Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Revisiting a conversation that needed to be had.

Be careful what you wish for.

REDEMPTION IS NEVER OUT OF REACH...
53950.gif

Equipment: Conservator(Lightsaber)
At the base of one of the larger Wroshyr trees, Caltin overlooked what appeared to be a Wookiee tribe holding a rite of passage ceremony. He was standing from afar, but well within their sites, the reaction they were giving him seemed to be positive, almost inviting. He still remained where he was, even giving heartfelt greetings to those who would approach him. He was waiting for Desbre Gensan to join him, he and the Padawan had a conversation previously and she requested some time to mull over the content.

While he accepted the possibility that she may need more, he would revisit the main idea of it. That and maybe see if she was observant enough to see why he was overseeing this tribe’s ceremony, one that is usually “closed door.” It will be a good conversation though as Desbre is still worried about being burned, he could understand that. This was partially the reason as to why he had a kinship towards the Arkanian as he two had been burned by two Masters, in the very same manner, making and breaking the very same promise.

Either way, the Padawan did not need to try to gain his respect, she had earned it from him in her temperament and will to stay among the Jedi. This was not about “Light Side” or “Dark Side” but her loyalty to her beliefs over her feelings. That is what he respected the most.
sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses​
Coming to Kashyyyk provided its own challenges to the Arkanian padawan. It was much warmer than her home planet. Granted the cities were heated. But still, the humidity and heat were almost oppressive at first. But she'd adapted and even found she mostly enjoyed being at The Rest. And it was rarely so bright or hot that she needed her lenses. But today she wore them but perched on the top of her head along with the light uniform she wore all the time. Her hands were stuffed into thigh pockets as she made her way to where she'd been called. Her mind whirled over the conversation with Caedyn. As she'd predicted, she'd been part of the conflict at Yverna. Things had been harrowing for the station and the fleet, but the boarding party carried out their tasks with speed and finesse. She had recovered from the lingering physical effects thanks to a brief dunk in bacta to fix the other minor issues.

It didn't quite cleanse the stains on her heart though. She supposed that people had died because of her actions, directly or as a secondary result. Destroying the MagCon. How many unconscious or wounded had been sucked out into the cold unforgiving nothingness of space? The blaster bolts she'd deflected. She was sure at least one found a lethal hit. The same was true on Deneba.

At the same time, they didn't weigh on her as much as she thought they might. The Kastolar Raiders knew that their actions could get them killed. They knew the risks and still chose to do them. They weren't innocent. Was she without remorse? No. But decisions made in the field in real-time were never perfect. With the sequence of events and no foresight, she'd performed to the best of her ability. It was admirable even. But those lives lost were replenished across the galaxy at large. And how much misery and suffering had they prevented with those few deaths? Not that it was a good argument, but... she wasn't losing sleep over them. Not the Raiders anyway. Certainly not the droids she'd dismantled either.

Nearing Caltin she silently took position next to him and slightly behind, arms and hands tucked into opposite sleeves as though she were almost a bit cold. She gave him a nod of deference and acknowledgment. This was not the time or place for her to speak just yet, as the ritual or ceremony continued. For the moment she simply watched, observing the master and the ceremony. She opened herself up more to the Force, and her senses, taking them in, and the play of emotions there. Distant familiarity in both directions and at least a welcoming state of mind toward the Jedi master, but not her. She merely gained suspicion and distrust. Why was this outsider here? With a sigh, she shrugged it off. She was used to that. Though it was not something she usually experienced from the Wookiees. They were often warmer and inviting.

The contrast led her to study Caltin closer, watching his face, then his posture, and body language. then back to the Wookiees in question. Then she looked closer. Then back to the tattoos he sported, visible with his sleeveless outfit. The same pattern was tattooed on them as some of them wore. That was a mark of honor if it was part of these folks' tribe. He was in fact, one of them, in their mind anyway. Save for being a Wookiee.

~Do I need to wait somewhere else,~ she asked silently, not quite looking up at him as she stayed put for the moment.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Her thoughts betrayed her, Caltin could feel the pain she was feeling, all of the guilt that came with all of the death that was dealt in recent weeks. It was not uncommon, in fact, he would be worried if she did not feel that way. Desbre had a heart and was indeed an old soul in just how she took the weight of her actions on. She was dealing with it the best she could and he could see that it was weighing on her. This was the perfect time for them to talk, even if her answer was one that he was not expecting. She needed advice and this was one time that he was one of the perfect Jedi to give it.

That was not all though as she was feeling something else, her feelings betrayed her too. Desbre had endured a life that no one should have to, all of the heartbreak in her time as a Jedi, the abandonment, the broken promises. No, he knew about that too, and he could help her there as well if she let him. Caltin could not help but think about the two masters who he had. The first one who promised he would never endure the life he had and then was all but gone from the Temple weeks later. Then the second, the one who made that same promise and did not leave the Temple but seemed to focus more on her personal life and her other students made him bitter.

It made him promise that he would never let another Padawan go through this if he could help it.

No Padawan, you are right where you need to be.

Putting his own hands behind his back, Caltin continued to watch the ceremony, two of the younger Wookiees saw him and waved. He smiled and nodded his head in acknowledgment.

This tribe, they are close-knit, a real family regardless of whether by birth or not. They protect each other very staunchly and if while they do not wish to take a life if it means protecting those important to them then they do not hesitate. We, as Jedi are much the same way, don’t you think? I saw you blocking blaster bolts that would have given me “personal air conditioning” on that carrier, and the way you handled yourself protecting the other Padawans on Deneba was amazing. Frankly, you are better and being a Jedi than many Jedi Knights, no disrespect to them, but you will make a great Jedi, I do not have to wonder, I have already seen it in a vision.

It is tough though, is it not? The carrier? Deneba? There was so much loss of life, it has to weigh on you. It does to me.

Looking at her as if he was expecting her to be surprised.

You never get over the weight of taking a life, even when you have no other choice. That is part of the reason why we go into those situations with no emotions. Taking a life sends a ripple in the Force that imbalances it. You never truly accept what you did, you just learn to carry it, it is an unfortunate, but necessary part of doing what we do. It is a hard life, but there are rewards, our brotherhood, our sisterhood, more. Those we save, protect, even if it means at the hands of taking another life, they help others, who help others, and so on. Literally, one life saved helps a thousand. I am not taking credit, but I think that is one of the reasons that our Temple is so close to this tribe.

Taking an offered hug from a Wookiee elder who walked by, he smiled again.

sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

She could feel the Force and his presence in it reaching out to her, brushing against her consciousness. Reading her, but it wasn't invasive. She didn't resist. there was no point. coming to talk, she knew this would be a hard conversation, and there would be a vulnerability in it. So she came, even hurting, with the hope that it wouldn't turn against her,. That this too wouldn't become the seed for another disappointment. Having fought beside Caltin, she had even more respect for him now. Not because of his skills in a fight. Sure that helped, but it gave her a sense of him and his character in a different way.

"No Padawan, you are right where you need to be."

The words hit like hovertruck, layered with meaning. He'd intended to have her meet him here. But more than that, she was meant to be here in this moment through the Force. And perhaps even at this spiritual and mental crossroads. Despite everything there was nowhere else she was supposed to be. A kind of relief welled up in her then. The way behind her lay fraught with so much uncertainty that just having a place to stand, even just for this moment in time was enough to tighten her chest.

Pursing her lips she nodded slightly, listening as he spoke of the tribe below. In many ways, that was what the Jedi were supposed to be. In some ways, she supposed that... the way things had gone with the Jedi until recently had in fact been much like how her own family had treated her. But she knew, more than just on an intellectual level, but a spiritual level that was not even close to what he meant or intended. Family stood by you when the chit hit the fan when things were at their darkest. When there seemed to be no hope and no way forward. Family didn't exile, forget, or abandon. Tribe didn't either. She'd started out believing that maybe the Jedi could be different. And sure, things had happened. She'd gained a lot from them. But up until recently, she'd spent many times feeling incredibly alone, even wandering the august halls of one enclave or another.

But... according to Jedi doctrine, attachment was dangerous. Really of any kind.

Caltin continued on to carrier and Deneba. Her hands tightened a little. But his assessment and appreciation... approval washed over her, and it stung like washing a wound with saltwater. It stung but it was cleansing, healing. At least in those moments, she'd felt like she'd performed well. Maybe not the absolute best she could. But at least she didn't feel like a walking disappointment. Physically, she supposed, most of it had been easy. The carrier had almost been fun. Not the destruction but the challenge. Testing herself in a real situation.

Most of the crew she'd encountered she'd tried to leave hurt but not mortally wounded or in danger. Only fighting to incapacitate. Droids were so much scrap though. But what bothered her then was evacuating the hangar into space. She agreed with Caltin's idea. It had been a good way to provide extra security for the boarding team and staunch off opportunities for the Raider fighters to rearm. She hadn't even hesitated. Not once, but especially then. How many people had she killed with her action though?

None of them were innocent though. They knew the risks of piracy and the life they chose to live. Raiding a base in Silver Jedi Territory could well wind up with them eating a blaster bolt or a lightsaber. Most of the ones in the hangar were unconscious though. They didn't have the option to choose to surrender. It made them no less dead, frozen, and floating in the vacuum.

Deneba... Deneba was tough. Slaves were a touchy subject with her especially. Again, she hadn't hesitated, moving to protect her classmates, her friends even. If she had any among the Silvers. It was her first instinct, her only thought at the beginning. She was the senior student, along with Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin . And Jorah turned out to be far more adept than she guessed.

And surprised she was. It didn't show a great deal across her face. But Master Vangor seemed so steadfast, sure, and swift in the moment. Decisive... was it? That was how he'd referred to her. He exhibited leadership and never seemed to waver. She'd wished so much she could be like that. At Deneba and the carrier, there'd been no time to hesitate, to question. Only act as needed. She had to make choices fast and couldn't dwell on them, just get them done. Later she could re-examine endlessly. And for the most part, she could find little fault in her part.

That had its own trouble attached to it.

As he moved to offer his perspective on the lives taken and the impact bad and good, she nodded. "So I am hearing. I've talked to Master Arenais, and Vanir Eris about these matters as well. I wanted to talk to Master Jairdain too." She took a deep breath and sighed. It only eased the tightness and pain in her chest a little, but it did help. "At least it's good to know I'm not alone in how I feel on the matter. I don't wanna hurt anybody or worse. But I know I'm not always going to have a choice. And I know that even if I have to take somebody out, that before their body hits the floor, another would replace them somewhere else."

"That doesn't make it any better. But when taking out someone will do more good than harm..." she trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid. would she walk that road again? Could she take a life if she had to? If it meant protecting a friend, a classmate, another Jedi... an innocent? Her hands balled into hard fists. She could feel her nails cut into them just a little. Could she do the job?

What was all the training for? Countless hours with a lightsaber? It wasn't just about personal development and self-mastery. Sure that helped, that came with it. But a lightsaber was a weapon. The same as a blaster. It was mean to inflict harm and destruction. If she truly felt that not taking any life was the way to go, she would have left it behind long ago. She had to face that she knew and accepted what that road would lead to, and she'd walked down it deliberately, willingly.

An image came back to mind, one that she'd seen in her mind's eye so many times. Standing in the gap, protecting others. Lightsaber in hand, even a different color, and design. One of her own making. Carrying one bore the weight of doing what it took to protect others, and ending a threat. The use of a lightsaber was decisive. Even if choosing to be less-than-lethal with it still might mean she had to end someone at some point with it.

But as she'd expressed before that some beings were too dangerous. And some just too dark, without hope. It was better to just remove them from the equation. That was a thought she had a hard time reconciling as a Jedi. But as a pragmatist, it was rather simple. Like cutting out cancer. Recovery might be difficult, but if it spared the whole, or even just made their quality of life better, it was usually worth it. The raiders were a good example. They were cancer and a plague, leeching off of the rest of the people of the sectors they were in. Some could see reason, but a lot of them were the definition of bad eggs.

In truth she didn't feel bad about the results, so much as what it said about her. In a way, she'd become an instant mass murderer. Which was probably worse than most of them. Whether it was during a raid or a war operation didn't so much matter. She knew what her actions would do, and she chose them anyway, no matter how she tried to justify it to herself.

"I still can't wipe my head around how many people--" I killed "--we wiped out. And how that is somehow 'okay.' Just because they were the 'bad guys' though. They would have probably killed us or worse. They obviously tried. But the ones that were down and unconscious? Self-defense is one thing, but I should be in irons right now." She couldn't quite meet his gaze, especially now that she thought about it. She was everything her grandfather had thought, and worse, about her. He was right to send her away, to exile her.

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

There is nothing the Desbre was saying that was unexpected, nothing she thought that he himself had not once believed. Her response to the situation meant to him that she was still going to be the Jedi that he had thought that she would be. Her thoughts about her grandfather had betrayed her though and he had felt bad, but that was something she would have to carry and learn to get past, the Padawan was doing well, but she had a ways to go.

He had to learn how to move along himself as his concerns brought him to anger, so she may have alternative motivations, but the result was the same. The thing is though she was having a hard time still and that took a conversation like this. The big guy did not believe that he would get through to her today, but the Padawan would learn, she already had, that she was not alone in her feelings. The problem is that Desbre was feeling like a murderer.

I still struggle with these issues myself, Padawan. Every Jedi does. However if I thought you belonged in chains right now, I would put myself in the first. Young lady, you did nothing wrong and I will explain to you why. Walking over to the railing and leaning over onto it, Caltin offered the first explanation.

You said yourself, you had no choice. You exhausted all options and even offered a warning to everyone you could. I am not saying that you should take joy in the fact that you took lives, but what was the alternative? Do they take your life? In doing so, they take the lives of truly innocent? Do you think if you were unconscious that you would necessarily be offered quarter? I do not claim that each and every pirate, or thug, or whatever are pure killers, but you protected those you had to the best way that you could. It is not an easy one, a truly difficult one in fact but you made the only choice that you could.

Looking back at the ceremony, he clarified.

Take this tribe for example. When I was still a Knight, myself and a colleague, we saved this very tribe, their ancestors at least, and this tree. We took a lot of life in the process, but what we did save the entire people, and their home. Look at them now, they are thriving. It is not always like this, but what might have happened if we did not respond? His rhetorical question ended in a shrug.

It is often difficult, a thankless life, but the little things that bring joy to it outshine the hardships I believe.

sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

She thought it over for a moment. If he paid close enough attention, he'd literally be able to see her simulate the battle in her head, based on all the facts and figures they knew about it, but also feeling it out. "Military training or not they had the weight of numbers. Only a couple squadrons of starfighters and a couple ships of the line against a significant battle group. The station had practically no armaments." She looked to Caltin then. "In theory by doing our jobs we saved ..." She did the numbers in her head off of a Fermie estimation. "... thirty to sixty thousand lives. Assuming they voided the station and then scooped up the stuff they wanted on the float."

While the numbers game was a crappy, terrible game to play the fires seemed to have gone out. It put things in a different perspective. It wasn't a justification, but at least she could live with it. It might have been a mistake, but it was an honest one. The needs of the many outweighed the few in this case. And he was right. They would likely have killed her while she was unconscious. Or she would have woken up in a collar and ... She pushed that thought away. The last thing she needed to think about being captured, especially by a group like the Raiders. She'd have been sold off for a bounty, renditioned to the Sith, or just kept on hand as their plaything.

For a time she grew quiet still, and even her mind seemed to quiet, though the look on her face still wasn't great. But it seemed she had finally put down the cudgel she'd been beating herself to death with internally. After a moment she reached up to wipe the corner of one eye. "I suppose, by that measure we did a lot of good that day," she managed finally, though it came out barely audible, as she leaned against he railing, watching the proceedings. The rest of it began to ease as she thought about it more. How many had they kept out of chains? While the pirates may have just wanted stuff... there was no telling what they would actually do with a group of defenseless people they could exploit .Des didn't know of anyone in her family history, so far, that had ever managed to do better than that. And they hadn't lost any of their people on the strike team. A couple of the commandoes had taken a blaster bolt but nothing fatal. All things considered, that was damn fine work. Little waves of relief flickered off of her at that though. After a moment she reached up and lightly rested her right fist on the back of Caltin's left shoulder for just a moment. He helped, and with that simple gesture came a wave of gratitude. Though as he hand fella way, here vision watered again.

This was more cleansing than painful as some of the damage was cleaned and scraped away on the inside. Uncomfortable, but necessary and healing in its own way.

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

She was getting it, in her own cute way. Of course, there was more to it than that, but she would come to that in her own time. What was important was that Desbre Was beginning to understand that the life of a Jedi while often one of being alone, could also be more. There were good parts to it, a lot of them and that is what he was trying to get at, especially being at the Wookiee ceremony. Sure, Caltin was tough and decisive, it was because he had to be, which just standing back and watching the world then there would be a lot more turmoil than there was now. No, the big guy was not trying to believe nor under any delusion that he was responsible for any safety in the world but he knew the good in the world.

There had to be the little things to celebrate and take heart in, otherwise, the world and life of a Jedi would be too morose to survive in for some, and others who accepted it would soon fall to the beliefs of the Dark Side. That was something that almost happened to the massive Jedi Master too many times, he had a chance to nip it in the bud with this Padawan, he had to take it. Then a young one walked up to Caltin giving him a big hug to which he reciprocated with a big smile.

Well, hello! Congratulations. The young Wookiee chuckled and looked over at Desbre for a moment and then back at him speaking more as if asking a question.

Yes, she is. The big guy’s response came with another look at the Arkanian Padawan and another question. This time Caltin laughed as if embarrassed, almost maybe blushing a little. No, no she’s just a friend. Then another question.

She might become that, you would have to ask her. The young Wookiee looked at Desbre as Caltin stood behind him and spoke through the Force into her mind. -”He wants to know if you are my Padawan. His name is ‘Llabruf’.”~ No, the massive Jedi Master did not tell her what the young one asked about before, she could probably figure it out.

Then the young one looked back at Caltin and pulled something out of his satchel, the big guy nodded.

Go ahead! I’m sure she’ll like it.

When Llabruf would finally do so, he would be offering a charm with a carved emblem of the tribe on it.

This is a big honor to the tribe, he wants to make you “honor family.” Or something along those lines.
sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

Des drew up to her full height as the youngblood approached the two of them. If Caltin was big, the Wookie was towering. It wasn't hard to imagine him being about the same size as one of the Drael, but even they were more heavily muscled. But the Wookiees were gentle giants, most of the time. Though their ferocity was legendary, much like the Cathar.

She didn't speak or understand Shyriwook though she supposed it was a good idea for her tenure on Kashyyyk. Among the first things she'd learned was to sense the emotions and thoughts of others, listening, and feeling them out. It allowed her to bridge the gap in understanding and meaning, even if she didn't have a direct translation. Caltin was also doing a wonderful job of responding in such a way as to allow someone with half a brain to fill in the gaps.

When Llabruf asked Caltin about her status she blushed a little. No, just a friend indeed. There wasn't that kind of connection with the big man. Not that she was aware of, though the way he blushed as well made her smile a little. At Llabruf's question to her, a smile tinged with a mixture of warmth and sadness, or pain drifted across. "We're discussing it," she said, picking at one of her nails, though they were really more like claws. She glanced at Caltin for a moment, brows lowering, but knitting together, rising in the middle... uncertainty and worry followed. "I want to say 'yes'," she answered honestly.

What are you so afraid of?

That voice again. She still had no source for it, only a guess that it came from the Force. Always in important moments that seemed to shape her in some way.

What indeed? She'd grown on her own over time, and sure she'd been in some dark places mentally, spiritually, nobody had lifted her out of them but herself. There had been some help along the way, but years ago, she'd committed to the course. It didn't matter if she had a teacher, a mentor, or not. She would do it, one way or another. Caltin, wise and powerful as he was, was a guide. He would help, and if he walked away as well, she was better for the time spent. She'd take what she learned from him and run with it. She couldn't cling to everyone forever. Especially during times of war and uncertainty. Instead, she would be grateful for the opportunity and the Force to bring them together. Regardless.

Perhaps that had been why Brandyn left. He quickly realized she was too dependent on him. Her second teacher had felt like an assignment, meant to learn some things, and then move on. Mal had meant to help her with healing and recovery, teaching her to slow down. And that she was not as alone as she thought.

What would Caltin teach her? Besides what she'd been learning in the last few months.

Finally, she took a breath, then the matter seemed to pass from her mind. Resolved. "So yeah. He Is, I guess. For however long," she said.

As Llabruf offered the charm, she extended her rather tiny hand by comparison and let it rest there, looking it over. "I... don't understand. You don't know me, and I have not earned such a thing," she protested gently. It was indeed a rare honor. She would have expected such a thing directed to Caltin for his past service and kinship. But she was a nobody and had hardly been on Kashyyyk for a few months. She wasn't so much saying 'no' as wondering as to why. At the same time, she reached out to them both mentally. Des tried her best to impress upon them her bewilderment. Not to make them confused, but so that they might feel and understand ... hopefully, so that Caltin or the youngblood could clear the matter up.

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Caltin had a feeling that Desbre was going to become his Padawan, she needed someone to get her over the proverbial finish line and he wanted to be that someone. The kinship that was there in regards to their pasts was one that he could feel for. As she seemed to mull over the very thought, he smiled inwardly. This was an important moment in her life and the smile was actually a big start.

Llabruf was funny, he seemed to think that he was being some kind of matchmaker between them. Of course, he was little more than curious as to what was going on. Of course, Caltin could help with that too and he turned around to ask the massive Jedi Master about what her reticence to accept the gift was for, he looked at her, and back. She doesn’t know.

The Wookiee then pointed to one of the tribal banners, and then to the charm, this was followed by a finger running over Caltin’s matching tattoo. Tapping the tattoo several times and then the banner and then the charm, Llabruf then pointed to another one that looked similar, but still noticeably different. There was a pattern to what he was trying to say to her, and Caltin understood completely but he waited until the young one was finished. The exuberance was something to be experienced, and it made him happy to give congratulatory and welcoming hugs to other passersby. Several of the Wookiees had yet to meet the big guy, clearly but noticed the "ink" and he went from an "outsider" to "family" just like that.

Llabruf’s grandfather was one of the families I saved that day so long ago. I actually summoned a rainstorm to stop the fire that was set on this very tree. Not only that, pulling two branches carrying families down to the ground is the subject of one of their fireside songs. His grandfather was what? 20? Looking at Llabruf quizzically the Wookiee nodded in acknowledgment. Anyway, the tribe wanted to remember Quazic and my efforts when they noticed the patch on my shoulder. It was similar to their tribal mark, and as a way of thanking me, they changed it and made me a part of the family, so to speak.

Llabruf nodded excitedly. I am not taking credit for it, but the tribe has welcomed every Jedi since. They consider me “family”, not just honorary, and simply because you are here, you are the same to them. That is why he offered it to you.

Llabruf asked Caltin another question and he nodded. Go ahead, I’ll translate. “I do not know you, I do not know any of the Jedi here. You are his friend, and that is good enough for me, as long as you are around here and a friend to my brother, you are family.” Llabruf offered a hug as he laughed.
sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

Des listened to Llabruf and Caltin, looking back and forth between them. As Caltin relayed the story, she blinked a little. summoning a rainstorm? That sounded more like magic than something a Jedi was capable of. In her head, she quickly broke down the physics that would be needed to do such a thing. how much air mass and water vapor he'd have to move. And then the branches. Wroshyr trees could be kilometers tall, but even the shortest was three to four hundred meters in height, and incredibly sturdy. To be able to create a route to the ground like that? She might have skill and ability, and she knew some of her fellow padawans looked at her with wide eyes. She'd always excelled in initial lessons, but none of them, the Paddie Pack, really saw how much time, effort, and training on her own she put in. But those feats seemed so far beyond anything she was capable of. And the way Caltin and Llabruf spoke of it or felt on the matter indicated there was no boasting or embellishment in it. The ink was proof enough. The notion made her head spin.

Studying up on Wookiees, but also seeing it in action, Des knew how much honor, loyalty, and courage meant to their people. It might have meant less to most standard Arkanians, but she wasn't most. Honor, family, courage, loyalty, all had come to mean a great deal to her. In some ways the Jedi, all Jedi were family or were supposed to be. But not all of them acted like it. But the Jedi and People of the Trees had a long history. Caltin was just one example, and over the centuries that bond always seemed to grow stronger, like branches of a tree interlocking to support the villages and cities here.

While some might have seen extending such a bond to another Jedi as political, there was absolutely no sense of that from Llabruf. instead only the sense that he wanted to include her. But moreover, he would fight and even die to protect her. A nobody, really. Some of it, she sensed was simply because she was Jedi. But also to her connection to Caltin. But too, she gained a sense of approval in general. Wookiees were usually a good judge of character, even at a young age. And if Caltin thought she was worth something, and also a Jedi? And what Jedi generally stood for, that was indeed good enough in his book.

As she listened to the two of them, with Caltin directly translating. But she also listened through her ability with Empathy and picking up surface thoughts it was a layered, nuanced flow of information and meaning. Des wasn't used to having people that wanted her around. In recent years she'd felt like an outcast, a pariah, even among the Jedi. Even if she'd done everything perfectly. Nothing she did felt like enough. Nobody noticed or gave a care. Her own flesh and blood certainly didn't. But it seemed Caltin did. At least she hoped that didn't change. That she wouldn't somehow disappoint him as well. And now Llabruf? There was little reason for her existence to matter at all to someone like him. But he accepted and wanted her there, just because he thought she was a good and worthy person. Even if she didn't think she was. Des found her vision turning watery. It was hard to see. Someone else giving a crap... It was hard to handle. It would have been easier if he had been cruel and told her to leave. But that wasn't the Wookiee way.

Reaching up, Des covered her face with both hands. The last thing she needed was for either of them to see her cry. But she could feel the Wookiee's concern. Had he offended her? No, quite the opposite. The Arkanian lost all sense of pretense or decorum and leaped forward into the Wookiee and the hug with a strength that surprised him. As the fuzzball hugged her back, hot tears followed. There, with her face buried into Llabruf's chest, it was warm, dark, and safe, at least for the moment. After the better part of a minute, she eased up, and let herself be lowered back to solid ground. "Sorry," she managed, though her voice was raw and cracked, though she hadn't made a sound before. Slowly she gave a small, but a growing nod to Llabruf. "I accept," she said quietly.

Turning her attention back to Caltin, she expected to see a disapproving stare. An emotional outburst like that was not the Jedi way. Or even really the Arkanian way. But she didn't care. It was impossible to be stoic all the time. Nevertheless, that moment of intense light within the padawan seemed to vanish beneath the clouds again as she bowed her head some. "Sorry," she murmured again folding her hands in front of her.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

As Llabruf hugged his new Padawan and more Wookiees showed up, he acknowledged them for a few moments. The conversation was the same, they all wanted to know who she was, and he explained that she was another Jedi, his Learner. Of course, they all seemed to have the same reception as Llabruf and that seemed to take awhile. The big guy was patient but happy that the walking carpets were so welcoming. It was a good feeling to see each member of the tribe who met her immediately saw her as one of their own, it was a real showing of how one action can have an effect of this magnitude.

When they were gone, Caltin was leaning against one of the railings. Feels good, doesn’t it? To be a part of something bigger than you? I had abandonment issues and emotional troubles until I came across these guys. It really showed me just how important what we do.

Turning around with probably the most uncharacteristic smile that Desbre had ever seen, the big guy went on. Now down to business. Thank you for accepting my offer. I know that it must have been hard for you, which is why I appreciate the gesture. You are capable, decisive and are going to be an incredible Jedi Knight, I foresaw it long ago, but you still have some learning to do. That’s where I come in.

Leaning back and looking up, he admired one of the branches, especially those who were swinging from it. We’re not going to simply sit in a classroom, or stand out on the lawn. I’m going to teach you out in the field, it is the way that I work. The reason is simple, and you have seen it yourself, many Jedi that has a fantastic education, in theory, have problems in the field. This is because nothing ever goes by the proverbial book. I will not teach you simply how to fight, but I will enhance your natural instincts and help with a bit more. All I ask is that you do what I already know that you will. I want an honest effort out of you. Try and you will never truly fail. He chuckled… No matter what some Jedi say.
sjogrungesmol1.png

Last edited:

54100.gif

Desbre was covered in Wookiee fur and she didn't give a care at all. Nor did she care that her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy from crying. She felt much lighter, and while raw and emptied out, she felt better for it. The attention and welcoming of the rest of the Wookiee tribe with so many names and faces were a bit overwhelming. But in a good way, she supposed. Whether or not things would hold true with the Wookiees, she had no idea.

She knew a few from the spaceport portion of the Rest, and a few were working on her own ship in dry dock. They'd been more than kind and considerate. Never complained when she worked alongside them in repairing her old beater of a vessel. And her time on Kashyyyk had shown her a lot, along with her studies. But to be in the midst of them, to be welcomed in such a way. It was far better, far warmer than anything she'd had at home, and even among the Jedi. Part of her ached to trust that they would be there, that she could rely on them. Even if it was just to be among people who accepted her just for being who and what she was.

At Caltin's question, she gave him a small nod after hopping up on the railing, facing outward over the long fall. That didn't seem to bother her, though she hooked one foot into the railing, locking herself in place. "That's what I had hoped the Jedi would be," she said quietly. It was surprisingly honest, and while some might have seen shade in it, it was a statement that was layered with old disillusionment but also renewed hope. The last few months had been a change, since finding the Silvers. She had other padawans to learn with again, and some she might venture to call 'friends' like Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin .

As Caltin finished with his list of expectations she gave him a small smile, a ray of light that poked through the clouds once more, even those were thinner now over her heart. "Good. As much as I like attending classes, and even training on my own, I'm done sitting on my hands," she said. In truth, she was just about done asking for permission to do what she felt needed to be done. There was too much going on in the galaxy at large for her to just mark time. At this point, she didn't feel she was living up to her potential. "The last year or so has shown me I should be out, doing more. Between myself, a friend, and Master Lepri we took out a band of pirates and slavers. And while I have my regrets about the command carrier, looking back... There was a lot more good than harm out of that." She shook her head. "And then there's Deneba. I'd been wondering if I was ready to go out there. Not just as some racer from Arkania, but as a Jedi, even if only a padawan." She reached out and lightly rested a fist on his shoulder, just for a moment, then folded her wrapped hands in her lap, glancing down at them.

As she did, she touched on a tiny little bit of the Force, letting it flow through her like a smooth stream. A tiny mote of light seemed to appear between her palms, maybe the size of a gnat before it winked out. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. "My last Master had to tell me to slow down and take it easy," she murmured, thinking back with a small pang of loss before that faded. "But my thought process was the harder I train, the more I sweat then, the less I'll bleed when things really heat up. So far it's held true. Even so, I feel like things are about to get harder." She glanced over at him. "Failure is a good teacher, but I'll do my best to never let you down, boss."

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

A part of her initial reaction stung, but he understood it completely. Caltin had his issues at one time himself with abandonment just like she did. It made him bitter and jaded around Masters, he could not trust any of them, even as a Knight. It was until the big guy himself completed his Master trials that he let it all go. Through all that time though, he always held the opinion that because they were all on the same side, that was good enough. He did not have to like any of them to be around them. Then it was the conversation that he had with Master Tarkin that gave him a lot of the closure he needed.

That was so long ago, he had actually forgotten about it until now, but it was actually strengthening the connection that was needed between Master and Padawan. He learned to heal and to trust, he could teach her and maybe she would not have to go through what he did anymore. When Desbre brought up the past year, Caltin was pleasantly surprised that she was learning to accept her actions. It was not easy, in fact, it was chiggin’ difficult but there was a necessity for their actions and realizing that may seem cold, but it was important when it came to moving forward.

My friend, as long as you try, you not only will never truly fail, you will never disappoint me. It was his turn to put a hand on her shoulder. Life is a matter of making choices, good and bad. Remember, no matter what may have happened in the past, it has helped shape you into the person that you are. The Jedi that I see. We can’t change that about ourselves, but we can do two things, we can learn from it, or we can wallow in it. You said yourself you want to learn from it, and that is good enough for me.

Removing his hand as he looked off at one of the lamps down on the ground that was inadvertently knocked over, Caltin summoned a strong gust of wind that snuffed out the flame before it could do damage. I’m glad that you don’t want to take it easy, I understand why he told you this, but no, that is not beneficial to you. I am not going to jam every lesson I can into one, but as I said, build on your strengths and then teach you more. You are decisive, and any Master could trust you in the field, be it in an investigation or a combat situation. You are also compassionate, one of the most admirable traits a Jedi can have, this is a part of what we will enhance as well.

Hopefully by the time we part ways, no longer as Master and Student, but as “Brother” and “Sister” you will not have to think about any action, it will come to you naturally. The same clumsy Wookiee, in the middle of his silly dance, that knocked over the other lantern just knocked over another and has yet to realize that a patch of his hair was burning. The massive Jedi Master instinctively reached out through the Force and drew the hydrogen and oxygen available quickly. The resulting effect brought a small rain cloud over the clutz and was drenched, but safe. There was hearty laughter and while the Wookiee was initially offended, he saw the burned patch of hair and had a look of relieved shock. With a shrug, he looked at his new Padawan.

Like that.
sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

Des nodded, listening. In truth, Caltin felt more like a friend than some Master lording over her. Keeva had been like that. In some ways, Des wondered if she didn't challenge the woman or bother her in some way. In a very short time after their first meeting, Des had seen through the pretentious face the woman put on. And quickly growing tired of it had chewed on someone that was supposed to be her superior. She never forgot that, but she wouldn't stand for that fake presentation. She didn't have the patience or time for it in those days. Maybe it was a defense mechanism and she'd ripped the bandage off. But Caltin had never seemed to put on airs. Des appreciated that greatly. Brandyn had been mysterious, though quite likable. She'd learned a lot from him. But she'd tried to push past that aloofness. Maybe that backfired.

"Someday," she agreed. For now, she was still feeling the big guy out. There was no telling how long they would be paired up, whether it was a few weeks, or years. The track record had been weeks to months. But she hoped if it was short, it was only because she had passed her Trials, and not because he bailed on her too. Her trust was at a breaking point. But then again, did it really matter? She was competent enough for the field, otherwise, she wouldn't have been in it, or felt like he could take her out there. That was good enough.

As he put out the first fire she straightened up. And then the second. Those were not abilities she had trained in, though she assumed they were just branches of the Alter tree, and subsets of Move Object or telekinesis as some called it. Though it was more accurate to call it psychokinesis, or mind movement. "Okay, those are some interesting tricks. You've mentioned weather manipulation. Might be good to know," she said. She hunched then just a little, picking at her claw-like nails some, fidgeting. "There are some things I want to learn," she murmured, then glanced at him sidelong. "I was going to learn active healing from Master Aragon when my recovery period was over. I learned how to hibernate, and speed up healing through that, but I'm talking like what you did for that head wound I had." She chewed the left side of her lower lip in thought. "I had some fighting training before I came to the Jedi. So that helped get a leg up with learning Shii-Cho. I've been experimenting with some of it. A lot actually. I think I'm going to need to requisition a saber or two that have variable length and power to practice and work on it. Or build my own. I've had this one ever since I left home. It's mine, but it's not mine. You know?"

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

He smiled and offered a wink to the Arkanian Padawan as she observed his abilities with the elements. Though surprised that she had not learned them yet, it was definitely on the list, though now not as an enhancement, but a learning experience. Oh don’t worry, you’re going to. Healing, the physical aspects, skills with a saber, all of it, it’s going to be fun! There was a genuine feeling towards the comment, Caltin was not the teacher that he once was, but this was clearly something that he wanted to partake in.

She was still a bit nervous to speak to him freely, that will come with time, but still, it was cute to look at, like a little sister asking for a favor. She seemed to be excited to learn more and that was good, he would give her the opportunity to feel like she was taking advantage of what he had to offer, in a good way. Then Des mentioned having to build her own saber, this was a right of passage and something that he would be a part of as well. He never enjoyed going to Ilum, it was cold and he had to wear gear that itched, but the events that would follow were what he wanted to be involved with. Desbre understood what it meant to have your own lightsaber and the connection between a Jedi and a Kyber crystal. One of our first trips is going to be going to Ilum, the planet is colder than a fart in a dead Taun-Taun but it is an experience you'll never forget. I've gone twice.

The point is, Padawan, that you’re not going to be a carbon copy of me when we’re done, but whatever I can teach you, I’m going to.
He shrugged. I'll teach you how all that I can, you just have to be open to it, and that means trusting me. He offered a smirk and a wink. Her thoughts betrayed her, he could sense the apprehension that was there and had absolutely no issue with it, Caltin was just having his fun.

Seal it with a hug. She could use another.
sjogrungesmol1.png

54100.gif

Tag: @​

As Caltin spoke of training and what he would teach, and making it fun, she smiled more then. "Good." Though in truth she expected training to be quite hard, even with all the time and effort she'd put in. But fun always made things go better, faster. In truth, she hadn't allowed herself much fun or enjoyment over the most recent years. The few exceptions had been when she was flying. Getting to race over the lake near where she'd crashed on Anse's world... that had been some of the most fun, and most at peace, she'd been in for some time.

As he spoke on Illum, she nodded once. "Twice," she said, sampling the word. She knew it was a frigid ball, and that didn't bother her in the slightest. Her own homeworld was quite cold. Illum was supposed to be a challenge, and there were records of countless Padawans going, and it was always a test with lessons learned in the process. Not Force techniques, usually, but lessons learned about one's self. Perhaps she would gain more than just the heart of a new lightsaber or pair of sabers. "I suppose that makes sense, as you carry two sabers."

"Good. I don't intend to be a carbon copy of you, or anyone else. I've my own path to walk. Always have, and ... I'm just not you, even with many similarities. But I wouldn't mind walking that path with a friend while I find my way forward," she said, nudging his shoulder with hers. At his mention of a hug, she scooted closer on the rail and simply pulled him into a hug, twisting to face him. For someone who seemed much smaller, the girl had some serious strength to her. Then again, it was hard to tell with the uniform.

zJxNdnE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom