emanating a sense of calm and understanding. Braze, his determination renewed yet tempered by recent realizations, faced Aether, lightsaber in his right hand—the hand he was not born to wield with.

"Patience, Braze," Aether began, its voice harmonious, almost melodic, echoing softly in the spacious room. "Mastery of the Force, like mastery of the blade, is not about strength or speed alone. It is about balance, harmony, and understanding. Your journey now is rediscovering your connection to the Force."

Braze nodded, his expression focused, the frustration that once clouded his features now replaced by a quiet resolve. He ignited his lightsaber, the blade casting a glow that flickered in his pale jade eyes.

"Let's start with the basics," Aether continued, activating its own lightsaber with a smooth motion. "The foundation of all combat is stance and balance. Your non-dominant hand now holds your future, Braze. Embrace it."

Under Aether's guidance, Braze began the simple drills, moving through the basic forms of saber combat. Aether corrected Braze's posture gently, encouraging him to feel the Force flow through him, to let it guide his movements rather than relying solely on physical strength.

As they practiced, Braze's movements became more fluid, his confidence growing. The initial awkwardness of using his non-dominant hand slowly faded, replaced by a growing sense of competence.

"Excellent," Aether praised, its glowing eyes reflecting pride. "Remember, the greatest warriors are not those who never fall, but those who rise every time they fall. "
Braze let out a slow steadying breath as he adjusted his stance, igniting his lightsaber with a quick flick of his wrist. He lunged towards Aether, his movements graceful and fluid, the Force flowing through him. Aether blocked his attack with ease, its white-gold blade meeting his own in a burst of sparks and energy.

"Better," Aether continued, falling back into a defensive stance, its saber lowered yet ready.

Braze clenched his teeth, the sweat trickling down his brow from the effort. "Again."

"Perhaps we should take a moment yes?"

Braze shook his head. " No, I want to try again!"
"You need to take a break, Braze,"
Aether insisted, his tone leaving no room for argument. "Your determination is admirable, but without balance, it's destructive."

"I can't afford a break,"
Braze snapped back, his frustration evident. "Every moment is crucial."

"Exactly why a break is necessary,"
Aether countered firmly. "You're not seeing the broader picture. Rest is as much a part of training as the practice itself. You're ignoring the harmony essential to a Jedi's path."

Braze's grip on his lightsaber faltered, but his defiance did not. "And if I fall behind any further?"

"Falling behind is a matter of perspective,"
Aether replied confidently. "True progress comes from understanding and balance, not relentless exertion. You're risking more than you realize with this pace."

Braze looked away, the conflict within him clear as he groaned and let out a defeated sigh.

The wizened old master who oversaw the dojo hardly reacted to Eloise’s arrival, apart from giving her an acknowledging nod. Hers was a familiar presence; she had the tendency to arrive early and stay later than the other students, pushing her body farther than most of them dared.

They probably thought she was vain and proud. Vain, no. But proud? That was certainly true. Fulfilling her full potential still seemed possible, a goal to be reached. She wanted to be the best fighter in the Order—or at least, the best she could be.

Back when she was the new girl at the Temple, one of the other students had challenged her to a friendly spar after seeing how serious she was about training. Once they realized how rough she was, the challenges stopped. The guy she beat up had a Wookiee friend who got pissed off about it and challenged her to a second duel. He certainly hit hard; Eloise had walked away from that fight with a few cracked ribs. But it ended in a stalemate.

If she could do it all over again, she may not have been so rough. But it didn’t matter now. Her reputation for brutality had already been made, and they were unlikely to change their minds about her anytime soon.

Muffled voices behind the door revealed that she wouldn’t be alone. One she recognized as belonging to a training droid. She failed to recognize the other voice, and so when she finished getting ready and opened the door, she received an unpleasant surprise.

Braze.

Now, she didn’t hate the guy. Found him annoying, sure. But hate was too strong a word, considering how few and far between their interactions had been. She suspected his dislike of her was far stronger than hers for him, which she supposed was fair—she had bullied him at his own party, after all.

Well, she could just ignore his presence and go about her business. After completing her warm-ups, she glanced toward the row of training droids kept on hand for the students—

TEMPORARILY OUT OF ORDER

Of course. Of course.

Last edited:

While Aether maintained a humanoid silhouette, his essence was far from human. Constructed from remnants of old Jedi Securitron droids, his present state of existence was all thanks to ingenuity and resourcefulness. Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , through a meticulous process of repurposing and integrating various components scavenged from other machines, had given new life to this unique entity. Aether's form, though not originally designed for the delicate task of sparring with younglings and padawans, proved to be exceptionally adaptable and more than capable of fulfilling such a role.

Embedded within the droid's sturdy carapace was a Shard, a being of real intelligence and profound wisdom, accumulated over several lifetimes of field experience.

It had found a sense of purpose in aiding Braze in mastering the art of sword combat, offering insights and techniques that were the culmination of centuries of tradition and innovation. It was the least he could do for being revived from his long slumber and the eventual liberation from the temporary housing of a Mouse Droid.

Suffice to say, Braze didn't have any issues finding a tireless 'droid' like Aether for sparring. His real challenge, however, came from Aether's refusal to simply yield to Braze's whims. Unlike a typical training droid, Aether, endowed with a unique consciousness, often chose to voice his own opinions and correct Braze's actions whenever he deemed them misguided. This aspect of Aether, while occasionally irksome to Braze, was something that perhaps Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el was particularly grateful for, considering Braze's knack for landing himself in trouble.

On this day, it was no differnt. Their session hit a familiar snag with Braze's relentless drive clashing against Aether's insistence on the importance of rest. Aether, embodying both the discipline of a trainer and the concern of a guardian, had firmly suggested a break, prioritizing Braze's well-being over continuous training.

As Braze, somewhat reluctantly, took a moment to hydrate, Eloise Dinn Eloise Dinn ' s entrance into the training space caught his attention mid-sip from his metal water bottle. His gaze fixed on her, a mix of emotions stirring uneasily within him, manifesting as a tangible shift in his demeanor.

Noticing the prolonged look Braze afforded Eloise, Aether, ever perceptive, seized the moment to probe, "Is that a friend of yours?" The question, simple yet loaded.

At Aether's unexpectedly pointed question, Braze was caught off guard, the water he'd been drinking catching in his throat. The surprise elicited a sudden, ungraceful snarf, water spluttering from his mouth in a less-than-dignified manner. He coughed and patted at his chest.

Aether, despite his mechanical nature, didn't miss a beat. "Braze, such behavior is unbecoming of a Jedi," he chided, his tone carrying the weight of mild reprimand mixed with a hint of disappointment.

Turning his attention away from Braze's momentary lapse, Aether addressed the young girl with the purple hair who had just entered. His demeanor shifted seamlessly to one of utter cordiality and politeness, a stark contrast to his scolding words to Braze. "Greetings," he said, his voice embodying warmth and welcome. "Please, come in Miss. We're delighted to have you join us."

Braze, meanwhile, found himself grappling with a whirlwind of emotions—distress, concern, irritation—all vying for dominance. The suddenness of Aether's question, followed by his own embarrassing reaction and Aether's subsequent scolding, left him feeling exposed and flustered. A heated blush crept over the bridge of his nose to the tips of his ears.

He made a conscious effort to regain his composure, attempting to school his features into an expression of nonchalance. Yet, despite his best efforts, the remnants of his earlier discomfiture lingered, casting a shadow over his attempts to appear unaffected.

The juxtaposition of Aether's polished manners against his own messy reaction only served to heighten Braze's sense of unease. He was keenly aware of Eloise's presence, and the last thing he wanted was to appear uncouth or immature. This was a clear indication that beneath the surface, Braze was anything but indifferent to the situation unfolding before him.

Eloise sensed Braze’s eyes on her back. People stared at her all the time, whether for her purple hair or her unusual height, but it was rare that they were so shameless about their gawking. She heard the droid ask a question, followed by what sounded like Braze nearly choking on his drink. The feeling of self-consciousness only grew. But as long as he didn’t say or do anything stupid, she had no reason to care.

"Greetings. Please, come in Miss. We're delighted to have you join us."

Eloise looked at Braze’s sparring partner more closely, and realized it wasn’t one of the standard issue training droids. This one was customized. “Where did you come from?” she asked it, electing to continue ignoring Braze’s presence for the time being. “Are you available for training?

Braze looked away adopting a mousey demeanor as she came over to them. He was younger and shorter than her with a small stature and he seemed not the happiest to have Aether call her over.

Aether, standing tall turned his deep, serene blue eyes towards Eloise. His voice, carried a depth of warmth.

"I hail from the planet Orax. I am a sentient silicon-based lifeform known as a Shard. My journey has been long, filled with exploration and adventure across the galaxy. After a skirmish left me dormant, I was fortunate enough to be rediscovered and reawakened by Braze," Aether explained, his tone conveying a sense of gratitude.

Braze didn't know what to say or how to interact with her and had decided that studying the floor was more interesting at present.
"Braze, it is customary and polite to introduce your acquaintances to each other," he chided gently, his voice maintaining its warm timbre despite the admonishment. "It fosters a sense of respect and understanding among individuals."

This admonishment at least got the snowy haired half Echani to look up at Eloise glancing between her and Aether.

Turning his attention back to Eloise, Aether's posture straightened, embodying grace and dignity. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Aether, the Shard housed within this droid body. As for training, yes, I am uniquely equipped to offer guidance in combat skills. My droid body, while capable of wielding a lightsaber with precision, also allows me to integrate technological prowess with natural Force sensitivity, and culminate them with my depth of experience. This combination enables me to adapt to various forms of martial arts, and lightsaber combat, as well as unorthodox tactics, to provide a comprehensive training experience."

Aether paused. "My desire is to use my existence to promote understanding and harmony. Training with me is a unique, opportunity. "

He then extended a hand, a gesture of invitation and openness. His gaze, glowing softly, rested on Eloise with curiosity. "And you are?" he inquired, his tone imbued with genuine interest. "Braze has unfortunately neglected to mention your name. It is a pleasure to meet you."

She had been expecting the droid to reveal its designation and manufacturer. Instead she was treated to a whole spiel about how the droid was actually a sentient alien who was merely using a droid body. So, it wasn't a training droid at all, really—this was a sentient being, more akin to a cyborg than a machine.

Perhaps to others, realizing such a mistake would be embarrassing. Eloise saw no reason to feel ashamed, as she had no way of knowing that was the case. "Sorry, I thought you were a training droid."

But then Aether went on to imply that it was, in fact, a training droid in some sense of the word. Eloise pursed her lips. She preferred for there to be a clear delineation between Aether and the glorified punching bags which the Order had purchased for the students to train with. After all, if Aether was classified as a custom training droid, and primarily trained Braze, that wasn't exactly fair to the other students less fortunate than he. But as far as she could tell Aether was a member of the Jedi Order and Braze's friend. He was just quirkier than your average generic humanoid.

"…Training with me is a unique opportunity."

"Sure," Eloise muttered under her breath. As if they didn't live in a galaxy full of wacky aliens (and on one of its most cosmopolitan planets, no less), any one of whom could be called "unique".

The look on Braze's face was funny. His continued awkward silence, not so much. She was tempted to say something to him, if only to move things along, but if the little twerp wanted to squirm, that was his choice.

"Eloise Dinn." She gave her name to Aether without pretense or pomposity. "Braze and I don't get along. I used to be a lot… angrier, when I first joined the Order. I was mean to him one time and we've avoided each other ever since."

Did she want to have to avoid him forever? No. She didn't want to be friends with him, but she would've liked to lower those boundaries. It would make both their lives easier, not wasting time drawing lines in the sand.

Aether processed Eloise's introduction and her candid explanation with a calm, measured demeanor. "There is no need for apologies, Eloise Dinn, Misunderstandings are a natural part of learning and growth. My purpose is to assist and train, yes, but also to learn and evolve alongside my companions."

Aether paused for a moment, considering Eloise's words about her past behavior and her current stance towards Braze. "It's commendable that you recognize past angers and seek to move beyond them. Growth and change are good."

Turning slightly to include Braze in the conversation, Aether continued, "Both of you stand on the precipice of opportunity—for reconciliation and understanding. The Force binds us, not just in battle, but in our connections with one another. Perhaps, Eloise, you and Braze could find a new path forward ?"

Braze, felt a shift within him. The tension that had once defined his interactions with Eloise seemed less insurmountable now, more like a challenge they could both overcome. He glanced at Eloise, his expression that of apprehension.

"Look, Eloise, I think Aether has a point. We've both been through a lot since... you know, that time. And it sounds like we've both grown from it," Braze began, his voice steadier than he felt. "I've been working on myself, trying to be someone who can make a positive difference. And hearing you talk about moving past our old issues... it's encouraging."

Aether's overly formal therapist-speak was boring her to tears. Eloise nearly started to nod off where she stood, when Braze suddenly spoke up.

"Look, Eloise, I think Aether has a point. We've both been through a lot since... you know, that time. And it sounds like we've both grown from it. I've been working on myself, trying to be someone who can make a positive difference. And hearing you talk about moving past our old issues... it's encouraging."

Apparently Braze had been bitten by the same therapist as Aether, because his speech was also strangely stilted and unnatural. Then again, she recalled him going on an equally bizarre rant after she insulted his choice of movies at the party. She supposed she should just be glad that he was actually talking, rather than staring at her in silence like a slack-jawed four year old gawking at a stranger with a disability. That was a step in the right direction, at least.

Yeah, yeah,” she said with a wave of her hand. “I just don’t want things to be weird between us.” She gestured to the out of order droids. “There are no training droids available. So… Would you mind if I trained with you?

"I wouldn't mind if you don't mind my current state," Braze stated, his voice carrying a touch of caution. He stepped back, carefully pulling his arm up and hooking his wrist into his coat to keep his arm close and protected. With a smooth motion, he then drew his saber blade, its glow casting light on his face.

"I'm not so sure you're ready for this," Aether expressed, concern evident in his tone.

"Could do Jar'Kai before—I'm not completely useless," Braze argued back, a hint of defiance in his voice. He was not ready to be sidelined, not when there was an opportunity to prove himself, to show that despite his limitations, he was still capable.

"I can watch the two of you if you like and give you each pointers if you would prefer to spar with Braze," Aether offered a compromise, hoping to ensure safety while still acknowledging Braze's desire to participate and Eloise's request for a training partner.

Braze's gaze shifted between Eloise and Aether, searching for a sign of agreement or dissent.

Eloise already knew about Braze’s paralyzed arm. You couldn’t have the Chief Healer as your master without inadvertently keeping tabs on the medical histories of your peers. She didn’t consider it nearly as much of a big deal as Braze clearly did—Jedi lost limbs all the time in battle. If she were in his place, she would’ve chopped off her ruined arm and replaced it with a fully-functioning prosthetic by now. But it was his choice what he did about it, not hers.

Aether expressed doubt about Braze’s readiness, which earned a bit of a snappy comeback from the Padawan. Eloise smirked, bending at the waist in a bow of respect before the duel. Then she dialed down the intensity of her lightsaber, ignited the blade, and assumed a combat-ready stance, standing with her feet apart.

"I can watch the two of you if you like and give you each pointers if you would prefer to spar with Braze."

If you want,” she replied. “Just as long as you don’t get in the way…

Eloise made the first move, a probing stab toward the joining of his arm to his shoulder. If he was truly as handicapped by his injury as Aether implied, she wanted to test his limits.

Braze's response was swift, executing a parry with the intention of deflecting her blade away from its intended target. Although his right hand lacked the finesse, accuracy, and strength of his left, his keen eye for movement and timing remained unimpaired. His decisions were made with quick confidence, but his right hand struggled to keep pace with the commands issued by his brain.

As they sparred, Braze fought against the impulse to incorporate flourishes into his maneuvers, understanding that such embellishments could compromise the efficiency of his defense. Instead, he focused on executing precise, controlled movements, each parry and counterattack calculated to probe his opponent's defenses without overextending himself.

Normally his showy flourishes served a few other purposes aside from showing off; One of them was to refresh and adjust his handhold to stave off fatigue, and the other was to add a touch of unpredictability to a continuous movement flow. It would seem he was anxious to learn about Eloise too. Normally she'd be the type of older stronger padawan he would seek out to challenge.

Braze didn’t waste any time, parrying the thrust and going on the offensive. Eloise met him blow for blow, her eyes fixed upon the boy like a hunter on prey, looking for weaknesses to exploit. His paralyzed left arm was causing a small but noticeable lag in his movements. For a fighter who seemed to have based his style on speed and accuracy, it was dragging him down. She also sensed reluctance—his movements were a lot less showy than she expected.

Now, she could take advantage of his hesitation and use it to win the duel. But that would be cruel and unnecessary. Braze wasn’t a vicious enemy who needed to be stopped as soon as possible, no matter what. He was a Jedi Padawan in recovery, trying to learn how to overcome his injury.

Eloise was known among her fellow Padawans for her brutal, ruthless approach to fights—a product of her upbringing as the child of Sith parents—but she didn’t go all in against Braze. Despite their philosophical differences, Sith trained with lightsabers the same way Jedi trained, learning the same seven Forms. She tended to favor Juyo, the Ferocity Form, but for this spar she dipped more into Soresu, a defensive style. Perhaps Braze would find this insulting, but as long as he was holding back, she would hold back too.

Braze's awareness of Eloise's shift in strategy was immediate, his keen senses picking up on the subtle change in her stance and the defensive posture she adopted. It was a silent acknowledgment of his current limitations, a gesture of respect rather than pity, and it didn't go unnoticed. Training, in its essence, was a tool for growth, a means to sharpen skills and refine strategies within the safety of a controlled environment. It was about learning from each other, understanding different styles and approaches, and adapting to unforeseen challenges.

The spar became less about the physical confrontation and more about learning and adaptation, a chance for Braze to explore and adjust his style to work around his paralyzed arm.

As they continued, Braze's movements became more deliberate. He appreciated Eloise's decision to hold back, understanding it as a form of respect for his condition and an aid to his learning process. This seemed to bring a renewed excitement and a less tense more playful nature to his approach. He wanted to give her his best he could so that she could learn from him as well.

So Braze didn’t get offended by her pulling her punches. Good. On the other hand, Eloise was starting to get bored. He was a good fighter, quick and nimble, but dueling him with her hands tied was proving to be both a pain in the ass and not nearly challenging enough. And, well… Maybe she was just jaded after one too many battles, but she didn’t get how he could be playful while they were training in the use of lethal weapons. Perhaps if they were doing martial arts, fighting with fists and feet, she could find a less serious angle. But lightsabers were for killing people, and that was no laughing matter.

She couldn’t do that acrobatic stuff he seemed to favor anyway. Her size and build were designed for charging in and hitting hard, not dancing around.

So she started to amp up the difficulty, hitting a little harder and a little faster. Using the foot of height she had over him to her advantage, she swung down at his head and shoulders, trying to force him to raise his arms more in order to parry the blows, or duck and dodge to avoid being hit. Before, she had gone easy on him out of pity. This was what her being respectful of his skill looked like.

wb1.png

TAGS:
Eloise Dinn Eloise Dinn
alexboarder.png

Braze didn't seem to prefer to block. He had a more aggressive style where he tried to move in if he could. He was quick on his feet; that part didn't change. His movements would expend lots of energy and keep him light on his feet, always moving, always flowing. If he did block, it was very likely out of a moving combination flowing like water, or it was because he intended a disengagement. Braze tried his best to work to counteract what he could, but it was ultimately futile. Presently, he just couldn't keep up with her and would be caught here or there, either moving too slow or being unable to defend with strength. He would, however, try to give his best and attempt short, quick attacks if he had the opportunity to see any opening. What he presently lacked in precision and strength he more than made up for with a tenacity that could rival any ankle-bitting pup.​

Braze couldn’t keep up. Eloise went on until she found his limit, then disengaged, backing away from him.

You’re really struggling with that arm, huh,” she remarked. “Can it be fixed? Or is it stuck like that permanently?

TAGS: Eloise Dinn Eloise Dinn
dgxmq14-4d2aaa93-542a-4548-a4d5-8abe8fb38b16.png
dgxmmvv-a37f840b-d383-4727-8658-db139c0bb7ca.png

He panted lightly, taking a steadying breath and focusing on his breathing to gather his strength more quickly. "I am, yes. But I think that's just an excuse at this point... I can't keep crying about it and feeling sorry for myself. The doctors I spoke to didn't seem to think it would get better. They suggested I cut it off," Braze offered, his voice tinged with disgust at the very idea. "I don't know if it can be fixed. I'm hoping there is a way, but I haven't heard any good news yet," he added, his expression clouded by a frown.

"You're pretty tough," he stated, acknowledging her skill. He could tell she was a very good fighter, intuitive and attentive not just to her opponents' attacks but to their entire state of being. This ability to pick up on small, key details in a fight could lead to a quick and decisive victory, a trait he admired.

At least he wasn’t crying about it. “Yeah, kinda weird how they haven’t figured out how to repair nerves yet. You’d think a nice long soak in bacta would do the trick.” But perhaps the nervous system was too complex for the miracle healing fluid. “What’s wrong with getting a prosthetic?

As previously mentioned, Eloise would’ve already hacked her own arm off and replaced it with something else by now. Maybe with some cool cyborg upgrades, like claws or a literal hand cannon…

"You're pretty tough."

Correct.” She smirked. “You’re not so bad yourself.” That was about as much of a compliment as could be squeezed from her. “How’d you get to be so tough? You get picked on…?” He definitely seemed like the type.

Braze took this opportunity to sip some water.

"Well... there's nothing really... wrong with them," he trailed off. "My Master, Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el , has one, and my best friend, Loomi Loomi , has them... but honestly, they kind of freak me out. There's just some kind of maybe irrational reason when I start thinking about them that unnerves me and terrifies me deep down, you know? It's a foreign thing that's not me... I don't know... I just feel unsettled by them." He took another sip. "Mmm... I always tried to pick fights, typically with people about four years older than me. An eight-year-old and a twelve-year-old going off against one another seems like it'd be an easy match, right? For a 12-year-old and a 16-year-old, it would probably seem similar. I love fighting... It's an ingrained part of my father's culture, and it's something I get a thrill out of. It's always like a game, and you never know how it will turn out. You can learn a lot about a person and the way they think, the way they feel just by watching them fight and more intimately so when you engage them in a fight. How they move and the way they chose to do so speaks volumes where words simply cannot. "

He stepped back in to a fencing stance and readied his blade seemingly ready to engage her again. " I've noticed you wear lots of jewelry... is there a reason beyond aesthetics?"

I guess,” she muttered, her mind reeling back from thoughts of cybernetic horrors. Maybe some things were better left unexplored. “I hear they can mess with your Force connection. But that’s only if you have most of your body replaced with machinery.

Braze’s phrasing was sometimes weird—it was a little odd to specify that the people you picked fights with were typically four years older than you. Why not just say you like to fight bigger, more experienced opponents, or punch above your weight class?

Apart from that, Eloise was admittedly a little surprised. He seemed like such a… well, suffice to say she would never have pegged Braze for a fighter. Then again, it was usually the little dogs that were the most aggressive.

So you used combat to get to know someone,” she muttered. That meant he wasn’t having to fight for his life. Wasn’t killing people and waging war. It was all a game to him, something he used to do on the playground as just another way of making friends. Her brow furrowed. “How old are you now?” She guessed he was probably fourteen or fifteen, though it was hard to tell given how androgynous he looked.

"I've noticed you wear lots of jewelry... is there a reason beyond aesthetics?"

Some of it.” She held her arms in front of her, giving the bangles on her wrists a shake. Depending on whether they were made of wood or metal, they produced different sounds as they jangled together. “Which ones catch your eye?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom